Hello all so last year I got into comics with the New 52 and I am after some five or so series to read each month plus some arcs to read. My history with comics is watching the DCAU growing up and recently re watch it. I have also watched X Men evolution and the original X men carton. My current pull list is Justice League Super girl Batman Batman and Robbin Teen Titans Any help would be greatly Appreciated I will also buy my comics on my iPad as there are no comic book stores were I live Thanks in Advance time lord.
I personally like DC comics more, but I do have a few Marvel favorites. The number 1 thing i recommend you read is the new Scarlet Spider series. I really like it. If you really like Batman like comics I would say the best Marvel equivalent is Punisher Max. I never thought the Punisher was very cool until I started reading this series and realized how wrong I was. Another suggestion, read Avengers Vs. X-Men so you can be up to speed on whats happening in the Marvel universe and then you can read the two titles that resulted after the events of AvX, All New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers. I have enjoyed both of them so far. Hope you find something you like!
In no particular order, here is my list of current favorites:
- Thor: God of Thunder - Marvel NOW release on Thor. So far the story is really good.
- Journey in to Mystery - Currently running Sif as it's main character, she's awesome.
- Avengers Assemble - One of my favorite Avengers books now that Kelly Sue DeConnick has taken over.
- Captain Marvel - All about Ms. Marvel, another one by DeConnick
- X-Factor - One of the best X-Men books there are, but it doesn't deal with the 'main' X-Men. Rather, it is a mutant detective agency of sorts.
- Uncanny X-Force (TPBs) - These are simply a must. Some don't agree, but I think they are few and far between. Remender did phenomenal with his run.
Captain Marvel: the art is really good and the first arc is neat
Thor: God of Thunder: has duel story lines per issue (through # 2 anyway) and is surprisingly well written
Punisher War Zone: Rucka is involved enough said
And I know it's not Marvel but you should also check out Conan the Barbarian by Brian Wood
Captain America, Rick Remender is killing it so far (only 2 issues) and JRJr.s art is really superb, IMO
Thor: God of Thunder, as others have said is really interesting.
Captain Marvel, DeConnick is killing it.
Uncanny Avengers, another Remender comic. It's shaping up to be very interesting.
Journey in to Mystery - Currently running Sif as it's main character, she's awesome.
Really? That's cool I'll have to check that out.
Thank you all for some good recommendations is the AvsX comicsolgy for 80 is that complete or do I have to hunt around for side issues?
Just buy the AvX Collected edition physically, not digitally. You can find it in pretty common stores like Barnes and Noble. Your best bet is to get it from Amazon for only $45! (that's where my mom bought it for me, I got it today as a Christmas present.) Other places have the price slashed as well. The $90 or $80 default factory price is a rip-off.
The book has All 12 issues of the main series, issues #1-6 of Avegers vs X-Men: Versus (basically just a rumble book where usually one Avenger and one X-Man duke it out) and Avengers vs X-Men: Infinite #1, #6, and #10. This is all you really need (except maybe AvX: Consequences), the other tie-ins are really just to tie up loose threads that pertain to other series but aren't very consequential in long run. Just think of this book as your prologue to Marvel NOW! Speaking of which, that's a great segue to list my favorite Marvel series out right now:
- All New X-Men
- Uncanny Avengers
Those two are the main books leading off of AvX
- Hawkeye (favorite Marvel ongoing series. I'd never been a fan until this beauty came in to my life. Matt Fraction is killing it. Next issue is #7 but each issue is pretty self-contained. There more like individual stories except for issues #4 and #5 which is a two-part story.)
- Indestructible Hulk (My favorite Marvel NOW! series so far, and that's saying something because it's only 2 issues in.)
- Avengers (good so far, pretty much a must have)
- Amazing Spider-Man #698-700 and Avenging Spider-Man #15.1(These are history in the making. They are must buys. The status quo will be drastically changed. It's a pretty self contained arc even though it's a story years in the making. But when they reference something that you're ignorant to, not only is it few and far between, but they usually explain it anyway. These comics will get you ready for the new Superior Spider-man series debuting next month, which will of course not be starring Peter Parker anymore. Not to mention that Avenging Spider-Man #15.1is a perfect jumping on point because it's just an epilogue to ASM #700 as well as some Doc-Oc origin stories, and then issue #16 has a whole new creative team and a whole new Spider-Man! Both of these comics come out later today 12/26/12)
- Daredevil will be joining the Marvel NOW! initiative with issue #23 which makes it a perfect jumping-on point. Excellent comic
Hope I didn't overwhelm you with choices. Oh, and welcome to ComicVine!
Please Log In to post.