• 74 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This week, we Americans will stuff our faces with an overwhelming amount of food (more so than usual). But in between the gigantic bites, we're supposed to take a minute or two and say what we're thankful for as we sit at a table surrounded by our family members and friends. So, I thought why not do the same for comics, but minus all of the delicious and fattening food.

2012 has been quite a year for the comic industry. Marvel and DC have made huge moves (The New 52 carries on & Marvel NOW! begins) and smaller publishers continue to produce some simply stellar titles. We tend to complain about a lot going on in the fictional universes, but I'd like to take some time to give some well deserved and long overdue thanks.

90% of Thanksgiving meals don't have this many smiles.
90% of Thanksgiving meals don't have this many smiles.

Without further ado, here's the 5 things I'm grateful for this year in comics.

Hawkeye

Landlord Bro will make your heart smile.
Landlord Bro will make your heart smile.

In a medium polluted with so many mediocre titles, every issue of HAWKEYE feels like a breath of fresh air. I don't know how he managed to do it (a deal with the devil perhaps?), but writer Matt Fraction has made each chapter of the series pure gold. To top it off, artist David Aja's work provides a classic yet vibrant look to the book. Panels are laid out in a creative manner that keep the read exciting no matter what's taking place.

The only reason I can imagine someone doesn't like this title is if they're a huge Clint Barton fan and easily annoyed by how unimpressive he is in hand-to-hand. Or, they just hate fun. You don't hate fun, do you? Of course not, so do yourself a favor and go give this book an honest chance. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it one bit, bro.

Marvel NOW!

The Thing vs The Internet: The Internet wins 10/10
The Thing vs The Internet: The Internet wins 10/10

There's still a lot of titles yet to be released (truth be told I still haven't read IRON MAN #1), but so far the future of the The House of Idea's Marvel NOW! looks promising. DEADPOOL, THOR: GOD OF THUNDER and FANTASTIC FOUR were solid and have me anxiously awaiting the second issues. ALL-NEW X-MEN and UNCANNY AVENGERS did a more than able job, and while I don't enjoy them as much as the previously listed titles, they both have hooks that are sure to keep a firm grip on many readers.

Still to come is the likes of CABLE & X-FORCE, THUNDERBOLTS and much more that has me surprisingly excited. Meanwhile, G-Man has already praised the next set of books in early reviews (CAPTAIN AMERICA & INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK). While it's understandable to call Marvel NOW! a cash grab (let's face it, the industry is always trying to reel in new readers), don't let that deter you from giving these titles an open-minded chance.

Batman

The Dark Knight is without question one of the most popular and recognizable comic book characters around. Because of this, it's only fitting that his primary comic should live up to his popularity. Thankfully, the main book has a dream team: Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo.

Snyder kicked the series off with 'The Night of the Owls,' but in 2012 he has something bigger, better and far more diabolical up his dark sleeve: 'Death of the Family.' Snyder's disturbingly excellent ideas are fantastic on their own, but when combined with Greg Capullo's stellar art, it brings BATMAN to a whole other level.

He's had terrible posture since his run-in with Bane.
He's had terrible posture since his run-in with Bane.

Capullo's pencils portray Gotham City as it should be: dark yet grand, filled with history but also grit and suffering. And his work on the new version of Joker? Top-notch illustrating and taking time to gaze at those panels are sure to send a chill down your spine.

No one is apparently safe and the twist with Alfred has me legitimately uneasy over the kind butler's future. No matter what your feelings are about the Joker, this is turning out to be a story you should absolutely be reading.

Valiant

I've said it a thousand times before and I'll say it one last time (okay, it probably won't be the last): Valiant is killing it with their reboot. You don't need to have any prior experience with the publisher to fully appreciate all of these titles. Not only are the 5 titles wonderfully created by their respective writers and artists, but they each offer a completely different vibe and fall into various genres.

X-O Manowar. Read it. Now.
X-O Manowar. Read it. Now.

X-O MANOWAR is the ultimate science fiction adventure. ARCHER & ARMSTRONG is a buddy book filled with absurd laughs and hilarious takes on society. BLOODSHOT is your go-to source for violent action. HARBINGER is a character driven story with a whole lotta telekinesis. SHADOWMAN dives into the darker and magic-filled corner of its ever expanding universe.

