Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Who Should Die in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron?'

• 91 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Who Should Die in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron?' (422 votes)

Iron Man 19%
Thor 2%
Hulk 3%
Captain America 7%
Black Widow 11%
Hawkeye 12%
Nick Fury 9%
Scarlet Witch 2%
Quicksilver 2%
Maria Hill 3%
None of them should die 22%
All of them because I'm pure evil 8%

Joss Whedon is a very talented man who does a lot of things right... and one of those things is completely shattering our hearts by abruptly killing characters we've grown to love. Could that happen to us when the the sequel to The Avengers lands in 2015? Entertainment Weekly wanted to know and asked the director/writer if a Marvel character will bite the dust. Naturally, he wouldn't spoil the surprise and bluntly say yes, but there's no real reason to rule out the possibility, is there?

“I’m always joking about that. Um…maybe? But I’d have to have a really good reason, a really great sequence for [Marvel executives] to go, ‘We’ll cut off a potential franchise, that’s fine!’ They know as any good studio does, that without some stakes, some real danger, how involved can we get? We don’t just rule it out across the board, but neither is the mission statement ‘Who can we kill?’ We try to build the story organically and go, ‘How hard can we make it on these people?’ You go to the movies to see people you love suffer-that’s why you go to the movies.”

Now, this of course isn't confirming someone will die in the film, but if Whedon is indeed going to take a character's life, who would you want it to be and why? Who do you think will have the most meaningful and emotional end? Or, are you simply voting for someone because you just don't like them (if so, harsh)? After casting your vote, be sure to get your elaboration on below.

Voting remains open until Thursday morning (ET). Shortly afterwards, a new feature with the poll results and more will hit the homepage, so be sure to check back then!

Source: ComicBook.com

• 
Kraya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I could imagine Iron Man dying. I don't want that to happen, but I can imagine him "sacrificing himself" to defeat Ultron. That said I'd actually prefer if none of them died.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel mean because I voted for Black Widow, but I just really wasn't a fan of her character in the movie :(

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye or Black Widow just because it makes the most sense in the realm of films. Minor enough to not be a huge blow to the film franchise, worthy enough to make weak people cry in theater seats (like, they are one degree above Agent Coulson). Both are played by actors who I can't see would play these roles for an extended time either.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Posted this on the Main Article:

To be honest, if Whedon wanted to really have the character's death make an impact it should probably be Nick Fury.

He's the one that put them all together from the beginning. Ultron would be dumb not to go for the backbone of the team.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Will they come back like in comics?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No more deaths, honestly, for my taste.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

None. Coulson's death in Avengers made sense with the story and worked out perfectly, but just killing characters off for the sake of "shock factor" is unneeded and unwanted.

emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they choose to kill someone, Black Widow makes the most sense. She is the only character that I don't see going much beyond the Avenger movies. Not spin-off material IMHO.

anthonygiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. There's many stories that can be told by each character. They have years and years of history. Why kill them off for shock-value?

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man. RDJr's contract is up anyway. I mean, we could bring in a new Iron Man? or a new character to take up his slot.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Ooooo

Ultron should die :D

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man would be the best choice...he will be Ultron's creator, plus it's the smoothest possible exit for RDJ, and we won't have to worry about a second-rate replacement.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez, no one cares about Black Widow. If she's one of the minor characters, why would her death really matter in the film? It wouldn't affect movie watchers or the team as much. I say Thor since he's a powerhouse, and well, he has returned from the dead before. Seeing a god be killed will just shake up the team and really make them believe that anything can be possible. Plus, I kind of would like to see Captain America pick up Mjolnir and avenge him (he is one of the worthy). It would set up things nicely for the cinematic universe and really make this feeling of a hole or person missing. Honestly I think he's the only real one to make sense since his death will have an impact.

The only other choice I see is Nick Fury and they just play it off as an LMD and bring him back later.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Hawkeye. Never was big on him to be honest.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I don't think any of them should die, simply because they'd sort of need to be around for future movies. But if one were to die, I wouldn't mind seeing Iron Man bow out, something tells me Marvel is prepping to give RDJ the boot soon (Or RDJ just decides to leave), so they'll either need to replace him or kill him.

Lestenya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's only one clear choice here, Scarlet Witch. I say kill her off early so she can never use her crazy powers to completely destroy reality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By queenfrost_

Hm. Doesn't surprise me the majority voted Black Widow over Hawkeye.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Tony Stark should die. He creates Ultron, and sacrifices his life to defeat him, concluding the franchise that started the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then we can get an new trilogy staring Rhodey. It would be great if tony pulls a comic book resurrection in phase 3 though.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron man- should give some of the minor characters more time in the limelight imo.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mightypug78

Black widow all the way, she's nothing but sex appeal in the films so her not being in future films is just fine.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Kill Iron Man, I'm sick off him

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow. Just eye candy.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man. I think RDJ does a good job as Iron Man but I'm not an Iron Man fan. I just don't dig the character.

This has nothing to do with deaths but if in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, if he turns Bucky to the light side of the force instead of killing him off (hopefully), it would be awesome to see him in the Avengers movie.

