Hardest Basketball Position?

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Poll Hardest Basketball Position? (9 votes)

Center 44%
Power Forward 22%
Small Forward 11%
Shooting Guard 0%
Point Guard 22%
No Caption Provided

Out of the five positions in Basketball which do you feel is the hardest?

Round 1: Purely Physical

Round 2: Purely Mental

Round 3: Defensive

Round 4: Offensive

Round 5: Overall

My answer would go like this

Round 1: Power Forward/Center

Round 2: Point Guard

Round 3: Center/Power Forward

Round 4: Point Guard

Round 5: Power Forward/Point Guard

(Keep in mind I play Basketball and know that NONE of the positions are easy on any category. I may a little bias though cause I play PF :P)

• 
Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meant to put this in Off-Topic.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By jumpstart55
  • Point Guard for all rounds.
  • Becuase unlike the other positions which require a decent amount of height and athleticism..The Point Guard is supposed to control and survey the entire teams offensive play, they have to be human calculators and have great Basketball Iqs...Whereas the other position just require pure athleticism and height to play effectively...And plus alot of Point Guards are like 6 feet - 6 foot 4 against guys that our 6 foot 7 to 7 feet...basketball is literally set up so that guys that are really tall, and athletic will dominate..Thats why i got loads of respect for guys like Chris Paul, John Stockton, Steve Nash,Tony Parker and Isiah Thomas who were able to dominate just from point guard positions...And now since theres so much spacing in todays NBA and its less physical your starting to see these athletic hybrid shooting guard Point Guards like Russel Westbrook, John Wall,Kyrie irving and even Steph Curry...But these guys aren't pure point guards per say and rely more on athleticism and their own offensive capabilities then pure Basketball IQ....And then you got giant point guards like Magic and Lebron who are just a nightmare for opposing teams..Because not only do they have great height but they have an immense basketball IQ and can read defenses and pass to the open man like no other.
Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: Even physical aspects? I can tell you first hand the forwards especially PF and Center take a brutal amount of punishment on a daily basis and are still expect to get boards, drive and play defense and the bigger mans as well as being able to shoot a good 2-3 feet outside the paint. I have a lot of respect for PG's because of their ability to lead and be strategic but even on the defensive sometimes the bigger mans like Centers help to lead defense.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1. Center; PF close second
  2. PG; a good point guard facilitates for the whole team, yet you still need to be able to score
  3. Center
  4. PG/SG; point for the same reason as #2, but what good is a SG who can't score?
  5. Center; point guard close 2nd
Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By jumpstart55

@batman3000 said:

@jumpstart55: Even physical aspects? I can tell you first hand the forwards especially PF and Center take a brutal amount of punishment on a daily basis and are still expect to get boards, drive and play defense and the bigger mans as well as being able to shoot a good 2-3 feet outside the paint. I have a lot of respect for PG's because of their ability to lead and be strategic but even on the defensive sometimes the bigger mans like Centers help to lead defense.

• Oh physically? In terms of the taxing on the body?
  • Then i guess i would go with Power Forward, maybe Small forward and definitely Center since those positions literally requires you to rush into people, be super defensive(Which always lead to really bad injuries) and constantly block shots..
  • But really all positions come with their share of risk and are very taxing on the body, especially Small Forward/Power Forward,Shooting Guards and Center..Since alot of these guys are usually very athletic and grinding for over 100 games a year for at least a decade..Thats major wear and tear on your body especially your legs, knees, tendons etc.. These athletic high flying injuries are especially true for shooting guards,Look at most of the most athletic players like , Dwayne Wade,Kobe,Tracy Mcgrady..Because they were so athletic they sustained a number of massive,spasmy injuries over their career...But really this is true for any overly athletic player in the NBA over the course of its history...
  • Westbrook is going to be in a very rude awakening when he enters his mid 30s(The guy is constantly grinding on the hardwood and goes harder then anybody)..I hope hes get a ring before its too late, becuase i really dont see that guy slowing down even when father time gives him subtle warnings. And i love how Lebron is pacing himself the older he gets and improving his shooting, very smart..It reminds me of how Jordan started perfecting the heck out of his fadeaway jumper once his jumping ability went with the wind.
Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Batman3000

@jumpstart55: Lol I agreed with pretty much everything you said.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: Which position overall do you think would be the easiest?

Maybe shooting guard. It requires the least out of you defensively, and as long as you can score, you pretty much meet your requirements. Hell, if you're a prolific scorer, all of your other flaws are almost overlooked *cough, cough JAMES HARDEN cough*

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Batman3000
HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missionary

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Center usually is the most taxing on the body, then PF.

Most taxing mentally is easily Point.

Most taxing defensively? I've played both center and a guard and I'll tell you running after a shooter going around screens gets pretty tiring. Big men don't move a lot but you gotta worry about position and helping call out screens and patterns.

Offensively, guards and forwards. All you have to do offensively for big man (center) is pretty much set up on the block, set down screens, flash high, and that's it. Guards, in a set offense, have to run around, screen, get open, and all that jazz.

Hardest overall, not sure. Probably one of the guards. It kind of depends on the offense you're running as well.

JdG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1: Centers hands down. Even before this new era of basketball, PFs were at least expected to be able to make a jumpshot whereas Cs spend the most time posting up, defending the rim, and rebounding.

Round 2: PGs easily. They are supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor.

Round 3: Depends on the era. Pre mid 2000s, when pick and rolls weren't used as much, I would say Cs and PFs. Just think about it. If you were a C during the 80s, 90s or early 00s, you were expected to guard guys like Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Moses Malone, Kareem, McHale, Barkley, Karl Malone, Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, etc. These guys are either insanely physical or unbelievably skilled. Not only do you have to guard these guys in the post, but you were also expected to guard the rim against guys like MJ, Kobe, AI, Clyde, Wade, Penny, Tmac, Isiah etc. In this era, however, PGs have the most difficult defensive assignments. This is the golden era of PGs. You have to stay in front of guys like Kyrie, Westbrook, Steph, CP3, Lillard, Isaiah, Nash, etc. It's also exhausting to play the whole game running after your assignment while avoiding picks.

Round 4: I would say SFs. To be a good SF in this league in whichever era, you need a combination of size, athleticism, and ball handling skills. I mean, where do you start as a SF? Develop your post game? Practice shooting 3s? Get better at ball handling? This combination is very rare to find, which is why the SF position is the least stacked in NBA history.

Round 5: Overall, I would have to say SF. Offensively, for the reasons I stated above. Defensively, you are expected to be the most versatile defender on your team. You need to be capable of guarding quick guards, as well as physical big men.