Have T.V shows gotten better or worse over the years?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

There are plenty of good shows, but there are also plenty of bad shows. Thinking back to the shows that you watched when you were younger or when your parents were younger, would you say that T.V shows have overall gotten better or worse over the years?

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Absolutely better.

breaking bad, true detective, the shield, 24, justified, longmire, game of thrones, lost, fringe, house of cards this past decade is a golden era of tv and is only gotting better, sure there is crap but crap has its viewers and aways will but more and more supurb actors are coming to tv to really ACT, and they no longer have to worry about getting stuck as a tv actor, examples are matthew mcconaughey & bryan cranston of course.

animation on the other hand... is kinda at a low point IMO

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on interest.. it's really a subjective topic.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its the only entertainment medium that got better with time.

Video Games are boring.

Movies are pointless.

Music is soulless.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I think comedies have gotten worse, but dramas have gotten better.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Better, the Golden Age of Dramatic Television started with Oz/The Sopranos.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By movieartman

Movies are pointless.

expand of this please?

@eyedcyou said:

absolutely

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

Better.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

About the same. There have always been good shows and bad shows. Seems I always have about 5-6 shows on my must watch list. Been that way as long as I can recall.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nickthedevil

Much better. The real reason people look back at anything, be it Television or music, and see nothing but gold, is because all the "crap" is forgotten with time, only the great stands through time. Every era is going to have the same amount of good and bad, and always have. People who complain otherwise are ignorant to that fact.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Sons Of Anarchy
  • The Blacklist
  • The Shield
  • The Wire
  • Breaking Bad
  • Orange Is The New Black
  • Longmire
  • Fringe

I think Tv Has gotten much better. However "The CW Network" is a black hole. I hate everything that comes from it.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely better.

Animation on the other hand... Is kinda at a low point IMO.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Much better. The real reason people look back at anything, be it Television or music, and see nothing but gold, is because all the "crap" is forgotten with time, only the great stands through time. Every era is going to have the same amount of good and bad, and always have. People who complain otherwise are ignorant to that fact.

I agree with the part I bolded, but wonder if that's true, how can you say todays' T.V is "much better" if it also has the same amount of good and bad compared to 10-20 years ago?

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil said:

I agree with the part I bolded, but wonder if that's true, how can you say todays' T.V is "much better" if it also has the same amount of good and bad compared to 10-20 years ago?

Subjective, really. My Mother will say the opposite, her father would say the same, and so on. My children, maybe your children will say the same.

Orwell once said, Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the last, and wiser than the one that comes after it.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil said:

thats possibly true, its just that the GOOD we have now while mabye the same amount of it, is much better than the good of previous eras

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@movieartman said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Movies are pointless.

expand of this please?

@eyedcyou said:

absolutely

My bad i mean industry, not medium.

Why the movie industry is getting worse.

Crappy movies make more money that good movies.

Smart movies or even movies that try to be more that only fun type movies are getting hate for the fact they try to be something more.

Executives have huge control and power over movies.

CGI is making everybody lazy, the things made with CGI today are just ugh, it hurts the acting too, since you can notice actors dont know what is going on.

Actors are there to be anything but actors and the ones that are, get hate for the fact they are too serious or douchebags.

No Real Suspension of Disbelief, today movies dont have internal logic, which it makes everything look and feel fake.

Being realistic in the wrong way, lens flares, shakyness, "realistic science fiction",confusing edition, etc..

Love it or hate it mentality, there is no middle ground with movies.

Action movies start dying for several reasons, but mostly by the lack of people that believe in the genre and support to fix this.

Only big budget movies, studios fear low and middle budget movies.

Movies are either indy artsy bull or mindless Blockbusters.

Audience only complaints but does nothing to change.

Everybody is playing safe, no one wants to take a risk.

Several genres die or decide to straight to DVD.

Straight to DVD people lives in a movie ghetto, dont matter how good they are, this people is marked even by audience.

