Dark Knight Rises cinematographer calls Avengers 'Appalling'.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By entropy_aegis

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

First off who cares what this guy says and 2nd he is a sore loser. His movie lost to Avengers and for that reason it is "appalling"

In what way did TDKR lose to The Avengers? and maybe you should actually check up on his career before calling him a loser.

Look TDKR was out grossed and had less of a positive reaction. So in order to even things out he calls it "appalling". And I know of his career and calling him a sore loser doesn't even have to do with that. It has to do with his film lost the money making race(and reception) and because his movie lost Avengers is "appalling".

I mean look I have never heard outside the comicbook community even a iota of negative reception for Avengers but for TDKR I've heard it, most people say it was a major let down. Now I haven't seen the film and I can't wait to, but to compare the 2 financial success wise and reception TDKR lost and his calling Avengers "appalling" shows how much of a sore loser he really is.

I never ever said he was bad at what he does...in fact I think he is one of the best in the field. But his saying Avengers is "appalling" is truly revealing.

And did you ever bother to even look at the reasons why TDKR was out grossed? TDKR has beaten the Avengers overall on a critical level.Most of this negative TDKR reception you're talking about comes from guys who wanted Tom Hardy to be taller(because that automatically makes a good movie).

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By dernman

Can't we just like both movies or like one without attacking the other?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By Gambit1024

@Dernman said:

Can't we just like both movies or like one without attacking the other?

This. Both movies have their problems, and I thought both movies were fantastic anyway.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Xanni15

@entropy_aegis said:

On a financial level Avengers had a 3-D advantage,that's about $200 million right there while TDKR had to suffer from the Colorado tragedy.

No offense but that's low.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Xanni15 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

On a financial level Avengers had a 3-D advantage,that's about $200 million right there while TDKR had to suffer from the Colorado tragedy.

No it's not low,it's fact,one which people have been trying to brush aside for a while.Try not to misinterpret my statements without actually clarifying it with me first.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Xanni15

@entropy_aegis said:

@Xanni15 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

No it's not low,it's fact,one which people have been trying to brush aside for a while.Try not to misinterpret my statements without actually clarifying it with me first.

Okay. Would you mind explaining what you mean by it? :]

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By INLIFE

@The Stegman said:

@evilvegeta74: Really, it was impossible for TDKR to make as much as Avengers 1. Avengers came out in 3D, which automatically bumped up ticket prices 2. Avengers is much more kid friendly, meaning kids will want to see it more than TDKR, and parents will be willing to take their kids to it as opposed to TDKR 3. Avengers had WAY more marketing than TDKR, they got the word out better 4. Not saying this to undermine the tragedy in anyway, but the Colorado shooting did have a huge affect on people wanting to go to the theater to see it, some didn't feel safe, a few of my friends for instance didn't see it for that reason.

This is what people forget for some unknown reason.

Anyway, for those who are calling the cinematographer an idiot, just stop. He knows more about his jobs than you will ever do. This is due to the fact that it is his job. Also saying that a person is an idiot for sharing his views, when he is educated in what he is talking about, is just not nice. Stop being mean.

In the end, both movies are great to watch. The Avengers is a bit more childish and action oriented (you can't argue with that), than The Dark Knight Rises. However, The Dark Knight Rises is a much more action oriented and not as great as the first two.

To be honest, I did not like both of those movies..............But then again, I do not like a lot of things.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Xanni15 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Xanni15 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

TDKR lost $20-30 million on it's opening weekend alone thanks to that lunatic,this has been confirmed.Also many people decided to stay away from the theaters,I believe they estimated about 20% of the movie going audience.At the end we'll never be sure and personally I could'nt care less which movie made more money,not like I'm gonna get a share.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Xanni15

@entropy_aegis said:

@Xanni15 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Xanni15 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

TDKR lost $20-30 million on it's opening weekend alone thanks to that lunatic,this has been confirmed.Also many people decided to stay away from the theaters,I believe they estimated about 20% of the movie going audience.At the end we'll never be sure and personally I could'nt care less which movie made more money,not like I'm gonna get a share.

I understand your point, I do, but at the same time estimates are exactly that. We have no way of knowing how much money would have been made if the horrible shooting had not taken place. We can only go off what we have. I do agree that the whole money aspect is irrelevant and a bad way to judge movies.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By Timandm

1: I loved the Avengers movie.

2: The guy said he's not really into super hero movies

3: The Avengers was made for less money than TDKR but made more

4: The Avengers are a great movie. MILLIONS of people think so. MILLIONS of people love it.

The guys wrong.

