Civil War II #0

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It all starts here. Civil War II sets the stage and introduces the key characters for the story. Two new Inhumans are born and one of them has unspeakable powers.

Civil War #0 is a phenomenal place for brand new readers to jump on. You may know know a lot about these characters and their history, but writer Brian Michael Bendis does a stellar job at introducing who these characters are and what they're all about throughout this opening issue. He does so in a way that keeps regular readers engaged with the book.

Bendis opens the book with She-Hulk in the midst of a trial, defending The Jester. It's refreshing to be reminded that while she is a superhero, that isn't her only job. She's a lawyer and what seems like to be a darn good, passionate one, even if she doesn't win the case. What we get to experience here is downtime.

There's also some big moments for James Rhodes who feels like he's been on Marvel's backburner for years. Without spoiling anything, he has a huge decision to make which will alter the character in new and interesting ways.

Olivier Coipel and Justin Ponsor take on the art for this book, and it's downright beautiful. Ponsor's colors add a gritty realism to the overall issue while still making it feel like you're reading a comic book. Coipel's work feels stoic and completely fitting for an event of this size. His work is consistent and engaging. This is what you want your event books to look like.

The problem with the issue is that it feels a little jumpy. The issue tries to pack a lot into this introductory issue. The issue deals with She-Hulk, James Rhodes, Carol Danvers, and two new Inhumans. Each of these characters, mainly the well-established Marvel heroes, are dealing with some major moments, and while all of it is compelling storytelling, the endings to said scenes feel a bit abrupt at times. It's not a huge hindrance on the overall appeal of the book. It's simply a small bump in the road.

In addition, there's no Iron Man here.Considering he's a major component to this story, it's bizarre he's not included in the #0 issue.

This is a fantastic start to this Marvel event. This #0 issue does a fine job at setting up the main players for the book, except for Iron Man, and it delivers a pretty interesting story. We have some idea of where this is all headed, but we don't have all the answers, so we're hooked in. The art is completely fitting for something of this magnitude and this is a book you need to check out this week.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I hope this event turns out good. It obviously feels contrived upon initially hearing of it, so I hope it plays out naturally.

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Doc Samson is back from the dead....and why? Typical Bendis bullshit. Im not going to waste more money for this event.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

So far so good. Let's see how this event shakes out.

Avatar image for mightyscrublord
MightyScrublord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goellterator: I definitely agree with you on that one but maybe she does the ol' switcheroo in the event

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Ultron finally shows up!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mark_Stephen

To be totally honest even if I could afford I probably wouldn't like it. Hero fighting hero is about as original and out of the ordinary as a cloudy day in November. Plus in their greed they slapped the five buck price on it and the issue would have to be really fantastic to be worth it.

Jen as a lawyer is only as good as the writer needs her to be. Slott wrote her as an idiot in the first cw. At least we can be sure that unlike the aftermath of this event Carol probably won't trick Jen into bed and then dump her in New Jersey to sulk and do nothing.

ianbareilles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's starting off great so far at least but that's the thing with bendis a lot of his crossovers he's written start really strongly then they kinda fall apart half way through so far at least with issue zero everyone from Carol to Jennifer are reasonable in how they're portrayed and written no authoritarian fascist bs llike the first civil war because in a lot of ways that's sadly how many great characters like tony and Carol and Jennifer were written as and portrayed as it was really hard to like it to defend it to justify it.

But so far it's great I just hope Carol will continue to be written and portrayed in the way she currently is it's hard to say like the idea of wanting to stop tragedy before it can happen is a good one but then people will think you're doing unjust things by arresting someone before the tragedy can happen and it's like a slippery slope....

I'll just say this not just as a fan of the character but as someone who likes to see both sides I'm just not ready to condemn Carol as bad until we really start seeing it.

ianbareilles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's starting off great so far at least but that's the thing with bendis a lot of his crossovers he's written start really strongly then they kinda fall apart half way through so far at least with issue zero everyone from Carol to Jennifer are reasonable in how they're portrayed and written no authoritarian fascist bs llike the first civil war because in a lot of ways that's sadly how many great characters like tony and Carol and Jennifer were written as and portrayed as it was really hard to like it to defend it to justify it.

But so far it's great I just hope Carol will continue to be written and portrayed in the way she currently is it's hard to say like the idea of wanting to stop tragedy before it can happen is a good one but then people will think you're doing unjust things by arresting someone before the tragedy can happen and it's like a slippery slope....

I'll just say this not just as a fan of the character but as someone who likes to see both sides I'm just not ready to condemn Carol as bad until we really start seeing it.

With that said if she hulk really does die I'll be legitimately sad she's like my second all time favorite marvel character...

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great issue I thought Jen defended the guy really well. Kind of makes the side it seems she picks a bit strange though.

Yes, I agree and to have Jen lose. What she said made PERFECT sense why did they rule guilty?? Anyway I feel for Jen she seemed really Pissed.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Can someone please explain why or how Doc Samson is alive and back from the dead?! I mean, honestly, he's been dead since World War Hulks! Seriously? Marvel depowers and sidelines great characters Skaar, Red Hulk, A-Bomb and Red She-Hulk... but Doc Samson gets a pass and is allowed to come back from the dead with no explanation at all?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yeah this event is Bendis writing for Bendis where all the rules are changed and characters act only in ways to suit his story and nothing how they normally are written.

