gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

Every week, we take a look at some of the most bizarre, exciting, and downright unique things to happen in comics. Check out our choices below of the strange and wacky things that shouldn't be overlooked from this week's releases.

There may be some tiny spoilers ahead.

Extraordinary X-Men #7

Best Lethal Weapon Reference (Again)

Old Man Logan, Wolverine from the future, has been hanging out with the modern day X-Men. This isn't the first time he's uttered that certain line from the Lethal Weapon movies.

No Caption Provided

It turns out that line has been used in several movies. Check out this NSFW supercut:

Harley Quinn #25

Best Kick

Harley Quinn has no problems taking out anyone that gets in her way. Check out that kick.

No Caption Provided

Power Man and Iron Fist #1

Best Alternative to Foul Language

When you have a kid, several things change. One in particular is the way you express yourself. Luke Cage has had to cut down on using profanity.

No Caption Provided

Robin: Son of Batman #9

Best Collection of Pets

Being the son of a billionaire would have its advantages. Besides getting tons of cool gadgets to fight crime, Damian Wayne also has a great mix of pets.

No Caption Provided

Amazing Spider-Man #8

Best Star Wars Reference

Mister Negative realizes things aren't going according to plan and yells out those famous words, "It's a trap!" We immediately think of Star Wars and turning the page, you find that Spider-Man was thinking of it too.

No Caption Provided

Superman: American Alien #4

Best Quote You Would Expect From Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor is a bit of a jerk. When young Clark Kent asks him for a quote, Lex answers in a way only his arrogance will allow.

No Caption Provided

Best Analysis of Clark Kent

Clark runs into young Dick Grayson. Dick really looks him over and comes to some interesting conclusions for someone he just met.

No Caption Provided

Best and Most Unexpected Dance

Clark Kent is a pretty straight and narrow guy. He rarely does anything spontaneous. When he realized his recording from an interview was still in tact, he broke out into a pretty interesting dance out on the streets.

No Caption Provided

The Mighty Thor #4

Best Use of a Sound FX

In comics, we often see clever ways to use sound FX in the telling of a story. When an outraged Odin smashes his scepter on the floor, he makes a cool crack on the surface.

No Caption Provided

Silver Surfer #2

Best Description of Morning Aromas by an Alien

Silver Surfer has been staying on Earth with Dawn Greenwood. Waking up, he smells that typical morning aroma and has an interesting way to describe it.

No Caption Provided

I Hate Fairyland #5

Best Entrance on a Flying Dragon

Gert has been stuck in Fairyland for nearly 30 years. To make things worse, while she's aged those years, she's still in the body of a child. She's about to unleash her full fury which will lead to some crazy consequences.

No Caption Provided

Martian Manhunter #9

Best David Bowie Reference

When things start getting a little strange outside, John Constantine makes a David Bowie reference to describe what he's seeing.

No Caption Provided

Spider-Woman #4

Best Suspenseful Sequence

Spider-Woman is very pregnant. She's trapped in an alien hospital located in the middle of a black hole with the shape-shifting Skrulls attacking the place. Having an emergency C-section, we're left wondering over the fate of her baby.

No Caption Provided

Best Display of Anger

After delivering her baby, there's still the Skrulls that have to be dealt with. Spider-Woman doesn't get any chance to rest and unleashes her fury upon the aliens.

No Caption Provided

Clean Room #5

Most Disturbing Image

It's been made perfectly clear you don't ever want to go into the Clean Room. Seeing horrors from your past come alive could be rough. Here, we get a pretty disturbing example.

No Caption Provided

Web Warriors #4

Best Awesome Freedom Speech

On a world full of Otto Octaviuses, Spider-Gwen tries to give them a speech declaring they can be free. Despite her efforts, it doesn't go too well.

No Caption Provided

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. Special thanks to @djfanco for his suggestions. If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, don't complain, contribute, especially if you didn't offer any suggestions. Each week you can @reply me on Twitter at @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag #BestStuffInComics. We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to be aware who's around when you break into a "Who's Bad?" dance.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

That scene from Power Man & Iron Fist is just.... just fantastic lol.

Robin: Son of Batman #9 was really great this week. My favorite scene was him checking on Maya.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jestersmiles

you can't have a batcow without a bat chicken, come on now.

Avatar image for deactivated-631c3102b31d4
deactivated-631c3102b31d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Best Kick huh...?

So... Slow week?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Luke's swearing alternatives in Power Man and Iron Fist 1 was the highlight of the issue.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@burningmartian said:

Best Kick huh...?

So... Slow week?

I was thinking the exact same thing

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By apokos7
@captainmarvel4ever said:

@burningmartian said:

Best Kick huh...?

So... Slow week?

It's just the Harley/Deadpool style overexposure of silliness in comics.

