Do you like reading books/novels (apart from graphic novels)?

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you like reading books/novels (apart from graphic novels)? (55 votes)

Yes, are you kidding me?! I love reading books/novels! 38%
Yes, I like reading books/novels. 24%
It's okay, if there's a good book that catches my eye, then maybe I'll read it. 27%
No I dislike it, it's boring. 13%
I hate reading novels. 4%

I'm just curious, I can't handle reading novels most of the time, I see them as a large piece of text rather than "something that takes you to another world", I can't get engrossed into most of them. (There are some exceptions.) I only like to read manga, graphic novels and stuff that are interesting to read.

Zijuun.

• 
Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One vote only please! I messed up on the poll! Xc!

Zijuun.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read novels more than comics

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yea but I feel that I read least then what I should.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I always get halfway through a novel and lose interest. Comics and Graphic novels are just short enough for me to enjoy and finish.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zijuun

@dondave said:

Wow Don, one of the top posters on Comicvine, it surprises me you read novels more than comics. XD

@i_like_swords said:

I always get halfway through a novel and lose interest. Comics and Graphic novels are just short enough for me to enjoy and finish.

Me too, same and exact! And the most unrealistic things happens in novels which pinches me. It's like "you're doing this because...?"

Zijuun.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love reading but it's not often that I find a novel that really catches my eye...the only books you really hear about in the media are for preteen females so it gets hard to find them...that and all the book stores in my area have closed except for one an hour away....so yeah the last thing I read was the first 3 Game of Thrones books...got a quarter of the way through the horribly boring fourth book before I lost complete interest in it and left it setting on the bathroom bookshelf for the past year

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zijuun

Bump~! Simply voting will do!

Zijuun.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

Below is a list of books which I’ve both read and enjoyed, which I would give recommendation to others to read also. It is by no means comprehensive, and is probably biased to what is currently occupying space on my bookshelf, and therefore is at the forefront of my mind. Some of these are great works deserving of a place in the Western Canon, others simply fun reads on topics of private interest; I’ve made no attempt to distinguish between these two categories, though in most cases it will be obvious enough. For easy organization it is divided according to authors, the names of which are listed alphabetically.

Bulfinch

• Bulfinch’s Mythology

C.S. Lewis

• Mere Christianity
  • Miracles
  • Surprised by Joy
  • The Four Loves
  • The Problem of Pain
  • A Preface to Paradise Lost
  • The Discarded Image
  • Till We Have Faces
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Space trilogy
  • The Pilgrim’s Regress
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • The Great Divorce
  • Letters to Malcolm

Dante Alighieri

• The Divine Comedy

Frank Herbert

• Dune

George Macdonald

• Phantastes
  • Lilith

Grant Morrison

• Supergods

H. Richard Niebuhr

• Christ and Culture

Isaac Asimov

• The Last Question

Jim Holt

• Why Does the World Exist?

John Keats

• The six odes
  • Hyperion

John Milton

• Paradise Lost
  • Paradise Regained

J.R.R. Tolkien

• Leaf by Niggle
  • On Fairy-Stories
  • Lord of the Rings
  • The Hobbit
  • The Silmarillion

Leonard Susskind

• The Black Hole War

Madeline L’Engle

• A Wrinkle in Time
  • A Wind in the Door
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet
  • Many Waters

Mark Noll

• Turning Points

Mark Twain

• The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Michael Ward

• Planet Narnia

Paul L. Maier

• A Skeleton in God’s Closet
  • More than a Skeleton
  • The Constantine Codex

Percy Bryce Shelley

• Adonaïs

Steven Hawking

• A Brief History of Time
  • The Universe in a Nutshell
  • The Theory of Everything

Vladimir Nabokov

• Lolita

Walter Isaacson

• Steve Jobs

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say I read more graphic novels than text only books but mostly due to time constraints. Graphic novels I see as almost an entirely different pastime as opposed to text only.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Every once in a while if it's one that really catches my eye.

I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles series'.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I read novels just as much as I do comics. I have a friend who only reads comics because he finds he can't get into books, so I definitely see where some might be coming from. But personally, I enjoy what those two mediums have to offer.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me too~! It's hard to find books that good these days sadly. :/

@veshark said:

Sure, I read novels just as much as I do comics. I have a friend who only reads comics because he finds he can't get into books, so I definitely see where some might be coming from. But personally, I enjoy what those two mediums have to offer.

I'm like your friend, I just can't get into books.

Zijuun.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would read more books and novels if I knew where to find some good ones. I wouldn't know exactly any good ones that would catch my eye. But no, The New York Times is too busy gushing over the new 50 Shades of Grey book. (God, I hate that book series.)

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I love reading all sorts of novels from military pieces to philosophy to fantasy and science fiction. My favorite author is R.A. Salvatore and his Drizzt series of novels.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's a tough question. It takes me A LONG time to finish a novel because my attention span is pretty short and sitting down reading for prolonged periods of time bore me. Also, I despise any novel that is written in "old English" so many of the so called "classics" I don't like. Mainly television and movies dictate what I read, if I see a show (such as Dexter, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Vampire Diaries etc) and find out it's based on a novel series, I will read the series to compare. Also, I'm a sucker for vampires and I'm currently reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

As a child, I enjoyed Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and the Goosebumps books by R.L Stine.

Also, I wanna throw it out there, "Grace'' By Richard Paul Evans is a fabulous book and to this day is the ONLY book to make me cry.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love reading novels as much as comics .

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17 JediXMan  Moderator

Love reading books. My favorite novel is still the Hunchback of Notre Dame - or, as I prefer, the more accurate title: Notre Dame de Paris (its English title is quite inaccurate).

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dondave

Is it as good as the Percy Jackson series?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

Me too!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Edgar rice Burroughs books I recommend The Mucker series oh and Lovecraft or early Anne Rice stuff.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would read more books and novels if I knew where to find some good ones. I wouldn't know exactly any good ones that would catch my eye. But no, The New York Times is too busy gushing over the new 50 Shades of Grey book. (God, I hate that book series.)

Haha exactly!

@dondave said:

@battle_forum_junkie said:

Is it as good as the Percy Jackson series?

Almost~! Trust me if you enjoyes the Percy Jackson series, you will love the Kane Chronicles~! It's egyption Gods instead of greek Gods.

It's a tough question. It takes me A LONG time to finish a novel because my attention span is pretty short and sitting down reading for prolonged periods of time bore me. Also, I despise any novel that is written in "old English" so many of the so called "classics" I don't like.

Me too~! I read a Hercule Poirot british book, my dad loved the old writing, I hated it. >.>

Zijuun

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By 2chimcha3

Yes, I read novels outside of comics when I have the time. When I'm in school, I won't read many novels on my own though. I'm currently reading Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's okay, if there's a good book that catches my eye, then maybe I'll read it.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely!! I'm currently reading Asimov. The man was a genius.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, I read a lot. I've probably read hundreds of novels. I mostly go for fantasy, the Discworld series, the First Law trilogy, the Kingkiller Cronicles, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc.

Yes, I read novels outside of comics when I have the time. When I'm in school, I won't read many novels on my own though. I'm currently reading Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks.

I'm just finishing up the last book in that trilogy. If you liked that, his new Lightbringer series is pretty good too.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

Zijuun.

I think you're better than my friend though, he's only read like two Warcraft novels his entire life ;)

You can try researching for recommends for the types of books you might enjoy. If you've read Percy Jackson and liked it, I might recommend the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Smart and action-packed.

Avatar image for nightcrawler358
NightCrawler358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always enjoy a good novel, pretty much anything fiction. Big Tolkien fan, but besides that there are few Fantasy series I enjoy--I find most of them to be too similar to Middle-Earth, as if "Fantasy" binds the author to swords, sorcery, elves, dwarves, all that same-same jazz.

Big Sci-Fi fan, Asimov kinda stuff. Short sci-fi stories are probably my favourite.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AweSam

@lykopis: Comics are usually a pastime at home. Easier to get through, shorter, etc. Great break. Novels are best for reading when you're out.

I personally read just as many novels as I do comics/graphic novels. I prefer non-fiction or historical fiction (favorite writer is Albert Camus). I want to read more... fictatious fiction, but I can't find anything good.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

Zijuun.

I think you're better than my friend though, he's only read like two Warcraft novels his entire life ;)

You can try researching for recommends for the types of books you might enjoy. If you've read Percy Jackson and liked it, I might recommend the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Smart and action-packed.

That series is amazing

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@veshark said:

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

Zijuun.

That series is amazing

I liked it up to the Atlantis Complex book....damn quality really dropped off at that point.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rdclip said:

yeah, I read a lot. I've probably read hundreds of novels. I mostly go for fantasy, the Discworld series, the First Law trilogy, the Kingkiller Cronicles, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc.

@sagejonathan said:

I'm just finishing up the last book in that trilogy. If you liked that, his new Lightbringer series is pretty good too.

I'll write that down. Thanks for sharing; I'll definitely read it at some point.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I probably read just as much from a novel perspective as I do with comics. The Otherland series by Tad Williams is one of my favorites along with Ayn Rand, and Bourrough's Tarzan and John Carter books. I have started to drift more towards reading comics as opposed to novels because most of the books I read now are non fiction. It's easier to read an issue of a comic once a month while reading a pretty dense Econ/Political book as opposed to trying to read some Cormac McCarthy at the same time.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zijuun

@veshark said:

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

Zijuun.

:o, wow, only two books, I see. I've already tried reading Artemis Fowl, though I read it like a quarter way through and I didn't like it. Half Moon Investigations was good though, then it got a too cheesy as it progressed... So I stopped. XD.

Zijuun.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Veshark

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

Zijuun.

:o, wow, only two books, I see. I've already tried reading Artemis Fowl, though I read it like a quarter way through and I didn't like it. Half Moon Investigations was good though, then it got a too cheesy as it progressed... So I stopped. XD.

Zijuun.

Oh, you didn't like it? I don't know, maybe you could give it another shot some time. I actually thought Half Moon was kinda crappy, honestly anything Colfer writes that isn't Artemis Fowl is kinda bad xD

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zijuun

@veshark said:

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

@zijuun said:

@veshark said:

Zijuun.

Zijuun.

Oh, you didn't like it? I don't know, maybe you could give it another shot some time. I actually thought Half Moon was kinda crappy, honestly anything Colfer writes that isn't Artemis Fowl is kinda bad xD

Alright, yeah maybe I'll do that and not stop quarter way, haha :D. Really o.o? Half Moon pulls off some good deductive reasoning, but I can see where you're coming from. He starts to look for foot prints and that's where it started to get too cliche..

But I'll have to admit, I probably haven't found the right book for me, that's probably why I find a lot of books/novels boring.

Zijuun.