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jean199999

Voted for Nick Fury.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By leokearon

Why bother it will just be a fake death, like Agent Coulson

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron-Man, Captain America and Hawkeye would probably be my best guesses and the most logical choices.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

All of them except Scarlet Witch, she brings them back using her reality bending powers.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By nappystr8

How about no one? Can we just kill no one for once?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Maybe Iron Man will die after what we saw in Iron Man 3 but I prefer if Clint or Natasha just get killed off.I don't care for both and they don't entertain me much in the movies.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I like how the last option has 9%.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RustyRoy

Scarlet Witch

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black widow all the way, she's nothing but sex appeal in the films so her not being in future films is just fine.

And what did Hawkeye contribute? Widow had a much bigger presence. I cringe at the fact that Widow is higher than Hawkeye on this poll.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow should go, she wasn't an original Avenger anyway. The character is okay, but not on the big scream with that team. It'd be nice to see Janet Van Dym/Wasp and Carol Danvers instead of her. Let her die to give higher tier female characters a chance on the big screen.

powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm...well since iron man creates ultron, maybe it would be neat if he has to give his life to destroy the monster he created, like maybe he has to use up all the energy from his arch reactor to blow ultron to bits, but ends up finally succumbing to the shrapnel in his heart? I think it would also work with Robert downey jr not doing more iron man movies

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@tomchu said:

Iron Man. RDJr's contract is up anyway. I mean, we could bring in a new Iron Man? or a new character to take up his slot.

@equonox said:

Iron Man would be the best choice...he will be Ultron's creator, plus it's the smoothest possible exit for RDJ, and we won't have to worry about a second-rate replacement.

RDJ is signed for 2 more movies. He won't die until the 3rd one if he does.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By obscurefan

I don't think any of them should die because death has become such a lazy way of striking an emotional cord with audiences in both comics and movies over the past few years. You take a character we've become attached to and kill them, and of course we're going to feel bad about it. I mean sure it can work, in fact I think Coulson's "death" in the last one worked very well for that film and served a purpose, but just flat out saying "Hey folks someone is going to die" isn't the right way to go about it.

...However, if they do have to kill someone, I know that Chris Evans has said he doesn't want to keep playing Captain America, and we do now have the Winter Soldier coming into the next film, so I could easily see them going the whole Winter Soldier becomes Cap for the sequels approach.

nigravirum1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nigravirum1

Okay so here are my thoughts about this... I honestly dont want any of them to die, but if i had to choose one, Hawkeye would make the most sense. Think about it:

Iron Man = Downey makes the movie so they aren't going to kill him YET (yes i do believe eventually they will).

Thor = Killing the God of Thunder wouldn't make any sense at all.

Hulk = It has already been mentioned that Hulk won't be in this movie as much as the last movie, so doubtful that they will kill him in the 2 minutes or so that Hulk is in it.

Captain America = That would violate his contract because Evans signed on for 3 Avengers movies and 3 Captain America movies.

Black Widow = Whedon wouldn't be dumb enough to jeopardize the sex appeal to Avengers (sorry if that sounded sexist).

Nick Fury = He's the leader of S.H.I.E.L.D., which has its own show about to kick off. Even though he wont be in it, they still won't kill him.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver = Both of these characters are just now being introduced and although they are separate companies, they are also gonna be in X-men: DOFP so it won't happen.

Maria Hill = She's one of the stars of the new S.H.I.E.L.D. show... won't happen.

And finally, my choice, Hawkeye. Think about it, hes the obvious choice. He's not in any new shows. His death would impact the entire team, and the character isn't the star of the team. He's the only one that makes sense to me. Simple as that.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

None of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't want anyone to die, but I think Cap could have the most meaningful death. Call is cliche, but the soldier barging in last minute, saving his team mate from danger, and it resulting in his death would make the most sense. It'd inspire the rest of the Avengers to unite and win the final battle. I would also like to see Cap pass the mantle of leader over to Iron Man just before he dies.

However, I'd rather that was a last film thing if it was going to happen. And it'd need to make sense.

tquinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd choose Iron Man only because eventually RDJ will stop playing him and it would be better to end it with him. All other actors, although talent, are replaceable in their roles, so their characters can keep going on for ages (james bond style)

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i only choose all of them because i wont quicksilver & scarlet witch to die the most they dont need to be in this film and from the original cast ill say hawkeye and black widow because then they run out of ammo they really have nothing else to do

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't think anyone should die, it's not a necessary element to make a good movie.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu said:

100% agreed

kcvic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye then the scarlet witch can bring him back...death in superhero movies are dumb

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Kerrigan

Black Widow should go, she wasn't an original Avenger anyway. The character is okay, but not on the big scream with that team. It'd be nice to see Janet Van Dym/Wasp and Carol Danvers instead of her. Let her die to give higher tier female characters a chance on the big screen.

Cap and Hawkeye aren't original Avengers, either. That said, I'd prefer Danvers too. But Whedon does like his martial arts ladies, so Widow's probably safe.

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor... hate to see it. But isn't he supposed to die cause that's who he is?

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GREGalicious

None should die. If you want to start rotating team members just have someone "retire" for personal reasons. Simple.