Comic Book Writers blocking fans from their twitter page

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Have you guys ever try to contact your favorite comic book writers about anything that either relates to their work or other comic books titles that they might have worked on in the past? But you never get a response from them respectively or they just block you from either their Twitter account or they personal website? Sometimes, I find it rude when some writers or artists never reply to a fan question relating to the comics titles that they'll working on or their opinions on other related characters. For example, I once asked Charles Soule a few questions relating to the She-Hulk as to whether or not Spider-Man would make an appearance, as well as my opinion regarding their potential friendship. He replied by saying that he can't legally look at fan ideas, even though I only ask if Spider-Man would be making a guest appearance or not. I asked him about his personal opinion as to whether he thought if Jennifer Walters and Peter Parker would be very good friends based on the fact that they were both social outcast growing up and how they used their superhero persona to display their respective inner confidence. The only thing that I got was a complete block from his Twitter account. I felt so dejected from that experience as to how rude some of these writers can be as to whether or not some of them are even willing to talk to fans about their favorite characters.
Let me know if you have had a similar experience with a writer who just blow you off when all you were asking is questions relating to their work...
And on a recent note, I was blocked by Mark Waid on his Twitter account when I asked him a few questions on his run on Amazing Spider-Man. Never responded, nor did he gave me a warning before blocking me. From that point, I have avoided all of his published series run. When a person uses a public forum like Twitter to promote they stuff, they should expect a potential consumer to ask questions. Not block them for asking a question that relates to their work...
magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By magnetic_eye

@darthfury78:

I can't say I have had that experience, other than some dumb stuff said on here with Dan Slott. I shut my Twitter account about 3 years ago and I hardly use Facebook anymore unless I'm overseas. I'm just too busy interacting face to face with real people. Comicvine is one of very few websites I regularly visit these days.

It's really strange behaviour that some writers resort to blocking fans for simply asking a question. Fair enough if a fan hurls abuse, but if it's a genuine question, then there is no need to be an arrogant egotistical prick about it. It's called social media for a reason, perhaps some writers are so full of their own self importance, they don't have the social etiquette or people skills to socialize beyond their exclusive peer group.

As a somewhat ambiguous analogy, it's interesting to note that in the fields of professional audio, film & video, manufacturers of pro equipment welcome the design ideas and input of customers to make their products better. Customer relations and respect is a two way street and the end result benefits both manufacturer and user. It's of little wonder then that comic book sales are as low as they are when creators spurn fans and as a result they leave in droves.

That would certainly be a strong motive for me to never buy their product again, regardless of how good or bad the writing is.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't have a twitter account, but it's full of trolls and complainers...and that's all I ever got, I'd shut it down/block people also. If it's like most of the net, it's not really "input", it's a bitch and moan fest.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't blame them with the amount of fans who are complete morons and whiners.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you're someone who's well known and you've never used the block button....you're either an idiot or so apathetic you're a legend.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@leo-343 said:

A smart move. Fans can be rabid psychos.

No Caption Provided

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been ignored but I don't think I've been blocked.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By jumpstart55
  1. Twitter is full of trolls Keyboards warriors and Mousepad Mobsters.
  2. There is really nothing more annoying then a over hyped moronic Comic Fan which twitter is infested with.
RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

A smart move. Fans can be rabid psychos.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I've never had a writer block me, though I have had my questions go unanswered from time to time. It can sting when it's a question you REALLY want answered, but it's best not to take it personally.

Whether or not I condemn a writer for blocking a fan for asking questions is largely situational because some fans can cross the line with regard to their questioning. Sometimes their inquiries may make the writers uncomfortable or a user spams the feed with questions, or a fan seems to be looking for a fight rather than an actual discussion. Should the writers take to blocking certain users for specific offenses, I won't put them on trial.

In the OP's case, if you have multiple writers blocking you, then you might want to look inward at what you're doing that may have led them to block you.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had a writer block me, though I have had my questions go unanswered from time to time. It can sting when it's a question you REALLY want answered, but it's best not to take it personally.

Whether or not I condemn a writer for blocking a fan for asking questions is largely situational because some fans can cross the line with regard to their questioning. Sometimes their inquiries may make the writers uncomfortable or a user spams the feed with questions, or a fan seems to be looking for a fight rather than an actual discussion. Should the writers take to blocking certain users for specific offenses, I won't put them on trial.

In the OP's case, if you have multiple writers blocking you, then you might want to look inward at what you're doing that may have led them to block you.

I asked the writers questions relating to their prior work or the characters they are currently working on. I have never asked them about the stories that they are writing about nor do I give them any suggestions about improving on them as I am not their Editor. I have never asked the writer questions that are inappropriate. It would be nice gesture to let a potential buyer know that they do not like to answer fan related questions regarding their work instead of blocking them without warning. Afterall, they are in the business to sell books for their publisher. When they take the time to answer a related question regarding their work, it sometimes could become a potential sale for their books.