Essential Comics for 8/26/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Every Wednesday, tons of new comic books come out and we have to figure out what to buy as our wallets to empty from all the awesomeness modern comics have to offer. To help ease your mind, the staff at Comic Vine picked some books out they can't wait to read. Let's get right down to it and see what books are essential.

Check out all this week's new releases here.

Tony's Picks

SUPERMAN #43

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Gene Luen Yang

Art by John Romita & Klaus Janson

Ever since we first found out Superman’s biggest secret was revealed to the world by Lois Lane, readers had mixed reactions. Many came down on Lois for betraying her friend and felt it was out of character for her. As the story has been unfolding in SUPERMAN in the Before Truth story arc, we’ve slowly seen there is (obviously) more to the story than expected. We’re seeing in the other titles how some close to Clark have felt deeply betrayed by the secret but Lois appears to still be by his side. So the big question remains why would she, in turn, betray Clark?

We’ve already stated our opinion on Lois’s upcoming decision and this issue is going to touch on the reason. With each issue, Gene Yang is getting more and more comfortable with the characters and it’ll be interesting to see what he has coming up.

HANK JOHNSON AGENT OF HYDRA #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by David Mandel

Art by Michael Walsh

We’ve been seeing a pretty wide variety of books come out of Secret Wars but this one really gets us excited. We all know HYDRA is an evil organization but maybe there’s something more to it than we all realized. Maybe it’s not as evil as we were lead to believe. This is our chance to get a look at the inner workings of an organization just doing what they can to get by in a crazy competitive world. Some have asked why this book isn’t focusing on Bob, Agent of HYDRA, but I have to say it’s probably a better idea to introduce a new character with Hank. We already know some about Bob and his friendship with Deadpool so why not check on a more normal everyday day HYDRA agent?

I’m curious to see what a David Mandel written comic will be like. I’m super-excited about Michael Walsh’s art. I can’t get enough of his art and have been having withdrawals since SECRET AVENGERS ended.

SONS OF THE DEVIL #4

No Caption Provided

(Image)

Written by Brian Buccellato

Art by Toni Infante

The story and mystery continues. Brian Buccellato’s been giving us an eerie look at life within a cult. Cut to years later, Travis is starting to get more answers about his family, whether he likes it or not. Travis Crowe is a fascinating character. He’s far from your typical comic book lead. He definitely has his share of problems including some anger issues because of everything he went through during his upbringing. Seeing his story unfold is intriguing but also a little harsh at times. Because of his faults, you want to look away but the story captivates you and you become glued to each page.

Along with Buccellato’s story, we have Toni Infante’s art. His style really captures the vibe of the story. There’s a raw emotion in both the characters and the art that go together perfectly. With more secrets being revealed, the next issue definitely has our attention.

SHIELD #9

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Mark Waid

Art by Lee Ferguson

We know that S.H.I.E.L.D. has been around a while but it’s hard to believe it’s been fifty years (in our time). There’s a lot of history that goes with the organization and it’s pretty cool to see an issue commemorate the anniversary. There’s been some good and bad things that have happened. I can’t say I’m too thrilled with Nick Fury Sr’s status but I’m curious to see a ‘crossover’ story across time with him and Phil Coulson. If that wasn’t enough, this is where we get the see the “return” of Dum Dum Dugan and get the introduction of the new Howling Commandos, which will get their own series in the upcoming HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

This is an oversized issue with a bunch of creators contributing. This could be a nice piece of history you won’t want to miss.

CYBORG #2

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by David Walker

Art by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado

CYBORG is finally getting the attention many of us have been waiting for. From the 8-page preview and the first issue, we’ve seen that Vic is going through some changes. There’s a threat that’s headed his way and more secrets to unlock. Why does a group of aliens want with him? What’s the connection between it all? This is our chance to find out more about where Vic stands in the new DC Universe.

David Walker has a good take on the character. I can’t wait to see more of what he has in store for Cyborg. Add in art by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado, there shouldn’t be any question whether or not you pick this issue up.

Honorable Mentions: DRIVE #1, FIGHT CLUB 2 #4

Mat's Picks

ANT-MAN LAST DAYS #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Nick Spencer

Art by Ramon Rosanas

More Ant-Man with Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas? Yes please! This creative team has really put together a dynamite series thus far, as we follow the adventures of Scott Lang trying to redeem himself for all his past wrongs, while putting together a security force.

In this issue, a clairvoyant predicts the end of the world and Scott Lang has a vital mission to complete, in the days before SECRET WARS begins. It'll be nice to see some more 616 stories before SECRET WARS ends and the new Marvel Universe pops up, and once again, this creative team has been killing it with this character.

If this book is anything like the current run, expect a really run story that looks great. Also, it's Scott Lang as Ant-Man, people like Ant-Man now, right?

GRAYSON #11

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Tim Seeley & Tom King

Art by Mikel Janin

Colors by Jeromy Cox

Moving forward, let me just take my big, stupid foot out of my mouth as I recommend GRAYSON #11 to you. When this series started, even after giving the first few issues a chance, I was really against it. However, after my stubbornness faded, this book started to really hit its stride in the post-CONVERGENCE DC Universe.

In the last issue, Grayson came to grips with the fact that Lex Luthor, the man who killed him in Forever Evil, has control over him, which was a really cool twist to the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out with everything else going on in the book.

As always, Mike Janin brings some of the best looking art in comics to this series, with Jeromy Cox on colors. This is a book to buy just for the art alone. Luckily, the story is pretty dang awesome as well.

PREZ #3

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Mark Russell

Art by Ben Caldwell

PREZ us different and based on a mini-series that holds a special place in my heart. This book is a political book without directly being a political book, if that makes sense. Frankly, the way I feel about politics and the way people talk about politics is comical, and PREZ does a pretty good job at poking fun at the government and the way the media covers politics. It's all big one joke and this book is just a bunch of fun.

We're seeing Beth Ross slowly rise in the polls as she runs for President of the United States. Mark Russell does a great job with this character, but what really wins me over is the art of Ben Caldwell, Mark Morales, and Jeremy Lawson. I say, just check this out and if you don't like it, you have a stone cold heart...

If that didn't win you over, maybe this will... Taco Drones.

X-O MANOWAR Vol 9 "Dead Hand"

No Caption Provided

(Valiant)

Written by Robert Venditti

Art by Diego Bernard & Rafael Sandoval

I understand you're probably tired of me blabbing on and on about how great X-O MANOWAR is and I keep talking about it because this series is the best that Valiant has to offer, which is saying a lot since that company puts out a lot of awesome series.

"Dead Hand" was a great story that changed X-O Manowar's world and not for the better. He was up against a new villain whose job it was to kill anyone wearing the armor at any cost. Writer Robert Venditti and artist Diego Bernard did an amazing job on this run and it's something everyone should really check out.

There's a few moments that really throw readers through a loop as well, which we won't spoil here, mainly because we want you to read it for yourselves first.

RASPUTIN #8

No Caption Provided

(Image)

Written by Alex Grecian

Art by Riley Rossmo

Colors by Ivan Plascencia

Back in 1916, Grigori Rasputin was thrown into an icy river and somehow survived. He'd been poisoned, stabbed, beaten, but kept coming back to life. That's the legend of this character and in issue 8, we're finally going to get to see what happened on that night.

This series has been a great piece of historical fiction, playing on the supposed mystical abilities that Rasputin had while he was alive. Alex Grecian delivers an entertaining and intriguing story I just can't get enough of. To top it all off, Riley Rossmo and Ivan Plascencia are two amazing artists that put out some beautiful art on this book, month after month.

Honorable Mention: CIVIL WAR #3

That's it for this week's edition of Essential Comics. Let us know what your books you're super-duper excited for this week in the comment section below!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

For a second, I thought they made an Exorcist comic by the thumbnail.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DC:

• Aquaman #43
  • Cyborg #2
  • Grayson #11
  • JLA #3
  • Superman #43

Marvel:

• Ant-Man Last Days #1
  • Magneto #21
  • Old Man Logan #4
  • S.H.I.E.L.D. #9
  • Spider-Woman #10

Valiant:

• Book Of Death Fall Of Ninjak #1
  • Ninjak #6
roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By roaris87

I read the first issue of Cyborg and wasn't totally blown away by it, I may give issue 2 a shot. Anyone else think those bad guys look like the Husks the Geth make in Mass Effect?

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Force 92 BITCHES!

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

EAST OF WEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rac_shade

My Pull this week :-

• East Of West #20

• Low #9

• Rasputin #8

• Rumble #6

• Sons Of The Devil #4

• Spread #9

• They're Not Like Us #7

• Image Giant-Sized Artist's Proof Edition The Walking Dead #1

Scalped v2 Deluxe Edition

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another week nothing maybe one day a good comic will come out again.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CitizenJP

That cover for Sons of the Devil is the jams.

Michael_Moran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never apologize for x o manowar...it is sooooooo good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double dose of Ninjak.

Saint_Talker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for Ragnarok # 6

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another week nothing maybe one day a good comic will come out again.

I got one word for you: Ninjak.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great week for me. Although just a few books they are all beyond awesome for me.

Superman #42 - This series is really surprising me. I had never read any of Yang's work and so far the "Truth" story line has been horrible, completely changing the character of Superman from who he is, (Last week's Superman/ Wonder Woman was the worst so far, and that's saying al ot). The main reason this is the only Superman title I still like is probably because he's still Superman here since its "Before Truth." .I'll probably drop the Superman title after it catches up and enters the world of "After Truth" but maybe Yang will surprise me a second time.

JLA #2 - Bryan Hitches art is gorgeous and enough reason alone to love this book. Add to that the epic story line, intriguing mystery, formidable threat and great characterization WITH the greatest heroes and you got yourself one hell of a book.

Grayson #11 - Also great art, really tapping into Dick's fun personality and cool acrobatics, together with that cool spy/espionage story makes this one of my favorite books.

Deathstroke #9 - Gotta admit the story isn't always great but this book is a ton of fun with big gory over the top action from one of the greatest bad ass's in comics. Also Tony Daniels art is pretty great.

nofzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@xwraith: I'm getting The two Ninjaks as well..and I gotta say, Valiant is killing it these days, I actually like Imperium best out of everything they're doing right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nofzac: They're the only publisher with more than one title on my pull list.

And welcome to Comic Vine!

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pretty much get anything that isn't Marvel. Valiant and Image are just killing it in my opinion. Wish Ninjak was bi-weekly!

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

All my books are from IDW this week Godzilla in hell 2 , Casey andApril 3 and drive 1. Excited about drive

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By SaintWildcard

Superman #42 - This series is really surprising me. I had never read any of Yang's work and so far the "Truth" story line has been horrible, completely changing the character of Superman from who he is, (Last week's Superman/ Wonder Woman was the worst so far, and that's saying al ot). The main reason this is the only Superman title I still like is probably because he's still Superman here since its "Before Truth." .I'll probably drop the Superman title after it catches up and enters the world of "After Truth" but maybe Yang will surprise me a second time.

Loading Video...

While Yang is the best writer on the Superman title, he is far from the best currently and Truth as been really good. SM/WW's last issue was great and Pak has been killing it on AC.... not so much BM/SM.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

All I need is Prez.

Em3raldWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC Comics

• Aquaman #43
  • Cyborg #2
  • Deathstroke #9
  • Flash #43
  • Justice League of America #3
  • Sinestro #14
  • Teen Titans #11

IDW

• TMNT Casey & April #3

• Sons of the Devil #4
TonyChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conan the Avenger

Ragnarok

Sons of the Devil

East of West

Where Monsters Dwell

Fall of Ninjak

Ninjak

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Superman #43

Cyborg #2

JLA #3

Fight Club 2 #4

Magneto #21

The Maxx Maxximized #22

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@fastestmanalive said:

Loading Video...

While Yang is the best writer on the Superman title, he is far from the best currently and Truth as been really good. SM/WW's last issue was great and Pak has been killing it on AC.... not so much BM/SM.

Regardless of the quality of each title, I find it ridiculous how some people are so hostile towards any degree of change. Regardless of the fact that this event has done nothing to alter, even slightly, the basic character traits that make Superman, well, Superman, people are still clamoring that DC has changed the character beyond repair???? Seriously?

It just goes to show that, to some people, ephemeral characteristics are everything; that appearance is everything. Superman is still Superman as long as he's wearing the cape on his shoulders, but as soon as you take away the cape, he ceases being Superman? Part of this story's importance is to show that Superman is more than just his powers and that, even if you remove most of the trappings we traditionally identify with the character, the core of who he is is a really good guy who wants to stand up for those who can't fight for themselves.

Jaymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I've been enjoying it. I liked Clark in that jacket too. New look? I don't recall it.

I'm vaguely curious about the decision to give this Ant-Man arc its own miniseries. It seems to be the only "Last Days" story that isn't part of its regular book. Shiny new number for film audiences? That's my best guess, and I don't feel that it's a great one.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Really want to buy Sons of the Devil, but realized that it is better for me money wise to wait until the trade comes out.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@fastestmanalive: Agreed, the JLA book is really good. A lot going on in the story with some good writing.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

HELLBOY IN HELL

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Vikhalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a recent Valiant convert: Keep beating the XO drum. It's too good not to. Same with the rest of the Valiant universe. If superhero fans really gave them a shot I think most would be hooked...and I say this as someone who was skeptical.

I've got Superman and Sons of the Devil pulled from this list. Then:

Ragnarok, Conan the Avenger, Deathstroke, Civil War, Marvel Zombies, E is for Extinction, Old Man Logan, Fall of Ninjak.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman in jla last issue was written like how I picture him in my mind. I'd like to think better then he's written issue #2 of jl. That's really the only way to compare.

But it's probably just him having a little more focus while he figures things out.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Civil War #3, #TeamIronMan!

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@nofzac: They're the only publisher with more than one title on my pull list.

And welcome to Comic Vine!

The last issue of X-O was so epic, so emotional, and so amazing. Their "Super-hero" comics are just heads above everyone else.

Their sales numbers make me sad... folks are seriously missing out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@thevaliant: I've only seen a Valiant book crack the top 100 three times (the first issues of Unity, Ninjak, and Bloodshot Reborn).

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 owie  Moderator

Hank, Agent of Hydra? That deserves at least a page-through at the racks, just based on the title.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@thevaliant: I've only seen a Valiant book crack the top 100 three times (the first issues of Unity, Ninjak, and Bloodshot Reborn).

Just picked up today's releases, 4x the Valiant awesomeness for tonight reading including 2x the Ninjak