Dc Comic boosting Characters?

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evilvegeta74

Do you feel Dc comics are trying to boost their characters power levels and or other abilities, in an attempt to try and make Marvel characters look weak? I mean we have the Superman bench press thing for all purposes intended, Batman can defeat anyone given enough prep time,Wonder Woman trashing Superman from time to time, Aquaman thrashing the league, oh and the Martian Manhunter theories of him an equal to Superman and telepathy beyond anyone at Marvel including Xavier. I'm just wondering is anybody sold on this. I know Marvel will not have Thor ,Hulk, Sentry, Gladiator, Hercules, and all Hyperions , etc..., go out and do a bench press test to prove anything. Marvel is not into that, and the only time I saw anything close to a measurement in weight being held, was in Secret Wars with the Hulk. I don't think marvel is trying to prove anything in that aspect. Let me know what you think.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

No.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By evilvegeta74

@SmashBrawler said:

No.

You're a Dc fan I see!

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, Pre52 Batman, Nighwing, Zatanna, John Constantine, Harley Quinn and Tim drake are stronger than their New-52 Versions.....

The only "boost" that I could find on my pull list is Black Canary's Canary Cry..and...that's it, glad I don't read JLA then...

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By evilvegeta74

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Well, Pre52 Batman, Nighwing, Zatanna, John Constantine, Harley Quinn and Tim drake are stronger than their New-52 Versions.....

The only boost that I could find on my pull list is Black Canary's Canary Cry..and...that's it, glad I don't read JLA then...

Wow, you don't, what about JL?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

No.

You're a Dc fan I see!

So, if I had said yes I would be a Marvel fan? What kind of idiotic conclusion is that? Yes, I do like DC, but I like Marvel as well. Doesn't mean I have to agree with this ridiculous line of thought.

The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74: The only Justice League I read is Justice League Dark..so I can't tell about the main one...or the others...there are others? :P

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By evilvegeta74

@SmashBrawler said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

No.

You're a Dc fan I see!

So, if I had said yes I would be a Marvel fan? What kind of idiotic conclusion is that? Yes, I do like DC, but I like Marvel as well. Doesn't mean I have to agree with this ridiculous line of thought.

It was just a question,it doesn't really matter ,only your opinion does about the subject matter, contrary to how ridiculous you think it is or not. I'm not asking you to agree with anything for the record, I must have struck a nerve, oh well, it's not the intent!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By evilvegeta74

@evilvegeta74: The only Justice League I read is Justice League Dark..so I can't tell about the main one...or the others...there are others? :P

Lol, how is that title , I 'm curious?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Pokeysteve

I don't think DC cares about their characters power levels in relation to Marvel's.

The only "boost" that I could find on my pull list is Black Canary's Canary Cry..and...that's it, glad I don't read JLA then...

And they compensated by nerfing her H2H skills.

The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

I like it, good stories and the art is eyecandy.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Pokeysteve said:

I don't think DC cares about their characters power levels in relation to Marvel's.

Hard to believe they nerfed her skills, that's always been an essential part of her skill set, I'd almost say more so than her Canary cry!

The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pokeysteve said:

Yep, that's kind of sad actually...

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmashBrawler

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

No.

You're a Dc fan I see!

It was just a question,it doesn't really matter ,only your opinion does about the subject matter, contrary to how ridiculous you think it is or not. I'm not asking you to agree with anything for the record, I must have struck a nerve, oh well, it's not the intent!

It is ridiculous. I can accept Superman press-benching Earth's weight as a poorly veiled attempt at adding some feats to use in battle forums, but everything else makes no sense. The Batman stuff is mostly made-up speculation, Wonder Woman "thrashing" Superman shouldn't be odd for a Marvel reader, a company that has had their heroes fight each other in different events for a while now, not to mention that Diana has never thrashed Supes, Aquaman "thrashing the League" never happened either, and Martian Manhunter has been an immensely powerful character for a long time.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mercy_

Pretty sure DC doesn't care about battle forum discussions on comic book websites. Anything they do to compete with Marvel isn't to compete with their power level (or beat it) - it's to compete with their sales. Considering the power level of a character has nothing to do with how well they sell, it's pretty easy to definitively say no.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Pokeysteve

@evilvegeta74: @The_Lunact_And_Manic: It's ridiculous. Her Canary Cry was a last resort 99% of the time. She never leads with it. Now it seems like we're seeing it every issue. The last few don't count since it's part of the story. I hope they increase her skills back to where they were.

Avatar image for soulreaper31337
soulreaper31337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By soulreaper31337

They nerfed superman and a few of the other overpowered "gods" from pre-52. The only people boosted would be auqaman, supergirl (she has boobs or at least they are drawn every issue now), and maybe wonder woman with her berserking rage and manifesting swords. Hal Jordan might go either way but we will see; and the bat family rarely gets too powerful or too weak (except cassandra cain and damian wayne but they are trained from birth so that explains there high level and they arent in the picture in the new 52 really so they wont factor for a few yearsl). I could talk about every character since the reboot but overall they realigned the characters to fit into the dc universe better. I only hope this time they wont have superman being too powerful again (seriously moving planets puts you on super saiyan level and that means cheating which makes you boring).

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By evilvegeta74

@The_Lunact_And_Manicsaid:

@Pokeysteve said:

Yep, that's kind of sad actually...

@The_Lunact_And_Manic

said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

I like it, good stories and the art is eyecandy.

I hate the H2H news ,on the other I'm gonna have to check that title out.@SmashBrawler said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

No.

You're a Dc fan I see!

It is ridiculous. I can accept Superman press-benching Earth's weight as a poorly veiled attempt at adding some feats to use in battle forums, but everything else makes no sense. The Batman stuff is mostly made-up speculation, Wonder Woman "thrashing" Superman shouldn't be odd for a Marvel reader, a company that has had their heroes fight each other in different events for a while now, not to mention that Diana has never thrashed Supes, Aquaman "thrashing the League" never happened either, and Martian Manhunter has been an immensely powerful character for a long time.

The battle forums are crazy with that, which is true. Batman is a smart guy, I give him that credit ( except when it came to Damian), but don't dare say that to any Bat fans, or you know! I grew up with both Marvel and Dc, my first comics were of Captain Marvel, Marvel and Dc at that time ironically. I have nothing against WW, it's just unusual for me to see her on par with a guy like Superman, she's not a god, and over the years , I've watched her go from using a jet to just plain flying, constant upgrades and continual origin changes. I can show you some clips where WW has handled Superman not utterly defeating him but doing things we seldom see Shazam/Captain Marvel do! I even have a scan where she tells Batman that she is faster than Sup, considering he's the everything guy. The Throne of Atlantis arc , Arthur cuts lose on the league, not defeating but cutting lose, knocking them around.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Pokeysteve said:

@evilvegeta74: @The_Lunact_And_Manic: It's ridiculous. Her Canary Cry was a last resort 99% of the time. She never leads with it. Now it seems like we're seeing it every issue. The last few don't count since it's part of the story. I hope they increase her skills back to where they were.

Thats what I thought, it's been a while since I read anything with her , but it was gift to see her use the technique in comics.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmashBrawler

@evilvegeta74: Of course Wonder Woman is going to get flying, would people take you seriously if you went everywhere in an invisible jet?

All Aquaman does in Throne of Atlantis is punch Superman and Wonder Woman once, he never thrashes the League. Hell, he doesn't even fight all members.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evilvegeta74

@SmashBrawler said:

@evilvegeta74: Of course Wonder Woman is going to get flying, would people take you seriously if you went everywhere in an invisible jet?

All Aquaman does in Throne of Atlantis is punch Superman and Wonder Woman once, he never thrashes the League. Hell, he doesn't even fight all members.

It was the effect of the punches, which shocked me, I know he's no pushover, but the guys been drinking milk! I 'm glad, I've always been a fan of his.@Mercy_ said:

Pretty sure DC doesn't care about battle forum discussions on comic book websites. Anything they do to compete with Marvel isn't to compete with their power level (or beat it) - it's to compete with their sales. Considering the power level of a character has nothing to do with how well they sell, it's pretty easy to definitively say no.

Dc trumped Marvel in sales according to in 2012 , they are doing something right.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22  Edited By SC  Moderator

No, no and no. Marvel and DC do not think like Battles forum posters at all. They are businesses with millions of dollars at stake, their business decisions are not based on pleasuring the fragile egos of the 5 percent of their fans who lust for feats to use to try and justify fallaciously why one character beats another. Hulk, Thor, Hyperion, Blue Marvel, Hercules, Sentry, Silver Surfer, have coincidentally done many as impressive if not more impressive things than Hulk's Secret Wars showing, but what has gone out of date is writing that tries to show that level of measurement because thats cringey and usually because most writers are conscious of the fact that fans are more savvy now and trying to accurately measure mountains by ton and what that means objectively as far as a character lifting just tends to create more problems than solve. Now they just assume that readers can identify a very large looking object is heavy. You will still get measurements, but some characters appeal lies in such measurements more than others.

Should and do Marvel and DC try to offer readers hooks and in doing so try to exploit areas their competition may be lacking? Sure, but its more of a style thing than measurement thing and its more of a writer thing than company directive.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmashBrawler

@evilvegeta74 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

It was the effect of the punches, which shocked me, I know he's no pushover, but the guys been drinking milk! I 'm glad, I've always been a fan of his.

That's not DC trying to one-up Marvel, that's just Geoff Johns' usual way of trying to hype up a character, like Hal Jordan sucker-punching Batman, or Barry Allen outrunning Superman. Pretty sure he wasn't thinking of battle forums when he wrote that.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evilvegeta74

Hal giving it to Batman was one of my favorite moments !

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Mercy_ said:

Mercy killed.

/thread.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#26  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SmashBrawler said:

No.

this

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@evilvegeta74 said:

Hal giving it to Batman was one of my favorite moments !

at the time i first read it i felt the same way.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By evilvegeta74

yeah that takes me back!