Sorry Marvel I want nothing to do with this and a 0 issue did nothing to change that. I hate that every book will be interrupted and tie in to this for the next few months.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KnightofSteel

Solid issue. As usual Bendis nails the character moments. And Coipel's artwork is pretty fantastic. A lot of set up going on but a lot of momentum storywise as well. Promising stuff!

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no delusions about this event. It is a cash grab. With that being said I thought this issue was FANTASTIC! Vintage Bendis at his best. It gets 5 stars from me and has me looking forward to the rest of the event. Hopefully it stays strong.

The one criticism of "The problem with the issue is that it feels a little jumpy. The issue tries to pack a lot into this introductory issue", I disagree with. I thought it had just the right amount of setup. Generally some of these Event books try to pack TOO much in to certain issues and then have other issues that feel pointless. Yes Iron Man was absent but I don't think he was needed just yet.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ducey13
@greenscar1990 said:

Can someone please explain why or how Doc Samson is alive and back from the dead?! I mean, honestly, he's been dead since World War Hulks! Seriously? Marvel depowers and sidelines great characters Skaar, Red Hulk, A-Bomb and Red She-Hulk... but Doc Samson gets a pass and is allowed to come back from the dead with no explanation at all?

That would be my one criticism of the book, although it really has no impact on the overall story of CIVIL WAR. All too often writers want to use a character that another writer has kill off and they don't take the time to come up with a proper resurrection explanation. They just throw out a snarky remark like "I was dead. I got better". It's frustrating and lazy. Now, CIVIL WAR 0 probably wasn't the right time or place to divulge into Sampson's return. It would have been out of place and taken up crucial real estate (possibly an entire page or two), plus it's not pertinent to the matter at hand. Now will anyone revisit this matter later and give us that proper explanation? That remains to be seen. I think Marvel should return to the days of DEAD MEANS DEAD for a period of time and stop with all the lazy ill-written deaths and resurrections.

My one explanation for why Sampson is alive is the whole Secret Wars, 8 month gap, recreation of the Multiverse business. It stand to reason that not everything will be the same in the Marvel Prime Universe as it was in the 616 Universe. Reed and Franklin could have made any changes they liked including bringing certain people back who were dead in the old universe.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

war machine was good

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im staying away from this...

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Civil War 2 over yet?

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin said:

Is Civil War 2 over yet?

*Pats you on the Back* Almost my friend almost.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With that said if she hulk really does die I'll be legitimately sad she's like my second all time favorite marvel character...

I don't know, some time spent dead is sometimes good for a character. It's not permanent after all, it's more like a vacation.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

That's what I wondered.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990 said:

That's what I wondered.

Don't worry, I bet they will justify it with ''Oh Franklin's dream when he recreated things was with Doc Samson alive...so he is ! '' Or someother crap happened during the 8 months in the beginning.

Either way, this event, ever since its announcement sounded awful. It is a sad repeat of a bad concept. To divide the already divided hero-world. I mean I can't see 2 teams working together at least once without getting into some kind of fight or arguement. All the while, aside from the usual big bad, villains tend to be more united and care for eachother than freaking HEROES ! HOW THE HELL DOES THAT WORK ?!

I won't even look at the people and their picking sides on the whole deal because Bendis will probably fit characters into his own agenda compared to what the Characters would ACTUALLY do.

My only hope is, I hope after this event, we can get rid of the whole awful '' PREDICT THE FUTURE'' crap for a while. From Spiderman to X-men to Inhumans... there are so many ''future'' storylines happened already and we are just in the first year of the Reboot...and none of it matters since you literally cannot predict the next writer's story, let alone the next year or 10 years so why bother writing about the future when you can barely deal with the present ?

Thats why I never understand Future storylines unless you are so dedicated and will not waver from that plan for like 5 years and in comic business..that means stagnation and huge drop on sales. Or worse, another reboot.

So yea, Civil War 2...will be a waste of time and awful drama that we don't need.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Bendis written gimmicky cash grab is gonna tank.

jeanvaljean11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By jeanvaljean11

Well art is beautifull and I just love Coipel for it. The story is good so far but I learnt not to get too excited by good events beginning 'cause lately Marvel have a huge problem with keeping a good quality for the whole thing. Too bad Coipel came by only for one number cause his art really make everything a lot better.

So it's good but to be honest I'd really love to see some brand new and big danger for Earth whan watch heroes bit up each other again. What next? New Secret Invasion??

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@gmanfromheck: Yea, given this and how weak death actually is in comics (the X-men gave Kurt a coming back from the dead party didn't they?) I find it difficult to feel anything if they plan to kill She-hulk or anyone else off. If the writers don't even pay attention to the death of a character past a few issues why should I?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 owie  Moderator

@wowlock said:
@gmanfromheck said:
@greenscar1990 said:

That's what I wondered.

Don't worry, I bet they will justify it with ''Oh Franklin's dream when he recreated things was with Doc Samson alive...so he is ! '' Or someother crap happened during the 8 months in the beginning.

Yeah, I see the multiversal re-creation as the excuse for all kinds of changes and resurrection. As just one example, not only was Miles Morales and most of his social world brought into 616, but his mom was resurrected. And, while we would assume everyone killed during the actual Secret Wars would be resurrected, that's also the case with some people who died before the 616 and 1610 incursion--for instance, Black Widow and Spider-Woman died in a crash not long before the incursion. So I think it's a get-out-of-death-free pass for everyone. So Samson being alive is probably par for the course.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The new Marvel event kicks off here!"

......Is that a threat?

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers