ComicVine: Top 100 Comic Book Superheroes.

• 112 results
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#101  Edited By Silkcuts

@turoksonofstone said:

@Silkcuts: Interesting Indeed, I could do Kirby just the Same..Maybe instead of companies choose by creator? Hmmm.

Moore, Kirby, Eisner that should be it when it comes to creators. I love Jack Cole, but really just Plastic Man. Ditko could work, there is Spider-Man, Shade and Creeper that I know of.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#102  Edited By Liberty

@Silkcuts said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@Silkcuts: Interesting Indeed, I could do Kirby just the Same..Maybe instead of companies choose by creator? Hmmm.

Moore, Kirby, Eisner that should be it when it comes to creators. I love Jack Cole, but really just Plastic Man. Ditko could work, there is Spider-Man, Shade and Creeper that I know of.

Don't forget Ted Kord

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Silkcuts

@Liberty said:

@Silkcuts said:

@turoksonofstone said:

Don't forget Ted Kord

opps sorry... yes Ditko for Ted Kord as well. That is a solid 4.

1) Spider-Man

2) Ted Kord

3) Creeper

4) Shade

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By damswedon

@turoksonofstone said:

@damswedon said:

I'd love to represent 2000 AD's myriad of characters, but we have a big problem in that Judge Dredd is a villain. When push comes to shove Dredd is the most popular and obviously the top character for the book/publisher.

A Villain?

Dredd is an agent of a fascist state. His actions are for the benefit of that fascist state, in "Revolution" when ordered to undermine a democratic march he did so. In the fantastic America we are shown that the people fear Judges, that they have little to no freedom. Dredd is a tool to the state and his only loyalties are to the law. The reason why fans enjoy him and the universe is because it combines that serious subject matter with some good old fashioned black humour, with the banning of smoking, disciplining children or even helping a Judge. When it comes down to it Dredd is an Anti-Villain he is a villain through and through but compared to the creeps that he goes up against he is the best choice.

Like I said, I will happily represent 2000AD, but two of the characters are going to be villains when compared to the Batman, Spider-man or even Punisher that they will go up against.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Silkcuts

@damswedon said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@damswedon said:

I'd love to represent 2000 AD's myriad of characters, but we have a big problem in that Judge Dredd is a villain. When push comes to shove Dredd is the most popular and obviously the top character for the book/publisher.

A Villain?

Dredd is an agent of a fascist state. His actions are for the benefit of that fascist state, in "Revolution" when ordered to undermine a democratic march he did so. In the fantastic America we are shown that the people fear Judges, that they have little to no freedom. Dredd is a tool to the state and his only loyalties are to the law. The reason why fans enjoy him and the universe is because it combines that serious subject matter with some good old fashioned black humour, with the banning of smoking, disciplining children or even helping a Judge. When it comes down to it Dredd is an Anti-Villain he is a villain through and through but compared to the creeps that he goes up against he is the best choice.

Like I said, I will happily represent 2000AD, but two of the characters are going to be villains when compared to the Batman, Spider-man or even Punisher that they will go up against.

You better add Halo Jones, Hewligan and Gene the Hackman

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#106  Edited By damswedon

@Silkcuts: Halo Jones is in my personal top ten characters and I think it is Alan Moore's best work. She's in. Hell I'd sacrifice Rogue Trooper to give her a space.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Silkcuts

@damswedon: Good to know Halo is safe with you. It is sad that it was never finished, I heard Moore planned a 4th book, but with a fall out with 2000ad it never happened. Hewligan!!!! Hewligan's Haircut is one of Peter Milligan's best stories! Gene the Hackman is awesome! The Kingdom was great.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By jhazzroucher

@cody1984:

It's possible. CBR does it annually. IGN makes lists too. MVC3 DLC polls also happened on different websites.

@The Poet: Did you mean the 2 biggest publishers Marvel and DC will have 16 characters each? THat would be cool cos 8 is just too little for each of them.

Anyway, if this is about comicvine members who are volunteering to nominate a list of characters, then I would prefer a working committee composed of a few from the site staff, site mods and 5-8 professional and knowledgeable comicvine members. Each of the members of the committee should come up with a list (with research of course) for each publisher, one at a time.

For example, they start with Dc Comics, each of them will give their DC list with explanations why they should be in the final list.

and by the way, per publisher topic, the committee must invite at least 3 (if possible) comicvine members who are knowledgeable about the Publisher's history, comics, etc.