Movies dont stand for something anymore or stand for the status quo and the ones that stand for something try to convert you.

Screw creativity.

Emphasis on pandering to every single demograph to make money back = Simplifying movies.

I know the past wasnt so great, most of movies have always and will always be bad movies, but the industry by itself got worst with time.

What it made TV better but the rest worst?, TV stop caring for marketing over substance at the end TV is kicking everybody in the ass, because they notice people will always like good things.

TV was the only one that cared for the audience rising standards and demands.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By legacy6364
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Sons Of Anarchy
  • The Blacklist
  • The Shield
  • The Wire
  • Breaking Bad
  • Orange Is The New Black
  • Longmire
  • Fringe

I think Tv Has gotten much better. However "The CW Network" is a black hole. I hate everything that comes from it.

This. So much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@neghead said:
The Batshank Redemption
The Batshank Redemption

@aros001: Worse.

No Caption Provided

Batspotting is my fav......... Choice life Robin. Choice life.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only good thing that the CW puts out is arrow and flash, other than that, they're bullsh!t. TV is pretty good, animation is at a low. It may sound silly, but I preferred the classic 2d shows. Soooo much cgi

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may sound silly, but I preferred the classic 2d shows. Soooo much cgi

no almost everyone feels that way

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Indie Video Game's are better than ever, Hotline Miami, Bastion, Papers Please, Cave Story,And Yet It Moves, They Bleed Pixels, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy are masterpieces, and we have the upcoming Hotline Miami 2, Talos Principle, Vox Populi Vox Dei 2, Super Hot and Cuphead. Gaming industry got better IMO (there are some AAA titles that are really great too).

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@movieartman said:

Absolutely better.

Animation on the other hand... Is kinda at a low point IMO.

@jacthripper said:

It may sound silly, but I preferred the classic 2d shows. Soooo much cgi

no almost everyone feels that way

Both of these in regards to animation.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

This is pretty true.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

@movieartman said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Movies are pointless.

expand of this please?

@eyedcyou said:

absolutely

My bad i mean industry, not medium.

Why the movie industry is getting worse.

Crappy movies make more money that good movies.

Smart movies or even movies that try to be more that only fun type movies are getting hate for the fact they try to be something more.

Executives have huge control and power over movies.

CGI is making everybody lazy, the things made with CGI today are just ugh, it hurts the acting too, since you can notice actors dont know what is going on.

Actors are there to be anything but actors and the ones that are, get hate for the fact they are too serious or douchebags.

No Real Suspension of Disbelief, today movies dont have internal logic, which it makes everything look and feel fake.

Being realistic in the wrong way, lens flares, shakyness, "realistic science fiction",confusing edition, etc..

Love it or hate it mentality, there is no middle ground with movies.

Action movies start dying for several reasons, but mostly by the lack of people that believe in the genre and support to fix this.

Only big budget movies, studios fear low and middle budget movies.

Movies are either indy artsy bull or mindless Blockbusters.

Audience only complaints but does nothing to change.

Everybody is playing safe, no one wants to take a risk.

Several genres die or decide to straight to DVD.

Straight to DVD people lives in a movie ghetto, dont matter how good they are, this people is marked even by audience.

Movies dont stand for something anymore or stand for the status quo and the ones that stand for something try to convert you.

Screw creativity.

Emphasis on pandering to every single demograph to make money back = Simplifying movies.

I know the past wasnt so great, most of movies have always and will always be bad movies, but the industry by itself got worst with time.

What it made TV better but the rest worst?, TV stop caring for marketing over substance at the end TV is kicking everybody in the ass, because they notice people will always like good things.

TV was the only one that cared for the audience rising standards and demands.

