Avatar image for no_name_
Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we sift through our pile of new comics and choose our favorite covers, and although this week the pickings were slimmer than usual (courtesy of the Holiday week), there are still plenty of great looking covers from this week.

2775922-justice_league_15_variant2_super_tucci.jpeg

First up is the stunning JUSTICE LEAGUE #15 variant cover by artist Billy Tucci. We see a lot of team book covers that feature all members of the team in very stylized poses, but this one was different. This variant cover is a little bit art-deco, and we thought that was pretty cool. Very well illustrated with beautiful, soft colors, we had to have this one on our list.

== TEASER ==
2775968-garcin.jpg

Regardless of how you felt about the story in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700, the one thing we think everyone can agree on are the number of absolutely stunning variant covers by so many different artists for this issue. First is the main cover for the issue by artist, Mr. Garcin, who compiled various images of Spidey to make one big image of his mask. It's really well done and very different from what we're used to seeing.

2775984-martin12.jpg
2775974-martin.jpg

Next are two variant covers by artist Marcos Martin; one paying homage to the classic comic creator Steve Ditko, and the other that focuses on the person most important in Peter's life, Aunt May. Although both are illustrated by the same artist, they are very different stylistically from one another. Together they demonstrate the full range of Martin's skill and versatility as an artist.

2776000-niteowl.jpeg

Next is the cover to the fourth and final issue of BEFORE WATCHMEN: NITE OWL by Andy Kubert. If this cover is anything it is very much "Kubert." The image is stylized and features some really vivid colors.

What were some of your favorite covers for this week? Be sure to let us know and post them below!

Avatar image for victorvondoom_1
#1 Posted by VictorVonDoom_1 (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League cover is ill.

Avatar image for judasnixon
#2 Posted by judasnixon (10694 posts) - - Show Bio

There isn't much to pick from this week....

Avatar image for noj
#3 Posted by noj (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVE the Justice League variant even though they are running straight into a tidal wave for some reason

Avatar image for alchemax_7
#4 Posted by Alchemax_7 (354 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Amazing Spider-man covers

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
#5 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15330 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

There isn't much to pick from this week....

What I was thinking

Avatar image for cavemold
#6 Posted by Cavemold (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

BATMAN IS KID friendly! you got this right. nice work babs. Next week you start the real test.Will you pass or fail

Avatar image for artisticneedham
#7 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

Art deco and wood cut. Cool JLA cover. Wish I saw it at my local comic shop. The Ditko tribute is the original cover of Spider-Man, which Marvel didn't feel was dynamic enough or something. So they had Kirby redraw it (pretty sure it was Kirby).

Avatar image for donfelipe
#8 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

Last not least... this selection is disappointing because (one of) the best covers of the week is missing...

The Shadow Special #1 (2012) Cover

On Alex Ross' website there's a brighter version...

The Shadow Special #1 (2012) Cover Variant
Avatar image for iaconpoint
#9 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I don't like what's going on with Spider-Man, those are some beautiful covers. Always loved that Ditko one and the others are great as well.

Avatar image for booster_bronze
#10 Posted by Booster_Bronze (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure the Justice League variant's cover was meant to be an homage to The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the famous painting by Hokusai. Great interpretation.

Avatar image for sentryman555
#11 Posted by sentryman555 (883 posts) - - Show Bio

The justice league cover is awesome but is superman supposed to be punching the wave or just flying into it?

Avatar image for redmanta
#12 Posted by redmanta (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Are My Eyes Playing Tricks on Me is this batman holding a kid to his death by a giant wave

Avatar image for icon
#13 Posted by Icon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@Booster_Bronze said:

Pretty sure the Justice League variant's cover was meant to be an homage to The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the famous painting by Hokusai. Great interpretation.

Good catch!

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#14 Posted by SmashBrawler (6032 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Flash is just running straight into the wave. Great plan, Barry.

Avatar image for MadeinBangladesh
#15 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12435 posts) - - Show Bio

not much this week. I couldn't look away from the main Spiderman cover. so many SPidermansssssssssssss

Avatar image for theheat
#16 Posted by TheHeat (686 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Spider-Man cover.

Avatar image for cmaprice
#17 Posted by cmaprice (864 posts) - - Show Bio

@Booster_Bronze said:

Pretty sure the Justice League variant's cover was meant to be an homage to The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the famous painting by Hokusai. Great interpretation.

yep. came down here to comment. glad it was taken care of.

Avatar image for modunhanul
#18 Posted by modunhanul (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I like all of them.

Avatar image for loki2u
#19 Posted by Loki2u (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think they all suck. Hopefully next week is better

Avatar image for mucklefluga
#20 Posted by Mucklefluga (2653 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

I'm guessing Green Lantern isn't on the cover because he quit the Justice League.

Avatar image for donfelipe
#21 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

I'm guessing Green Lantern isn't on the cover because he quit the Justice League.

Oops. I just picked up JL for the Throne of Atlantis story and didn't really notice GL wasn't in it at all but now that you mention it... he definitely wasn't. :)

Thanks!

Avatar image for mucklefluga
#22 Posted by Mucklefluga (2653 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

I'm guessing Green Lantern isn't on the cover because he quit the Justice League.

Oops. I just picked up JL for the Throne of Atlantis story and didn't really notice GL wasn't in it at all but now that you mention it... he definitely wasn't. :)

Thanks!

No problem! What a great issue it was! What's surprising tho is that Flash is on the cover but he isn't featured in the main story. Maybe the artist wasn't told that?

Avatar image for donfelipe
#23 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

@Mucklefluga said:

@DonFelipe said:

The JL variant is cool but why does Batman carry a boy (into the waves), why is there a lion, and where's GL? Is there a hidden joke?

I'm guessing Green Lantern isn't on the cover because he quit the Justice League.

Oops. I just picked up JL for the Throne of Atlantis story and didn't really notice GL wasn't in it at all but now that you mention it... he definitely wasn't. :)

Thanks!

No problem! What a great issue it was! What's surprising tho is that Flash is on the cover but he isn't featured in the main story. Maybe the artist wasn't told that?

Flash!!! It's getting embarrassing for me... didn't notice his absence either but I am very sure the others are all featured in the story. Besides, Flash only appears on the JL variant. He's not on any of the regular covers so you're probably right...

Maybe the artist wasn't told that?

At least someone told the artist to leave GL isn't in the League anymore.

Yes, it's an amazing issue. I love the panel with Wonder Woman in high heel/s.

Avatar image for loki2u
#24 Posted by Loki2u (324 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe:

The JL doesn't know where Green Lantern is, as he's presumed dead.

He's trapped with Sinestro in the Dead Zone

Avatar image for tdk_1997
#25 Posted by TDK_1997 (17078 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the ASM covers are awesome.

Avatar image for donfelipe
#26 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki2u said:

@DonFelipe:

The JL doesn't know where Green Lantern is, as he's presumed dead.

He's trapped with Sinestro in the Dead Zone

I assume this happened in GL and not the 10 (or so) issues of JL that I did not read, and Batman liked it?

Avatar image for sinestro_gl
#27 Posted by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

Big fan of the variant cover from Amazing Spider-Man! I really appreciate the retro look.

Avatar image for bestostero
#28 Posted by Bestostero (5782 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved the throne of atlantis covers!

Avatar image for badgame
#29 Edited by badgame (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe: Yup, happened in Green Lantern, not Justice League.

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

Avatar image for cacarl
#30 Posted by cacarl (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@badgame: Baz is going to be part of JLA.

Avatar image for fables87
#31 Posted by fables87 (1610 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the justice League one.

Avatar image for scarletbatman
#32 Posted by ScarletBatman (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@badgame said:

@DonFelipe: Yup, happened in Green Lantern, not Justice League.

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

Actually, the new Green Lantern (Simon Baz) is joining the Justice League of America, not the normal Justice League. After the Third Army arc finishes, I wonder which one of the 4 remaining Human Green Lanterns will join the normal JL... Probably Hal but I wouldn't be opposed to John Stewart.

Avatar image for donfelipe
#33 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@ScarletBatman said:

@badgame said:

@DonFelipe: Yup, happened in Green Lantern, not Justice League.

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

Actually, the new Green Lantern (Simon Baz) is joining the Justice League of America, not the normal Justice League. After the Third Army arc finishes, I wonder which one of the 4 remaining Human Green Lanterns will join the normal JL... Probably Hal but I wouldn't be opposed to John Stewart.

It makes sense that Baz, the new GL, doesn't immediately join the JL but JL of America. As a new hero and Lantern, he wouldn't fit into the group of existing JL members and just play a very minor role.

Do you guys remember the FCBD New 52 Special and preview to the Trinity War in 2013?

Baz tells Batman something like "You lied to us! All of you!" and everybody seems to be fighting Baz (and Cyborg). It also seems Hal isn't yet back from the Dead Zone or wherever he might be then.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
#34 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM #700 FTW.

Avatar image for derrickburbee
#35 Posted by derrickburbee (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, I want to buy all of the ASM...

Avatar image for badgame
#36 Posted by badgame (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe: @DonFelipe said:

@ScarletBatman said:

@badgame said:

@DonFelipe: Yup, happened in Green Lantern, not Justice League.

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

Actually, the new Green Lantern (Simon Baz) is joining the Justice League of America, not the normal Justice League. After the Third Army arc finishes, I wonder which one of the 4 remaining Human Green Lanterns will join the normal JL... Probably Hal but I wouldn't be opposed to John Stewart.

It makes sense that Baz, the new GL, doesn't immediately join the JL but JL of America. As a new hero and Lantern, he wouldn't fit into the group of existing JL members and just play a very minor role.

Do you guys remember the FCBD New 52 Special and preview to the Trinity War in 2013?

Baz tells Batman something like "You lied to us! All of you!" and everybody seems to be fighting Baz (and Cyborg). It also seems Hal isn't yet back from the Dead Zone or wherever he might be then.

Isn't the new JLA going to be an opposition of the original Justice League? I think they mentioned it was because all characters in the new JLA have in some way had trouble with someone of the original League. (Martian Manhunter flashback fighting the league, Catwoman and batman, Baz fighting the League in green lantern books)

Avatar image for darkchris
#37 Posted by DarkChris (307 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that ASM cover is actually from Ditko.

Avatar image for illo_29
#38 Posted by ILLO_29 (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone notice that the Martin cover with the diner isn't numbered 700, the actual one is I have it. The one showed here is 682, 602, something like that I can't quite make it out. I wonder if it was actually a cover that was going to be used for a different issue and wasn't?

Avatar image for xanthiss
#39 Posted by xanthiss (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Batman is heading into the water with the kid. If he survives he is the next Robin!

Avatar image for donfelipe
#40 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@ILLO_29 said:

Anyone notice that the Martin cover with the diner isn't numbered 700, the actual one is I have it. The one showed here is 682, 602, something like that I can't quite make it out. I wonder if it was actually a cover that was going to be used for a different issue and wasn't?

According to the editor's twitter it's just a placeholder...

Avatar image for donfelipe
#41 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@badgame said:

@DonFelipe: @DonFelipe said:

@ScarletBatman said:

@badgame said:

@DonFelipe: Yup, happened in Green Lantern, not Justice League.

I guess it's just a matter of time before they interpret the new lantern into Justice League but i prefer they don't.

Actually, the new Green Lantern (Simon Baz) is joining the Justice League of America, not the normal Justice League. After the Third Army arc finishes, I wonder which one of the 4 remaining Human Green Lanterns will join the normal JL... Probably Hal but I wouldn't be opposed to John Stewart.

It makes sense that Baz, the new GL, doesn't immediately join the JL but JL of America. As a new hero and Lantern, he wouldn't fit into the group of existing JL members and just play a very minor role.

Do you guys remember the FCBD New 52 Special and preview to the Trinity War in 2013?

Baz tells Batman something like "You lied to us! All of you!" and everybody seems to be fighting Baz (and Cyborg). It also seems Hal isn't yet back from the Dead Zone or wherever he might be then.

Isn't the new JLA going to be an opposition of the original Justice League? I think they mentioned it was because all characters in the new JLA have in some way had trouble with someone of the original League. (Martian Manhunter flashback fighting the league, Catwoman and batman, Baz fighting the League in green lantern books)

Oh, this is getting more and more interesting somehow.

Thanks to everybody being so patient with me. I really need to read a few summaries about the GL or even pick up Baz' run... before picking up the first issue of JLA next year.