"Oh, lordies! The price tag is $3.99 per issue!" I know, I know. I'm on a budget as well but these titles are totally worth making room in your pull list. Give 'em a read and I assure you you'll fall in love with at least one of the books. Luckily, Valiant is soon releasing some very affordable trade paperbacks to help people play catch up.

IDW's TMNT

PIZZABUNGA!
PIZZABUNGA!

Turtle fans, you shall be pleased with this one. IDW Publishing has brought Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman's franchise back to life in a familiar yet refreshing manner. Written by Tom Waltz and Kevin Eastman, the four mutated ninjas return with a whole new origin story. From there, everything treads familiar territory but does so in a fun and energetic tone. Virtually all of your favorites throughout TMNT history are slowly appearing -- even a pre-mutation Bebop and Rocksteady have shown up -- and the various plots are being juggled gracefully. IDW's comic has undeniably become one of the delightfully entertaining titles on the shelves.

So while I ponder about what I'm thankful for this Thursday, I'll also take a moment to recall these 5 things which make the comic industry so enjoyable for me. Viners, what 5 things are you grateful for this year?

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. All your stuffing is belong to him this Thanksgiving day.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By x_29

Thankful list:

• Azzarello's Wonder Woman
  • Scott Snyder's Batman
  • Rob Liefeild leaving DC comics
  • Spider-Men
  • The Avengers movie
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Great read!

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DanialCarroll
  1. The New 52: Without it, I would probably be reading nothing but Marvel.
  2. Aquaman: Part of The New 52, I know, but easily my favourite of the bunch, so deserves another mention.
  3. Marvel NOW!: Until Marvel NOW!, I was down to only 2 Marvel titles, but some of the new ones have won me over.
  4. Wolverine and The X-Men: Even though Jason Aaron's sense of humour sometimes doesn't work for me, this book kept my faith in Marvel alive right up to the relaunch.
  5. Comic Vine: Without this site, it's fair to say I wouldn't be the comic fan I am today. It's an amazing resource and a great community, so thank you, Tony, Sara, and everyone behind the scenes!
Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

I am thankful for:

BENDIS LEAVING THE AVENGERS

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5  Edited By CircularLogic

I am thankful for Scalped... Oh wait...

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#6  Edited By MatKrenz

Im thankful for Peter David still delivering X-Factor and making it an amazing series.

Im thankful for Dark Horse publishing great Buffy season 9 comic books and not forcing me into reading Buffy because I have no interest in her.

Im thankful for Image pumping out amazing comic books.

Also Thanksgiving was last month.

Hancock89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Hancock89

So this is what you were talking about when you said you may had something special for Valiant, cool. The more spotlight they get the better.  Great read as always.

TwistedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By TwistedGamer

I love you comic book industry! Love ya marvel, love ya DC! Love ya comicvine for getting me into comics in the first place!

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By dreamfall31

I'm thankful for the Comic Vine Podcast! If I hadn't been looking for a podcast to randomly listen to while playing some PC games, I'd never be as into comics as I am now!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'd like to give thanks to the Comic Vine staff for all their hard work through the craziness of the past few months. Also, for taking my questions in the podcast so frequently. For Tom Pinchuk, thanks to him for all his hard work over on Anime Vice.

Can't really say I'm thankful for the New 52. Not after what happened to Catwoman, Lois Lane's journalistic integrity, and Power Girl's overly-flammable clothing.

I would say I'm thankful that Marvel didn't killl off Emma in X-MEN or try and backpedal on Cyclop's development.

ONE PIECE has been pretty great in it's more recent arc. The US edition of the manga for this arc wont start publishing till sometimes next year. That kind of sucks,

The last volume of HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD came out this year, so, I now have the entire collection. I wonder if the hiatus will ever end.

The BLACK LAGOON's El Baile de La Muerte Arc was an awesome read. If you like stories about kick ass women. That's full of them.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By Teerack

How did it take me this long to realize all of the ninja turtles are red in the new series? O.o that's mega lame.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Teerack said:

How did it take me this long to realize all of the ninja turtles are red in the new series? O.o that's mega lame.

They only are for part of the first story. Eventually Splinter gives them their respective colors.

Also, they all had red in the original Mirage comics.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Thank you.

@Hancock89: Believe it or not, but this isn't what I was referring to.

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crazyflashfan11

@TwistedGamer said:

I love you comic book industry! Love ya marvel, love ya DC! Love ya comicvine for getting me into comics in the first place!

