Dragon Ball Z vs. DC Comics (ENTERTAINMENT VALUE)

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PurpleCandy

This is not a Goku vs. Superman thread or something, this thread is to debate the entertainment value. I think it's pointless to go back and forth debating who is stronger. The writer for DBZ can just look up one of Superman's feats and then multiply that by 2 in DBZ. Heck any person can start their own comic line and make their characters stronger than Goku or Superman! But anyway, moving on.

Graphic Novels

I will have to give this one to DC Comics. The comics have been running far longer than DBZ, and thus have thousands of stories and arcs. There's just much more to explore with DC Comics. I myself have read a good number of DC Comics, but haven't ever read an entire story arc, because that's just how long and complex they are.

+1 DC Comics

Animated Films

DC has made some stellar animated films. Some of my favorites are Flashpoint, Batman/Superman Public Enemies. If you ask me, the DC animated are better than the early DBZ films. All the DC Animated films all have a different setting, theme, and genre from each other, while with the DBZ films they all seem the same and villains all have a somewhat similar motive, it's either "Take over the world" or "Kill everyone".

+1 DC Comics

Video Games

As much as I enjoyed Injustice: Gods Among US, I always felt that the platform was just too limited. You can't even really use the characters to their full potential because of how small the platform is, and the action doesn't feel as intense as it does in the DBZ video games, particularly, Raging Blast, Budokai Tenkaichi, and Xenoverse. Can you imagine playing as Superman and fighting Darkseid or Captian Marvel but in a fighting game like Raging Blast? That would be sick! If DC had fighting games like that I would probably give them a point, why? Because all DC characters have a different diverse skillset as opposed to DBZ characters who all are just really fast and can shoot energy blasts. But since they don't, this one goes to DBZ.

+1 DBZ

Live-Action

Well, if you consider Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope a legitimate part of the franchise, I might give this one to DBZ. However, whether or not one considers Light of Hope in this discussion, the series isn't even finished yet and we probably won't have Part 2 for a good while, I am sure it will be amazing once finished. However even if it was finished, we don't know how it would stack against movies like Man of Steel or the upcoming Dawn of Justice film. I can see Light of Hope being on par with Smallville once it's finished. So all we have to go by is Dragon Ball: Evolution, and no words are required for that.

+1 DC Comics

Animated Series

As much as I liked the DCAU, I always felt the stories were too short. In Dragon Ball Z the story arcs are about 100 episodes each, with so many mini-arcs between them, as well as character development. And the fights are long with turning points throughout them. And every time a villain is defeated it's so much more climatic and you just get a sigh of relief once it's over, but I simply never felt that way watching DCAU. I think Young Justice could have fixed this error and been such an epic series if was never cancelled, but it was.

DBZ + 1

So thats 3 Points for DC Comics, 2 Points for DBZ. But that's just my opinion. What are yours?

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't think the DCAU was too short.

Because it goes from BTAS/STAS->JL/JLU->Batman Beyond->LOSH

DBZ the show has gone on for far too long.

But I mostly agree.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 Straight-Fire  Online

I disagree. DC sweeps.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 Straight-Fire  Online
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

LAL @ DBZ holding a candle to shows like Batman: The Animated series, and Static Shock.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Graphic Novels

+1 DC Comics

Agreed.

Animated Films

+1 DC Comics

The closest category IMO. However, I give the nod to DC as well. Most of DBZ's movies were pretty short and were treated as simple side stories. DC on the other hand treats most of their animated movies as feature films, with full plot and character development. Not only that, but the majority of their movies draw inspiration directly from the comics. However, whereas the DBZ movies have improved, the DC movies have been getting worse. I was largely unimpressed by JL: War, Son of Batman, Batman vs. Robin, and Throne of Atlantis, and Bad Blood already has me worried since they have Batwoman using guns. That being said, Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns 1 & 2, Flashpoint Paradox, Assault on Arkham, etc. still make up for the more disappointing recent films. This category can eventually go the other way, but for now, it's still DC.

Video Games

+1 DBZ

Agreed.

Live-Action

+1 DC Comics

Agreed.

Animated Series

DBZ + 1

Agreed.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeaaaaahhhh your about right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've only played one DBZ game, and I wound up breaking the disc in half.

