Character Talk # 1 Moon Knight

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By Decoy Elite

Right, hello everyone it's me, Decoy Elite the ultimate distraction, once again bringing you a new weekly RT rip-off. The focus of this one? Characters.

And today's character is Marvel's very own Batman rip-off non-powered(sometimes) hero Moon Knight.

Essential Moon Knight #3
Essential Moon Knight #3

But first let's have our talkers introduce themselves.

Illum: Illuminatus here. I've read a hodgepodge of Moon Knight books, and have really started becoming an obsessed fanboy of sorts when it comes to Mr. Spector.

K4tz: *breaks into the thread*

Hello, I'm your friendly neighborhood k4tzm4n. I'm a big fan of the one they call Moon Knight. I've read a good deal of classic ongoings and have read all of his modern runs (2006 one should have survived, damn it!). However, I haven't read past issue 2 of Bendis's take on the character. That's likely because the drastic change in his mental state upsets me and, like illuminatus, I'm a fanboy. But, I'm sure we'll dive into that shortly.

IV: Oh, hi there. I didn't hear you come in. I didn't hear you kill my security guard. You're mighty obsessed. I'm InnerVenom123. Hi there.

06 MK should have stuck. The first arc of Vengeance never got a follow up. For shame.

Q1: What about Moon Knight makes him work as a hero and a character?

IV: I've only read the 06 run, so it's how he's an underdog but keeps fighting no matter what.

Illum: I think it has quite a bit to do with his life as a whole. Marc hasn't lived an easy one, similar to many superheroes, and I believe that it helps the reader connect with him as a character and a hero on several levels. Also, he's incredibly unique in the sense that, for some time, he utilized both his military training/technology, and his mystical abilities. I always found that interesting, and would appreciate it if a competent writer could develop a story where he finds a new source of power.

K4tz: What doesn't work for him? He has a decent origin story, the cash to provide an interesting arsenal and equipment, a fairly unique side cast and his developments over the years have always kept me entertained, despite lacking of a significant rogues gallery (which is actually rather essential for me since I tend to like villains more). He's far from one dimensional and it has showed over the years. While I'm personally not a fan of the direction Bendis is taking, it just goes to support that Spector has enough in his history and personality to dig into and provide solid content.

Q2: Right, so k4tz mentioned the direction Bendis is taking Moon Knight, what's are your opinions on that?

Illum: It's just ridiculous. Why even incorporate such an asinine idea into a character who already has enough trouble keeping his books on the shelves? Normally, I would say, "Sure, add to Marc's mental instability. Just don't try to capitalize on it by giving him the personalities of Marvel's three biggest heroes at the moment." Bendis needs to hand the character over to Rememder for damage control, in my opinion.

Bendis's Moon Knight idea seems oddly familiar...
Bendis's Moon Knight idea seems oddly familiar...

IV: The new direction is a bit insulting to the character. "You're not good enough to sell without Avengers in the book." Not to mention it's a gimmick and just lame writing. Also Moon Knight isn't actually crazy.

K4tz: As someone who has regularly defended Marc's mental state, I can't say I'm very pleased with the direction I've seen so far. Originally Marc created the personalities for a tactical advantage. One to obtain information on the street level and another as a cover for how he obtained such wealth (as a mercenary). Jumping between identities did take a toll on his mind, but he was always in control. The worst mental state I saw was in West Coast Avengers, and even then he told the different personalities in his head to shut up and he was in total control of them. I don't recall him ever legitimately thinking he was someone else (aside from the 3), and so far I haven't seen any explanation as to why Marc's mental health went off the deep end. Honestly, I think they just want the stereotype of "Marc is flat-out crazy" to be accepted. I'd be more than happy to have Bendis prove me wrong and later provide a reason as to why he's gone coo coo for Cocoa Puffs, though.

Q3: Well since the overall opinion of Bendis's stuff is low, what stuff would you all recommend people who want to get into Moon Knight read(Runs or even specific stories)?

K4tz: First and foremost, I'm sure everyone will recommend the 2006 ongoing. It's excellent stuff and consists of some of the most watershed events in Marc's life. However, many who are limited to this suffer the "MARC WILL TAKE HITS THEN CUT OFF YOUR FACE" mindset. He's not just some brutal anti-hero, and I'd advise reading the first two "essential" collections Marvel created. This way they can get a look at his earliest stories and how he was established before diving into the awesomely violent and dark 06 series.

Illum: I have to agree with k4tz. The 2006 ongoing is unquestionably brilliant, and it is part of the reason why I'm so fascinated with the character. However, I do think one needs to be prepared for the level of grittiness the material exudes.

IV: Basically what K4 said. In 06, sh*t gets real.

Illum: Also, check out InnerVenom's Moon Knight fan-fiction.

Q4: Assuming Bendis gets his claws off Moon Knight, where would you like the to see writers go with the character?

Illum: I would love to see Remender or Brubaker legitimately tackle the character. A government-enlistment storyline by Remender would be interesting, or perhaps a return of Khonshu written by Brubaker. I've always thought that Marc finding a new "Moon-god" would be interesting as well.