These are the things I am thankful for. Right here.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

1. The Lord above who has given me so much and to which I'm eternally grateful for.

2. My family who seems to be my guiding light whenever I need them.

3. To my grand friends and acquaintances here on the CV whom I adore.

4. Comics in general. Ever thankful since my comics renaissance four years ago.

5. For DC's New 52 and Marvel NOW. Despite what issues I might have with each, I'm still glad they exist.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By reignmaker

I'm right there with ya on your first three, Katz.

I tried to give TMNT a try but I just couldn't get past the art. I dropped it after reading the first four issues, which I felt were merely ok. I've really enjoyed their new TV series though.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MuyJingo

I know it's an uncommon opinion, but I hope Snyder decides to leave Batman sooner rather than later. Not a fan of the writing at all. I'm thankful for that possibility.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#17  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

In comics. I'm thankful for Greg Rucka's Punisher, The Walking Dead, Jeff Lemire's AnimalMan, BATMAn, and Rob Liefeld leaving DC.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By arnoldoaad

@MadeinBangladesh said:

In comics. I'm thankful for Greg Rucka's Punisher, The Walking Dead, Jeff Lemire's Punisher, BATMAn, and Rob Liefeld leaving DC.

Jeff Lemire wrote punisher ! XD

Mini_Bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mini_Bat

1) Batman

2) Wolverine and the X-men

3) Journey Into Mystery (Cannot wait for Young Avenger, Kieron Gilen was amazing)

4) Batman and Robin (I know it have is ups in downs but it been a great ride)

5) Ultimate Spiderman (I'm reading the current and catching up on older issues, both are amazing)

Also thank you Brian K. Vaughan for The Runaways and Grant Morrison for his Batman run. Long time superhero fan since waking early to catch Spiderman TAS and watching every Batman TAS more times then thought possible but the two were my first real comics I bought.

FrankenKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrankenKong

1.) Superman and family

2.) Green Lantern and all Spectrum Corp and affiliates (except Gardner and Baz)

3.) Current bags and boards

4.) Diet soft drinks.

5.) BBQ Ribs.

Happy Thanksgiving to all....

No Caption Provided
Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aeroman

what I'm thankful for

1. aquaman: loving this series

2. Mark Waid: daredevil is really good, can't wait to read his hulk run

3. marvel now: not rebooting everything that happened

4. Valiant comics: never heard of them before but a couple issues from them and I like bloodshot and harbinger

5. Hawkeye: thankful he's got another ongoing hope this one lasts

6. Jason Aaron: love his wolverine and the x-men book and love his new Thor book

ripjim93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripjim93
  • The new 52, because it gave me a chance to get into comics
  • The Walking Dead
  • Comicvine, without you i would be lost
  • Scott Snyder and his Batman
  • My LCS being two minutes from my house
htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By htb106

I'm thankful for:

Dark Knight Rises (oh my god, it was just too amazing!)

Zero Month

Becky Cloonan on Batman 12

The Culling

Night of the Owls

Alpha

@k4tzm4n: Great article!

Avatar image for victorvondoom_1
VictorVonDoom_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VictorVonDoom_1

@crazyflashfan11 said:

@TwistedGamer said:

These are the things I am thankful for. Right here.

Pretty much.

Comic Vine is so useful.

Mieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mieux

I know one thing I am most definitely NOT thankful for... *cough*Hellblazer cancellation*cough*

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By bionder

I'm not thankful about Greg Rucka's Punisher run going to be cancelled. But i'm thankful about Punisher: War Zone.

Lanternrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lanternrag

1. Badass movies this year (TDKR, Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man and upcoming Hobbit film etc.)

2. Thankful for being able to see my sister while she was on leave from the Army

3. Some awesome games this year

4. Comicvine - my immediate go to for anything comic books, I wouldn't be half the fan of comics I am today without it

5. Everything in general - I'm so fortunate to have all that I do. I definitely take it for granted all the time until I take a step back and think about it for a minute

Happy holidays everyone!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Billy Batson

@Mieux said:

I know one thing I am most definitely NOT thankful for... *cough*Hellblazer cancellation*cough*

Ha, this :p

BB

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I am sooooo thankful for the new Turtles series, and I am excited to start reading a new Judge Dredd series.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

VALIANT

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Lvenger

I'm thankful for Grant Morrison on Action Comics. He's written some astonishing Superman stories already and I wish he was staying on the series for longer than 17 issues.

