Grant Morrison's Batman run or Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run

• 118 results
Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Grant Morrison's Batman run or Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run (121 votes)

Grant Morrison's Batman and Son - Batman Inc pre 52 52%
Geoff John's Green Lantern Rebirth - Green Lantern pre 52 48%

I want to buy and read one of these collections but can only afford one at a time, so which first? I have Arkham Asylum graphic novel, new 52 Action Comics 1-19 and Batman Inc 1-10 and love all of it, and I have every new 52 Geoff Johns work and love all of it so I'm in a quandry. I'm basically leaving it up to the votes at this point because I cant decide.

• 
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I don't like Morrison's fascination with the occult - particularly, his refernces to the devil, Satan, goats, pentagrams, etc.,etc. His views on time ( the "Hyper Entity" ), are interesting and can be fun, albeit hard to follow at times. I do understand that he uses occult themes and images merely as "props" in his storytelling, but I find them annoying. He has said, "When Niche said that God was dead, he failed to mention that the devil also died in the same tragic accident." However, another famous author expresses the opposite sentiment when he (C.S. Lewis) says, "There is no nuetral ground in the universe. Every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God, and counter-claimed by the devil." So is it all just creative genius and fun on Morrison's part, or is he flirting with ideas, concepts (dare I say forces) that he doesn't fully appreciate?

I for one actually love all those references to the devil,biblical monsters etc,afterall the devil is the ULTIMATE enemy.

I have read Johns GL all the way up to the conclusion of the Third army and honestly it doesn't come close to Morrisons Batman.

Morrisons Batman comes with so much content,story,references,homages and themes that entire books could be written trying to find and interpret them.

Ofcourse Johns does deserve credit for making GL a major franchise,for the introduction of Larfleeze and Atrocitus,for making Sinestro a badass and for delievering one of the best cosmic stories out there(Sinestro Corps War).But after Blackest Night and onwards his run became increasingly simplistic,retcons stopped making sense(how does the First Lantern fit in with GL history? Krona screwing with the Manhunters etc),constant crossovers,meaningless events,one dimensional villains,power levels/abilities all over the place.Also while the expansion of the color spectrum was seen a move to broaden the GL universe it has infact only succeeded in doing the opposite.It's like comparing Micheal Bay with Christopher Nolan.

It's really a no brainer,Morrisons Batman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Johns GL.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane said:

Also a bit rich that Johns' GL fanboys find Morrison's Batman "needlessly complex"? They would, considering the underlying logic to all of Johns' GL stories is much simpler.

"That guy has a lot of emoshunz, but that guy has even MORE emoshunz, and the Guardians kept secrets because no emoshunz, and zombies come up everywhere because they eat emoshunz, and Krona captures the entities because King of Emoshunz, and at the end of each story, yet another confirmation that Hal Jordan has the greatest emoshunz of all!"

Honestly, Johns' runs on Flash and Teen Titans are vastly superior to anything he did on GL.

This is the EXACT reason why certain aspects of Morrison's run is ridiculous. The main reasons of which are summarised by @squalleon: in post #79. Batman is ONLY a human with no special powers, other than his superior intellect. Then somehow, Grant Morrison writes him as if the only being to rival Batman in terms of powers is freaking Dr. Manhattan from 'Watchmen'. He went back in f**king time with amnesia and didn't get his ass handed to him by the caveMEN, pirateS, or that friggin' serpent. That can hardly be considered as GOOD writing.

At least Green Lantern has the excuse that he has a power ring, or that Superman has the excuse that he's an ALIEN...but no. Not for Morrison. A human, no more special than you or I, can take on armies, monsters, aliens and Gods.

How can you possibly call that good writing?

WTF are you talking about? did you even read the story? those cavemen DID own him,heck he was knocked out when Marsha flipping Lamaar struck him with a golf club.

Batman is far more special than you and I,now I'm starting to wonder if you've read any Bat books at all.Also it doesn't matter if you're human or alien,what matters is consistency and that's where Morrison excels,all the fights and feats are well balanced and consistent with what was established.Johns GL on the other hand is all over the place.Look at his deplorable handling of the Spectre,or how about Hal Jordan killing Krona with a SINGLE energy blast(OMG Hal's so emoshunz),or how about that crappy Third army which can own GLs' but can be stalled by shotguns and pistols,I dont even wanna mention those lousy emotional entities.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm actually surprised by the amount of appreciation for Morrison's Batman run here. In other forums that I've visited, the general consensus seems to be that Morrison's run is overrated and reader-unfriendly while Johns' GL run is responsible for revitalizing the character and his mythology.

