Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Mark Millar's SUPERMAN: RED SON vs. THE ULTIMATES

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Mark Millar's SUPERMAN: RED SON vs. THE ULTIMATES (293 votes)

Superman: Red Son 47%
The Ultimates 43%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 10%

This week, we're putting Mark Millar in this segment's spotlight. The creative mind behind CIVIL WAR obviously has a lot of quality stories to choose from, but after really thinking it through, we believe comparing and contrasting two alternate universe stories from the big two could be a whole lot of fun. In one corner, we have SUPERMAN: RED SON. While it may not have nearly as many issues as its competition, it's one hell of a "what if?" story and has an absolutely brilliant ending. Plus, Batmankoff! In the other corner, we have THE ULTIMATES. Over the course of two volumes, Millar and Bryan Hitch put a brand new spin on quite a few of Marvel's A-listers and the end result is ride that is nothing short of epic. We adore both stories, but if you had to pick one over the other, which would you side with and why?

The poll will stay open until Friday morning (ET). That should give you more than enough time to really think this one through and then cast your vote with some degree of confidence. And if you haven't read either story, this gives you at least four days to finally check them out. Or, you can be incredibly lazy and just vote for the "I haven't read either" option. The choice is yours. After casting your vote, we encourage you to jump into the comments and get your elaboration on. Give the winning story a good amount of support and there's a chance we'll include it in Friday's article. Getting the post of the week isn't up there with winning a medal or anything like that, but it gives you a little bit of bragging rights, yes?

Last but not least, give the Comic Viner Squalleon some love in the comments below. They were not only the first person to correctly guess this week's match-up based on the teaser image, but they were also the very first post in the article. You've got a keen eye there, Squalleon.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Red Son. It's the only Millar book I know that's not deep into "edgy as f**k" territory.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Red Son. The Ultimates felt at times a bit edgy.

BB

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Red Son. It held back on the edgy.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LCazT1996

Sadly, I haven't read Red Son so...yeah. :/

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His Ultimates was so good the movies are using some of his ideas and the 616 too.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

As much as I loved The Ultimates (it was pretty good), Red Son was a great spin and a fabulous what-if..? styled tale of the Man of Steel.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

Going with Red Son. I prefer Ultimates 2 over Ultimates 1.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son. As awesome as Ultimates was, despite it's EDGY and perverse take on a lot of characters, Red Son is one of the best Superman & Elseworlds stories ever.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jedixman said:

This segment is taking his entire run with the team into account.

"Over the course of two volumes, Millar and Bryan Hitch put a brand new spin on quite a few of Marvel's A-listers and the end result is ride that is nothing short of epic."

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JediXMan  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

@jedixman said:

"Over the course of two volumes, Millar and Bryan Hitch put a brand new spin on quite a few of Marvel's A-listers and the end result is ride that is nothing short of epic."

... oh...

... so... the poll might be off by one point now.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jedixman said:
@k4tzm4n said:

@jedixman said:

... oh...

The Ultimates' blood is on your hands, sir!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

@jedixman said:
@k4tzm4n said:

@jedixman said:

... oh...

The Ultimates' blood is on your hands, sir!

Pft. Look at that poll! Red Son was destined to win, with or without me!

No blood on my hands, good sir! None! *desperately washes hands*

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's to hard to vote right now so I'm gonna reread them again then vote

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Red Son. I may be biased a little since it is a Superman story and a good at that.

What I love most about Red Son is the fact that it reflects the DC history. Superman is the first superhero and the center of the superhero world changing the DCU based on how he is different.
Even though the art is good, the biggest asset of RS is the story, the reimagining of this magnificent world in another era, familiar but different at the same time. The great supporting cast true to their original characters but with a nice twist, Batmankoff, Diana and especially Luthor. Luthor is a great villian, driven by jealousy and ready to prove by any means neccessary that he is the best, proving that some things are the same no matter what the situation. And of course there is the twist in the last pages of the last issue changing the dynamic between Luthor and Superman and creating a fantastic ironic element.