Agreed. TV has gotten matured and creative while movies (apart from a few) have lost all their creative edge (Marvel studios, is one of its killers but every studio has lost what once had made it great.) TV feels alive and movies are dead and flat.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@lyrafay: I agree. I mean I love movies more than anything, and I still like modern movies, but they're becoming too stereotypical. Of course there is always the brilliant new films each year that don't make a lot of money because they're considered "indie" films and only open to select theaters.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jas0 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Indie Video Game's are better than ever, Hotline Miami, Bastion, Papers Please, Cave Story,And Yet It Moves, They Bleed Pixels, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy are masterpieces, and we have the upcoming Hotline Miami 2, Talos Principle, Vox Populi Vox Dei 2, Super Hot and Cuphead. Gaming industry got better IMO (there are some AAA titles that are really great too).

Indy isnt part of the industry, that is why they are called indy.

Mainstream gaming is getting pretty boring and the horror that video games pretty much play themselves.

@eyedcyou said:

@lyrafay: I agree. I mean I love movies more than anything, and I still like modern movies, but they're becoming too stereotypical. Of course there is always the brilliant new films each year that don't make a lot of money because they're considered "indie" films and only open to select theaters.

And that is the sad part, audience its a huge part of the problem, lets only eat what is givng to use and not looks for something better.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Some of them have publishers, some are their own, they're a part of the game industry. There are a plenty mainstream games that are nice: Deus Ex: HR, Bioshock, TF2, The Witcher series, The Wolf Among Us/The Walking Dead, Mirror's Edge, Portal series, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and much more.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@eyedcyou said:

This so much this

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jas0 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Some of them have publishers, some are their own, they're a part of the game industry. There are a plenty mainstream games that are nice: Deus Ex: HR, Bioshock, TF2, The Witcher series, The Wolf Among Us/The Walking Dead, Mirror's Edge, Portal series, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and much more.

Games gotten really good at replicating the narrative structure and the language of film, but that's come at the expense of them developing they're own identity, in terms of seamlessly blending story and gameplay.

Also there is the horrible thing that i say about movies, gaming is so mainstream that games are trying more people play them, this generate the same effect we see in movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I guess they've gotten better. I don't keep up with a lot of TV shows, but the quality of shows does seem to be improving. I think that's largely due to cable TV. Cable TV is usually better than network TV. That's not to say that network TV doesn't have good shows, but cable TV has fewer restrictions and allows for more creativity.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends. I say it's 50/50, at least from the shows I use to watch to the ones I watch now.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: All the games I've cited have great stories and great gameplay. Of course, there are a lot of horrible games, but we've got better games than before imo. I love playing old games, like Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and much more, But still, their stories are not so good as before.

About movies, I agree they've gotten worse. TV idk, TV in Brazil is just about Soap Opera's, it's full of garbage.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether or not shows are worse or better depends on what channel and the kind of shows you enjoy. For instance, shows on broadcast networks have been getting worse...part of that is because they can't compete with niche networks and part of it is because they are quicker to cancel new shows before giving them a chance to find its footing (ex: M*A*S*H the show with the most watched finale of all time was almost canceled in its first season). For me personally, there isn't much I care to watch on TV anymore. And when I do watch TV, its mostly older shows than newer.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Personally the shows I used to really enjoy 10 years ago are quite painful to watch now or are about average. The best shows are definitely newer. I would say the same about movies. Although some of the classics can't be ignored, alot of films just don't measure up these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think TV shows are gradually running out of ideas and looking into untouched literature for new shows. Problem is we've thought up of everything there is to think up of, inventors are rare these days, same for inventions, jokes are the still the same and old movies get remade into new ones. TV shows aren't any different. Too many CSI type shows, cartoons aren't any different and superhero shows would soon be over and done with in the near future.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think drama has gotten fairly better.

90's had solidly better peak-comedic moments though.

Animation is definitely getting a lot worse. I just wish people would stop watching these shows and just go back to classics.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tv is def getting better while movies have been getting worse and and worse.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41 JediXMan  Moderator

Drama is getting better. I can't say the same for animation and comedy for the most part, though.

RookyNubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RookyNubee

!

Loading Video...