Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Grant Morrison's ALL-STAR SUPERMAN or BATMAN R.I.P.?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Grant Morrison's ALL-STAR SUPERMAN or BATMAN R.I.P.? (251 votes)

All-Star Superman 57%
Batman R.I.P. 23%
I love them equally 6%
Sorry, not a fan of either 5%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either 8%

When it comes to the comic industry, Grant Morrison is a titan. The creative mind has produced so many phenomenal stories, but his work on two legendary characters has left a particularly massive impression. ALL-STAR SUPERMAN and BATMAN R.IP. are entirely different character experiences with drastically different visuals and both are widely praised as must read stories. We know it won't be an easy choice, but this week, we want you to compare and contrast these two tales. Do you prefer one over the other? Do you love them equally? Are you simply not a fan of them or have you not read either?

Voting is open until Friday morning (ET). That should give you plenty of time to think it through or even reread these two books. Once you've voted, please be sure to jump into the comments and explain why a certain option on the poll earned your support. Make it awesome enough and we might highlight in Friday's update.

Friday's article will include:

• The poll's results.
  • A "Viner Post of the Week" made for each story.
  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • Other work we recommend by the writer.
  • A tease for next week's writer.

Feel free to make future title suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So easy. All-Star Superman. I absolutely hated RIP (what the heck was going on?).

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a tough one. Both of these stories are amazing but I would probably have to give it to All Star Superman, it is just the perfect Superman story, it shows us everything that makes Superman the greatest hero the world has ever seen.

Agent_Everyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both of these stories are epic, wonderful, stories that are very iconic to each character. However, only All-Star Superman is very unique to the character and shatters the mold for the format that has been how people write the character's stories.

The Batman R.I.P storyline works great as a stand alone but is only made better when read as part of the whole of the entire Morrison Batman arc that leads up through RIP and Final Crisis, and ends with the finale of Batman Incorporated Vol. 2. This is typical for a writer or creator that has a long period of time on a series or character but All-Star Superman doesn't depend on the strength of other story arcs for more meaning and background. It's just one perfect stand alone story that was a great adaptation of the Superman and related properties including his parents, Lois, Jimmy and Lex.

While the R.I.P. storyline is fantastic and still can stand alone without requiring other material read, it is enhanced with that background. It is also worthwhile to point out that much of the themes and concepts that Morrison focused on were a 'pinnacle of perfection; hybrid of mind and body Batman', It's based off of decades of earlier portrayals and concepts that have appeared in Batman since the '60s where Batman was more like a secret agent then a super hero. It does speak to the depth and magnitude of RIP and the rest of Morrison's Batman arcs, but A.S.S goes in the opposite direction.

All-Star Superman shows the sheer power and strength of the character but does something that very few authors have done when writing Superman... he made him more relate-able to the average reader and they were able to connect with him and the story line on an emotional level that has probably never been accomplished before with the character. The finality of the series pointed out a different view with the character and that in a way, the world didn't really need him they way they all thought. It is still a wonderful example of the humanity behind the character and the depth behind him as a person that is rarely portrayed in comics.

It is all too common for Superman to be written and portrayed as an incredibly powerful character and in a way, it's the same for Batman. The true difference in this stories is that while Batman had never been more unrelateable in Morrison's stories, including R.I.P., Superman had never been more relate-able in All-Star. The later is a much harder accomplishment to portray in any media and Morrison did it better then anyone. That's imho.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SanoHibiki
ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By ComicStooge

A 'Favourite Robin' poll should be used one of these days, IMO.

I know the poll has been done a lot on a bunch of threads, but putting it on the front page with the entire community's input would be awesome.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By JakeN7

Batman R.I.P is weird and beautiful. Grant Morrison's signature style. I love it. However, All Star Superman is art at it's purest form. R.I.P doesn't hold a candle to All Star.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dathomiesilversurfer: That's awesome! I love that story. All Star Superman is my favorite graphic novel of all time, and I'm a huge bat-fanboy.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy vote for me. Though both are good, I'm really a fan of only one of the characters, Batman. And with that being said, All Star Superman made me like Superman. It made me feel so much.

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love superman all star the comic is so good i even love the movie which is probably the best superman movie

But do not get me wrong batman rip was good but I just feel they didn't explain things enough at all. I Do wish that Morrison would finish the all star batman.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

This is an easy pick for me. I honestly didn't enjoy any of Morrison's Batman after, Batman and Son. Bored me to tears. All Star Superman, however, is literally the reason I started reading comics. I saw the scan of Superman lifting 200 quintillion tons and I fell in love with the art and scale of it. Then when I finally had the chance to read it I was captivated from start to finish.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By frozen  Moderator

All Star is average at best.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By spidermonkey2099

Both are fantastic stories. Batman RIP is a trippy, complex, well thought out story that features a thrilling showdown between Batman and the Joker, as well as with the Black Glove, who had, up to that point, been plaguing Batman throughout Grant Morrison's run. It also introduced some of the campier Batman stories from the 60s into modern continuity in a pretty cool way. It is a very good Batman story that is easily one of the 20 or 25 best Batman stories written (out of the ones that I've read thus far, anyway).

I voted for All-Star Superman though, because it is one of three Superman stories that I'd put at the top of my "Best Superman Stories" list (the other two being "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow," both by Alan Moore). Grant Morrison just really gets Superman's character. He is a powerful being, who also happens to be very caring and, because of that, always tries to put humanities needs before his own. A lot of times Superman is simply written as a two-dimensional boy scout that often solves everything with punches or super breath. Grant Morrison's story really fleshes out the character of Superman, and shows how interesting a character like Superman can be. Not to mention his supporting cast. I've never seen a cooler incarnation of Jimmy Olsen.