Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Jason Aaron's THOR: GOD OF THUNDER vs. WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Jason Aaron's THOR: GOD OF THUNDER vs. WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN (229 votes)

Thor: God of Thunder 70%
Wolverine and the X-Men 21%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 9%

Welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs' spotlight, Jason Aaron!

The writer has quite a body of work with Marvel, but this week, we want to give praise to two of his most popular (and recent) works: WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN and THOR: GOD OF THUNDER. The X-Men story followed the aftermath of SCHISM -- another storyline Aaron wrote -- and ran for over 40 issues. This run saw the creation of a new school for new mutants, a brand new Hellfire Club, and, of course, focused on Wolverine as the school's headmaster and its students. Aaron's spent roughly half as many issues with the son of Odin, but during that time, he's dished out some massive stories that involve a character seeking to destroy all Gods, Malekith's rise to power, and now the fate of Midgard. Both series' have their own strengths, but if you had to pick one, which would it be and why?

As always, voting will remain open until Friday morning (ET). If you haven't given either a shot, this should give you more than enough time to pick up a trade or two and make up your mind. Additionally, we encourage you to speak up after you cast your vote. Why bother, you ask? Because we'll include two exceptional posts in the results article (which is posted on Friday). One will be selected for each story, so don't forget to elaborate after picking one!

Last but not least, everyone say "you're the best around" to the Comic Viner The_Tree. Why bother giving this person your blind praise? Because The_Tree was the very first person to guess this week's match-up based on the small teaser we provided in Friday's article. Well done, The_Tree!

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

• 
Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Experio

God of Thunder

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would've voted for Scalped. Oh well, God of Thunder it is then.

@the_tree You're the best around!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine008
No Caption Provided

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

God of Thunder

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Oh God, WATX was awful. Every single issue featuring the new Hellfire Club deserved to be set on fire.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

YOU're voting for Thor over his X-Men run? Gotta say I'm surprised. I bet you wouldn't have done it if it was his Wolverine run being compared to this? :P

It's the same for me too. Absolutely no contest between whether Thor GOT is better than Wolverine & The X-Men. Admittedly, I don't like The X-Men as a genre or in their own corner of the Marvel Universe. Nor am I a fan of how the stories are going, their direction or how well they've been selling. Aaron's X-Men run has been OK at best. In contrast, his current Thor run is easily one of the best books Marvel has going for them as well as one of the best Thor runs to date. There's excellent writing, superb characterisation, a great understanding of the mythology and world building involved with Thor's corner of the Marvel Universe, epic action and a compelling narrative. Plus gorgeous art by Esad Ribic to boot. What's not to love about his Thor run? Well The Accursed wasn't the best but it ended well so there's that.

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By micahparadise

I loved Chris Bachalos art and the feel he brought to the WATX series but it was too unbelievable for the new hellfire to be rich kids! This book would have been great if WATX was supposed to be a funny, kids book meant only for jokes. God of Thunder has my vote!!!

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even a contest, THOR ftw

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

GoT God Stomps.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Haha, yeah. Unfortunately, I did have to go with God of Thunder here. Jason Aaron is one of my favorite writers, and often one of the bright spots among X-Men related stories nowadays, but his Wolverine and the X-Men run isn't his best work frankly. His other X related stuff like his Wolverine run are much better, and something that I would recommend.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Are you kidding us? Wolverine and the X-Men was good; but Thor: God of Thunder is on a whole other level; the two aren't even in the same class.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wolverine008

Even though Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run is mediocre, I still have to give him credit for giving Wolverine this feat:

No Caption Provided

Stay in school kids!

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 58

God of Thunder, without hesitation. The God-Butcher arc in particular was one of my favorite stories from last year. The title is definitely one of Marvel's best books. I still highly anticipate it month to month. I'm loving the current arc with contemporary Thor vs Roxxon and old Thor vs Galactus.

CRTrobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huge Wolverine fan but if anyone picks the X-Men run over the Thor run they didn't read the Thor run. Absolutely awesome to read.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wolverine and The X-Men was alright, I wasn't huge on alot of the X-books post-Schism and pre-AVX but Jason Aaron's run on it was one of the better ones.

That being said however, Thor: God of Thunder was amazing and surpases it on nearly every level, probably my favorite of Jason Aaron's works, thus it gets my vote without much of any hesitation.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Thor:God of Thunder for me personally.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Billy Batson
WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I agree with the majority opinion on this one - I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men a lot, but Thor: God of Thunder is truly excellent.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I canna stand tha x- men captain, therefore I canna vote fer them. Plus I'm legitimately loving God of Thunder.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor, even if Wolverine and the X-Men is among my absolute favorite X-Men runs! Both are really awesome, but Thor God of Thunder is simply one of the best books I have ever read.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor stomps. As a huge X-Men fan, Wolverine and the X-Men run by Aaron was one of the worst X-Men run i've ever read.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm one of the shameful "haven't read either" types. When I think Aaron the first thing that comes to mind is his Hulk run, which was unique but I found it pretty bad.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By greenlucario

God of Thunder, no contest. Never liked Thor, but God of Thunder changed that.

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised by the negativity towards WATX! I loved every issue of his series and it was what really made me love him as a writer. That being said, I still do prefer Thor. It's consistently fantastic!

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely GoT. Only read the first arc, but it was dang good. Even if I had read WatX, I'd still probably vote against it because I don't like X-Men (as in I don't like the concept and themes. I do like some of the characters).

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

oops, think I need to change my vote, I thought this was Thor vs his Wolverine run. I haven't read Wolverine and the X Men.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Both are good.I like wolverine story better than thor.Thor had some pretty good fight scenes in it.

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like both series. If this was just God Butcher + Bomb vs & X-men it would be Thor no contest.

But once Gor was out of the picture, GoT was much weaker, still great, but weaker. Especially the Maleketh stuff. It does not hold a candle to what came before. Meanwhile, Wolverine and the X-men has been consistently fun throughout Aaron's run. It is the dose of levity that the X-books have lacked since Nightcrawler died. Also Broo is one of my favorite characters period thanks to that series.

So overall, very tough call for me.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This ain't even a contest.WATX has been mostly garbage throughout it;s career while Thor has been Marvel's best title for a while now.This is my second favorite Thor run ever.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah!

Thor.

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clayscarface

First one of these that I've actually read at least some of both, so it's the hardest vote I've had to cast for these. Unfortunately, I'm way behind on the Thor run, so even though what I HAVE read was outstanding, I just know more about the Wolverine series. Still, both are fantastic.

Luismah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Wolverine Fan, but "God of Thunder" is just awesome, by far better than WATX

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

First one where I don't really have an opinion. Not a huge fan of the writer. To be fair, I've not read any of his Thor comics, but the X-Men/Wolverine comics of his that I've read just seem really cheesy to me. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

Timotheus316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ribic is the real winner here. Love Wolverine. My favorite comic character but Aaron's Thor story was epic. Like I said, Ribic is the real winner here. His art made this story for me. So yeah, Aaron's Thor will knock this one out of the park. Wolvie and the X-Men was a fun ride and I read it first but Thor kept me glued to turning them pages.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God of Thunder is outstanding, W+X I found frequently unreadable. Not much contest.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine and the X-Men was one of my favorite books at Marvel the last few years. It gets my vote. Thor was been good too though. I think Marvel should consider using the GOD BUTCHER arc as the story line in THOR 3. Kind of like how they adapted EXTREMIS for Iron Man 3 and THE WINTER SOLDIER for Captain America 2. Hell, THOR 2 would have been better had Marvel just used ACCURSED. (Or read any Malekith story for that matter)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#40 god_spawn  Moderator
@ducey13 said:

Wolverine and the X-Men was one of my favorite books at Marvel the last few years. It gets my vote. Thor was been good too though. I think Marvel should consider using the GOD BUTCHER arc as the story line in THOR 3. Kind of like how they adapted EXTREMIS for Iron Man 3 and THE WINTER SOLDIER for Captain America 2. Hell, THOR 2 would have been better had Marvel just used ACCURSED. (Or read any Malekith story for that matter)

How can they use an arc that started 2 months before the movie came out?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#42 god_spawn  Moderator

@billy_batson: He said they should have used the Accursed arc for Thor 2, which came out in September of last year since it used Malekith. So about 2 months before the movie came out >:P.

Lykida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Lykida

Thor: God of Thunder has been my favorite book period since it started. For me it's the ultimate Thor story so far because Aaron totally gets what the Thunderer is all about. It's epic, tragic, heroic and just plain beautiful, especially when Esad Ribic draws it.

The X-Men are my favorite Comic book team and I've read X-books for the last 15 years. I liked Wolverine and the X-Men, the art was great most of the time and I love the new Jean Grey school with ice tower, Krakoa and Bamfs, but the story just didn't work for me sometimes. I didn't like the Hellfire storyline and I think the potential of some characters was wasted.

So, I voted for Thor: God of Thunder.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I went with Thor. I hated the second arc, and the Godkiller story went on a bit too long, but Aaron is doing some very interesting stuff there. I really wasn't a fan of the comical vibe on Wolvie and the X-Men. Also didn't care for the art during the issues that I read. I think my favorite Marvel work from Aaron might be his Incredible Hulk run.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read either