Grant Morrison's Batman run or Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run

• 118 results
Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Grant Morrison's Batman run or Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run (121 votes)

Grant Morrison's Batman and Son - Batman Inc pre 52 52%
Geoff John's Green Lantern Rebirth - Green Lantern pre 52 48%

I want to buy and read one of these collections but can only afford one at a time, so which first? I have Arkham Asylum graphic novel, new 52 Action Comics 1-19 and Batman Inc 1-10 and love all of it, and I have every new 52 Geoff Johns work and love all of it so I'm in a quandry. I'm basically leaving it up to the votes at this point because I cant decide.

• 
arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1  Edited By arnoldoaad

both are good but i would choose Green Lantern

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

Morrison's Batman run. Arguably one of the best runs, if not, the best run on Batman. Just be sure that you don't mind having to think a bit while reading it, because it can sometimes get pretty complex.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Morrison by far.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was siding with Grant Morrison the more complex the better but simple yet awesome is always good as well.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked Morrison's JLA run more than his Batman run, so i voted Johns' GL

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

Morrison, easily.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Morrison's Batman run is the bigger critical darling and fan favorite.

It's been collected in fewer trades than Johns' GL too, IIRC.

BB

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns on Green Lantern, and it's not remotely close.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Batman

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Morrison's run on Batman of course.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'd recommend reading both but definitely go for Morrison's Batman first. It is a much more detailed, intricate story that is one of the best Batman runs to date.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny. The only Batman comics I liked by him, were when Dick Grayson was Batman. And even then, meh.

Johns crafted the story that made Green Lantern one of the best super-heroes in comics. I won't pretend that Johns was perfect, because he most definitely wasn't, but there's no question that the sum of Johns on Green Lantern was far greater than Morrison on Batman.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

GL.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny.

"This person is popular and I do not like him.

He must suck.

I am right.

Not them.

Me."

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Let's see, on one hand you have a terribly generic space opera that pisses in the face of characters and continuity whenever the immature author dislikes something.

And on the other than you have the greatest superhero run of all time.

Morrison's run. Read it. Love it. Ignore Johns and the mentally challenged 11 year olds who like him, and just read Morrison.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, his Doom Patrol is better :p

BB

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Meh, his Doom Patrol is better :p

BB

Yeah, but it's hardly a "superhero" comic.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison's run on Batman is the best one in comics for me.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Johns' Green Lantern was the first DC series I read regularly. It's consistently been one of my most satisfying reads every month for more than half a decade now. There are literally hundreds of great comics I've loved over the years, old and new, which I may never have had the drive to read if not for my love of this book.

...But f*** dude, I'm not gonna pretend it's better than Morrison's Batman. Geoff's let plenty of plot threads go nowhere, or tricks like additional corps or the Guardians being evil which he keeps reusing until they lose all impact. Grant's constructed a well oiled machine full of countless truly original ideas and insights into the Caped Crusader's character, past present and future.

If anything, the only advantage that Green Lantern has is that most of the changes to the mythos seem to be permanent. Whereas we've already seen most plot points of Morrison's run getting ignored by the ten billion other Batman ongoings, except for Damian, and look what happened to him.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:
@theacidskull said:

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny. The only Batman comics I liked by him, were when Dick Grayson was Batman. And even then, meh.

Johns crafted the story that made Green Lantern one of the best super-heroes in comics. I won't pretend that Johns was perfect, because he most definitely wasn't, but there's no question that the sum of Johns on Green Lantern was far greater than Morrison on Batman.

oh please.

Oh boy, you showed me. There's no denying that pre-Johns, Green Lantern was a second tier character. All of the Green Lanterns were. And now Green Lantern is a top three or four hero. Batman was awesome before Morrison. He was awesome after Morrison. And Morrison really didn't add anything to the character during his run besides Damian, whom he quickly killed off a few years later when he was finally good from Tomasi writing him.

@mpierce2690 said:

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny.

"This person is popular and I do not like him.

He must suck.

I am right.

Not them.

Me."