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn. Don't know if that issue of American Alien was divisive or not but in my opinion it was some of the best characterization of some major DC characters, Luthor in particular, and that quote was definitely a highlight. His speech about optimism and how pessimism is just "easier" actually had me thinking for well after.

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Jessica had a C-section and then flips through the place killing tons of skrulls? I hope the alien hospital had something better than stitches to close her up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainRex

Well that just proves Spider Woman is still a badass.

Also you can tell that a comic is going down hill when the only thing people find good in it was the sound FX. Its only a matter of time before Thor comes back people, hold onto that hope.

I thought Luke Cage said "Sweet Christmas" cause his grandma hated his cursing. Shed be so disappointed with him.

Bat_SAINT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batcow!!!!!!!

jeanvaljean11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jeanvaljean11

There was so many amazing things in last Mighty Thor...come on! She punched Odin right into his face!

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Can anyone please give me the thumbnail pic? Thanks.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanvaljean11: sorry. I was fighting being sick this weekend and was also covering Long Beach Comic Expo. And as the outro mentions, I'll gladly take suggestions so people don't have to complain.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a scene in Star Wars #16 where Han is gambling with some of the races that were in Force Awakens

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john-ph: I loved the scene where he and Luke had to run. It just didn't quite work as a single image to spotlight here.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Zeeguy91

@captainrex said:

Also you can tell that a comic is going down hill when the only thing people find good in it was the sound FX. Its only a matter of time before Thor comes back people, hold onto that hope.

The amount of stretching here is adorable. Let me guess...you haven't actually read any of this or last volume of Mighty Thor, have you?

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: It's not good though...

I can take the whole new Thor thing pretty well, but when you have to put down all the older characters in the dirt just to glorify your new toy, you know something's wrong.

Huh, this was exact same problem I had with Sentry's first solo. Deja vu.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:

The amount of stretching here is adorable. Let me guess...you haven't actually read any of this or last volume of Mighty Thor, have you?

I have read all volumes. They suck. The writing, the plot, everything is just terrible. Such a shame cause I find the concept very interesting and Jane is a very good character. But the writing they have done for her is just awful.

But I still hold out hope that the quality will improve and Lady Thor will be a character I actually enjoy. But so far Its just a disappointment.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#23  Edited By The Impersonator

That Superman dance reminds me of a certain Marvel movie...Hmmm...

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeeguy91

@burningmartian said:

@zeeguy91: It's not good though...

I can take the whole new Thor thing pretty well, but when you have to put down all the older characters in the dirt just to glorify your new toy, you know something's wrong.

Huh, this was exact same problem I had with Sentry's first solo. Deja vu.

@captainrex said:
@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:

I have read all volumes. They suck. The writing, the plot, everything is just terrible. Such a shame cause I find the concept very interesting and Jane is a very good character. But the writing they have done for her is just awful.

But I still hold out hope that the quality will improve and Lady Thor will be a character I actually enjoy. But so far Its just a disappointment.

That's so funny, cuz I just happened to find this reviews laying around:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/16/the-mighty-thor-1-review-2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/18/the-mighty-thor-4-review-2

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-review/the-mighty-thor-1-marvel-comics

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-review/the-mighty-thor-3-marvel-comics

So, apparently the contention that this volume "sucks" is "isn't good" is definitely up for debate. At least some people (some of whom are actually paid for their opinions on the quality of comic books) believe that the current arc in Might Thor is quite good.

If you guys don't enjoy it, that's your opinion. I'm not going to tell you what to think. But in all honesty, the only thing I see that people see wrong in this comic is that its not Odinson wielding the hammer. And I guess that's a legitimate complaint, but its definitely not something that's taking away from my enjoyment of the title.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Well excuse us for being loyal fans.

Those reviews are simply written by people who are probably paid a $&@& tone of money to say positive things about their work. You can say what you want, but I firmly believe that her story could have been written so much better.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Well excuse us for being loyal fans.

Those reviews are simply written by people who are probably paid a $&@& tone of money to say positive things about their work. You can say what you want, but I firmly believe that her story could have been written so much better.

There's a fine line between loyalty and stubbornness. And seriously? We're gonna start accusing comic book reviewers of taking bribes now?

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no line. Your either loyal or you're not. Simple as that.

There's not accusation about it. It's a simple fact. Everyone has a price. Even you.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zeeguy91

@captainrex said:

There is no line. Your either loyal or you're not. Simple as that.

There's not accusation about it. It's a simple fact. Everyone has a price. Even you.

Okay, at this point, I'm struggling to see the point of your statement. Like, do you honestly believe that you are being "disloyal" to male Thor by reading a comic about lady Thor? That you're somehow betraying a fictional character?

The accusation you're throwing around is that these reviewers would take bribe money to publish favorable reviews. Like, seriously, is it really that hard for you to believe that they actually LIKE what Marvel and Aaron are doing with Thor?

