Best Stuff in Comics This Week: 6-27-16

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Every week, we take a look at some of the most bizarre, exciting, and downright unique things to happen in comics. Check out our choices of the strange and wacky things that shouldn't be overlooked from this week's releases.

There may be some tiny spoilers ahead.

Deadpool vs. Gambit #1

Best Dirty Dancing Reference

No Caption Provided

The comic may be about Deadpool and Gambit, but we're treated to a flashback from a previous encounter the two had involving Spider-Man and Daredevil. You'll have to see what happens in order to believe it.

Harley Quinn #29

Best Reaction to Seeing Giant Transforming Robo-Suits

No Caption Provided

Harley Quinn lives a pretty colorful life. Even so, it's not everyday she encounters giant transforming vehicles. There really isn't much else you could say in this situation.

Uncanny Avengers #10

Best Ghostbusters Reference

No Caption Provided

Hank Pym has returned. When Janet Van Dyne sees him, she makes a Ghostbusters reference. Strangely enough, Hank doesn't seem to get it.

Best Half-Life 3 Reference

No Caption Provided

The Human Torch decides he's going to take advantage of being on a team with a time-traveler. Because Cable has spent so much time in the future, he decides to ask him an important question. Deadpool happens to be walking by and assumes it's the question many of us want the answer to.

Adventure Cat and Action Bug #4

Best Jean Grey/Phoenix Homage

No Caption Provided

Is this the end of Adorable Cat? After she gets attacked and thrown into the ocean, she's reborn in a fashion very reminiscent to 1980's The X-Men # 101. Bonus points for the comment that she's wearing "villain colors."

Nighthawk #2

Best Alternative to a Giant Bat-Signal

No Caption Provided

It's convenient for Commissioner Gordon to have the Bat-Signal whenever he needs Batman's help. The problem is, it's pretty big and let's the entire city know Batman is being called. In the Marvel Universe, Nighthawk gave a burner phone to a detective if he decided he wanted to contact him for help.

Wonder Woman #1

Best "Don't Mess With Me" Stare

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman is on a mission. She's determined to find out some answers to the lies in her life. In order to get some of those answers, she needs to seek out a certain person. Getting to the person won't be easy, and Wonder Woman offers to make it less painful for who might try to stop her.

Gwenpool #3

Best Explanation Why Gwenpool's Costume Doesn't Include Pants

No Caption Provided

Gwen Poole is a fairly new character in the Marvel Universe. Some have wondered: How come she doesn't have pants? We find out there is a reason, and it has to do with the particular shade of pink she wants for her costume.

Best Reason to Have a Pen if you Talk to Yourself

No Caption Provided

MODOK has his hands full running his evil mercenary business. He has a tendency to talk to himself when making plans. This is something that might be frowned upon so he makes sure he has a pen recorder to make people think he's really dictating his thoughts.

Archie #9

Best Alternative to Wine Glasses

No Caption Provided

Veronica Lodge is trying to adjust to the different lifestyle Archie and his family have. When helping to set up for dinner, she looks for wine glasses. Instead, she finds a Josie and the Pussycats collectible glass.

James Bond #7

Best Reason to Avoid Joking With Your Boss

No Caption Provided

Some people will never learn. It's bad enough to willingly work for someone with evil intentions, this guy makes a joke about his boss' disfigured face. At first, he takes it pretty well and seems to have some respect for the boldness. Shortly after, the boss partially tears off the guy's head.

Best Commentary on Guns in America

No Caption Provided

James Bond is on a mission. After picking up an agent, he is to discard his weapons and move to an extraction point. James simply tosses the gun into the garbage bin and makes a comment about how easily guns can be acquired in America.

Teen Titans #21

Most Unexpected Place to See Memes

No Caption Provided

Memes can be found almost everywhere. You really have to wonder what characters like Sinestro or Joker would think of these.