The_Roman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By The_Roman

@ComicMan24 said:

Saying that Avengers> TDKR or the other way around is just silly. Sure they were both about superheroes but this is where the similarities end. The movies were just too different to be compared. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Apples >> Oranges lol

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MisterKetch

He was trying to get attention for his upcoming project plain and simple either that or he believes what he said and he's a total film snob who can't watch a movie without thinking how he would light and angle the shots.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By YMCMB

I'll never understand this love people have for Avengers. It was a decent, fairy entertaining, but pretty average Marvel movie. People go around acting like it was the greatest movie ever made, and if you don't like it then you're insane, I just can't understand why people act like this movie was such a big deal.

ComicKID777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ComicKID777

@YMCMB: Uhh? Cause it kinda was a big deal? How can u be on a Comic website an not think Avengers was a big deal

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By nick_hero22

The Avengers is overhyped, it was a decent movie at best with some really great moments.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

The Avengers and the Batman movies were really overrated, They were entertaining but not amazing.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FearTheLiving

@nick_hero22 said:

The Avengers is overhyped, it was a decent movie at best with some really great moments.

Same could be said about all the Dark Knight movies. At least in my opinion.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By tg1982

I would only like to point out this one part....

"They’d shoot from some odd angle and I’d think, why is the camera there? Oh, I see, because they spent half a million on the set and they have to show it off."

He makes it sound like the Avengers used some huge budget (Which they did), But TDKR used 30 million dollars more. I just find that kind of funny. To me it just sounds like one of three things...

1) It's sour grapes...

2) He's trying to get publicity for his project, or...

3) Both.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#69  Edited By turoksonofstone

@entropy_aegis said:

@turoksonofstone:Hey Turok,your boy Toberoff just got his ass kicked.

Meh, DC fully "recovered" 50% of Superman, thing is the other 50% was more or less awarded to and is still owned by the Siegel Heirs since 2008. So good luck with that. Toberoff is in fact a wicked bastard he's just less evil than DC. And indeed his ass was kicked hardest it's karma for what he was trying to do to the Heirs. DC movies..lol

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Duke_Nasty

He needs to get over himself.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@Guardiandevil83

Haters are fans too. He obviously watched it and will most likely try and get a job working on the next one. lol

Lol this
Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@FearTheLiving:

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FearTheLiving

@DarkKnightDetective:

And?

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By xybernauts

@entropy_aegis said:

Nice of you to use only one critic site and even there you chose to show only the fresh rating. Metacritic has a much more reputable reviewing system and there TDKR has the Avengers beaten by about 10%,it also leads in Cinemascore and IMDB.Likewise in RT both movies have the same average rating,the fresh meter has nothing to do with the movies' quality.

And it's The Dark Knight Rises not Returns.

I didn't purposely chose the site that gave Avengers favorable reviews. RottenTomatoes just my go to site for movie reviews.

Which sites system is more reputable is a matter of opinion, but for sake of argument....

Marvel's The Avenger

A metascore of 69 of 100 based on 43 critics

• 32 reviews were positive
  • 10 reviews were mixed
  • 1 reviews were negative

A user score of 8.1 based on 1607 users.

• 418 reviews were positive
  • 39 reviews were mixed
  • 29 reviews were negative

The Dark Knight Rises

A metascore of 78 of 100 based on 45 critics

• 37 reviews were positive
  • 6 reviews were mixed
  • 2 reviews were negative

A user score of 8.6 based on 1983 users.

• 497 reviews were positive
  • 40 reviews were mixed
  • 59 reviews were negative

So your right that on Metacritic TDKR's metascore beats Avengers' metascore by 9 points, but they only base their metascore on reviews from about 43 - 45 critics as opposed to RottenTomatoes whose score is based on reviews from about 290-291 reviews so to me that means RottenTomatoes consesnsus probably better reflects the views of the broader public then the score of Metacritic.

Also the CinemaScore of Marvel's The Avenger was an A+ grade. The CinemaScore of The Dark Knight Rises was an A grade. So technically based on the CinemaScore, Avengers wins again! Boosh!

@Mediumguy: @entropy_aegis: Yes, Avengers isn't something I'd consider a contender for the Oscar for best movie, but what made it great was it successfully merged the egos of several big name actors in a way that was believable. Also, it was entertaining to the portion of the public who isn't familiar with comics and it stayed true to the source material (i.e. comic books) allowing these characters to stay true to who they are making the fanboys happy for the most part. I mean you can downplay that, but that's no small feat. The things that made the Avengers great is what hurt TDKR. While Nolan has had a great run, he strays from the source material. He goes to the opposite extreme. He makes his movies too realistic to the point they aren't really the comic book we know and love. For example, Bruce Wayne bankrupts his own company with his escapades. While this makes sense it takes away from the aspect of Batman which revolves around the hero who funds a war on crime using his own money. It makes him seem selfish (in an economic sense, Wall St. Vs. Main St.) and potentially as dangerous as the criminals he fights (in his own way). And on top of that he builds a potential nuclear disaster right underneath Gotham. Basically he caused the very calamity that he saved Gotham from. Isn't Batman the guy who anticipates all scenarios, yet he doesn't anticipate a possibility that his experimental reactor could become the next Chernobyl. Also in past arguments for Nolan's prior two movies I've always felt that Nolan's accomplishments make him the best Batman director to date cause he built on the accomplishments of previous directors, but I didn't feel that he built on the successes of previous Batman movies in this movie. Truthfully, I like Burton's Catwoman better then Nolan's Catwoman. She was too "realistic" to the point where they phased out the catlike aspects to her character. Yes catlike aspects of her character make her less realistic, but based on that logic Bruce Wayne shouldn't be running around in a Bat costume cause that's not "realistic" either. Also, I really was hoping to see a tricked out Batcave and an actual Batmobile. Again, Burton wins on these two fronts because Nolan was to busy trying to be too realistic. That is why Avengers wins to me. It places the movie in a realistic setting, but doesn't forget that it's a comic book movie. And for the record I actually like Tom Hardy's Bane. There are other things, but i'd take to long to list them.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By entropy_aegis

@xybernauts:Ok fair enough.@BlueLantern1995 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

First off who cares what this guy says and 2nd he is a sore loser. His movie lost to Avengers and for that reason it is "appalling"

In what way did TDKR lose to The Avengers? and maybe you should actually check up on his career before calling him a loser.

Look TDKR was out grossed and had less of a positive reaction. So in order to even things out he calls it "appalling". And I know of his career and calling him a sore loser doesn't even have to do with that. It has to do with his film lost the money making race(and reception) and because his movie lost Avengers is "appalling".

I mean look I have never heard outside the comicbook community even a iota of negative reception for Avengers but for TDKR I've heard it, most people say it was a major let down. Now I haven't seen the film and I can't wait to, but to compare the 2 financial success wise and reception TDKR lost and his calling Avengers "appalling" shows how much of a sore loser he really is.

I never ever said he was bad at what he does...in fact I think he is one of the best in the field. But his saying Avengers is "appalling" is truly revealing.

And did you ever bother to even look at the reasons why TDKR was out grossed? TDKR has beaten the Avengers overall on a critical level.Most of this negative TDKR reception you're talking about comes from guys who wanted Tom Hardy to be taller(because that automatically makes a good movie).

Then how come do people(who aren't comicbook fans and critics and nutso fanboys) say Avengers is better? Comicbook fans who disliked TDKR wanted Hardy taller. That doesn't explain the extreme "comparing them is stupid cause Avengers is in a league way above it" reaction.

Everyone I've ever talked to outside of comicbook community says Avengers is in a league all of its own. They even say Amazing Spider-Man is better.

Critics saying TDKR was better is pointless, its fan reaction that matters and Avengers won that.

I have looked at how much it "would have made" but that doesn't change the fact that even if it did get the ammount it was estimated to get it would still be behind Avengers.

Avengers made $200.3 million while TDKR with the 30 million it would have gotten would be $190 million thus making Avengers lead by like $10 million.

You can only blame so much on that psychopath and even with the blame placed on him they still fall short.

First of all who exactly are you supposed to be? why should I care what you see or what your social circle thinks or what website you choose to visit? Avengers made more than what you posted on it's opening weekend,but it also had a 3-D advantage.TDKR making $190 million would have put it at $220 million or something(just a rough guess) in 3-D.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By Rumble Man

John holmes should've shot that guy instead of those poor folks at colorado

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By daredevil21134

AVENGERS FTW!!!!

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 47

#78  Edited By TheCannon

@John Valentine said:

Loved both films....

This, though the Avengers was far better.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By minigunman123

He should've worded it better since he's in a position of publicity, and it's just general courtesy anyway, but it really doesn't matter if he prefers anything over the Avengers. I prefer TDKR over Avengers, not a big deal. The only issue is that he seems to actively be saying that it is, on a technical scale, a piece of trash; while he might be right or wrong, don't hate the guy for it. Even if he's just trolling us. Doesn't really matter what he thinks.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By John Valentine

@TheCannon said:

@John Valentine said:

Loved both films....

This, though the Avengers was far better.

You like Wolverine Origins, so your opinion is somewhat invalid.

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... That's a disgusting thought....^^^^

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How old are you o_O?

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider TDK series to be overrated, so I don't really care what this guy thinks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Also, on another note, if you are so inclined, I'd love to shoot up some more DC fanboys in the stupid-ass Batman v. Superman opening just to prove a point. So much for your 'Dawn of Justice.' More like "Death of Justice." LOL

DC movies caused a shooting. Marvel movies didn't. End of argument.

Also, I'd pay the shooter if he was a Marvel fan. Great job.

What the hell man?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By ccraft

@dagmar_merrill: He should be banned from CV, what a horrible thing to say...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: For sure, I flagged the posts so I think a mod will come along.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By pikachumonster

@ccraft: yeah.. I think he needs a timeout

lOl

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like either soo. F*cks remain at 0.