Obviously, I'm not the only one that feels that way judging by the poll, and you'll find plenty of people who feel the same way on these forums. Over-complicated doesn't equal smart, most of the time it just means muddled and lack luster when all the build up goes... nowhere. That's really how I think most people see Morrison's work. I mean, people actually felt like picking up the Lobdell's Superman over Morrison's Action Comics because he did his usual acid trip writing and went all over the place. And Lobdell is kind of a disaster.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrisons Xmen run was better than his Batman run in my opinion. His Batman run started strong but the latter half has been far from perfect.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

Over-complicated doesn't equal smart, most of the time it just means muddled and lack luster when all the build up goes... nowhere. That's really how I think most people see Morrison's work. I mean, people actually felt like picking up the Lobdell's Superman over Morrison's Action Comics because he did his usual acid trip writing and went all over the place. And Lobdell is kind of a disaster.

"It is complex and difficult to understand and requires critical thinking so IT'S STUPID AND I HATE IT AND LOOK PEOPLE BOUGHT THIS THING INSTEAD O F THIS THING MORRISON SUCKS I SWEAR THIS IS HOW I SEE IT AND SO IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE SEE IT THAT WAY BECAUSE I SAID SO"

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns' Green Lantern run.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The fact this is close really shows just how f*cking dumb Comicvine's userbase is.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By nightwingnerd

Johns had all the huge story lines. But I love what Morrison did with Damian.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By reignmaker

I love Batman and I love most of Morrison's work on the character outside of his Batman & Son - current run. The run itself just got too ridiculous for me. And as much as some people loved it as issues were coming out, I personally don't feel that Morrison is going to be remembered for his Batman work. Practically anything he worked on prior to that was better.

I haven't read Johns' Green Lantern run, but I've seen the effect that it's had on Hal Jordan's character and the fan readership. Batman never needed Morrison. He was strong before, and will continue to be after. Hal Jordan needed Geoff Johns. Johns brought legitimacy to Hal's character. And while I don't agree with some of the PIS Johns used to do that, the end result cannot be denied.

For those reasons, I voted for the Green Lantern run.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Batman and I love most of Morrison's work on the character outside of his Batman & Son run. The run itself just got too ridiculous for me. And as much as some people loved it as issues were coming out, I personally don't feel that Morrison is going to be remembered for his Batman work. Practically anything he worked on prior to that was better.

I haven't read Johns' Green Lantern run, but I've seen the effect that it's had on Hal Jordan's character and the fan readership. Batman never needed Morrison. He was strong before, and will continue to be after. Hal Jordan needed Geoff Johns. Johns brought legitimacy to Hal's character. And while I don't agree with some of the PIS Johns used to do that, the end result cannot be denied.

For those reasons, I voted for the Green Lantern run.

That doesn't make Johns run better than Morrison's. The fact that his run is considered one of the best in Batman's already rich history it has to count for something. Most people acknowledge his interpretation of the character to be the definitive version of Batman. Also first few years of Johns' run was significant, after Blackest Night his writing was nothing more than average.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

That doesn't make Johns run better than Morrison's. The fact that his run is considered one of the best in Batman's already rich history it has to count for something.

Perhaps. "Better" is subjective though. I personally didn't enjoy it, so obviously I feel differently.

@rustyroy said:

Most people acknowledge his interpretation of the character to be the definitive version of Batman.

Yeah, I don't think that's true. I think most people see Batman from the Bruce Timm Animated Series. And they hear Kevin Conroy's voice.

If you're talking strictly comics, then that honor goes to Dennis O'Neil. With an honorable mention to Frank Miller.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RustyRoy

@rustyroy said:

That doesn't make Johns run better than Morrison's. The fact that his run is considered one of the best in Batman's already rich history it has to count for something.

Perhaps. "Better" is subjective though. I personally didn't enjoy it, so obviously I feel differently.

@rustyroy said:

Most people acknowledge his interpretation of the character to be the definitive version of Batman.

Yeah, I don't think that's true. I think most people see Batman from the Bruce Timm Animated Series. And they hear Kevin Conroy's voice.

If you're talking strictly comics, then that honor goes to Dennis O'Neil. With an honorable mention to Frank Miller.

