Essential Comics for 1-27-16

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Each week, a massive number of comics are released. Determining which titles are worth checking out can be a daunting task, especially if you're trying to keep your spending under a certain limit. We've gone through the list to help you decide which books you need to read on Wednesday, January 27.

Tony's Picks

Deadly Class #18

No Caption Provided

Publisher: Image

Written by Rick Remender

Art by Wes Craig

Issue after issue, Deadly Class remains an insane and action-packed comic. Ever since Marcus Lopez found his way at the King’s Dominion School of the Deadly Arts, he hasn't been able to escape the violence and grief he's known for so long. It appeared he was starting to form friendships and a new life but everything soon came crashing down around him. As if things weren’t bad enough, final exams have started at the school. Unfortunately, this means it's student versus student with survival the only way you can pass. The entire school is in chaos with death all around. In this issue, the fighting will continue outside the school grounds and on the streets of San Francisco.

Rick Remender and Wes Craig have been giving us a fantastic series. There's a great "anything goes" feeling, and you honestly have no idea what will happen next. We can only hope our favorite characters will survive this latest bloodbath.

Art Ops #4

No Caption Provided

Publisher: Vertigo

Written by Shaun Simon

Art by Mike Allred

What is Shaun Simon going to throw at us next? We've been seeing some wacky stories as the Operatives fight to protect the various works of art. In this world, the art can come to life and escape their frames. The original team has disappeared, and it's up to the leader's son, Reggie Riot, to protect the Mona Lisa. The problem is, Reggie doesn't want the job and isn’t the most reliable person. With some of his past a mystery, we're going to see what crawls out of his past and how it will affect the story.

The art by Mike Allred and Matt Brundage has been phenomenal. With a story focusing on various works of art, you expect and need great visuals. These guys, along with Laura Allred's colors, are delivering on many levels. Each issue has been a wild trip and I can’t wait to see what they’ll throw at us next.

Extraordinary X-Men #6

No Caption Provided

Publisher: Marvel

Written by Jeff Lemire

Art by Victor Ibanez

There used to be a time when we had a bunch of different X-Men books. With the All-New, All-Different Marvel titles, there a tighter focus on their adventures and we have a great line up in this title. Now that [young] Jean Grey and Old Man Logan have agreed to be part of the team, they all survived their first story arc against Mister Sinster (and some demons in Hell). If that adventure wasn’t crazy enough, the team is headed to Weirdworld. What or who could get the X-Men to make this trip? Will they all survive? Weirdworld may be a weird place but it’s also a pretty dangerous one.

Jeff Lemire is joined by Victor Ibanez on art. It'll be great to see his take on Weirdworld along with this team. There's a nice mix of members. We still need to find out what’s going on with Nightcrawler. Having Colossus and Magik together is cool. It's refreshing to see the different X-titles be allowed to do their own thing.

Monstress #3

No Caption Provided

Written by Marjorie Liu

Art by Sana Takeda

This books is amazing. Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda have introduced us to a beautiful and dreary world. There's been a war and despite its ending, there's still a conflict between humans and the Arcanic hybrids. The story focuses on one hybrid named Maika. As if the world wasn’t dangerous enough, she’s also fighting a darkness within.

Each issue is like a surreal trip to another world. There’s such a big feel to the story. I feel like we’ve just had the tiniest glimpse of what’s to come. I love when I read a new series and have absolutely no idea where the story is going to take us.

Twilight Children #4

No Caption Provided

Publisher: Vertigo

Written by Gilbert Hernandez

Art by Darwyn Cooke

This was a series I kept meaning to read each time a new issue came out. After finally reading all three issues, I'm hooked. With Gilbert Hernandez writing the story and Darwyn Cooke handling the art, it's been an incredible story so far.

When strange orbs started appearing, a scientist and some government agents became interested. There's been a lot going on with a trio of children seemingly blinded by the orb and a mysterious woman named Ela that appeared. It's unclear whether or not the mysterious orbs pose a threat to the town and even the entire planet. It's a bummer this is only a four-issue series.

Mat's Picks

Old Man Logan #1

No Caption Provided

Publisher: Marvel

Written by Jeff Lemire

Art by Andrea Sorrentino, MaceloMiaolo

The team behind the critically acclaimed Green Arrow series is back, but this time, they're taking on the fan-favorite Wolverine from Mark Millar and Steve McNiven's "Old Man Logan" story. This is a Wolverine from an alternate timeline. One who killed all the heroes in the Marvel Universe after being tricked by Mysterio.

Now, Old Man Logan is in the main Marvel Universe, 50 years in his possible past, and he has a chance to make up for past mistakes. This is one of the most exciting creative teams behind a Wolverine book in years. If you've ever enjoyed this character, this is a must buy.

Grayson #16

No Caption Provided

Publisher: DC

Written by Tim Seeley

Art by Mikel Janin

Grayson isn't about Dick being Robin or Nightwing. This series is all about him as a secret agent. The series had a slow start, but it really hit its stride after the first arc. Tim Seeley and Mikel Janin are providing some great storytelling and giving this iconic DC character a new role.

What's going to be really interesting about this issue is that the recent story "Robin War" completely changed Grayson in the DC Universe. What does this mean for the series? Because of Grayson's new affiliation with a predominant and notorious group in the DCU, that could really affect Grayson's relationships with work and those around him. There should be some exciting revelations coming soon.

Bloodshot Reborn #10

No Caption Provided

Publisher: Valiant

Written by Jeff Lemire

Art by Lewis LeRosa

Bloodshot is an unstoppable killing machine that can heal himself thanks to the help of nanites. In the past, the character has been a bit flat and one-dimensional. However, since writer Jeff Lemire teamed up with Valiant to put this new series together, Bloodshot has been a pretty awesome character with quite a bit of depth.

What's great about this particular issue is that it's a jumping-on point since it's the start of a new arc, which will have the series thrust into the future, which has become a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and who doesn't love a good dystopian future story, especially when Lemire and LeRosa are involved?

Ghostbusters International #1

No Caption Provided

Publisher: IDW

Written by Erik Burnham

Art by Dan Schoening

If you are a Ghostbusters fan and haven't read anything from Dan Schoening and Erik Burnham, you're completely missing out on a comic that actually adds to the overall franchise and doesn't feel like a cash grab. What's great about the Ghostbusters books is that each volume is stand-alone, and you don't necessarily have to read previous ones to really get a feel for what's going on.

In this newest volume, as the title of the comic suggests, the team of Ghostbusters is going to different countries in order to stop ghosts from causing mischief. Considering how much history Europe has, this is probably going to be one entertaining read.

Ringside #3

No Caption Provided

Written by Joe Keatinge

Art by Nick Barber

Ringside is a book about professional wrestling that's not just guys powerbombing each other into the Spanish announcer's table. Writer Joe Keatinge really gets into what it's like to be a wrestler, outside of the world of crowds, large personas, and kayfabe.

The first couple of issues dealt with the emotional journey of the characters within this world, all while giving a "how the sausage was made" look into one the most misunderstood forms of entertainment. Nick Barber's art gives this book a brighter feel, without coming off like a cartoon, which is a nice juxtaposition from the relatively depressing tone the first two issues had.

That's our list for this week. Let us know what's on your list.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

Is Art Ops any good? I really like the concept though.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Bloodshot Reborn is my essential for the week. Lemire and company have done a great job with the character and the first story was fantastic. Now I'm interested in seeing the story he has planned with the Analog Man and now that Bloodshot has all his power back.

Also looking forward to Southern Bastards, but I might hold off on it until I have a chance to re-read the story as it seems like it has been a long time since I read the previous issues.

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Oh god I'm throbbing for more Deadly Class, especially since they are on Battle Royale territory.

OptimucCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Southern Bastards

Saga

Deadly Class

Klaus

TMNT

Ringside

Twilight Children

I've really enjoyed the art for Twilight Children but the story hasn't hooked me. It feels a little messy, like a bunch of events happening at random that are loosely tied together.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good week for me.

Superman #48

Grayson #16

JLA #7

Deathstroke #14

Omega Men #8

Batman and Robin #17

Superman: Lois and Clark #4

hiimsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monstress #3

Black Magick #4

Art Ops #4

Maybe Old Man Logan

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I thought that this month 2 issues of Justice League were coming out? Is issue 48 not coming out this month too?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Superman: Lois & Clark #4

Saga #33

MonThackma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MonThackma

Oh, Rick Remender how I love Deadly Class. More. Now.

I'm diggin that cover art for Ghostbusters International. What's the inside look like? I find nothing on internets.

ComicsRHealthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ComicsRHealthy

Deadly class is like no other comic. If you haven't read it, I highly encourage you to do so. I hope the creative team are able to continue their entertaining run in the years to come.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To correct an error here, Old Man Logan didnt kill all of the heroes of Marvel while brainwashed, it was only the x-men who he killed.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Man Logan for me. Hoping for this team's magic to flow through this book like they did with Green Arrow.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how we got from the end of Grayson #14 to the Robin War crossover, including Grayson #15. The only theory I can come up with is that #16 will pick up where #14 left off and the story will build its way up to the events of Robin War and then jump to after it.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I thought that this month 2 issues of Justice League were coming out? Is issue 48 not coming out this month too?

According to Dc's website Justice League 48 isn't coming out until Feb. 24. Which sucks!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By mak13131313

1. Batman and Robin Eternal #17

2. Grayson #16

3. Deathstroke #14

4. Cyborg #7

5. The Omega Men #8

6. Aquaman #48

Honorable mentions, Justice League of America #7, Superman Lois and Clark #4, Teen Titans #16 and We Are Robin #8

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like about half of my monthly pull ships this week, aynway, My Pull this week......

• Beauty #6

• Black Magick #4

• Chew #54

• Cry Havoc #1

• Deadly Class #18

• East Of West #24

• Hellboy Winter Special 2016 #1

• Island #6

• Jupiter's Circle Volume 2 #3

• Negative Space #3

• ODY-C #9

• Ringside #3

• Saga #33

• Southern Bastards #13

• Spire #6

• Twilight Children #4

• League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Kevin O'Neill Gallery Edition HC

• Mind MGMT Volume 6 The Immortals HC

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@mak13131313: He 3 days after my birthday! Yeah it does kinda suck.

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fables87 said:

I've found Art Ops to be really entertaining and interesting. It's worth a read.

Avatar image for deactivated-6078d92bc3efb
deactivated-6078d92bc3efb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bloodshot Reborn new arc!

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best week of the month!

Black Canary 7, Cyborg 7, Grayson 16, Omega Men 8, All New Inhumans 3, Daredevil 3.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By DonFelipe

@beaubier said:
@fables87 said:

I've found Art Ops to be really entertaining and interesting. It's worth a read.

It's interesting and worth reading when you dig Michael Allred's art. I wouldn't be enjoying the series all that much without Allred's flashy pop art style.

The art is stronger than the story here!

There are two major flaws or cons...

One, the story is over-the-top supernatural and weird, and you won't get many answers at first. The premise is good but one of the main guys (The Body) really needed a better background story - it's irritating. Second, two of the three main characters (Reggie and The Body again, I don't like that guy!) are constantly whining about their situations which is totally unnecessary. The whining sucks!

Mona Lisa's very cute though!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saga & Bloodshot Reborn are my essentials this week.... I LOVE VALIANT!

And I wish I was still following Deadly Class.

CombatKung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donfelipe said:

@beaubier said:
@fables87 said:

It's interesting and worth reading when you dig Michael Allred's art. I wouldn't be enjoying the series all that much without Allred's flashy pop art style.

One, the story is over-the-top supernatural and weird, and you won't get many answers at first. The premise is good but one of the main guys (The Body) really needed a better background story - it's irritating. Second, two of the three main characters (Reggie and The Body again, I don't like that guy!) are constantly whining about their situations which is totally unnecessary. The whining sucks!

I'm more bugged at the art. Matt Brundage just isn't Mike Allred and you can tell which panel is done by which artist. It makes it a little jarring. Also, the story appears to be interesting, but we really have no idea why it is interesting. Art is alive... somehow. I keep buying the books because they leave just enough for me to like, but I can't say that it is a great series yet.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donfelipe said:

@beaubier said:
@fables87 said:

I'm more bugged at the art. Matt Brundage just isn't Mike Allred and you can tell which panel is done by which artist. It makes it a little jarring. Also, the story appears to be interesting, but we really have no idea why it is interesting. Art is alive... somehow. I keep buying the books because they leave just enough for me to like, but I can't say that it is a great series yet.

After reading issues #3-4 this week I do agree about the art - since Brundage has joined Allred on art duties in issue #2 it feels like Allred's been drawing less and less panels (or faces). It's disappointing. At the same time the story is going everywhere and anywhere at the same time. Shaun Simon doesn't seem to be capable of telling an elaborate and well-paced story based on the high concept that Art Ops is. We don't even see how art comes alive anymore - it's being framed in one panel and then running around in the streets in the very next panel. Nothing really connects. I have no hope for this story anymore. Sorry.