IV: I really want Marc to just wake up, and for things to be set back up in the brilliant status quo that VOTMK established with its first arc. All the crappy tie ins, the Deadpool issues, none of that happened. Avenger-man was a bad dream Marc had after eating too much spicy food. That's just me. Because that first arc of VOTMK was absolutely brilliant and I wish it had a proper follow up instead of the.... less than par stuff that followed.

K4tz: Two words: Mike Benson. The man wrote #14-30 of the 2006 run and the character really took off under his pen (well, keyboard). He proved he can write a variety of cameos well (laced with characters in the 06 run, also wrote a variety of individuals in Suicide Kings). Honestly, I don't care where he takes the character as long as it's done with respect to his history and of course, written well. I have faith Benson could accomplish that.

Alright, one last question. Q5: What, if any, character would you like to see Moon Knight team up with or fight?

IV: He needs to team up with The Punisher. They've crossed paths, but really, that's all. And it's a damn shame. I also liked how the 06 version of Khonshu pined over Punisher, since he would have been a better avatar. But at the same time, they paid homage to Ennis's "voice"(Or "The Tyger") from "Born", by saying "Alas... he belongs to another". Really cool stuff.

And he needs to fight Bushman again.

Something tells me Bush Man is not a fan of IV's idea.
Something tells me Bush Man is not a fan of IV's idea.

Illum: I would like to see a sudden team-up with current T'Challa. I think their fighting styles would blend well together, and they operate in a similar fashion.

K4tz:Team Up: Cardiac, Hawkeye, Punisher (despite seeing this a few times), Daredevil, Prowler, Black Panther

Fight: Crossbones, Taskmaster (just kidding :P ), Gladiator (DD foe), Batroc, Chance, Scorcher, Paladin, Solo, Kingpin

Alright great info guys, I'm sure we'll be getting Moon Knight fan boys in no time!

Anyway, say goodbye to the folks at home.

IV: Now that I've answered your questions... get out of my house. You monster.

K4tz: Thanks for having the patience to suffer through this read and hopefully a few of you learned something or are now inspired to go read more of Moon Knight's history!

Illum: Goodbye, folks at home. And don't forget, if you want to be awesome like me, all you have to do is play hopscotch in the middle of a highway!

(ED: We here at Character Talk are at fault for any damage caused by listening to our discussions.)

IV: ....

*Grabs chalk and a rock*

Challenge accepted, Illuminatus. Challenge accepted.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Yay!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Illuminatus said:

Yay!
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Bah. Last one was better... It had me in it =P

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Hopefully Bendis sees this.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Illuminatus said:

We'll be assassinated die in horrible accidents if he does.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Lol this is cool and I agree with every body's sentiments on Moon Knight. Should do Aquaman next.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@InnerVenom123 said:

@Illuminatus said:

And then he'll "find" your MK scripts...
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Illuminatus said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Illuminatus said:

And then he'll "find" your MK scripts...

And take all my ideas. And then his run will be a lot better received. Trolololololol..

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Dreadmaster

Love this one! :-)

<------Still Moon Knight fanboy.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The lack of conversation here is most disturbing.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Decoy Elite

@k4tzm4n said:

It was my Batman rip-off joke. Ruined everything.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Decoy Elite said:

@k4tzm4n said:

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Decoy Elite said:

@k4tzm4n said:

I knew you'd somehow mess this up. >:/

But really, awesome idea and all. =P If you ever do one about Venom, invite the hell outta me.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

I don't believe I ever thanked you for the invite, Decoy. Hopefully, you'll invite me to the next Character Talk.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Illuminatus said:

I don't believe I ever thanked you for the invite, Decoy. Hopefully, you'll invite me to the next Character Talk.

If you like Animal Man, then sure.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Decoy Elite: Is it about Animal Man in general, or just DCnU Animal Man?

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Decoy Elite said:

@Illuminatus said:

If you like Animal Man, then sure.

I know nothing about him, and haven't read his new ongoing. Who are you doing after that?
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Decoy Elite

@InnerVenom123: In general.

@Illuminatus: Don't know. But it will be a non-Marvel/DC character.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Decoy Elite: *Crosses fingers in hope of a Sandman-related character*
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Decoy Elite: I'm only familiar with the DCnU version. Drat.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Illuminatus: On one hand, Vertigo sort of counts as DC, on the other Sandman is awesome.

@InnerVenom123: Long as you're a fan you can be involved. You don't need to be an expert.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Decoy Elite: Oh. Yay!

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Decoy Elite: Not really. Still, I think you should consider doing a Vertigo character.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Saren

@Illuminatus said:

@Decoy Elite: Not really. Still, I think you should consider doing a Vertigo character.

Seconded. Do Constantine or Death or Dream or Swamp Thing or Spider Jerusalem or Agent Graves or....there are so many great ones to pick from.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@CitizenBane said:

@Illuminatus said:

Seconded. Do Constantine or Death or Dream or Swamp Thing or Spider Jerusalem or Agent Graves or....there are so many great ones to pick from.