Avatar image for markus_langbourn
Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Markus_Langbourn

Yep, I'm thankful for how the industry has sacrificed its integrity, creativity and intelligence for pathetic, shallow stories that appeal only to the ignorant and mentally deficient. 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#33  Edited By RazzaTazz

@k4tzm4n: My blog post on the similar idea for Canadian thanksgiving was not as popular. I only had Alpha Flight, Wolverine and Captain Canuck to be thankful for, just like every year.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By 2chimcha3

1. Valiant Comics- so good. everyone needs to read them.

2. Marvel NOW- Great relaunches with great creative teams

3. Comic Vine- for obvious reasons.

4. Kyle Rayner- I love reading him and his current arc trying to master every color in the emotional spectrum has been great fun

5. Journey into Mystery- I jumped on late, starting with Everything burns, but I love the book. It is beautiful and I can't wait to see where it goes with Sif.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@RazzaTazz: I'm gonna have to call you out on that. Wolverine + Deadpool = instant popularity.

@htb106: Thank you!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#36  Edited By RazzaTazz

@k4tzm4n: yes but I have Captain Canuck dragging me down.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Med

as a new fan of comics, i am grateful for NOW! giving me a clean starting point at the marvel universe.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mtrakos

1) Ed Brubaker on Cap and Bucky. I loved every issue.

2) Black Bolt is back

3) All that is cosmic marvel

powerhouse1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By powerhouse1122

1)Marvel & everything that is w/in it's universe or multiverse 2)although it took me a while to totally appreciate the New52... I gotta to thank Dc too for bringing a great new era for comics 3)Image comics 4)Comicvine, I thank thee a lot for all of this 5)dark horse, dynamite and valiant :)

sourcebreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By sourcebreaker

what i'm thankful for:

1. God for helping me and my family/friends

2. Christmas is coming!!

3.the new 52-help me get into dc

4. Marvel Now!

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fps_dean

What I am thankful for in the Comic world:

• Scott Snyder's Batman
  • Geoff John's Aquaman
  • Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery (sad to see it go, but I loved this one while it lasted)
  • Comicvine, for providing me up to date news
  • Avengers, Spider-Man and Batman in one year!
  • About 20 other titles I do not have time to list right now.
fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fps_dean

@sagejonathan said:

1. Valiant Comics- so good. everyone needs to read them.

2. Marvel NOW- Great relaunches with great creative teams

3. Comic Vine- for obvious reasons.

4. Kyle Rayner- I love reading him and his current arc trying to master every color in the emotional spectrum has been great fun

5. Journey into Mystery- I jumped on late, starting with Everything burns, but I love the book. It is beautiful and I can't wait to see where it goes with Sif.

I would recommend picking up the rest of Gillen's run on JIM too. I had initially hated the idea of kid Loki too but it was so well written that it was one of the titles I looked forward to reading each month.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great list.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44  Edited By Grey56

Best wishes to all today and especially those whom cannot be with the ones they love. As for the titles I'm thankful for in no particular order;

- Batman/Detective

- Elephantmen

- X-Factor

- All things Thanos

- Each and every one of the Books my wife reads that allows her to share this hobby

TaylorEspo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TaylorEspo

I'm grateful for the spot I have as a DC letterer. After the tough last year I had with the layoffs, getting to work at the company I've wanted to work at since I was 5, doing what I've always wanted to do for a living is the best thing about the comic industry for me.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By jinxuandi

Thanks to all the staff (especially Tony, Sara and Corey) and moderators who make this site possible.

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By crazyflashfan11

@htb106 said:

I'm thankful for:

Dark Knight Rises (oh my god, it was just too amazing!)

Zero Month

Becky Cloonan on Batman 12

The Culling

Night of the Owls

Alpha

@k4tzm4n: Great article!

Yep... All of this too! Add Marvel NOW!

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By EdwardWindsor

TMNT/Ghostbusters by IDW are both steller. Uncanny Xforce to needs a mention

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Stormbox

Im thankful for the new 52, marvel now and the comic vine community, without them i couldnt have been able to get into more comics

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

#50  Edited By broo1232

Swamp-thing Scott Snyder

Batman Scott Snyder

Uncanny X-force Rick Remender

Daredevil Mark Waid

New 52