Essential Comics for 7-27-16

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Every Wednesday, hundreds of new comic books are released, and figuring out what books are worth reading can be a daunting task. Luckily, we're here to help you out with that. Here are five upcoming issues, in no particular order, you should consider buying on Wednesday, July 27.

Batgirl #1

No Caption Provided

• Published by DC
  • Written by Hope Larson
  • Art by Rafael Albuquerque

Batgirl has a brand new series, and it's starting off in a very different place. She's off to Japan to train to become a better fighter. New York Times best-selling author Hope Larson is penning the series with Rafael Albuquerque doing the art. This is a really solid team behind the book, and it seems like it's going an interesting route.

Detective Comics #936

No Caption Provided

• Published by DC
  • Written by James Tynion IV
  • Art by Alvaro Martinez, Raul Fernandez

Writer James Tynion IV is leading this iconic series in a really intriguing direction. It's become a team book, featuring some familiar faces from Gotham, led by Batman and Batwoman. Batman faces The Colony in this issue, which is the newest threat to the city. It's a Batman series that has its own, unique voice.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1

No Caption Provided

• Published by DC
  • Written by Robert Venditti
  • Art by Rafael Sandoval, Jordi Tarragona

Writer Robert Venditti returns to write the adventures of Hal Jordan. Venditti may be the only writer returning to a character during the Rebirth event. This book kicks off with Hal taking on the Sinestro Corps. This sounds like it's going to be a solid start to this new series, and fans can't wait to see how Hal will be rejoining the Green Lantern Corps.

Black Panther #4

No Caption Provided

• Published by Marvel
  • Written by Ta-Nehisi Coates
  • Art by Brian Stelfreeze

Coates and Stelfreeze are crafting something that is new, exciting, and relevant. The first arc for the new series comes to an end in issue #4, but how will Black Panther deal with this uprising in his own country? This book is truly defining who Black Panther is as a hero and a leader. It's a refreshing take on the character.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #3

No Caption Provided

• Published by Marvel
  • Written by Nick Spencer
  • Art by Jesus Saiz

The book that got everyone yelling on the internet is back. Thus far, the series has had quite a few twists and turns, and we're only on issue #3. Nick Spencer breaks down what makes Captain America the hero he is and strips it all away at the same time. It's been a book that's more than worthy of discussion and one you don't want to miss.

Looking for more? Here are a few other books to check out.

DC

• Action Comics #960
  • Flash #3
  • Future Quest #3
  • Nightwing #1

IDW

• TMNT #60

• Sons of the Devil #9

Marvel

• The Mighty Thor #9
  • Ms Marvel #9
  • Old Man Logan #9

Valiant

• X-O Manowar #48
apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Essentials: Action Comics, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Detective Comics, Titans.

Honorable Mentions: Batgirl, Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth, The Flash, Wonder Woman.

Others: Doctor Fate, Nightwing.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

But does Batgirl #1 have Batman and Barbara gave sex?

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Definitely can't wait for detective comic, also adventure time and lumberjane while I am at it tomorrow.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Essentials: Archie 10, Flash 3, Nightwing 1, Black Panther 4, 4001 AD 3

Eventuals: Beauty 9, Detective Comics 937, Titans 1,

Maybes: Batgirl 1, Wonder Woman 3, Civil War II 4

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebirth continues to take my money

Detective comics

Flash

Nightwing

Titans

Hal Jordan & GLC

Not sure about batgirl. Not feeling the art at all . I'll give wonder woman a try , even though I didn't pick up #2

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'll give wonder woman a try , even though I didn't pick up #2

With Wonder Woman you only have to pick up every other issue to keep up with the story. There are two different stories going on at once. One in the even #'s and one in the odd.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No mention of Titans #1 at all? Just from Rebirth alone, it's looking far more interesting than Batgirl #1.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dd208 said:
@casper4690 said:

I'll give wonder woman a try , even though I didn't pick up #2

With Wonder Woman you only have to pick up every other issue to keep up with the story. There are two different stories going on at once. One in the even #'s and one in the odd.

That's strange. Should've just made it two monthly books then. Only other case of alternating stories I know of is Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run, which alternated between Clint and Kate for half a dozen issues towards the end.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So I guess there's no Best Stuff in Comics for 7/20's books?

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebirth is doing nothing for me. Every book I've read feels like some some writer was placed on a book last minute to fill in a story gap between issues 35-40 on a series before they find a real long term writer.......but these are the opening arcs of main books and everything feels super flat and uninspired.

harlequinreala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By harlequinreala

Rebirth is doing nothing for me. Every book I've read feels like some some writer was placed on a book last minute to fill in a story gap between issues 35-40 on a series before they find a real long term writer.......but these are the opening arcs of main books and everything feels super flat and uninspired.

That sucks, hope you find something you like.

Me on the other hand, I'm really enjoying it. I was a long time Marvel Comics only fan and their comics were all crap so I switched to DC right around New52. Been having a good time ever since.

Avatar image for antihero_jaymok
Antihero_Jaymok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Antihero_Jaymok

@NukeA6: Agreed. Tried to get into the new Batgirl, but just couldn't do it. The new Titans book looks beyond amazing to me, though.

Shintakie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JamesSpiring: It looks like they'll eventually cross paths into a single story pretty soon. Also chances are the Steve Trevor story wouldn't have sold nearly as well under its own line without the Wonder Woman title.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I"m with you. DC won be back after Flashpoint, but now I feel they just had some big event that ended with a Watchmen pin being found and now we're just supposed to accept the status quo. "super flat and uninspired" are the words I'm looking for. Very disappointing. Marvel I'm pretty much done with and now DC. Thankfully I still have Image and Valiant.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batgirls gets the full preview but not Nightwing? HERESY.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

"The book that got everyone yelling on the internet is back."

Lol, thought that was funny :p

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw said:

But does Batgirl #1 have Batman and Barbara gave sex?

Of course they do. That is part of Batman's hiring process.

I see what you did there. lol

LilTWill2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebirth is dope as hell though, def gon pick up Hal Jordan n the Green Lanterns.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writer Robert Venditti returns to write the adventures of Hal Jordan. Venditti may be the only writer returning to a character during the Rebirth event. This book kicks off with Hal taking on the Sinestro Corps. This sounds like it's going to be a solid start to this new series, and fans can't wait to see how Hal will be rejoining the Green Lantern Corps.

Okay, that is just not true at all. Just from the transition of New 52/DCYou into Rebirth, we have a ton of writers returning to continue their runs with certain characters. We have Abnett on Aquaman and Titans, Seeley on Nightwing, Percy on Green Arrow, Palmiotti and Connor on Harley Quinn, Lobdell on Red Hood, Jurgens on Batman Beyond, Snyder on All-Star Batman. And that's not including writers returning to write characters they've written from before the transition, like Tynion (Batman and Robin Eternal), Rucka (Wonder Woman), Giffen (Blue Beetle), and Jurgens (Superman).

jper415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Appears to be a typo with "Detective Comics." It looks like this week is 937 (image shown) but the title reads 936.