DC cities

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Clark_EL

Yes I know these are fake cities but what states are they in?

We all know Smallville is in Kansas, but it's been said Metropolis is close to Smallville. Does that mean Metropolis is in Kansas?....I've also heard Gotham is close to Metropolis too, is it in Metropolis?

So my question is what states are these cities in?:

Gotham

Metropolis

Star

Centeral

Coast

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jorgevy

there was a map with all the cities pinpointed somewhere around the web..... I think Gotham and Metropolis are east coast

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lightsout

Here's 3 maps I've found

to answer the ones you asked:

Gotham - New Jersey

Metropolis - Delaware

Star - California on that big map, but I'd say Washington

Central - Missouri

Coast - California

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout: Thanks.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By SavageDragon

Yeah from what Ive heard and seen Gotham is in Jersey. Metropolis is supposed to be outside of New England Area maybe closer to Maryland.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Clark_EL

@SavageDragon: Yeah above it says Delaware

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lightsout

Oh, I should say that the reason I would say that Star City is Washington (not CA), is because many of DCs cities seem to be inspired by real US cities -- even if those cities exist in DCU as well (like Gotham & Metropolis both being stated to being based on New York City, but NY is still in the DCU), and from what I've read (though I will admit it's not a TON), Green Arrow's home seems like Seattle (also in Washington) - and it doesn't hurt Seatle's the Emerald City (Green Arrow, etc etc).

Also, while the DC USA is obviously more populated than our own (Gotham is stated as being the largest city (IDK if that's pop. or area though), add in all the other large fictional cities), CA would still seem too populated if Star City was there as well. (LA being roughly 4 million, Coast City was about 2.7M in Blackest Night, SD 1.3M, and then you've got SJ, SF, etc etc).

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By EMH_Bruce
 Central City
 Central City
 Gotham City
 Gotham City
Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout: So are you saying Star city is in West coast Washington or a similar city to the Washington DC.

Also this is an opinion, but I think Metropolis should be the biggest, what do you think?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Funny, I always though Gotham was suposed to kind of like New York and Bludhaven kind of like Jersey.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lightsout

Washington the state (inspired by Seattle, WA I'd imagine). I'd think it'd be really close to Gotham (being that it's basically the "daytime" side of the New York coin, to Gotham's "nighttime"). Who knows though if you include the "metro area" population, because that usually is a better indicator of how big & "active" a region is (ex: San Diego may be the 2nd largest city in CA, but the metro area (the city itself + surrounding burbs, etc (where you'd still tell people you're "in SD") isn't that big compared to those of other large-population cities, so we don't have a lot of huge companies here and our sports teams are relatively poor)

I think that's what inspired those places. I don't know where it came from, but I've heard Gotham & Metropolis' connection to NY being described as "M is NYC during the day, and Gotham is NYC at night" and also "M is NYC north(?) of _____ street, and Gotham is everything south(?) of _____" . Basically saying Metropolis was inspired by the good qualities/areas of NYC, and Gotham by the "bad" ones.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@lightsout: Gotham was also insipred by Chicago I believe.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lightsout

Yea, the organized crime aspects of Gotham definitely have a CHI feel to them

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout: OK, thanks

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Clark_EL: Hardware about Metropolis in the DC/Milestone Crossover Worlds Collide. But he said that to a destroyed Metropolis.

Definitely Detroit (Worlds Collide - Hardware #17)
Definitely Detroit (Worlds Collide - Hardware #17)
Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Clark_EL

@EMH_Bruce: OK, thank you

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lightsout

@EMH_Bruce said:

Gotham City
Gotham City

Just noticed this. Hmm...I've never seen Gotham put in CT before (though I think when I first saw that episode, I felt it was strange too). The funny thing (for people who know CT), is that it's sorta near Bridgeport on that map. Other than that joke, I'd think Gotham is too dirty/gritty (and maybe too large a city) for CT.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssejllenrad

@lightsout said:

Not exactly. Falcone, Maroni, the Bertenellis, the Galantes, the Tomassos and all of their "allies" resembled more the Five Families of New York. In fact, Falcone was inspired by The Godfather's Corloene, who was, in turn, inspired by a collective of NY FIve Family heads like Joe Bananas (Bannono family), Carlo Gambino (Gambino Family) and Frank Costello (Luciano/Genovese Family). Dimitrov (the Russian) looked more like Agron of Little Odessa. Chicago outfit didn't really represent Gotham's families. In fact, Apokolips-connection aside, Metropolis's Intergang resembled more of the Chicago Outfit than ony of the crime organizations from Gotham.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lightsout

@ssejllenrad said:

@lightsout said:

Not exactly. Falcone, Maroni, the Bertenellis, the Galantes, the Tomassos and all of their "allies" resembled more the Five Families of New York. In fact, Falcone was inspired by The Godfather's Corloene, who was, in turn, inspired by a collective of NY FIve Family heads like Joe Bananas (Bannono family), Carlo Gambino (Gambino Family) and Frank Costello (Luciano/Genovese Family). Dimitrov (the Russian) looked more like Agron of Little Odessa. Chicago outfit didn't really represent Gotham's families. In fact, Apokolips-connection aside, Metropolis's Intergang resembled more of the Chicago Outfit than ony of the crime organizations from Gotham.

