Best Comic Covers of the Week: 12/28/12

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Each week we sift through our pile of new comics and choose our favorite covers, and although this week the pickings were slimmer than usual (courtesy of the Holiday week), there are still plenty of great looking covers from this week.

No Caption Provided

First up is the stunning JUSTICE LEAGUE #15 variant cover by artist Billy Tucci. We see a lot of team book covers that feature all members of the team in very stylized poses, but this one was different. This variant cover is a little bit art-deco, and we thought that was pretty cool. Very well illustrated with beautiful, soft colors, we had to have this one on our list.

== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided

Regardless of how you felt about the story in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700, the one thing we think everyone can agree on are the number of absolutely stunning variant covers by so many different artists for this issue. First is the main cover for the issue by artist, Mr. Garcin, who compiled various images of Spidey to make one big image of his mask. It's really well done and very different from what we're used to seeing.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Next are two variant covers by artist Marcos Martin; one paying homage to the classic comic creator Steve Ditko, and the other that focuses on the person most important in Peter's life, Aunt May. Although both are illustrated by the same artist, they are very different stylistically from one another. Together they demonstrate the full range of Martin's skill and versatility as an artist.

No Caption Provided

Next is the cover to the fourth and final issue of BEFORE WATCHMEN: NITE OWL by Andy Kubert. If this cover is anything it is very much "Kubert." The image is stylized and features some really vivid colors.

What were some of your favorite covers for this week? Be sure to let us know and post them below!

Avatar image for victorvondoom_1
VictorVonDoom_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictorVonDoom_1

Justice League cover is ill.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By judasnixon

There isn't much to pick from this week....

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By noj

LOVE the Justice League variant even though they are running straight into a tidal wave for some reason

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Alchemax_7

Love the Amazing Spider-man covers

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@judasnixon said:

There isn't much to pick from this week....

What I was thinking

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#6  Edited By Cavemold

BATMAN IS KID friendly! you got this right. nice work babs. Next week you start the real test.Will you pass or fail

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Art deco and wood cut. Cool JLA cover. Wish I saw it at my local comic shop. The Ditko tribute is the original cover of Spider-Man, which Marvel didn't feel was dynamic enough or something. So they had Kirby redraw it (pretty sure it was Kirby).

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DonFelipe

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

Last not least... this selection is disappointing because (one of) the best covers of the week is missing...

No Caption Provided

On Alex Ross' website there's a brighter version...

No Caption Provided
iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iaconpoint

As much as I don't like what's going on with Spider-Man, those are some beautiful covers. Always loved that Ditko one and the others are great as well.

Booster_Bronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Booster_Bronze

Pretty sure the Justice League variant's cover was meant to be an homage to The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the famous painting by Hokusai. Great interpretation.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sentryman555

The justice league cover is awesome but is superman supposed to be punching the wave or just flying into it?

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By redmanta

Are My Eyes Playing Tricks on Me is this batman holding a kid to his death by a giant wave

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Icon

@Booster_Bronze said:

Pretty sure the Justice League variant's cover was meant to be an homage to The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the famous painting by Hokusai. Great interpretation.

Good catch!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmashBrawler

I like how Flash is just running straight into the wave. Great plan, Barry.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#15  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

not much this week. I couldn't look away from the main Spiderman cover. so many SPidermansssssssssssss

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheHeat

I love the Spider-Man cover.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cmaprice

@Booster_Bronze said:

yep. came down here to comment. glad it was taken care of.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By modunhanul

I like all of them.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Loki2u

Personally, I think they all suck. Hopefully next week is better

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mucklefluga

@DonFelipe said:

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

I'm guessing Green Lantern isn't on the cover because he quit the Justice League.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DonFelipe

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

I'm guessing Green Lantern isn't on the cover because he quit the Justice League.

Oops. I just picked up JL for the Throne of Atlantis story and didn't really notice GL wasn't in it at all but now that you mention it... he definitely wasn't. :)

Thanks!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mucklefluga

@DonFelipe said:

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

Oops. I just picked up JL for the Throne of Atlantis story and didn't really notice GL wasn't in it at all but now that you mention it... he definitely wasn't. :)

Thanks!

No problem! What a great issue it was! What's surprising tho is that Flash is on the cover but he isn't featured in the main story. Maybe the artist wasn't told that?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DonFelipe

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

Thanks!

No problem! What a great issue it was! What's surprising tho is that Flash is on the cover but he isn't featured in the main story. Maybe the artist wasn't told that?