Grumpy Cat and Pokey #5

Best Observation About the Internet

No Caption Provided

Grumpy Cat and Pokey gain access to the Internet. They figure this is their way to get the answers to any question. They also discover there is a large amount of cat pictures and videos. This makes them assume humans worship cats. Taking over the world shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Power Man and Iron Fist #5

Best Kanye West Reference

No Caption Provided

After Power Man and Iron Fist save a hot dog vender from Manslaughter Marsdale, a local radio disc jockey discusses the events. A listener calls in to tell the story the way he witnessed it and makes a reference to Kanye.

Best Prince Reference

No Caption Provided

In a continuation of the radio talk over an incident involving Power Man and Iron Fist, Marsdale Manslaughter calls in to defend himself. The disc jockey quotes Prince in his reply.

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, don't complain, contribute, especially if you didn't offer any suggestions. Each week you can @reply me on Twitter at @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag #BestStuffInComics. We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to avoid causing anyone any sorrow or any pain--especially if you only want to see them laughing...

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I have to start reading that James Bond comic.

Avatar image for deactivated-631c3102b31d4
deactivated-631c3102b31d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, don't just leave us hanging, does Half Life 3 release?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold up when did a James Bond comic start ? Who is the publisher I need to read this !?

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JamesSpiring

Uh, that was Ms Marvel 7. This week's Issue 8 is a Civil War II tie-in.

EDIT: I see it's been removed now.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point, I can't help but feel a Buzzfeed effect when comics talk about politics. They're just doing it to get attention, and taking the approach most popular with their sphere of influence. A good commentary would look at both sides, though, so this doesn't fit the list description.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

At this point, I can't help but feel a Buzzfeed effect when comics talk about politics. They're just doing it to get attention, and taking the approach most popular with their sphere of influence. A good commentary would look at both sides, though, so this doesn't fit the list description.

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those wholl ask: Yes, Gwenpool is a waste of money.

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By staphin

teen Titans was pretty funny

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goellterator: they are just trying to ride on harley quinn success

damikinat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I now have even more respect and love for Deadpool.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spitfirepanda said:

He's a Brit, it wouldn't make sense for him to make a pro-guns comment.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I'm not up to date on what's going on with Hank Pym. From other comics I read that he died or merged with Ultron. Can someone update me please?

phantom64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those wholl ask: Yes, Gwenpool is a waste of money.

No it isn't. For those who'll ask, read and decide for yourself, instead of listening to a hater.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

@makkyd said:
@blackagar said:
@spitfirepanda said:

A brit who is paid to hunt down and often kill people. The comment is fairly poor. James Bond isn't a super hero, he is a spy, basically a soldier who is supposed to gather intelligence but most of his movies are about him getting laid and shooting/blowing people up

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@mk5: he's currently merged with Ultron.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@z3ro180 said:

Hold up when did a James Bond comic start ? Who is the publisher I need to read this !?

This issue is the beginning of the second arc so the first collection is out. It's by Dynamite and written by Warren Ellis.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@makkyd said:
@blackagar said:
@spitfirepanda said:

A brit who is paid to hunt down and often kill people. The comment is fairly poor. James Bond isn't a super hero, he is a spy, basically a soldier who is supposed to gather intelligence but most of his movies are about him getting laid and shooting/blowing people up

So what? He is a trained professional carrying a weapon as part of his job. That has absolutely nothing to do with civilian gun ownership and gun control. You're talking like people who consider american gun laws lacking demand for all law-enforcement and military to get disarmed, but aside from a handful of nutcases you only find that idea in the argumentation of people opposed to gun control, who bring up professionals trained with firearms, when that has nothing to do with the argument.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Two-Face meme is perfect.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@makkyd said:
@blackagar said:
@spitfirepanda said:

So what? He is a trained professional carrying a weapon as part of his job. That has absolutely nothing to do with civilian gun ownership and gun control. You're talking like people who consider american gun laws lacking demand for all law-enforcement and military to get disarmed, but aside from a handful of nutcases you only find that idea in the argumentation of people opposed to gun control, who bring up professionals trained with firearms, when that has nothing to do with the argument.

I'm referring that it seemed to me more like an in-character comment rather than just a ham fisted attempt on commentary that takes away from the story. There is a stereotype of Americans and guns in Europe so it'd be similar to the usual British character watches American Football and commenting how wimpy they are in comparison to Rugby players etc.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makkyd said:
@stahlflamme said:
@doc-holiday said:
@makkyd said:
@blackagar said:
@spitfirepanda said:

I'm referring that it seemed to me more like an in-character comment rather than just a ham fisted attempt on commentary that takes away from the story. There is a stereotype of Americans and guns in Europe so it'd be similar to the usual British character watches American Football and commenting how wimpy they are in comparison to Rugby players etc.

Maybe but he feels its responsible to throw it in the trash? Where a homeless person could get it or anyone who was watching him?

Regardless of the character saying the line, was the comic written by a Brit or an American, that is what you take into consideration

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Is it just me or does that Wonder Woman art look... Kinda bad?

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

@bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai: I didnt like it either, for the most part is good but Diana's design was inconsistent through the issue having some problems with lips, eyes, hair and body proportions; and what is she doing with her right hand?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mantequilla: No kidding. I'm thinking Carpal tunnel, but it could alsos be a stroke judging by her face.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

@z3ro180: probably a new one since now its pretty much established that the name Bond is a title and not a person, but for the looks I would say is either Sean Connery or Sterling Archer

Soldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shia-la-Booof! Good stuff this week XD

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or does that Wonder Woman art look... Kinda bad?

Nope. It's definitely some of the best art I have seen for quite a while

No Caption Provided

Carlton_Hanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman looks butch. I LIKE butch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion: interesting. Definitely not the best art Ive seen in a while but better for sure. Maybe it's just that one panel.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hey guyth, that guy talkth like Mike Tython!

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai: I didnt like it either, for the most part is good but Diana's design was inconsistent through the issue having some problems with lips, eyes, hair and body proportions; and what is she doing with her right hand?!

I didn't mind the art, but I read that comic. I didn't really find anything noteworthy in it, it was pretty slow and not a lot happened.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Wonder Woman really bored in those pics? That doesn't really look like a 'don't mess with me' look.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@doc-holiday: but wouldn't a paid professional who is specially trained to use guns and constantly has to tackle criminal organizations with significant firepower be all the more pro controlling the sale of guns so that criminals and crazy people couldn't get them? Believe it or not, there are cops who support gun control because they themselves know how dangerous guns are because of the fact that they use them on a daily basis.

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

James bond o.O

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@doc-holiday: but wouldn't a paid professional who is specially trained to use guns and constantly has to tackle criminal organizations with significant firepower be all the more pro controlling the sale of guns so that criminals and crazy people couldn't get them? Believe it or not, there are cops who support gun control because they themselves know how dangerous guns are because of the fact that they use them on a daily basis.

Not sure where people get the idea that I am anti-gun control. I am against the stupid line because it feels like another ham-fisted, SJW style writing like the hundreds of other things we've seen coming out of main stream comics lately.

I am not sitting here saying "Well why can't a guy with severe personality disorders get guns?" or "Maybe he just really wanted to feel safe when he went to that night club".

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mk5 said:

I'm not up to date on what's going on with Hank Pym. From other comics I read that he died or merged with Ultron. Can someone update me please?

In Rage of Ultron Hank Pym and Ultron did merge. Recently, in Uncanny Avengers, Hanktron has appeared. In the issue, it is revealed that Ultron is pulling the strings and seems to be the dominate one at the moment.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@just_sayin: Thanks, especially for the title where it happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-5790531b876c9
deactivated-5790531b876c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying Gwenpool.

EDIT:

No Caption Provided
JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, how did the dude making those memes get those pictures? At least I assume those are pictures, and there isn't fan art of genuine psychopaths in the DC universe.

Ertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So about the James Bond panel, anyone else thought that the quote was exactly like something Archer would say. It probably doesn't help that at least in that panel it strongly resembles him too.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nariaxavor: a rare site this one class ,its a gwenpool fan only 300 hundred are recorded in existence and in fact they will all die out in a few short years time due to their unlivable habitats

truly amazing class