I can't give a fully-informed vote, simply because I haven't read anything in Johns' GL beyond the Sinestro Corps War (which I didn't really enjoy - shocker, right?) - and I've never cared much for GL. Morrison's Batman run is...interesting, but a little uneven, personally. There are some bits that I really enjoy (Clown at Midnight, Batman & Robin), and some parts that left me kinda meh (Batman & Son, RIP). Maybe I need to pickup the complete run and give it one collective read at some point.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By entropy_aegis

@veshark said:

I'm actually surprised by the amount of appreciation for Morrison's Batman run here. In other forums that I've visited, the general consensus seems to be that Morrison's run is overrated and reader-unfriendly while Johns' GL run is responsible for revitalizing the character and his mythology.

I can't give a fully-informed vote, simply because I haven't read anything in Johns' GL beyond the Sinestro Corps War (which I didn't really enjoy - shocker, right?) - and I've never cared much for GL. Morrison's Batman run is...interesting, but a little uneven, personally. There are some bits that I really enjoy (Clown at Midnight, Batman & Robin), and some parts that left me kinda meh (Batman & Son, RIP). Maybe I need to pickup the complete run and give it one collective read at some point.

Are you talking about comicbook movie? the morons there hate anything with substance and intelligence.They give good comic fans a bad name.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Veshark

@entropy_aegis

I was actually thinking about CBR Forums when I wrote that. Of course, I'm not saying that all of them dislike it, but I got the general impression that a big number of posters there didn't really click with Morrison's Bat-Run.

But yeah, CBM's posters can be a little...inflammatory. The comments section alone can get pretty...inane, for lack of a better term. The site does get some interesting scoops though.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@entropy_aegis

I was actually thinking about CBR Forums when I wrote that. Of course, I'm not saying that all of them dislike it, but I got the general impression that a big number of posters there didn't really click with Morrison's Bat-Run.

But yeah, CBM's posters can be a little...inflammatory. The comments section alone can get pretty...inane, for lack of a better term. The site does get some interesting scoops though.

Hmmm I honestly thought Morrisons Batman got more love on CBR than here,there are many users there who discuss,explore and dissect Morrisons work in ways that are fascinating.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis

I don't know, that was the general impression that I got while lurking. There are some great Morrison threads there, definitely, though.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By Billy Batson

Every time I visit CBR I see the majority of the users loving it (the opposite with Snyder's current run, heh).

BB

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Think people will remember Morrison's run for revolutionizing the character.

andrewwann7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By andrewwann7

I am actually doing the same thing, I chose GL first, and then I'm gonna collect morrison's batman, the reasoning is because I have a bunch of Batman stuff already but have never read GL before and had heard good things, and now I would say GL is probably my 2nd favorite superhero, right after Bats

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I like Batman better but I like John's GL run better than Morrison's Batman run.

Batman and Son, and Batman RIP were good. But the others were...mehh

Geoff Johns totally expanded the GL universe with the many lantern corps, especially the Sinestro Corps. He had Ion, explained Parallax.

Green Lantern Rebirth, Secret Origin, Rage of the Red Lanterns, Blackest Night, Brightest Day.

And now counting the New 52, John's GL had amazing story arcs and epic conclusion: Sinestro, Rise of the Third Army, Wrath of the First Lantern. While in the New 52, Morrison only had Batman Inc, which was...alright.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By JulieDC

This is easy, Geoff Johns hands down! I found that Geoff Johns did more to redefine Green Lantern than Morrison did to Batman. Johns not only made Hal Jordan interesting but he really redesigned the GL mythos itself. I feel like Johns brought GL out of obscurity and helped raise its popularity to non-readers. However, I find that with Batman there is such a long line of great writers past and current that when you consider their accomplishments, Morrison just doesn't stand out. I just wasn't impressed at all by what Morrison did and preferred (and greatly enjoyed) the works of Paul Dini and Scott Snyder both of whom, though at different points in Morrison's run, wrote at the same time as him.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#113 JediXMan  Moderator
Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Geoff John's GL is trash IMO.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Binski

Since this got brought back up I'll put some closure on this thread I ended up going with the majority rule and did Morrisons Batman run and here's the proof :p

No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Morrison.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Reading and comprehending do not mix with most critics.

Morrison has repeatedly stated how impossible it would be for an ACTUAL human to do what Batman does. He is an idealized fantasy of human ability...

And so many of these hate posts forget that it is set in a fictional universe where a high school graduate can make a weapon that produces a naked singularity to reach absolute zero...and beyond. Because comics.