Green Lantern Series Finale 'Dark Matter' Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

MY HEART CAN'T HANDLE THIS MANY FEELS, DAMMIT! First, BATMAN & ROBIN #18 obliterated my emotions on Wednesday, and today, Green Lantern: The Animated Series hit me with a superbly heartfelt finale. Seriously, producer Giancarlo Volpe wasn't lying when he said this finale would have "lots of feels."

It's not all tears, though. When it's not tugging at your heartstrings, it's blowing you away with some of the most visually stunning and exciting action sequences in the series. This is science fiction action at its finest and most joyous, folks. Virtually every character here had a chance to shine and make you cheer during the ginormous battle. Larvox slashing away with six swords filled me with bliss, Ch'p saving Guy was adorable, Razer's blade was brutal and who doesn't love seeing Kilowog devastate with some massive firepower? All of this is going on as the vast space is littered with various other members of the Green Lantern Corps engaging Aya's army. It's a real treat for our eyeballs and the gigantic space battle was nothing short of spectacular.

No Caption Provided

Before diving into the heavy feels, the show offered quite a few laughs as Guy Gardner continued his snarky attitude. He's an arrogant jerk, but they've managed to make him a lovable one. He even has the brass to hilariously interrupt a fantastic and touching moment between Kilowog and Razer ("YAWN!").

The opening speech by a Guardian was a lovely parting note for the show, too. They know they're facing impossible odds, but that won't deter their spirits and they'll fight to preserve the great thing they have going. It's clear we're no longer talking about organic life vs. Anti-Aya... we're talking about the show's creators vs. CN's terrible decision not to renew the program. It's nice to see them get a well deserved jab in before departing and certainly something long-term fans of the show will appreciate.

Razer and Aya... man, this dynamic has been handled masterfully. I was super skeptical at first, but this blossomed into a shockingly powerful and gripping love story. I won't dive into details -- not even vague ones -- but it yet again delivers plenty of genuinely heartbreaking moments. It's a beautiful conclusion to a fantastic tale, that's all I'll say.

This finale had a firm grip on my emotions and didn't falter for even a second. If I wasn't shocked or saddened by the events taking place, I was cheering and ecstatic over the insanely fun action and beautifully impressive visuals. Brilliant job, Green Lantern: The Animated Series. It's horrible to know the show is no more, but 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, right? I salute you and truly hope there will be a blu-ray release of the complete series.

No Caption Provided

Oh, and way to tease us with that ending! That was every bit as powerful and exciting as any post-credits sequence in a Marvel Studios film.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. He wants to live in an alternate universe where GL:TAS action figures were made and the show was renewed for a second season.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By Fantasgasmic

We all knew it would end this way.

No Caption Provided
krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By krspaceT

Maybe the show can channel Family Guy and return?

Ben3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ben3000

I'm really hoping this show comes to Blue-Ray format. The finale was amazing, both this and Young Justice went out with a bang. I'll give the new DC Nation block a shot.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mutant God

huh weird the promos for next week said new episodes

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Master_Thief
Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Mutant God said:

huh weird the promos for next week said new episodes

Wait!!! Maybe this could all be an elaborate ploy by Cartoon Network to make both Green Lantern and Young Justice more popular by cancelling them, thus creating more of a demand, thus making the shows more watched

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Mutant God: Yeah, that just shows how much effort CN put into DC nation. They only have promos mentioning new episodes, so they use them all the time regardless of their accuracy. I first noticed this when they would say "And now an all new DC Nation short" and it was one I'd seen a few times already.

BryanEllison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BryanEllison

It's not that complicated

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aeroman

A moment of silence for green lantern:the animated series a good show that ended to early.

And now let us give the middle finger for whoever decided to end this show

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Rixec

No way the fans will let CN get away with this after the finales of GLTAS and YJ! If they were raging before they'll unleash all of hell now! And let's not forget how GLTAS ended:

That lone blue ring flying after Razor. There is still Hope.

Ben3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ben3000

For fans of Young Justice, Christopher Jones(One of the people working on the show) posted a survey. He will be using this data for something big so please fill it out and tell your friends: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15Fweu22NZ1ASUzeUUwkbFrAh6WmC1OKxyJ58zxP4O7I/viewform?pli=1

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ARMIV2

Cartoon Network has a real problem with getting too bored too quickly with shows. Case in point: my avatar.

Like seriously, they throw all their money into one big cash cow (Adventure Time) and act as if the world can go on while shows with much better plots, writing, humor, and adventure are left to suffer.

hazmat103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hazmat103

That was such a great ending. Seeing Razor flying away with the blue lantern ring chasing after him was so cool.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Darkmount1
Avatar image for flyinggrayson22
FlyingGrayson22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By FlyingGrayson22

@BryanEllison said:

It's not that complicated

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ptigrusmagus

Will Razer be in comic book form? I think he could save Red Lanterns because that book is lacking. Or even Corps have him wield red and blue.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#18  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Well, at least in the end, there was hope.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ms__omega

@hazmat103 said:

That was such a great ending. Seeing Razor flying away with the blue lantern ring chasing after him was so cool.

Yes that made me extremely happy to see that ending what a way to go out like that.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ms__omega

@ptigrusmagus: Doubt it blue rings cancel out the powers of a red ring.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Do you think you could interview the Producer of the show and ask that question about a Green Lantern Animated show movie again. We need a movie so could you ask him the question again so we can get a answer?

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Raw_Material

Really enjoyed this episode and the entire series this season, and can't see it perish like how it's currently doing after 18 episodes of the new animated series on Cartoon Network. 'Dark Matter' was such a great episode to end the series with a bang and hope all will be well for the Green Lantern franchise.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KnightRise

@Ms. Omega: Well his Red powers were leaning toward passion-fueled rather than rage-fueled, a la Prince Zuko, so maybe he could be special and use them cohesively?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@ptigrusmagus said:

Will Razer be in comic book form? I think he could save Red Lanterns because that book is lacking. Or even Corps have him wield red and blue.

red and blue dont work together.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By JLDoom

This was an amazing last episode, definitely my favorite

Man, I'm gonna miss this series

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@KnightRise said:

@Ms. Omega: Well his Red powers were leaning toward passion-fueled rather than rage-fueled, a la Prince Zuko, so maybe he could be special and use them cohesively?

i doubt thats how it works. Red Lantern rings run on rage and hatred, not passion

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KnightRise

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@KnightRise said:

i doubt thats how it works. Red Lantern rings run on rage and hatred, not passion

I'm thinking he's special. I know red and blue conflict, but if Kyle Rayner can possibly access the entire Emotional Spectrum, who says Winnick (RL writer, right?) can't alter how the rings work for a unique newish character?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@KnightRise said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@KnightRise said:

I'm thinking he's special. I know red and blue conflict, but if Kyle Rayner can possibly access the entire Emotional Spectrum, who says Winnick (RL writer, right?) can't alter how the rings work for a unique newish character?

nah, its Joshua Hale Fialkov. i guess its possible, i just dont really see the point.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By weaponxx

Am I the only one that cried during this episode? Wow, it was so gripping and I loved every second of it. And as usual, I agree with k4tzm4n, the ending was just as exciting as Marvel Studios post-credit scenes, if not better. I know I am buying this as soon as it comes out.

henkuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By henkuo

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ptigrusmagus

I seeeee. I would really like to see Razer in comics either way, he is a cool character.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

There is hope that Razer will find Aya. Could there be hope that Cartoon Netowrk will bring back Green Lantern Animated? I hope so.

Moby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Moby

Loved the ending this show tried it's hardest to get to the audience's emotions. And it succeeded sad to see the show taken away. Cartoon Network is heartless towards it's few fans.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By umbrafeline

this was a good show from tip to tail, i hope it gets ressurected along with the junior superfriends

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#35  Edited By BlueLantern1995

A better finale than I had hoped. I am still shocked that Razer conquered his rage and that he is now a member of the Blue Lantern Corps(this while not seen is proven by a blue power ring following him).

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Very sad to see it go. Hopefully there is a DVD/BRD release in the near future. Loved this show I tell you.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Do you think you could interview the Producer of the show and ask that question about a Green Lantern Animated show movie again. We need a movie so could you ask him the question again so we can get a answer?

He wants that to happen (he retweeted someone making that request) but I doubt he could tell us the honest likelihood of something like that so soon.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mrzero1982pt2
@k4tzm4n: If it happens, I hope there are 2 to completely bring a decent end to the series. Well maybe three. Go the marvel route and make Final Crisis, then Blackest Night and end the series with War of the Green Lanterns. Since all of the films are basically self contained, Final Crisis would not really affect anything in the DCAU. 
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Razor was such a great character.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers