Essential Comics for 9/16/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Each Wednesday, comic stores release a slew of brand new comics for people to check out, but there's just so much that it's hard to chose what is an essential comic. Don't fret, the fine folks of Comic Vine are here to help you figure out what is worth picking out. We put together a list of 10 books you should really consider buying this Wednesday.

Tony's Picks

TOKYO GHOST #1

No Caption Provided

(Image)

Written by Rick Remender

Art by Sean Murphy

Rick Remender is focusing on creator-owned stories right now. That gives him a chance to finally get the project he’d been planning with Sean Murphy off the ground. TOKYO GHOST is a great new (and crazy) series you won’t want to miss. I had to chance to read the first issue already and spoke to Rick about it and working with Sean. Set in the near future, the world is obsessed with technology and are basically slaves to those that provide it. Of course there will be those that go against the rules of society which allows the main characters Constable Led Dent and his sidekick Debbie Decay to be introduced. It’s not just about to law enforcers as there is actually a big love story element mixed in.

Basically all you need to know is Rick Remender and Sean Murphy have some big things planned here. The story is full of frantic action and Murphy’s art will blow you away. Don’t miss out on the first issue. You’ll regret it if you do.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Jeph Loeb

Art by Tim Sale

Here’s the crazy thing. The zero issue for CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE actually came out back in 2008. That’s how long I’ve been waiting for this to come out. I’ve been patient because sometimes things just happen that are beyond anyone’s control. Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale have done a remarkable job in their past collaborations on the “color” books in the Marvel Universe as well as BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN and their other books. I love Captain America. Seeing a story focusing on Cap and Bucky is going to be great. I am curious if anything has changed from the original concept. Most likely things have remained unchanged.

If you’ve been missing Steve Rogers as Cap or want to see some classic adventures with Cap and Bucky, be sure to check this out. It’s been in the works for some time and hopefully it’ll have been worth the wait.

STAR WARS #9

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by Stuart Immonen

Just when you thought things couldn’t get any better, STAR WARS with Stuart Immonen showed us it could happen. Immonen has jumped right into the series and set the course for light speed. Jason Aaron has been cranking up the story. Many were concerned with the series taking place in between Episodes IV and V but he’s shown that there’s still plenty of stories and plenty of suspense he can deliver.

The main developments going on is the mystery behind the woman from Han Solo’s past and what that means for the guy we’ve known for years. We also have Luke trying to figure out how he can get any insight into become a Jedi. To make things worse for Luke, he just had his lightsaber stolen. He probably has a bad feeling about that.

ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #5

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Jeff Lemire

Art by Ramón Pérez

It’s time to find out more about Clint Barton and his past. It’s strange because even though we already know quite a bit about Clint’s past with his brother, Barney, growing up in the circus, I’m still fascinated by what Jeff Lemire has to tell us. Combined with Ramón Pérez’s art, it’s a gorgeous experience.

The story isn’t just set in the past. We do have the modern day adventures (and problems) that Clint and Kate Bishop are getting themselves into. We’re waiting to find out more about the repercussions from their last mission they went on for S.H.I.E.L.D. and those weird kids they rescued. Knowing Clint and Kate, things are going to get pretty messy.

BLACK CANARY #4

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Brenden Fletcher

Art by Annie Wu and Lee Loughridge

I’ve been digging this series more and more with each issue. It’s hard to believe this is only the fourth one. Brenden Fletcher and Annie Wu have been giving us a little something different with each issue. It’s not just about Dinah being the singer in a band. With the other developments over a band member and the return of a person from Dinah’s past, things are getting interesting and peculiar.

If that wasn’t enough, we have a guest artist this issue. Annie Wu has been doing a fantastic job creating the new vibe for Dinah and guest artists can usually interrupt the flow but once in a while, we get a really cool guest artist. Pia Guerra doing the interiors here is a reason alone to get this issue. Throw in everything that Fletcher and Wu have been setting up, it’s a no-brainer.

Honorable Mention: SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #21

Mat's Picks

MARTIAN MANHUNTER #4

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Rob Williams

Art by Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira and Gabe Eltaeb

I've been really enjoying the insanity that is MARTIAN MANHUNTER, since it's the first time I've actually enjoyed a J'onn J'onzz story. Sorry, MM fans, but I was never really a fan of the character until this series, which, as I've mentioned before, flips the world of Martian Manhunter on its head.

There are so many questions about what's going on here, especially with Mister Biscuits, who is apparently actually Martian Manhunter? What about this giant war coming with Martians trying to take over Earth?

Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira have made this book extra creepy, especially with Gabe Eltaeb's colors on this book. Tonally, this book is dark and creepy, edging on the line of horror, but that's what makes it such a great book.

MANIFEST DESTINY #17

No Caption Provided

(Image)

Written by Chris Dingess

Art by Matthew Roberts, Owen Gieni

In MANIFEST DESTINY, there's always been these giant arcs and when these giant arcs are around, that means there's insane, giant beasts to follow and most likely, said beasts are going to take out some of the crew.

At the end of the last issue, Dawhogg and Collins climbed inside one of these arcs and there's tons of skulls inside, so chances are, whatever put the skulls there will be attacking Collins as well. Writer Chris Dingess really keeps this book fun and suspenseful, but there's also a sense of cruelness to the characters here, which is kind of awesome as well.

As always, Matthew Roberts and Owen Gieni deliver some stunning art and I cannot wait to see what beasts will be popping up next here.

BLOODSHOT REBORN #6

No Caption Provided

(Valiant)

Written by Jeff Lemire

Art by Butch Guice

The first arc of this series was fantastic. What an amazing way to kick off a series. The opening arc really made Bloodshot a character to keep your eye on and Jeff Lemire gave the series a cool, new direction, but yes, there's still people getting shot down left and right.

It is a bit of a bummer that Mico Suayan won't be doing the art on the issue, but Butch Guice is a solid artist who will do the story a lot of justice, especially with David Baron backing him up, who also did colors on the first arc.

Bloodshot will still be hunting down ninite infected murderers in Colorado, and the series is nicely grounded in the Valiant Universe and I'm happy to see this story stand on its own. Do yourselves a favor and get caught up on Valiant's best new series.

CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER #4

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Ming Doyle and James Tynion IV

Art by Vanesa Del Rey

I've always really like John Constantine as a character, but I'd never really call myself an expert on him. What I really like about Ming Doyle and James Tynion's run on this book, thus far, is that we're really getting to know who John Constantine is. We're getting inside his head and learning more about him and his world. Doyle and Tynion make the stories progress naturally. This is really a great reintroduction to the world of Constantine.

I am excited to see what's in store for the character in the next issue, especially with Vanesa Del Rey moving forward. She did solid work on issue #3 of the book, and I like how her art gives this book a very specific look that fits the mystical world it takes place in.

GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY #4

No Caption Provided

Written by Cullen Bunn

Art by Javier Pina

The Green Lantern Corps now knows exactly where they are, but they're still lost. Why? Well, they're in the universe that existed before their universe: Relic's universe.

This is all, of course, before Relic battled the Lanterns in the "Lights Out" story line, so Relic is more about studying everyone rather than trying to destroy them. The story Cullen Bunn is telling here is pretty awesome and I'm really enjoying the direction.

Javia Pina takes over on art duties and personally, I'm not incredibly familiar with his artwork. From what I can remember, he does really solid work though, so there's no real hang-ups on the artist changing.

There you have it! We'll see you next week. Let us know what books you're looking forward to in the comment section below.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I'll give Tokyo Ghost a try. I liked Sean Murphy's work in Chrononuats. This one looks fun too.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Tokyo Ghost looks awesome.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Bloodshot and Rai would be my essentials for the week.

Also picking up Invincible and Fade Out from Image as well as Infinity Guantlet.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mfundroid

Black Canary #4 baby!

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I picked up Constantine #1 and 2. After #1 i was very disappointed and didn't even bother reading #2

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Captain America: White

- Tokyo Ghost

I'm a few issues behind on Manifest Destiny. I plan on catching up sometime before December.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Pull this week :

• All-New Hawkeye #5

• Auteur : Sister Bambi #4

• Beauty #2

• Fade Out #9

• Invincible #123

• Island #3

• Manifest Destiny #17

• ODY-C #7

• Paybacks #1

• Rat Queens #12

• Secret Identities #7

• Shutter #15

• Tokyo Ghost #1

• 2 Sisters A Super-Spy Graphic Novel HC

• 100 Bullets Volume 3 TP

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Sean Murphy on Tokyo Ghost is a must buy and probably will be getting Captain America White

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Wonder Woman #21

Martian Manhunter #4

Might consider Captain America White.

Saint_Talker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Tokyo Ghost

-Captain America: White

-All new Hawkeye

-Black Canary

-Martian Manhunter

-Constanine: The Hellblazer

-Green Lantern: Lost Army

Ashr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really looking forward to the next issue of Lando and Fade Out continues to be great noir murder mystery with some interesting back page stories about the 1940s. I'm curious to see where the Martian Manhunter storyline goes also.

Martian Manhunter #4

Fade Out #9

Star Wars #9

Star Wars Lando #4 (Of 5)

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodshot Reborn, aw yeah!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Bloodshot Reborn.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My essentials for the week,

1. Manifest Destiny #17

2. Martian Manhunter #4

3. Robin Son of Batman #4

4. Secret Six #6

5. Green Lantern Lost Army #4

6. Harley Quinn #20

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited for Tokyo Ghost.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very excited to read Tokyo Ghost. Remender's stuff is usually pretty great and I really like the idea behind this one.

OnyxArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OnyxArtist

The lack of Tokyo Ghost is disheartening.

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very lite week, just Robin SoB and Tokyo Ghost! Remender is killin it with Deadly Class. Can't wait for the new arc.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By DrellAssassin

The lack of Tokyo Ghost is disheartening.

It's the first one on the list?

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sean Murphy you say? Well then I believe you shall silence yourself immediately and relieve me of my funds.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sean Murphy you say? Well then I believe you shall silence yourself immediately and relieve me of my funds.

I'm totally stealing this.

OnyxArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: It's Rick Remender, all the picks should be Tokyo Ghost.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fastestmanalive

Martian Manhunter #4

Bizarro #4

Wonder Woman #44