David Pugh's career

DavidPugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By DavidPugh

I began drawing Sláine for 2000 AD in 1984, helping to remould the character into his current incarnation and create the look of longtime villain, Elfric. My work on "Time Killer" and "Tomb of Terror" has been reprinted several times and is still available in various collected editions. I became one of the top artists in Boys' Adventure comics for Fleetway, visualising Peter Milligan scripts for M.A.S.K. comic. My personal favourite character was Loner, the black space gunslinger, especially created for me to showcase my talent in the Sci-Fi weekly, Wildcat.

When Wildcat merged with the Eagle comic and became the New Eagle, I handed Loner over to Eric Bradbury and took on the challenge of reinventing my own childhood hero, Dan Dare. I was fortunate to alternate with Keith Watson from the original Frank Hampson studio. Together we recreated Dare into an eighties action hero, retaining the look of the original character but heavily influenced by movies such as Alien and Predator. Work followed for AC Comics and Tekno Comix in the USA, the most successful work being on Neil Gaiman's Phage: Shadowdeath, written by Bryan Talbot. I wrote and drew a regular sci-fi strip and designed many spacecraft for Games Workshop. Obvious Tactics the graphic novel for Black Library has been reprinted at least twice and is available as a free download. Until 2011, I provided the colour and 3D computer effects for the Scorer football strip in the Daily Mirror.

I'm now an adventurer, writing my great travel fiction set in India and West Africa.