Does every Marvel reader still keep DC/Batman (on the side)?

• 57 results
Welkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel like the only person who grew up reading Marvel but didn't read Batman in my spare time, like others. Literally everyone I know (that mainly read Marvel) still has Batman on their reading list, and it's frustrating. I do remember when I was younger asking my dad if I could read some JLA, but he refused. Oh well. I'm mainly wondering since like I said, a lot of Marvel readers and purists do seem to read Batman when they can. Me, however have never touched a DC comic - Batman or not, in my life and stuck with it. Anyone the same? Heck, vice-versa for DC readers (with a Marvel character)? Or does everyone do this?

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I have roughly the same number of DC titles on my subscription as I do Marvel.

How can anyone exclude Superman? for that matter, how could a DC fan simply exclude Spiderman just because he was made by a different company? Not reading other companies material is just cutting your nose off to spite your face, you miss out on a lot of good stuff.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welkin said:

I feel like the only person who grew up reading Marvel but didn't read Batman in my spare time, like others. Literally everyone I know (that mainly read Marvel) still has Batman on their reading list, and it's frustrating. I do remember when I was younger asking my dad if I could read some JLA, but he refused. Oh well. I'm mainly wondering since like I said, a lot of Marvel readers and purists do seem to read Batman when they can. Me, however have never touched a DC comic - Batman or not, in my life and stuck with it. Anyone the same? Heck, vice-versa for DC readers (with a Marvel character)? Or does everyone do this?

lol Why?

Welkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Welkin

@g_leno said:

Nope, I have roughly the same number of DC titles on my subscription as I do Marvel.

How can anyone exclude Superman? for that matter, how could a DC fan simply exclude Spiderman just because he was made by a different company? Not reading other companies material is just cutting your nose off to spite your face, you miss out on a lot of good stuff.

Like I said, my dad cut me off from DC titles. Funnily enough, he grew up with GL and Superman.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@welkin: Everyone should be reading Batman (Scott Snyder is amazing).

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

No, that would be silly.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Company loyalty until I die!

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of all the characters in the DC Universe, Batman feels the most like a Marvel character.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Yep, only Batman counts in fact, he's the only character that matters, forget marvel......

sarcasm

Welkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Company loyalty until I die!

... You're-- you're--

You're like... Like... Me?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do personally. But literally every Marvel reader? Of course not.

I don't see why this should be frustrating to you either. Is it wrong to enjoy characters from more than one company?

Welkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shenkuei said:

I do personally. But literally every Marvel reader? Of course not.

I don't see why this should be frustrating to you either. Is it wrong to enjoy characters from more than one company?

I mean't frustrating for ME and my preferred state.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, only Batman counts in fact, he's the only character that matters, forget marvel......

sarcasm

No Caption Provided

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lateralus
No Caption Provided

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

Personally, I like to read comic books from every company, as long as the stories are good. Even though I pick up more Marvel titles than I do with DC, I still read a lot of Batman comics even though I'm a huge X-Men fan, because I love Batman as much as I love X-Men.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Strider1992

I normally go through phases but for the past year I haven't really touched DC as all the titles I was interested in got cancelled so Image and Marvel are getting nearly all my money atm.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read Marvel, only DC.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@g_leno said:

PREACH.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

No I am very much against reading Batman. I am not against others reading Batman but I don't read Batman stuff, usually. I have read some stuff because my brother loves the guy but I find most of his stories failing to reach the hype.

I'm only a hardcore Marvel fan because they have most of the characters I am interested in. I follow characters more than I follow companies. However, I do find it odd that your dad was against you reading some JLA. (+)

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lifelong Marvel guy here. I don't read Batman at all ( although I did like the Hush story arc and Millers TDK) I'm not a fan. The funny thing is I like Nightwing, loved Cassandra Cain and I even gave Batwing a shot.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Everyone follows Batman. The ones who say no are lying to save face.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Everyone who says he doesn't follow Batman is lying.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: You may not believe it, but there are some people (myself included) who don't worship Batman.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: I'm thinking of picking up Thor GoT. Can you recommend any books?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RustyRoy

@tdk_1997: You may not believe it, but there are some people (myself included) who don't worship Batman.

I'm sure he meant it as a joke.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By judasnixon
No Caption Provided

@tdk_1997: @saren: Batman is a big fat dumb nerd. I'm pretty sure he smells his own farts, and drinks ditch water...... I herd Batman like to look at people's feet online. What a weird-o.....

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@g_leno said:

I agree, just not on the character selections

(lets keep this recent New 52 and Marvel Now seem more pertinent) for Superman I did the grant Morrison run of Action Comics, and dropped it for Diggle (wasn't he fired because it sucked so bad) picked it up again for Greg Pak, but that's IT!. (a few select pre52 supes, but large gaps of NOPE) Spiderman, I read the Superior Spidey. that's it, nothing else. at all. I guess Deadpool is my Spiderman, so far never with out a deadpool....but that could change if the comic starts getting real bad.

HOWEVER never go with out a couple batman titles and a few spinoffs, at least one GL or spinoff, everything else DC, just depends on how good it is. for Marvel I have a hard time with X-men...theres always one good one out there, but everytime a good title switches writers, it inevitably ALWAYS turns out to be a horrible title, and I have to hunt for which one is the good title.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Everybody had at least read One Batman comic in their lives just to learn about the character. So yes, they still do and had before.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Catsnlynne

@rustyroy:

If it was a joke, then I didn't get it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Oh, Thor: God of Thunder has been superb. You'll love it. I'd also recommend Daredevil, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Savage Wolverine, and Hawkeye.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rustyroy said:

Oh, Thor: God of Thunder has been superb. You'll love it. I'd also recommend Daredevil, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Savage Wolverine, and Hawkeye.

You forgot to mention Deadpool and Superior Foes, Marvels 2 best books to date!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kidchipotle

Well, being that as of this week I dropped all of my DC titles, I now only read Marvel, Valiant, and Image.

No Caption Provided

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@rustyroy said:

You forgot to mention Deadpool and Superior Foes, Marvels 2 best books to date!

No Caption Provided

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate that people act like people are weird for liking both Marvel and DC. I have no problem grabbing Batman and Spider-Man at the same time at the comic book store but every time some punk kid acts like I'm somehow less of a fan because I don't hate the other guys.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By longbowhunter

I hate that people act like people are weird for liking both Marvel and DC. I have no problem grabbing Batman and Spider-Man at the same time at the comic book store but every time some punk kid acts like I'm somehow less of a fan because I don't hate the other guys.

I call that the pick-a-team mentality. I dont get it either. A lot of people feel better when the ally themselves with one side. Coke or Pepsi, Fox News or CNN, Mets or Yankees. Its like its bred into some people's DNA. Its "Look how much I love option A. You can tell because I haaaate option B. That makes me the superior fan...right?" Nope, it just means you're missing out on everything else. Go ahead and keep eating apple pie. I'm trying everything else on the buffet.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: I've been guilty of that mentality myself on occasion but some people seem to live their life by it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@joshmightbe: I think I was probably that way more in my youth. The older I get the more I fall into a gray area with most things. As far as comics go I tend to follow good stories and creative talent. I'm a huge DC fan. But have fewer DC titles on my pull than anything else at the moment. I refuse to blindly follow any company if they aren't producing stuff I wanna read.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not everyone

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TimeLordScience

@rustyroy: what books are you currently reading from DC?

t_hench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@project_worm: I second that.

I get involved in fanboy wars between the 2 giants, but at the end of the day its all just for the fun of trash talking with friends and fellow readers. I'll read any publishers material, there's too much great work out there not to branch out. Limiting yourself to one comic and pronouncing your devout abstinence from all others is juvenile.

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welkin: No offense, but your dad sounds like a super asshole. Seriously. Limiting your opportunities because of his own bias, that's just eff'ed.

Anyway, I'm personally a fan of many more DC characters, so at this point it'd be more out of character for me to be following any Marvel character closely. But really, good writing is good writing, so it's the biggest determining factor beyond that.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These days, I only read Batman for the villains and other side characters. Heck, I even find Commissioner Gordon more interesting.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Project_Worm
@t_hench said:

@project_worm: I second that.

I get involved in fanboy wars between the 2 giants, but at the end of the day its all just for the fun of trash talking with friends and fellow readers. I'll read any publishers material, there's too much great work out there not to branch out. Limiting yourself to one comic and pronouncing your devout abstinence from all others is juvenile.

Oh man, heheh. I'm not normally as hostile as I was about to get. But for whatever reason I missed the first line when you stated that you agreed with me... I was seconds away from posting "What the HELL are you talking about?!"

Anyways, are you reading any Valiant? You definitely should...