On the other hand Ultimates is great too. With (subjectively) better art and while it is a nice reimagining of the classic Avengers, it doesn't have the same heart in it as RS. It does the same mistake every movie/book/comic does when it tries to be realistic, it makes everyone dark and edgy but it is a minor grip in the overall book which is a really good read and a book that I often find myself browse through.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimates = the reason I got into comics

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimates easily, but the Superman fanbase on the Vine is too strong. Red Son will probably win.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I disagree with your "dark and edgy" comment, The Ultimates are a realistic take on the Avengers and the world mirrors the real world. My point being they are facing real world consequences with their actions and problems, which I think The Ultimates nailed that setting

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SanoHibiki

Red Son all the way...

Alright, kidding, but still Red Son by some margin.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Red Son

A fantastic example of a great elseworld story

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I've not read either, nor will I have the time this week. I go in the "shame on me" box!

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son had a much better storyline (concept and execution). On the other hand, the Ultimates definitely had better battles.

My vote goes to Red Son.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By PeppeyHare

Red son

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By SoA

yay im in the monority !, go ultimates!

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

The Ultimates.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Red Son has my vote

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Reminder: if you're not happy with the poll, making a thorough post and rallying support is far more effective than complaining.

anthonygiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son. I liked Ultimates but Red Son was simply better

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Captain13

The Ultimates.

I have to admit that this isn't a difficult decision for me to me. While Superman: Red Son is a wonderful story, it just isn't as groundbreaking or influential as The Ultimates was.

The Ultimates did for the Avengers what Christopher Nolan did for Batman. It brought the colorful characters created by Marvel in the 1940s and 1960s into a post-9/11 world to say something about the state of our country and the human experience today. Captain America's entire story arc--the legend settling into a seedier version of his old neighborhood--reflects the drastic contrast between the beautiful illusion of 1940s America and the harsh reality of Post-9/11 America.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The Ultimates may have been the most authentic Marvel book to hit the stands in the entire decade. Mark Millar distilled Stan Lee's Marvel Hero formula but adapted it for the 21st century. The Ultimates presented heroes you believed could exist in our world with personal problems as serious as the problems they faced in the field. The heroes fought and lived in places readers are actually from. The characters name dropped celebrities we're all familiar with. The entire atmosphere of the book really captures the feel of the extraordinary meshing with our the ordinary.

No Caption Provided

On a purely technical level, the book is not only perfectly plotted with a compelling beginning, middle, and end (a rarity in the current state of comic books), but it is also one of the most beautifully illustrated books to ever hit the stands.

No Caption Provided

Bryan Hitch's widescreen, cinematic compositions created a sense of wonder in the book and added greater depth to the realism Millar wanted from the book. When people were hurt physically or emotionally, you could feel the weight of it. I mean, who can forget the fight scene between the Ultimates and the Hulk in Manhattan? Who can forget the aftermath?

Finally, you cannot ignore the massive influence this book has had on Marvel Studios' Cinematic Universe. Not only did this book give us the Samuel L. Jackson version of Nick Fury, it also gave us cocky-booze-hound version of Tony Stark that Robert Downey Jr. was able to tap into.

No Caption Provided

It gave us the blueprint for several of the cinematic costumes we see on screen today. And it firmly established the relationship between the Ultimates and SHIELD that would carry over into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If a book can do all that and isn't considered great, I don't know what is.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

-Captain13

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son. It's the comic that's responsible for getting me back into comics after a 6 year hiatus. It's also so well done that, every time I read it, I notice a new facet of it. I've lent my copy to over a dozen friends because I feel everyone should check it out.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Squalleon

@micah said:

@squalleon: I disagree with your "dark and edgy" comment, The Ultimates are a realistic take on the Avengers and the world mirrors the real world. My point being they are facing real world consequences with their actions and problems, which I think The Ultimates nailed that setting

Eh no, realism doesn't mean everything is edgy the ultimates are edgy not realistic! Yeah they are more realistic than the 616 versions but that doesn't mean much since the 616 aren't supposed to be like that. I don't mean Hank Pym since I understand what fame can do to a person but incest, a woman that gets turned on when her boyfriend changes into a monster that kills civilians, the ultimates making money from DVD's showing a tragedy, Thor is the only heroic figure and is labeled as a hippy.
Yeah no edgy at all...

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mak13131313

I voted for Red Son. I think it is a better story.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Captain13

@squalleon said:

Thor is the only heroic figure and is labeled as a hippy.