So you voted the series you never read? Noting the fact that you said you loved atleast some of his storylines that doesn't make sense. And many people don't know about O'Neil's run. Morrison's interpretation of the character is considered the modern age Batman, of course Miller and O'neil's run helped to redefine the character but Morrison made him like he is today,without him it would have been incomplete. Ask any fan who is most influential writer in Batman's history and Morrison's name will come up more than once. Also Bruce Timm took inspiration from all the Batman runs Morrison's run being one of them, the JL/JLU version is heavily inspired by Morrison's. Also the Arkham games are inspired from Morrison comics of the same name. And if they ever make a JL movie, they have to make him like Morrison's Batman. Morrison's take on Batman is considered one of the most important comic book runs of all time (and far more important than Johns GL run in my opinion) and that's a fact. It has influenced many writers and will continue to do so.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of good things being said about both works and the poll is pretty close I might just buy Batman and Son then Rebirth then Black Glove so on and so on

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By reignmaker

@rustyroy said:

So you voted the series you never read? Noting the fact that you said you loved atleast some of his storylines that doesn't make sense. And many people don't know about O'Neil's run. Morrison's interpretation of the character is considered the modern age Batman, of course Miller and O'neil's run helped to redefine the character but Morrison made him like he is today,without him it would have been incomplete. Ask any fan who is most influential writer in Batman's history and Morrison's name will come up more than once. Also Bruce Timm took inspiration from all the Batman runs Morrison's run being one of them, the JL/JLU version is heavily inspired by Morrison's. Also the Arkham games are inspired from Morrison comics of the same name. And if they ever make a JL movie, they have to make him like Morrison's Batman. Morrison's take on Batman is considered one of the most important comic book runs of all time (and far more important than Johns GL run in my opinion) and that's a fact. It has influenced many writers and will continue to do so.

Not saying Morrison hasn't written Batman well before. And I'm not saying that he can't write him. I'm saying that I didn't like his Batman run. If you can't comprehend the difference, I'm not going to spell it out for you.

You can continue to point to other critical opinions for validation, but like I said - I read it and didn't care for it. His run is a self-indulgent work. He committed the same sin as Tim Burton on Batman Returns. Morrison made the story more about "what crazy sh** can Morrison fit in this time?" and less about Batman.

Johns on the other hand brought a lackluster character back from irrelevancy and made him a tier one superhero again. As much as Johns bothers me, that's a pretty incredible feat - especially with a character as boring and unlikeable as Hal.

EDIT: And you grossly overestimate the influence of this particular Batman run over other mediums. Most of your examples have to do with other works of Morrison or a different creator entirely.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RustyRoy

@rustyroy said:

Not saying Morrison hasn't written Batman well before. And I'm not saying that he can't write him. I'm saying that I didn't like his Batman run. If you can't comprehend the difference, I'm not going to spell it out for you.

You can continue to point to other critical opinions for validation, but like I said - I read it and didn't care for it. His run is a self-indulgent work. He committed the same sin as Tim Burton on Batman Returns. Morrison made the story more about "what crazy sh** can Morrison fit in this time?" and less about Batman.

Johns on the other hand brought a lackluster character back from irrelevancy and made him a tier one superhero again. As much as Johns bothers me, that's a pretty incredible feat - especially with a character as boring and unlikeable as Hal.

EDIT: And you grossly overestimate the influence of this particular Batman run over other mediums. Most of your examples have to do with other works of Morrison or a different creator entirely.

Then make yourself more clear next time, you did say you loved his run on the character outside Batman and Son. Clearly you and I see things differently, what you're stating as a sin is a blessing for me. Also what are talking about grossly overestimating Morrison's run, I said Timm took elements from all Batman runs, it wasn't based on just one writers interpretation, you really underestimate Morrison's work.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: I don't want to argue anymore, you are entitled to you own opinion. So I apologize.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@reignmaker: I don't want to argue anymore, you are entitled to you own opinion. So I apologize.

There is nothing to apologize for. If someone disliked one of my favorite works, I'd have something to say also. And there's nothing wrong with that. But yeah, I guess we can agree to disagree.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

There is nothing to apologize for. If someone disliked one of my favorite works, I'd have something to say also. And there's nothing wrong with that. But yeah, I guess we can agree to disagree.

Yup, agreed.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Binski

well if it's 50/50 do I buy both or neither....yes that stupid comment was my sad attempt at bumping the thread up :(

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Lantern

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By End_Boss

Which hero gives you the biggest hard-on?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theacidskull said:

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

You're a real cynical POS aren't you?

Mr_Holmes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers