Essential Comics for 7-5-16

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Every Wednesday, hundreds of new comic books are released, and figuring out what books are worth reading can be a daunting task. Luckily, we're here to help you out with that. Here are ten upcoming issues, in no particular order, you should consider buying on Wednesday, July 6.

Batman #2

No Caption Provided
  • Published by DC
  • Written by Tom King
  • Art by David Finch

Batman kicked off with a bang in issue #1. It was easily one of the most intriguing single issues in years. It left readers with two new heroes in Gotham City. Tom King and David Finch delivered an intense and brilliant opening comic. We're excited to see where it goes next and how Batman deals with two people also vying to be the saviors of Gotham City.

Flintstones #1

No Caption Provided
  • Published by DC
  • Written by Mark Russell
  • Art by Steve Pugh

DC has been dipping into the Hanna-Barbera well for a slew of new titles which include the characters Scooby Doo, Jonny Quest, and more. These books are all geared more towards older readers. The Flintstones is the next property DC is tackling, and after learning a bit more from the creative team, it sounds like a really fun ride. Mark Russell has the perfect sense of humor to helm this new series.

Green Lanterns #2

No Caption Provided

• Published by DC
  • Written by Sam Humphries
  • Art by Robson Rocha

The new Green Lanterns series deals primarily with two rookie Green Lanterns: Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. What makes this comic really cool is the fact that it not only provides insight into how a rookie becomes a full-fledged member of the Corps, but we also get a bit of a team dynamic from the book as well. The last issue led to some interesting things with the Red Lantern Corps, so this will be a book to keep your eye on.

Superman #2

No Caption Provided

• Published by DC
  • Written by Peter Tomasi, Patrick Gleason
  • Art by Patrick Gleason

If you've been keeping up with the events that took place during Rebirth, then you know Superman has a son, and he's quickly developing his powers, which are a whole lot like his father's. Issue #2 of the series marks an adventure between Superman and his son. The solicitation for the issue mentions Eradicator as well, which was one of the new Supermen during the "Return of Superman" story in the 90s, so this will make for an interesting read.

The Fix #4

No Caption Provided

• Published by Image
  • Written by Nick Spencer
  • Art by Steve Lieber

The Fix has been pretty crazy thus far. In the last issue, Roy was trying to pass on a movie script to child-star, turned adult mess, Elaina, and things took a turn for the worse. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber bring a unique sense of humor to a book that feels straight forward on the surface, but in actuality, it's an insane ride that the main characters fell into. The book is still pretty new, so it should be able to catch up on issues #1-3 before picking up the newest installment.

Tokyo Ghost #8

No Caption Provided
  • Published by Image
  • Written by Rick Remender
  • Art by Sean Murphy

Tokyo Ghost is going strong over at Image. This upcoming issue will be dealing with Davey Trauma and Constable Dent heavily. Writer Rick Remender and Sean Murphy have done a wonderful job at world-building and immersing the reader within their creation. If you've missed out on this book, you can catch up by checking out the first volume of the series, containing issues #1-5.

Moon Knight #4

No Caption Provided
  • Published by Marvel
  • Written by Jeff Lemire
  • Art by Greg Smallwood

Moon Knight has been one wild ride. Is Marc Spector insane or has New York City really been taken over by ancient Egyptian beasts? It's a series that keeps the reader guessing, even when presented with all the evidence that Moon Knight is completely sane. Jeff Lemire and Greg Smallwood have crafted one of the strongest starts for Moon Knight in a decade. It's a compelling and engaging read.

Punisher #3

No Caption Provided

• Published by Marvel
  • Written by Becky Cloonan
  • Art by Steve Dillon

Punisher is a character where it's tough to have decade-long runs of the comic because there's only so much you can do with him. However, Becky Cloonan and Steve Dillon are delivering something really special with this series. Frank Castle is stripped down, grounded, and had his character fleshed out a bit more by delving into his past. He's a strong, silent force, and although it's still early in the series, it already has a distinctive voice.

Silver Surfer #5

No Caption Provided

• Published by Marvel
  • Written by Dan Slott
  • Art by Michael Allred

A whole new story arc begins here. Silver Surfer flies a bit under the radar and gets overshadowed by larger titles at Marvel. However, it's one of the most offbeat books at the company. There have been a lot of twists, turns, and huge changes for Silver Surfer in the series, and the newest issue promises more shocking revelations, leading up to the 200th Silver Surfer comic.

