Did Batman v Superman do really bad or did Suicide Squad do really good?

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DevilFruit
No Caption Provided

It just doesn't seem right BvS only grossing 150mil more than SS. WTH?! That would be like if Avengers instead of grossing 1.5bil grossed 920mil to GotG's 770mil. Or on the flip side GotG grossing 1.4bil to Avengers 1.5bil. Either way wouldn't it seem wrong for GotG to be within only 150mil from the Avengers? So what's up with BvS and SS? It's just wrong those movies are that close. I mean if SS had been released in China it would have gotten close or maybe even beat BvS. Think about that for a second.

Both had virtually the same low ratings so word of mouth couldn't have been a factor. If I had to guess this proves once again that DC is only about Batman and his universe. People saw Batman, Joker and Harley in those trailers which caused them to pictured SS as a Batman movie. That combined with the hate BvS got dropped its gross enough to come close to SS. But unexpected either way.

BvS: $873,260,194
SS: $721,023,343

So what's your take on this? what happened?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Dude, seriously, go away.

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, seriously, go away.

whoooo, chief. why the hate? This is a legit question/topic of discussion. What's your take on this?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

@devilfruit: No, this is your not so subtle way to hate on the DCEU again.

For someone who dislikes it so much, you sure make a ton of threads about it. Move on, it's getting old.

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

seriously, bruh. Are you not surprised by this out come?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By jumpstart55
  • Yea a bit of both actually...Suicide Squad just did dynamite at the Box office and greatly exceed expectations.
  • And BVS should have put up way better numbers..And should have without doubt crossed the 1 billie mark.
  • But becuase of the films so so quality it struggled to even reach 900 mil..Which isn't bad, but when your film features arguably two of the most iconic Superheroes of all time 1 billion should have been guaranteed.
  • So yea i agree Suicide Squad coming within 150 mil of Batman vs Superman doesn't seem right..
jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: being an icon doesn't mean that much in box office anymore

Well Yes and no..I mean think about this for a second, the movie(BVS) was subpar and destroyed by critics yet it still made 873 million..If BVS was an actual crowd pleaser it could have done Avengers numbers.

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness said:

@jumpstart55: being an icon doesn't mean that much in box office anymore

Well Yes and no..I mean think about this for a second, the movie(BVS) was subpar and destroyed by critics yet it still made 873 million..If BVS was an actual crowd pleaser it could have done Avengers numbers.

good point.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Asgaard

B v S actually had competition and was released before the summer season where movies make less money daily, besides having good appeal range (Will Smith, Joker, Harley) SS replicated elements from GotG (that was a big hit) on top of that basically every (non animation) summer blockbuster underperform putting SS as the last summer season big movie with audiences not "saturated" at all from going to cinema... August is a tricky month in the movie business, it can be seen by audiences as the month where all the big movies/event already happened... Or it can be a free pass like what happened this year with SS...

Even if SS (B+) reception from audiences (cinema Score) was a little better than B v S (B), the release date was one really big advantage in SS favor...

Still is that preferences insecurity thing... But the question/thread has some debate validity...

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jumpstart55

@ready_4_madness said:

@jumpstart55: not that many people are actually aware of what critics are saying.

• The critical reviews certainly played a part in its gross..As the film only 330 million in domestic which is impressive as its 46th all time highest domestic gross total..But i guarantee if the critics were saying BVS was a masterpiece or one of the best movies of the year and giving it raved reviews, BVS could have broken all kind of records and possibly made 600 hundred million dollars domestic...A vast majority of the top 100 highest domestic grossing movies have gotten good reviews...
  • The reason why i really say critical reviews played apart, is becuase since many people have very busy and consuming lives , instead of wasting money to see a bad movie they just look up what critics are saying and skip it if most reviews are leaning towards it sucked...I,m not saying everybody does this, but a shocking number of people used that method..And then you got people who came back from the movie and tell their friends or family their better off skipping the film becuase it wasn't that good..That domino effect is what single handily destroyed Hulk 2003s box office.
  • And i,m not making excuses for BVS becuase like i said if the film was of better quality and at the very least an actual crowd pleaser it could have made way more money.
Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55:

• The critical reviews certainly played a part in its gross..As the film only 330 million in domestic which is impressive as its 46th all time highest domestic gross total..But i guarantee if the critics were saying BVS was a masterpiece or one of the best movies of the year and giving it raved reviews, BVS could have broken all kind of records and possibly made 600 hundred million dollars domestic...A vast majority of the top 100 highest domestic grossing movies have gotten good reviews...

Is there data that proves you can do $600M domestically with a March release date? Out of the summer season where movies daily (not weekends) struggle to make the money that they can easily do in the summer season?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jumpstart55

@asgaard said:

@jumpstart55:

Is there data that proves you can do $600M domestically with a March release date? Out of the summer season where movies daily (not weekends) struggle to make the money that they can easily do in the summer season?

• Excellent point..But if any movie had the chance of doing so in March it was a Batman vs Superman movie.
  • And i,m not even sure even if BVS was released in the summer it would have done that much better to be perfectly honest
  • ..Jurassic World and Marvels Avengers were just at the right place and right time when they made 600 million domestically...And also neither film had very much competition especially Jurassic World.
jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: it played apart of course but not that much. Other things were involved like word of mouth, the lack of interest from younger kids, some people said their kids were scared of it.

The audience like what they like JL is affected because some people lost interest after BvS, being icons doesn't negate that.

• Yea your probably right.
  • And i hope people don't skip out on Justice League just becuase they didn't like BVS..
  • But your right bad movies often do leave a bad taste in people mouths, and does often negatively impact sequels.
Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

SoggyPubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should stick to threads about how great the MCU is, and bladewolf should do the same with the DCEU, it's annoying seeing new hate threads every week, just be positive man

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Insert this is bait gif*

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Asgaard

@jumpstart55 said:
@asgaard said:

@jumpstart55:

• Excellent point..But if any movie had the chance of doing so in March it was a Batman vs Superman movie.
  • And i,m not even sure even if BVS was released in the summer it would have done that much better to be perfectly honest
  • ..Jurassic World and Marvels Avengers were just at the right place and right time when they made 600 million domestically...And also neither film had very much competition especially Jurassic World.

Basically i agree with what you said, i would just like to add that there is a big difference between theoretical (potential) appeal and already confirmed appeal... I mean we can speculate about how much more movies would have done with other reception, but the discussion will always stay in the theoretical field... Sometimes (new) factors like the shared universe concept that boosted the Avengers to $1.5B can have a lot more weight than brand/popularity... Then there is evolution in how audiences perceive brands, and Marvel Studios impact in the genre (even in the movies medium) was huge, honestly i never believed that B v S or Cap CW could do Avengers numbers, they just didn't have the "stars alignment" for that (really hard to achieve) numbers...

@soggypubes said:

You should stick to threads about how great the MCU is, and bladewolf should do the same with the DCEU, it's annoying seeing new hate threads every week, just be positive man

At least make threads beyond just what they like and consequently (by default) dislike... But will not happen because even other users (that try not to look so biased) also only condemn the threads according to their preferences... Yet this only makes the site look... Childish...

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Asgaard:

"But will not happen because even other users (that try not to look so biased) also only condemn the threads according to their preferences"

Nailed it.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember reading a few threads but before BvS came out. Most of the people were not expecting it to go over 1B dollars in profit. There reasoning was that the DC movie universe was not that well known. Also if people remember, superman returns and other batman movies did not make that much, so not just having the two most iconic characters will make a billion dollar profit.