All the Ultimates put their lives on the line for other people, like our men and women in the service. How is that not heroic?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I haven't read Red Son, but I have read Ultimates.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon said:

Thor is the only heroic figure and is labeled as a hippy.

All the Ultimates put their lives on the line for other people, like our men and women in the service. How is that not heroic?

Thor is the only "classic" heroic figure. The one that is inherently good.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Unfortunately I have not read either one, although Red Son is on my list. But I won't have the money to pick either of them up any time soon, so I voted for shame. :(

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to give it to Ultimates 2 just for convincing me that Thor was not actually a god if only for a little while.

And then Loki said this just to rub my stupidity in my face:

No Caption Provided

This cemented Ultimates as one of my favorite books.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son. As awesome as Ultimates was, despite it's EDGY and perverse take on a lot of characters, Red Son is one of the best Superman & Elseworlds stories ever.

I think it was the best Lex Luthor story ever.

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BWANASIMBA

Red Son. The Ultimates had its awesome moments but it seemed to take every character and go overboard with the personality flaws, to the extent virtually every character could be diagnosed with some sort of personality or mental disorder. To be fair, that seems to be what modern media does in general to old characters and new characters alike.

Case in point, Captain Kirk from the old Star Trek series vs Captain Kirk from the new films. Old Captain Kirk occasionally disregarded authority and occasionally let his emotions get the better of him, but generally followed protocol, was a damn good captain and was intensely loyal to his ship and crew. New Kirk was immensely self-destructive, always disregarded orders, and couldn't lead worth a damn. He was a narcissist through and through. Also, while both were shown to be womanizers, old Kirk was very respectful and loved by women, while modern Kirk seemed to be what geeks thought of "douchebags" who slept around.

I talked to some English majors from my old college, and apparently this is standard modern writing 101. All characters are basically defined by their flaws now, to the extent they are parodies of what they represent (another example, old school James Bond vs Archer). Their negative personality traits trump their positive traits, to the point they are completely unlikeable as characters.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....Red.....Son?

Red Son has to be one of the best Superman vs Lex Luthor and my personal favorite Lex Luthor story. We see that no matter where Superman lands, Lex Luthor will always want to kill Superman, even though Lex Luthor in this story says that if Superman had landed in American they'd be great friends.... riiiiight?

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MasterBelmont

Red Son. Only read a little of it, but I'm mostly voting because Ultimates has Ultimate Captain America, who I really hate because he's an absolute insult to one of my favorite characters.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Well one got and Eisner award and the other one didn't. Shouldn't be too hard of a choice.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MixMastaMicah5

Ultimates for sure

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, there really should have been a too close to call for this one.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

RED SON!

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the ultimates are a coordinated military team. not only with great tacticians and smart powerhouses, but with abilities that can take on the man of red steel.

superman is of course, superman, he's possibly the strongest character there is, but strength and speed, while contributing factors are not the only ways to win. the hulk in this situation, is of course, the ultimate hulk, who was shown in ultimate iron man and the hulk to have the ability to adapt. if trapped in space, he adapts to not needing to breathe. to weight that gets heavier and heavier, his body adapts to the pressure and pushes back.

thor is of course, the god of thunder, with incredible speed, strngth and prowess, with also incredible combat intelligence gleened from thousands of years of fighting

captain america is no superhuman, but his brain is his asset here. out thinking his opponant and getting his players into position are what will prove him to be a leader.

hawkeye is indeed a supersoldier here, and can identify what weak parts of supes there might be. there could be none, but regardless, his speed and sight will prove useful.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a DC guy not a marvel guy but Ultimates 1 + 2 are some of the best books ive ever read. Top 5

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

exactly. The Ultimates get my vote--I love the Ultimate Universe in general because of the way it tries to stay more realistic, if albeit darker at times.

gotta admit thou: Red Son is easily the best Lex story ever

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jonez_

10% of Comic Viners haven't read either!!?!?!?!?! WTF?!?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Red Son, as a history buff, it was very clever to mix up elements of the cold war with the DC comic history and as a comic fan, it was fantastic story with great art especially those propaganda posters. My only problem with it was Wonder Woman, a bit off that story.