That way, they working committee can come up with a better and more accurate list.

and this is not about popularity since only a group of people are going to do the research. I think, we're talking about The 100 greatest Characters in Comics. and everything is being taken into consideration: the impact of the character in comics, number of appearances in comics, video games, films, cartoons, music, advertisements, actions figures, etc...

I'd say the number of characters top list should depend on the publisher's popularity. Why try to give a top 10 characters list on a particular publisher when there are only 5 deserving characters to be on the list, right? but then again top 10 for each publisher would be great so that this project will not only determine the top 100 characters in comics, but also top 10 characters on each publisher.

As for Marvel and DC, they should have a bigger list, like top 50 each because we're talking about top 100 characters. If we only have a top 15 list for each from Marvel and DC, the list wouldn't be accurate because there are more characters from Marvel and DC who deserves to be in the top 100 than other characters from other publishers.

This is how i would see it.

after coming up with a top 50 characters from Marvel and Top 50 characters from DC, the committee will rank them to TOP 100, in chronological order, from the greatest to the least.

Then that Top 100 list which is only composed of characters from Marvel and DC will be the measurement for other characters from different publishers if they could get into the list.

If we all want a bigger list like let's say Top 150, then it should be top 75 for marvel and Top 75 for DC

if Top 200, then it should be top 100 for Marvel and Top 100 for DC.

what do you ALL think?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#109  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Liberty says he has an idea...I will create blog just as soon as he looks over the site's characters...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110  Edited By Gambit1024

@Liberty said:

@The Poet:

Can we take off these four publishers for others? There are so many publishers that have thicker histories and characters. turoksonofstone, silkcuts and I mentioned a bunch above this post. They just seem bush league.

1. Zenescope Entertainment - This company is not really a superhero company. Who would get put on the list? Alice? I cannot think of any characters from this company that should be on a top 100. Now I'm sure someone will challenge that but really? I mean really?
  2. Disney - What is being considered here? Aladdin, Nemo, Winnie the pooh, Lion King? Does anyone really believe these characters should be on a 100 list of superheroes?
  3. Red 5 - Red 5's longest lasting run is 8 issues. This won't be a top 8 list. It will be a list of all their characters. Would any really make a real top 100 list?
  4. Viz - Remember the premise. (Top 100 Comic Book Superheroes) Can anyone besides a BESM nut really take these characters? It would be like adding Danielle Steel Characters. It make no sense.

Gotta say I kind of agree with this. Especially Disney's involvement. If this were top 100 animated characters or even movie characters, I'd be behind it, but on a list of top 100 superheroes, I don't see Mickey Mouse outranking a character like Wasp or Tigra.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Liberty

First this is the Poet's  show.  I not trying to step on any shoes.  I just like this idea and have done some similar blogs so I thought I could help.  I looked up every publishing company on the vine all 1,500+ and picked what in my opinion were the best companies bast on the amount of Superhero and the amount of books published.  Basically I picked the companies that I thought were the best.  I also removed Disney for lack of Superheros.  That should be a problem considering the vote rule below.  Below I will change the rules slightly to improve the game.  I hope you like them.  BTW I would start a new blog and put the rules at the top.

• We need 20 different users who are true comic fans and have a deeper knowledge than most.  Each user will represent one of their favorite publishers.  Don't pick a company if you don't know anything about characters just to play.
  • Each of the 20 will nominate 8 different Superheroes/Antiheroes. Five of them must be from one or more of publisher(s) you chose.  Three can be anything you want.  Also include why you picked those characters and why the character should be on the list.  These will be posted in the main blog under the rules later so people can find them.  The user who is at the top of the list will post first followed by the second and so on until all 20 have added their votes.
  • The list of eight heroes must be in order of best to last.
  • Then, Poet will take those 160 nominations and compose a list with all the number first choices in the top twenty, all the 2's in the next twenty and so on.  (I can do this for you Poet if it is too much of a pain.
  • Then the 20 users will discuss who should move up or down refine the list.  Until we have a good list were comfortable from 1-160. This will be posted again in the main blog under the rules but above the reason why the characters were chosen so the can be seen.
  • Now the comicvine community comes in and corrects all of the mistake you will inevitably think we made.  =)  Each user can request one character to be moved up or down on the list, depending on your personal preference. This can only be done once and such a move would only be up or down one position. So make it count.  After a week has passed, the blog where all requests are submitted will be locked and the results (at least for this year) will be used to create a list.

Note to those who are interested in being  part of the 20: 
If you don't see a publisher you like (and you want to participate) please mention it and you can be part of the 20. Please keep in mind this will only have 20 users. I'm sorry if your favorite is taken, but please don't complain to me...and I will post those on the comment section of the 100 list.

Note to the Poet
I did not have two DC and Marvel spots because we would lose so much.  That said I think it will be alright because every gets a bonus three pick so I'm sure DC and Marvel will be well represented.  I know it suck for two users who have already been picked but I'm sure one of them will be the better person and step aside.  Besides everyone gets three picks of anything they want so they could still get their top three in.

Also, there are good reasons for the rule changes I made.  If you have any questions please ask.  For example the users voting in order will eliminate 20 votes for Batman for example.  I also put these companies in order of the biggest companies first.  I did this to keep people from not not voting for their favorite (like Batman for example) because they assume someone else will and want to hedge their vote.  Besides they did get the big two so why also give them the last vote.  

Column Head 1

DC Comics: The Dark Huntress, and/or Primmaster64.

Marvel Comics (All Marvel Publisher) Timely Comics: (Timely Comics is the precursor to Marvel)  Blue Beetle is Blue and /or Gambit1024

Image Comics/Wildstorm/Skybound: 

Dark Horse Comics/Dark Horse Manga:

Dynamite Entertainment:

Archie/Archie Adventure Series/Red Circle/Mighty Comic Impact: (These companies had the same heroes that were created by Archie Comics)  harleyquinn12

IDW Publishing:

Vertigo: Aztek The Lost

Fleetway Comics/Rebellion Comics:

Acclaim Comics/Valiant Comics:

Top Cow:
 AC Comics:

Fawcett Publication:

Harvey Comic:

Epic Comic and/or Malibu Comics:

Dell Comics:

Gold Key:

Charlton Comics:

Eclipse Comics:

Fox Comics/Holyoak Comics:

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Gambit1024

@Liberty: I like it a lot. Great idea.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Liberty
@Gambit1024: I'm really glad you do.  I was most worried about the four of you who had DC and Marvel.  Did you decide what you are going to do?
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Gambit1024

@Liberty: Well I pm'd Blue Beetle to see if he either wanted to work together or let me know who his picks were because I think it'd be dumb if we both chose Spider-Man as our #4's, ya know? I'm waiting for a response.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Gambit1024 said:

Well I pm'd Blue Beetle to see if he either wanted to work together or let me know who his picks were because I think it'd be dumb if we both chose Spider-Man as our #4's, ya know? I'm waiting for a response.

thanks for doing that. I wasn't sure if he understood there was going to be a team up based on his response to update...I was going to ask you if you could do that sort of thing

oh, and can you compile your nominations into like 1 list with greaest to least?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Gambit1024

@The Poet: Yeah we already agreed to a list, but I have a question. Say that DH's and Prim's list already has a character we picked (and they nominate before we do). Does that mean we have to add a new character?

For example, Flash is their #5 pick and we have him as #7. Does that mean we have to take him off our list?

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#118  Edited By Chaos Prime

Has anyone sent a PM to Buckshot about this great idea? as im sure he would be able to cover Wildstorm from back to front & inbetween Lol

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Poet said:

@Jnr6Lil: not sure what you mean by opinionated. everyone has their own oppinion. To be or not to be that is the question. I mean, what are lists (even by IGN), but an oppinion of the worth of one character over another. I can not think of any way one could create something without an oppinion. shakespeare must have liked love or wanted us to know about the tragedies of life; he shared with us the oppions of himself through his art. my profile picture shares my opinion that Riddler is the greatest villain ever, but not everyone thinks that and I'm fine with that. Not many people would recignise me without such a picture. Oppinions make us who we are. without oppinions, how would we decide which shirt we should wear? or to like comics? Sorry, feel like argueing. I mean, how else would we create a list of characters? Please don't take this the wrong way. i really am curious what direction you were thinking of taking. I want to know how you would handle something like this...in your oppinion what is the point of the topic? Side note: what character group would you like to have? I'm sorry if this direction I have taken is seems opinionated. I really am. I am just trying to make a way we could do it which would not be complete chaos...

Marvel or DC

And even if it's opinionate dbut I would still like it to go the way I saw it as, the way IGN did.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Jnr6Lil: if what you want is the staff to do it, tell them, telling the community that you want someone else to make a list doesn't really accomplish anything...the staff might turn down your request, but if you tell the community about wanting a list, obviously the community is going to decide to make a list themselves

Yes but it was my idea.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@aztek_the_lost: it was his idea which started this whole list thing (he started the forum...)

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Poet said:

@aztek_the_lost: it was his idea which started this whole list thing (he started the forum...)

BigBlackBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BigBlackBat

Batman