Well ****, I do believe I just got schooled, haha. Impressive mob knowledge.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ssejllenrad

@lightsout said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@lightsout said:

Well ****, I do believe I just got schooled, haha. Impressive mob knowledge.

Well to be fair, I only know of the connections cause I got schooled by a fellow-geek some time ago. I always thought Capone inspired Falcone before.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lightsout

@ssejllenrad said:

Well to be fair, I only know of the connections cause I got schooled by a fellow-geek some time ago. I always thought Capone inspired Falcone before.

Ah. That's cool. I shall try to remember those facts for when I have the opportunity to pass the knowledge on (using the internet for good, rather than being an evil argumentative jerk, lol)

redhoodnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By redhoodnet

It is very very confusing....

I never liked the idea that Gotham was so close to NYC and Philly.... would be merging into one big mega city at this point...

I wish that this was something that the N52 had fixed to be honest.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Clark_EL

@redhoodnet: I think it's fine

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Gotham and Metropolis re bot in New York State (on earth one it was in conneticut), Central City is in Kansas, Coast and Star City are in Cali.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PrinceIMC

Metropolis was also partially modeled on Toronto.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clark_EL

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I think Central city is in Missouri.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PrinceIMC

Keystone City is Kansas, Central City is Missouri.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Clark_EL said:

wrong. the site's wiki says it in currently in Kansas. several other wiki's say the same thing. in the silver ge it was originally listed as being in Ohio, but was later to being Florida

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrinceIMC

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Clark_EL said:

wrong. the site's wiki says it in currently in Kansas. several other wiki's say the same thing. in the silver ge it was originally listed as being in Ohio, but was later to being Florida

So they musta moved it again. Before the new 52 they had Central City and Keystone City across the river from each other.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@PrinceIMC said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Clark_EL said:

So they musta moved it again. Before the new 52 they had Central City and Keystone City across the river from each other.

ok, so someone probably got the page wrong because it says they're right next to each other but both are in ohio

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Crash_Recovery

I know thematically many writers have described Metropolis as New York during the day and Gotham as New York during the night.

These maps make me think just how weird Smallville was in its geography.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@PrinceIMC said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Clark_EL said:

@Clark_EL said:

just fixed the page so it says Missouri

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By impossibilly

@lightsout said:

I think that's what inspired those places. I don't know where it came from, but I've heard Gotham & Metropolis' connection to NY being described as "M is NYC during the day, and Gotham is NYC at night" and also "M is NYC north(?) of _____ street, and Gotham is everything south(?) of _____" . Basically saying Metropolis was inspired by the good qualities/areas of NYC, and Gotham by the "bad" ones.

I'm pretty sure the "Metropolis is New York City during the day and Gotham is New York City at night" is a Frank Miller quote and north/south of 14th St is a Denny O'Neill quote. Frank Miller and Denny O'Neill saying Metropolis and Gotham are both NYC is good enough for me to believe the same.

Referring to New York City as Gotham predates Batman by a long time. At least as it was originally intended, I believe Gotham is New York City.

I'm currently reading Superman: Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S! Maggin. It's interesting how hard he really drives home that Metropolis is NYC in that novel.

In my mind, Gotham is the NYC of the 70s and 80s and Metropolis is the NYC of the 2000s.

@DarkKnightDetective said:

Funny, I always though Gotham was suposed to kind of like New York and Bludhaven kind of like Jersey.

Bludhaven as Newark, NJ makes a lot of sense...and not just because Jersey smells like Chemo.

DaveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaveT

Pre-Crisis Metropolis was pretty much located by New York City and I would think it still is. During the Seven Soldiers mini-series Grant Morrison described New York as sitting between Gotham and Metropolis. He dubbed the fictional New York City as the "Cinderella City" because it sat in-between two ugly stepsisters.

Smallville is set in Kansas now. Pre-Crisis it was actually upstate New York. The movie changed that and the comics followed suit. That is why in old comics Smallville seems closer. Also in Smallville the TV show Metropolis is located not too far away so I would assume it was in Kansas.

The way they describe Keystone and Central City I always placed them where Kansas City is, but one city is in Kansas and the other is in Missouri. I did always think Keystone should have been located in Pittsburgh since Pennsylvania is the Keystone State and it is a pretty blue collar town (how Geoff Johns wrote it).

DaveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DaveT

Come to think of it there are actually a lot of interesting articles about fictional city locations in the DCU.

There is an online DC Atlas. This looks to be mostly pre-Flashpoint. Still, it is an interesting look.

The Absorbascon has tons of articles tagged under fictionopolis that talks about the different cities of the DCU.

Lastly Bleeding Cool ran an interesting article about why Gotham should be placed by Chicago and Metropolis should be placed by New York City.