DOES THE WORLD NEED ANOTHER GRAPHIC NOVEL?

EJJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By EJJackson
No Caption Provided

I don't know... But I do know that my short story, 'Minding Mama', seemed to be crying out for a more visual representation, and once the idea had popped into my head, it kind of took hold...

I write sci-fi - short stories and novels. My favourite themes are genetics, time-travel, and the future of planet Earth. I like to both read and write stories with a twist, and I don't mind admitting to the hope that one day, one of my stories might make it to TV or cinema screens.

But I don't tend to think in terms of 'would this make good television/a great film?' when I'm writing. How my stories often start is that I'll see something online or on the news that gets me thinking. I normally like to have a title before I start, because I find that the title 'informs' the story, and helps to keep me on track. Sometimes, I'll change the title - for instance, if the story I thought I was going to write morphs into something else ... This happened with 'The Methuselah Paradox' - which started life as a short story titled 'The Journey', then became a full-length novel titled 'All Our Tomorrows', and then 'The Methuselah Gene' before I finally decided that it had to be a paradox!

My latest project, 'Minding Mama', is about two characters, Mama and Cyril (and Mama's infant son, Bully), who live several hundred years from now. Earth is in dire straits following decades of intense solar flare activity, and now has a severely damaged ozone layer. What remains of the human race has taken to living underground, and is almost entirely reliant on FarmBots for food. But the FarmBots are old, and self-repair can only go so far... the colony which houses Mama, her infant son bully, and Cyril is in decline, and Mama decides to do something about it.

Mama is convinced, against all the evidence, that other human outposts must have survived what is commonly known as 'the burn off'. Leaving the only home she has ever known behind, Mama, Bully and Cyril set out to find other colonies. What is the secret that Mama is hiding from Cyril? Can they find a way to save their colony, or will they perish in Earth's desert-like climate?

The plan is to crowd-fund the first issue - and hopefully produce two more. Concept art by Amanda Fullwood (see image above) and illustrated by Dan Schaefer (currently storyboard artist for NBC's 'Grimm') 'Minding Mama' will be crowdfunding very soon. Rewards will include signed artwork by Dan Schaefer.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Good luck!

EJJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks so much, really appreciate the good wishes! :-)

Tacosheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds interesting for sure.

EJJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you, Tacosheep, I'm really glad you think so!

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4