Comic Vine content coming to GameSpot Entertainment

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

#1  Edited By rorie

Hey there! As you know, Comic Vine has been a part of CBS Interactive since 2012. This hasn’t affected the day to day operations of the site very much, but today we’re announcing a change. As of today, Tony and his editors are joining the newly-announced initiative called GameSpot Entertainment, intended to expand GameSpot’s coverage of popular culture beyond just games to media like comics, collectibles, movies, and television.

What does this mean for you? Only that you might start seeing some Comic Vine content over at GameSpot. Everything that Tony and his crew publish will still come to Comic Vine's homepage, but some coverage of movies and television will be cross-posted to GameSpot to allow that audience to more easily see all of the great coverage that the Comic Vine editors produce every day. There will be other articles and features from GameSpot Entertainment editors that will live on the new section of GameSpot in addition to the stories that are cross-posted from Comic Vine, so if you want to check those out, feel free to wander over to the new page here.

Rest assured that this is a good thing: making Comic Vine content also live on GameSpot Entertainment will give Tony more resources to bring to bear on the increasingly sprawling universe of comic-related media. We have some other announcements coming in the new year, and we're excited to share those with you in 2016.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2 frozen  Moderator

@rorie: GameSpot is already dying and it has declined rapidly in the last few years. I don't think there's much hope for the gaming media anymore.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

@frozen said:

@rorie: GameSpot is already dying and it has declined rapidly in the last few years. I don't think there's much hope for the gaming media anymore.

The gaming media itself is fine, it's just how they do it.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frozen  Moderator

@cloudguy: GamerGate showed that it's far from fine. Unethical practices, agenda pushing and shitting on their own readerbase made me lose faith in it. YouTube gaming will probably replace the gaming media anyway.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen Defiantly, GamerGate ruined "mainstream" gaming media. But I still think that the more viewed and correct reviews from Youtubers are what's keeping gaming media alive when it comes to news and reviews.

AtomicHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just as long as they don't mess with ComicVine or CBS attempts a merger like IGN and Ziff Davis did with their sites.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@frozen said:

@cloudguy: GamerGate showed that it's far from fine. Unethical practices, agenda pushing and shitting on their own readerbase made me lose faith in it. YouTube gaming will probably replace the gaming media anyway.

Oh and they are so much more ethical?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:y

Oh and they are so much more ethical?

YouTube gamers are more accountable to their fans, unlike yellow journalists.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Will there be some changes made to the Comic Vine in general or will be there plans for it to be in another company's hands?

Many things we have been accustomed to doing no longer exist for one and it has made me speculate if the site will be overhauled or done away with completely. I hope the latter isn't the case.

Still a fun site despite some complaints and am curious what the announcements will be for 2016.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Just as long as they don't mess with ComicVine or CBS attempts a merger like IGN and Ziff Davis did with their sites.

This

Avatar image for deactivated-57e74f13d1b9c
deactivated-57e74f13d1b9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There is barely anyone on Gamespot anymore, the forums are completely dead, 3 days to get 1 reply even on General Discussion. The maximum amount of online people on Gamespot is like 18 and that's during peak times, the rest of the time its under 10.

WraithTDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Really unhappy that my old Gamespot name has taken over my Comic Vine name. The Gamespot name was game-oriented, and even then it was an abbreviation of my original Gamespot name which I lost due to an account screwup. Linking accounts is fine, but forcing me to change my name is pretty crappy.