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: I'm simply referring to the writers being disloyal. Taking always Thors worthiness, with no explanation whatsoever. Then having a woman pick up the hammer and just start calling herself Thor.

The Enchantment states "if he be worthy, shall posses the power of Thor." It never stated that they would BE Thor.

When the Frog picked up the hammer, he was Throg. When Bill picked up the hammer, he was Beta Ray Bill. Why all of a sudden when a woman picks up the hammer, she's just Thor now.

It's not being sexist to simply put a female noun in a hero name. She Hulk, Spider Woman, She Thing, Lady Deadpool, Ms Marvel, She Venom. So what's wrong with Lady Thor?

Thor is not a Title to be inherited, it's his actual name. It's like if Harry Potter kept the Elder Wand and started calling himself Dumbledore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Odinson not being the one to wield the hammer isn't my complaint. The fact that the writer has repeatedly lowballed and insulted the legacy of his father just to make his shiny new character look good is my complaint.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but if a third-rate tryhard author repeatedly bashes the characters we have grown up with, I for one, won't read it.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredd_78 said:

So Jessica had a C-section and then flips through the place killing tons of skrulls? I hope the alien hospital had something better than stitches to close her up.

Yes, they have :) it have been (quite) explained... or at least, it have been specified that they can "close" here in few seconds [I don't want to spoil other things]

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: I'm simply referring to the writers being disloyal. Taking always Thors worthiness, with no explanation whatsoever. Then having a woman pick up the hammer and just start calling herself Thor.

The Enchantment states "if he be worthy, shall posses the power of Thor." It never stated that they would BE Thor.

When the Frog picked up the hammer, he was Throg. When Bill picked up the hammer, he was Beta Ray Bill. Why all of a sudden when a woman picks up the hammer, she's just Thor now.

It's not being sexist to simply put a female noun in a hero name. She Hulk, Spider Woman, She Thing, Lady Deadpool, Ms Marvel, She Venom. So what's wrong with Lady Thor?

Thor is not a Title to be inherited, it's his actual name. It's like if Harry Potter kept the Elder Wand and started calling himself Dumbledore.

Disloyal? To a fictional character? Who cares if people are calling her Thor. Its just a name. And you can put a "She" in front of Thor if you want. But Aaron didn't want to and Marvel didn't feel the need to force him. And in the long run, it really doesn't have ANY impact whatsoever on the story. So, yeah, sure it might not make much sense because we all just thought that "Thor" was just his name and not a mantle. But it really just doesn't matter. In the end, it really doesn't impact the quality of the title in the least.

@zeeguy91: Odinson not being the one to wield the hammer isn't my complaint. The fact that the writer has repeatedly lowballed and insulted the legacy of his father just to make his shiny new character look good is my complaint.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but if a third-rate tryhard author repeatedly bashes the characters we have grown up with, I for one, won't read it.

How has he insulted Odin? Sure, he's characterizing Odin as kind of a dick right now, but its definitely not the worst any writer has done to a particular character.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: All I can do is wait until the Real Thor comes back. The sooner Aaron is fired or moves onto a new project, the better. That way someone else can come in and fix this. Make Jane more than a gimmick and a character I can actually enjoy.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: All I can do is wait until the Real Thor comes back. The sooner Aaron is fired or moves onto a new project, the better. That way someone else can come in and fix this. Make Jane more than a gimmick and a character I can actually enjoy.

You're constantly referring to her as a gimmick, but I don't see how this is just a gimmick. Its a story. And Aaron has characterized Jane pretty well throughout. All I see is you just being mad that Odinson isn't the one with the hammer at the moment.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaptainRex

@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:

You're constantly referring to her as a gimmick, but I don't see how this is just a gimmick. Its a story. And Aaron has characterized Jane pretty well throughout. All I see is you just being mad that Odinson isn't the one with the hammer at the moment.

No I am legitimately mad at the way Aaron has written her. Jane being an instant badass with the hammer and fighting Thor to a standstill is total bull. Not to mention in every issue they always address the fact that she's a woman and that either a good thing or a bad thing, which is just annoying.

Im sick and tired of Lady Thor always having the Feminist message branded to her. Its the same story in the SuperGirl series. I would like to see Jane written as a character who is struggling with her new responsibilities, actually have difficulty wielding the hammer. Much like X-23 when she became Wolverine, or Miles Morals when he became Spider Man. I have no complaints about these characters because their evolution was written brilliantly. Jane's story is too forced and too rushed for me to gain anything likeable about her.

Do I prefer Thor with the hammer?.... Yes. But I'm not letting that sway my judgment on what could have been a wonderful evolution of a character. Except I got this. What a waist.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:

No I am legitimately mad at the way Aaron has written her. Jane being an instant badass with the hammer and fighting Thor to a standstill is total bull. Not to mention in every issue they always address the fact that she's a woman and that either a good thing or a bad thing, which is just annoying.

Im sick and tired of Lady Thor always having the Feminist message branded to her. Its the same story in the SuperGirl series. I would like to see Jane written as a character who is struggling with her new responsibilities, actually have difficulty wielding the hammer. Much like X-23 when she became Wolverine, or Miles Morals when he became Spider Man. I have no complaints about these characters because their evolution was written brilliantly. Jane's story is too forced and too rushed for me to gain anything likeable about her.

Do I prefer Thor with the hammer?.... Yes. But I'm not letting that sway my judgment on what could have been a wonderful evolution of a character. Except I got this. What a waist.

Yeah, it really seems like you are. I have yet to see any blatant or cliched feminist message in any of the issues I've read. And Jane has been Thor for a while now. I don't know if she's still at the stage of her superhero career to be having difficulty wielding Mjolnir. Also, how difficult should it BE to wield Mjolnir. Everyone who's picked it up has been able to use it.

Also, if you think she hasn't been given adversity to overcome, then you haven't been reading. What do you call Odin branding her a criminal? What do you call her cancer progressing because every time she uses the hammer, it purges all of the chemo from her system?

It seems that the only "feminist message" that you have a problem with is simply the fact that Jane is the protagonist.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CaptainRex

@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:
@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:

Yeah, it really seems like you are. I have yet to see any blatant or cliched feminist message in any of the issues I've read. And Jane has been Thor for a while now. I don't know if she's still at the stage of her superhero career to be having difficulty wielding Mjolnir. Also, how difficult should it BE to wield Mjolnir. Everyone who's picked it up has been able to use it.

Also, if you think she hasn't been given adversity to overcome, then you haven't been reading. What do you call Odin branding her a criminal? What do you call her cancer progressing because every time she uses the hammer, it purges all of the chemo from her system?

It seems that the only "feminist message" that you have a problem with is simply the fact that Jane is the protagonist.

Did you just zone out in Issue 3? The entire conversation with Jane and Loki is like one Giant Feminist speech. It was subtle but it was still there.

Look Pal, you can live in denial and insult anyone who says different. But I know a good character and a good story when I see it. And I'm getting non of that here. So you can preach your cause to me over and over again, but it will not change my opinion. This run of Lady Thor sucks and it will continue to suck until Aaron is out of the picture.

You don't like what I have to say. Tough.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you just zone out in Issue 3? The entire conversation with Jane and Loki is like one Giant Feminist speech. It was subtle but it was still there.

Look Pal, you can live in denial and insult anyone who says different. But I know a good character and a good story when I see it. And I'm getting non of that here. So you can preach your cause to me over and over again, but it will not change my opinion. This run of Lady Thor sucks and it will continue to suck until Aaron is out of the picture.

(1) Even if it is there, you just admitted that its subtle. So, what's wrong with a little feminism in comics? Especially if its not beating you over the head.

(2) I'm not living in denial of anything. The fact that you don't like it means just that. YOU don't like it. I have pulled out several reviews from people who say different. People who are actually professional reviewers. The general consensus of Jason Aaron's Thor is that, yes, its good. Your opinion is your opinion. And that's fine, but you are not the definitive voice on Thor comics. That is all I'm trying to get you to recognize. So, if you don't like this run, well tough. A lot of people do. And you can disagree with them as much as you want, but it still doesn't make you right and them wrong.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:
@captainrex said:

(1) Even if it is there, you just admitted that its subtle. So, what's wrong with a little feminism in comics? Especially if its not beating you over the head.

(2) I'm not living in denial of anything. The fact that you don't like it means just that. YOU don't like it. I have pulled out several reviews from people who say different. People who are actually professional reviewers. The general consensus of Jason Aaron's Thor is that, yes, its good. Your opinion is your opinion. And that's fine, but you are not the definitive voice on Thor comics. That is all I'm trying to get you to recognize. So, if you don't like this run, well tough. A lot of people do. And you can disagree with them as much as you want, but it still doesn't make you right and them wrong.

Lets just agree to disagree then.

I know they can do better. Good is not Great or Fantastic, so fine.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex: well, actually, they do say it's "great" or "amazing" but whatever.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaptainRex

@zeeguy91 said:

@captainrex: well, actually, they do say it's "great" or "amazing" but whatever.

Thats a word that seems to pop up a lot when an argument is going nowhere. "Whatever"

I guess in the end, there really is no right answer. All we can do is voice our opinions and hope for the best. You make some very good arguments, Even though I disagree with them.

Avatar image for allhailskeletor
AllHailSkeletor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7 said:
@captainmarvel4ever said:

@burningmartian said:

Best Kick huh...?

So... Slow week?

It's just the Harley/Deadpool style overexposure of silliness in comics.

So pretty much garbage.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny cause if anything I would think Jessica Jones would have the swearing problem.