Constantine would certainly spark interesting discussions. Ditto any character from Sandman.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Decoy Elite

@CitizenBane said:

@Illuminatus said:

I'll probably do Dream, as I actually read Sandman.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Saren

@Decoy Elite said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Illuminatus said:

I want in if you're doing Dream!

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@CitizenBane said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Illuminatus said:

I want in if you're doing Dream!

Me too!
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Decoy Elite

Well at least CT#3 will be easy to set up. XD

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By DanialCarroll
RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RainEffect
@Decoy Elite: Great series idea, mate! I'd definitely subscribe to this if I could.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Danial79: For some reason, i just feel enormous potential for Stained Glass Scarlet.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DanialCarroll

@dreadmaster said:

@Danial79: For some reason, i just feel enormous potential for Stained Glass Scarlet.

Ha! Me too! I thought I was the only one who could see it :)

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Danial79 said:

@dreadmaster said:

Ha! Me too! I thought I was the only one who could see it :)

It's just getting a writer to get fascinated with adding her more to the story that's the problem, she could fit in as a side character very well in my opinion.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: Wow, the photo on stained glass scarlet's character page looks like alex maleev drew it. Bill sienkiewicz is awesome.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Danial79 said:

@Decoy Elite said:

K4tz: ... despite lacking of a significant rogues gallery (which is actually rather essential for me since I tend to like villains more).

What, Werewolf by Night, Midnight, Morpheus, Randall Spector, Black Spectre, The Profile, Bushman, and Stained Glass Scarlet aren't good enough for you? :)

Bushman is lame and regularly got wrecked (although their latest fight and first fight ruled). Werewolf by Night isn't unique to him. Midnight sucked and only became cool when he was upgraded and took on MK/Spider-Man/others. Black Spectre rules, Randall was lame because he kept coming back from the dead. Morpheus I liked but he was hardly used. And, you forgot Deadzone.

But in comparison to the likes of DD, Cap, Wolverine, Spider-Man, etc... yeah, his gallery sucks :P

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DanialCarroll

@k4tzm4n: I'd say that's due more to exposure than the character's themselves. Daredevil's had >2000 issues to develop his villains, whereas Moon Knight has had 600 (most of which weren't even his own titles) and new writer's choose new villains instead of going back to an old one and trying to flesh them out. You have to think, those ones you labelled as "lame" are only like that because they've been written that way ;)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Danial79: Sure, Moon Knight isn't an A lister but that doesn't mean they couldn't come up with good villains. I love Black Spectre (seeing as I made the respect thread for him) and Deadzone (made his entire cv page), but overall his gallery is filled with crap like Master Sniper, Arsenal, and others who were poorly treated / never properly utilized. And since it looks like Bendis is taking him in a whole new direction, I question if we'll see any return.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DanialCarroll
@k4tzm4n Arsenal and that we're nothing more that villain-of-the-week throwaway characters to me. As for the rest, I don't think any are inherently terrible characters. They've just been poorly written/handled. If Bendis hadn't completely ignored MK's past, I'm sure he could have brought them back from obscurity.
CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By CainPanell

Dude great job!

If you EVER Have one about any of the Watchmen or Damian or Nightcrawler....

You Know who to call.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#41  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@InnerVenom123: I vote to spotlight some Image characters
marco_spectro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By marco_spectro

i always have high hopes for Marc Spector/Moon Knight.

They cancelled a Taskmaster series with a lead character who had a tony stark goatee and a shitty entourage tv show. Marvel must lose money on comics.. i can only see this writing pushing readers away to other forms of more thought out entertainment.

no one asked me but i believe an angle would be take it back to the werewolf bite. marc spector was wearing silver armour - it gave gives him supernatural abilities without a lycanthrope mutation . the personality disorder arose from a series of traumatic events. The Lycanthrope virus caused depersonalization and hallucinations (Khonshu is a justification for returning from the dead). Marc Spector is very intelligent. Have him grounded in a urban supernatural setting taking on werewolf street gangs, lesbian draculas, f_ck even have him punch out a few mummies that storm the set of his TV show. DO NOT REBOOT. REFINE. it can and must be done - BATMAN had a dog!

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PikminMania

@Decoy Elite:

In the future, give me a PM if you are doing a Spider-man, Batman, or Watchmen character. Especially Spider-man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

HOW COULD I FORGET TO COMMENT ON THIS!

Anywhazzit, I saw this yesterday (A little late, sorry about the bump) and said to myself: "Hey, I'm a Moon Knight fan, there are other Moon Knight fans! I'm not alone. THANK GOD!" Seeing this was amazing.

It also gave me an idea for my own Moon Knight fan fic. :P

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Superguy0009e

said this before, we need Tony Daniels to work on a MK book(maybe draw it as well), and if they could, i think Jonathan Lau should draw it

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Zomboid

I wanna start reading Moon Knight, he seems like a character I'd love. I can't find Moon Knight: The Bottom tpb (beginning of the 06 series) anywhere though, is it out of print?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By InnerVenom123
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Maleev's art on the current series is really starting to grow on me.