Oops

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman the Killing Joke is coming out this year. The New 52 movie verse is a bad joke.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: DC loves Batman not Superman. Look at the amount of DC movies Batman has lol.

xDOOMGUYx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: I dont think DC likes Batman more than Superman (although I can definitely see why you'd say that). I think Batman has by far the most movies because maybe his stories are just easier to plot/animate.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By micah007123

@never_give_up said:

@micah: DC loves Batman not Superman. Look at the amount of DC movies Batman has lol.

The count for Batman standalone films would be at 9. Now including the ones in which Batman has a major supporting role that number goes up to 12 even higher than that if we count the JL movies lol.

Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TSciallsolle3451

I think DCAU is a better show than DBZ. Story-telling wise that is. Entertainment-wise, your mileage may vary.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC takes all exept video games. dragonball xenoverse specifically.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By jumpstart55

I dont know i get a big kick out of both franchises. But i,m leaning more towards DC because of the sheer diversity and variety in terms of characters and stories, but i absolutely love DBZs silliness and over the top story lines. And i think DBZ defintelly has DC beat in the Video Department for sure.lol

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Omega_kai

Tbh I think DC sweeps because of the variety you can choose from, but than again, most of their animated films are subpar to average as well as most of the DCAU shows did not age well. On top of the only good line up of comic video games is the Arkham series, so yea I give DBZ majority.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't find Dragon Ball all that entertaining. I'd give it the games but that's it.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@never_give_up: yeah, I think we have Christopher Nolan to thank for that. If I'm not mistaken Spiderman may have been the most popular superhero before The Dark Knight came out.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: yeah, I think we have Christopher Nolan to thank for that. If I'm not mistaken Spiderman may have been the most popular superhero before The Dark Knight came out.

You may be right.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh I think DC sweeps because of the variety you can choose from, but than again, most of their animated films are subpar to average as well as most of the DCAU shows did not age well. On top of the only good line up of comic video games is the Arkham series, so yea I give DBZ majority.

Not counting the New 52 films. How are the animated films subpar? Same for how are the DCAU shows subpar?

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both and I`m neutral on the whole thing but DC does have the advantage although that doesn`t take anything away from what Dragon Ball`s accomplished.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Omega_kai

@never_give_up said:
@omega_kai said:

Not counting the New 52 films. How are the animated films subpar? Same for how are the DCAU shows subpar?

The scripts are lacking in real plot, expect in depth prior knowledge of characters, and generally exist only to have certain characters fight others for little to no reason. Now I'm not saying the DBZ movies that have been produced are Gold or something. But I get more enjoyment out of them than I do the DCAU films, mostly due to the fights.

The shows just didn't age well for me expect "Batman The Animated Series" and "The Batman." I haven't watched Teen Titans recently but still I will put it in the same catagory with Batman.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only clear cuts here are the graphic novels, live action and video games. the animated films and the animated series focus on two entirely different targets that it's basically your poison to choose from

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omega_kai: You keep mixing things up. The new animated films aren't DCAU. The Batman wasn't DCAU either I'll comment on the rest when I get the chance. DCAM lack plot I thought I heard it all lol.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Omega_kai

@never_give_up: Well excuse me for having an opinion, you act like everything DC have produced is just pure gold. If you're going getting all mad and fussy about this don't bother replying to me, because I won't respond.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the point where people say how wrong someone else's opinion is. Love this site ^^

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

DC Sweeps

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Well excuse me for having an opinion, you act like everything DC have produced is just pure gold. If you're going getting all mad and fussy about this don't bother replying to me, because I won't respond.

I'm not getting fussy. You're saying something lacks plot. How do the DC Movies lack plot?

What you described about DC perfectly explains DBZ lol. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, you're trying to pass things as fact while saying it's your opinion.

The scripts are lacking in real plot, expect in depth prior knowledge of characters, and generally exist only to have certain characters fight others for little to no reason. Now I'm not saying the DBZ movies that have been produced are Gold or something. But I get more enjoyment out of them than I do the DCAU films, mostly due to the fights.

That perfectly describes DBZ doesn't it?

Batman Return of The Joker is a DCAU film.

The others are DCAOM.

Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Graphic Novels

I will have to give this one to DC Comics. The comics have been running far longer than DBZ, and thus have thousands of stories and arcs. There's just much more to explore with DC Comics. I myself have read a good number of DC Comics, but haven't ever read an entire story arc, because that's just how long and complex they are.

+1 DC Comics

I agree with this, DC has been doing a great job, or at least better than DBZ at the moment.

Animated Films

DC has made some stellar animated films. Some of my favorites are Flashpoint, Batman/Superman Public Enemies. If you ask me, the DC animated are better than the early DBZ films. All the DC Animated films all have a different setting, theme, and genre from each other, while with the DBZ films they all seem the same and villains all have a somewhat similar motive, it's either "Take over the world" or "Kill everyone".

+1 DC Comics

Gonna have to disagree here. DC use to make some good animated movies, but in my opinion, it's gotten bad. And sometimes it's not even the animation, but the plot. Throne to Atlantis is a good example. It had its' good moments, but it wasn't thrilling enough and sorry, it had a casual plot. I'm not saying that ROF or BOG didn't give a casual plot (let's be honest, it did) but it executed better than current DC movies. And let's be honest, the animation in the movie was on point, and imo, better than many, if not most of DC films. So I'm gonna say this is a toss up, but currently DBZ has my vote on this.

Video Games

As much as I enjoyed Injustice: Gods Among US, I always felt that the platform was just too limited. You can't even really use the characters to their full potential because of how small the platform is, and the action doesn't feel as intense as it does in the DBZ video games, particularly, Raging Blast, Budokai Tenkaichi, and Xenoverse. Can you imagine playing as Superman and fighting Darkseid or Captian Marvel but in a fighting game like Raging Blast? That would be sick! If DC had fighting games like that I would probably give them a point, why? Because all DC characters have a different diverse skillset as opposed to DBZ characters who all are just really fast and can shoot energy blasts. But since they don't, this one goes to DBZ.

+1 DBZ

I agree, but I've watched people play Xenoverse and it isn't that fun like other DBZ games. But just to say, the Batman games are great as well.

Live-Action

Well, if you consider Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope a legitimate part of the franchise, I might give this one to DBZ. However, whether or not one considers Light of Hope in this discussion, the series isn't even finished yet and we probably won't have Part 2 for a good while, I am sure it will be amazing once finished. However even if it was finished, we don't know how it would stack against movies like Man of Steel or the upcoming Dawn of Justice film. I can see Light of Hope being on par with Smallvilleonce it's finished. So all we have to go by is Dragon Ball: Evolution, and no words are required for that.

+1 DC Comics

Agreed. Hopefully someone does something about this.

Animated Series

As much as I liked the DCAU, I always felt the stories were too short. In Dragon Ball Z the story arcs are about 100 episodes each, with so many mini-arcs between them, as well as character development. And the fights are long with turning points throughout them. And every time a villain is defeated it's so much more climatic and you just get a sigh of relief once it's over, but I simply never felt that way watching DCAU. I think Young Justice could have fixed this error and been such an epic series if was never cancelled, but it was.

DBZ + 1

I agree. Although DBS isn't on par right now, DBZ is where it's at. Good plots, good development, good animation, and good characters. I never really watched JLU that much, but I can say it was fairly entertaining. It was cool seeing a new problem come up for individual characters instead of a long arc, but DBZ is the best anime

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By silent_bomber

DC is a company, whilst Dragon Ball Z is the end of one series so I don't know why you are comparing the two.

"Superman (or Green Lantern) Vs Dragon Ball - Entertainment Value" would be like for like, or "DC Vs Shueisha".

This thread is akin to writing "Batman vs Marvel Comics - entertainment value"

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can people please stop saying DC Comics.

DenzelMoton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC Sweeps

ashildr000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything DBZ is more fun to watch/read than anything DC nowadays.

Rustle freely, but it's the truth.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sooperfly

the DBU has become this long over run tired story of the same stuff man.

-Bad guy comes -> nobody is strong enough to take him on

-DB family train and reach new form -> now they are strong enough

-filler -> everyone fights

-Goku's family kills the bad guy

did i forget something?

Plus in the grand scheme of things DC is much more powerful in a variety of ways compared to DBU