BvS Lex Luthor vs Civl War Helmut Zemo: Who was more like their comic book counterpart?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll BvS Lex Luthor vs Civl War Helmut Zemo: Who was more like their comic book counterpart? (11 votes)

Jesse Luthor 36%
Daniel Zemo 45%
Luthor's plan was better 36%
Zemo's plan was better 64%

Edit: had to delete previous thread, forgot to allow for multiple choice.

Who do you think was more like their comic version?

Bonus: Which villain had the better plan (both were successful to an extent)

• 
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Guys, can we stop beating this dead horse already?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@heatforce: I just keep seeing threads about Lex and CBM villains which then turn into Lex bashing threads.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I couldn't find any threads specifically asking which one was more like their comicbook versions, which I think will provide a challenge since both were nothing like their traditional versions from the comics. The bonus question is probably irrelevant (admittedly) but now comicvine won’t let me edit them away lol. I keep getting "Woops! Something has happened and we're working on it."

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Zemo was less different than Luthor was.

2) Zemo's plan was less absurd. I love Civil War, I really do, but his plan was crazy. His whole plan rested upon Captain America choosing to blindly follow his best friend, despite thinking that he's a terrorist, and Captain America successfully recruiting a team of Avengers to fight with him, despite thinking Bucky is a terrorist, and Iron Man still holding a grudge over Bucky for something he did while under mind control.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Lex.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Lex wasn't too different from his regular, modern interpretations except in his initial appearance, size, and "mental state" through parts of the movie. The appearance was fixed after his head was shaved. His size, albeit a little disappointing that he's only 5'9 and skinny, isn't too important. Some people insist that he has to be as physically domineering as Superman, but that's just a product of the animated series. Yes, they were popular, but physical presence does not Luthor make. His spazzy mental state is what hurt the character the most though. Every time he spazzed out, whether it be actually spazzing or "mmhmmm", just made me shake my head.....they were so close in giving us a great Luthor. The most important core concepts were there, and when Jesse monologued, or committed petty, cruel acts, I could see a great Lex shining through...then he spazzes out :/ However, the spazz attacks didn't kill the character for me. It was an unfortunate superficial choice, but the core is what's most important to me. 7/10 adaptation.
  2. I know nothing about comic Zemo tbh. However, the character in CW was forgettable and seemed cliche. He wanted to break up the Avengers because....his family died in Slovakia? It just seemed cliche as hell....IIRC, even the Russo bros said he was written to be nothing like his comic counterpart.
  3. Both plans have gaping plot holes. What if Doomsday killed Superman? What if Iron-Man and Cap talked it out beforehand?
Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Lex wasn't too different from his regular, modern interpretations except in his initial appearance, size, and "mental state" through parts of the movie. The appearance was fixed after his head was shaved. His size, albeit a little disappointing that he's only 5'9 and skinny, isn't too important. Some people insist that he has to be as physically domineering as Superman, but that's just a product of the animated series. Yes, they were popular, but physical presence does not Luthor make. His spazzy mental state is what hurt the character the most though. Every time he spazzed out, whether it be actually spazzing or "mmhmmm", just made me shake my head.....they were so close in giving us a great Luthor. The most important core concepts were there, and when Jesse monologued, or committed petty, cruel acts, I could see a great Lex shining through...then he spazzes out :/ However, the spazz attacks didn't kill the character for me. It was an unfortunate superficial choice, but the core is what's most important to me. 7/10 adaptation.
  2. I know nothing about comic Zemo tbh. However, the character in CW was forgettable and seemed cliche. He wanted to break up the Avengers because....his family died in Slovakia? It just seemed cliche as hell....IIRC, even the Russo bros said he was written to be nothing like his comic counterpart.
  3. Both plans have gaping plot holes. What if Doomsday killed Superman? What if Iron-Man and Cap talked it out beforehand?

I assumed Lex thought he could control doomsday because he specifically says:

Lex: An ancient Kryptonian deformity; blood of my blood, born to destroy you!... Your Doomsday.

Almost like he considered doomsday his spawn. Plus the way he lowered Zod's body into the water and sated "You flew too close to the sun. Now look at you." You can tell Lex sympathized with Zod. True, it could have been developed better.

The one thing I wished Zemo didn't do was kill the other winter soldiers. That would have closed the plot hole i.e. had ironman and Cap talked beforehand the winter soldiers would have been Zemo’s plan B.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex: An ancient Kryptonian deformity; blood of my blood, born to destroy you!... Your Doomsday.

Almost like he considered doomsday his spawn. Plus the way he lowered Zod's body into the water and sated "You flew too close to the sun. Now look at you." You can tell Lex sympathized with Zod. True, it could have been developed better.

The one thing I wished Zemo didn't do was kill the other winter soldiers. That would have closed the plot hole i.e. had ironman and Cap talked beforehand the winter soldiers would have been Zemo’s plan B.

That's kind of a stretch....it wouldn't have been too hard just to include a more explicit line detailing his assumed control of Doomsday. As it is now, it's just a plot hole. It happens, not a big deal in the long run.

What would the Winter Soldiers have done? It still seems like a plot hole either way....

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce said:

That's kind of a stretch....it wouldn't have been too hard just to include a more explicit line detailing his assumed control of Doomsday. As it is now, it's just a plot hole. It happens, not a big deal in the long run.

What would the Winter Soldiers have done? It still seems like a plot hole either way....

The winter soldiers were pretty cool IMO. But that aside had tony and cap worked together it would have made Zemo seem more... careful? I guess what I'm saying is killing the winter soilders made no sense, they could have been better utilized by Zemo.