Vote Loki #2

No Caption Provided

• Published by Marvel
  • Written by Christopher Hastings
  • Art by Langdon Foss

It's election year. Everyone has strong opinions and likes to shout on the internet about it. While folks on Twitter are hashtagging themselves into fatigue, you should read Vote Loki, which is everything humorous about the political process, with a dash of Loki. The first issue was a blast. Christopher Hastings and Langdon Foss delivered something silly and smart at the same time.

Looking for more recommendations? Here are a few other books worth looking into.

DC

• Aquaman #2
  • Green Arrow #2
  • Justice League Rebirth #1
  • Unfollow #9

• Nailbiter #23
  • Paper Girls #7

Marvel

• Captain America: Sam Wilson #11
  • Empress #4
  • Han Solo #2
  • Poe Dameron #4
  • Totally Awesome Hulk #8

Valiant

• 4001 AD: Shadowman #1
Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

I can't wait to see Dino, he's the best Flintstones character imo.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Essentials: Aquaman, Batman, Justice League Rebirth, Superman.

Honorable Mentions: Green Arrow, Green Lanterns.

Others: -

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Essentials: Aquaman 2, Justice League Rebirth, Unfollow 9

Eventual Reads: Batman 2, Green Arrow 2, Green Lanterns 2, Sheriff of Babylon 8, 4001 AD Shadowman 1

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big week for me, but the most essential is The Fix. Best new book of 2016 so far.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Why do I like The Fix? There isn't a likable character in it. Same with Unfollow.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dd208: I feel like characters that arent that likable are more fun to read than some who are. Thats my opinion tho

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Big week for me, but the most essential is The Fix. Best new book of 2016 so far.

What´s The Fix about ??

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba89dccd4593
deactivated-5ba89dccd4593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7 said:

Essentials: Aquaman, Batman, Justice League Rebirth, Superman.

Honorable Mentions: Green Arrow, Green Lanterns.

Others: -

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla said:

What´s The Fix about ??

The short summary so far, a couple of crooked cops trying to figure out a way to make some money to repay a crime boss. It's by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, who are masters working together and very much their own spiritual successor to Superior Foes of Spider-Man, only cranked up to eleven without having to worry about an age rating. It's been hysterical so far, but as a warning, some of it is pretty crude and deviant humor.

soarlozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats up with Fred? His face doesn't seem to match the art style of pebbles and wilma

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@thor_parker82 said:
@captainhoopla said:

What´s The Fix about ??

The short summary so far, a couple of crooked cops trying to figure out a way to make some money to repay a crime boss. It's by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, who are masters working together and very much their own spiritual successor to Superior Foes of Spider-Man, only cranked up to eleven without having to worry about an age rating. It's been hysterical so far, but as a warning, some of it is pretty crude and deviant humor.

You´ll kill me but......I have never read Superior Foes of Spider-Man, do you recommend it ??

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

JL Rebirth
Batman #2
Green Lanterns #2

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge fan of Superior Foes. Something about The Fix is making it less enjoyable right now.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Superior Foes was brilliant. Besides being a hysterical book, it's also a well thought out heist story with double crosses, etc. It's about five D list at best villains (Boomerang, Shocker, Beetle, Speed Demon, & Overdrive) trying to be the new Sinister Six, even though there's only five, by pulling a big heist in hopes of gaining more respect as villains. Again, it leans very much on humor in both the writing and art. It also has absolutely nothing to do with Spider-Man, he may be in two panels in the whole series.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dd208 said:

Why do I like The Fix? There isn't a likable character in it. Same with Unfollow.

Characters don't have to be likable, they have to be compelling. That's how I feel about Manhattan Projects and East of West.

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have been reading Marvel for about 10 years. Recently I have been feeling more disenfranchised with their brand of comics. So I jumped in on DC Rebirth and wow am lost. Just read my first ever Aqua Man book, the only character I know in the book is Aqua Man. I don't even know his real name. My intentions are to broaden my scope and continue to read DC. We will see.