Flash!!! It's getting embarrassing for me... didn't notice his absence either but I am very sure the others are all featured in the story. Besides, Flash only appears on the JL variant. He's not on any of the regular covers so you're probably right...

Maybe the artist wasn't told that?

At least someone told the artist to leave GL isn't in the League anymore.

Yes, it's an amazing issue. I love the panel with Wonder Woman in high heel/s.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Loki2u

@DonFelipe:

The JL doesn't know where Green Lantern is, as he's presumed dead.

He's trapped with Sinestro in the Dead Zone

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997

All of the ASM covers are awesome.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DonFelipe

@Loki2u said:

@DonFelipe:

The JL doesn't know where Green Lantern is, as he's presumed dead.

He's trapped with Sinestro in the Dead Zone

I assume this happened in GL and not the 10 (or so) issues of JL that I did not read, and Batman liked it?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By sinestro_GL

Big fan of the variant cover from Amazing Spider-Man! I really appreciate the retro look.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Bestostero

i loved the throne of atlantis covers!

badgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By badgame

@DonFelipe: Yup, happened in Green Lantern, not Justice League.

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

cacarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By cacarl

@badgame: Baz is going to be part of JLA.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#31  Edited By fables87

I really like the justice League one.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ScarletBatman

@badgame said:

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

Actually, the new Green Lantern (Simon Baz) is joining the Justice League of America, not the normal Justice League. After the Third Army arc finishes, I wonder which one of the 4 remaining Human Green Lanterns will join the normal JL... Probably Hal but I wouldn't be opposed to John Stewart.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DonFelipe

@ScarletBatman said:

@badgame said:

Actually, the new Green Lantern (Simon Baz) is joining the Justice League of America, not the normal Justice League. After the Third Army arc finishes, I wonder which one of the 4 remaining Human Green Lanterns will join the normal JL... Probably Hal but I wouldn't be opposed to John Stewart.

It makes sense that Baz, the new GL, doesn't immediately join the JL but JL of America. As a new hero and Lantern, he wouldn't fit into the group of existing JL members and just play a very minor role.

Do you guys remember the FCBD New 52 Special and preview to the Trinity War in 2013?

Baz tells Batman something like "You lied to us! All of you!" and everybody seems to be fighting Baz (and Cyborg). It also seems Hal isn't yet back from the Dead Zone or wherever he might be then.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

ASM #700 FTW.

derrickburbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By derrickburbee

Ugh, I want to buy all of the ASM...

badgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By badgame

@DonFelipe: @DonFelipe said:

@ScarletBatman said:

@badgame said:

It makes sense that Baz, the new GL, doesn't immediately join the JL but JL of America. As a new hero and Lantern, he wouldn't fit into the group of existing JL members and just play a very minor role.

Do you guys remember the FCBD New 52 Special and preview to the Trinity War in 2013?

Baz tells Batman something like "You lied to us! All of you!" and everybody seems to be fighting Baz (and Cyborg). It also seems Hal isn't yet back from the Dead Zone or wherever he might be then.

Isn't the new JLA going to be an opposition of the original Justice League? I think they mentioned it was because all characters in the new JLA have in some way had trouble with someone of the original League. (Martian Manhunter flashback fighting the league, Catwoman and batman, Baz fighting the League in green lantern books)

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By DarkChris

I think that ASM cover is actually from Ditko.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ILLO_29

Anyone notice that the Martin cover with the diner isn't numbered 700, the actual one is I have it. The one showed here is 682, 602, something like that I can't quite make it out. I wonder if it was actually a cover that was going to be used for a different issue and wasn't?

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xanthiss

I like how Batman is heading into the water with the kid. If he survives he is the next Robin!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DonFelipe

@ILLO_29 said:

Anyone notice that the Martin cover with the diner isn't numbered 700, the actual one is I have it. The one showed here is 682, 602, something like that I can't quite make it out. I wonder if it was actually a cover that was going to be used for a different issue and wasn't?

According to the editor's twitter it's just a placeholder...

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonFelipe

@badgame said:

@DonFelipe: @DonFelipe said:

@ScarletBatman said:

@badgame said:

Isn't the new JLA going to be an opposition of the original Justice League? I think they mentioned it was because all characters in the new JLA have in some way had trouble with someone of the original League. (Martian Manhunter flashback fighting the league, Catwoman and batman, Baz fighting the League in green lantern books)

Oh, this is getting more and more interesting somehow.

Thanks to everybody being so patient with me. I really need to read a few summaries about the GL or even pick up Baz' run... before picking up the first issue of JLA next year.