• 101 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Welcome to the latest edition of 'Best Battles!' As always, this is the place to be on Friday if you sometimes enjoy seeing your favorite comic characters solve their problems with their fist, feet, claws and laser blasts instead of using their words (unless they're Blackbolt, that is). This week, we're highlighting fights with two indie characters you've probably never heard of before -- they go by the names Wolverine and Batman, I believe -- and visually stunning brawl with Silver Surfer.

Did your favorite melee not get a mention? Well, it's possible we didn't read that issue, so be sure to make suggestions in the official Best Battles Discussion Thread from now on. We review that before writing this weekly feature and do our best to get our hands on the issues suggested!

No Caption Provided

Bruce Wayne vs. Basically all of Norway (Batman #23)

Batman didn't fare too well against the Red Hood Gang in the issue's primary story, but the back-up has a jaw-dropping showing from the hero. We all know Batman can push himself well beyond what most people are capable of, but this is truly impressive -- like, Knightfall levels impressive when it comes to endurance. While continuing his training in Norway, Bruce is thrown into a "deathmatch" and, get this, fights for 28 hours. Not only is he going at it for an absurd amount of time but he continues to knock out everyone who dares to step up to him.

Few can withstand the bat-punch. This man is not one of them.
Few can withstand the bat-punch. This man is not one of them.

Wayne's "teacher" is telling him war requires killing and Wayne's current predicament means it's kill or be killed. Without crossing the line, she claims his enemies will come back time and time again and eventually they'll get the better of him. And unlike him, they won't resist a killing blow. He may win the individual battles, but the war is a whole different story. But if there's one thing you should know about Batman, it's the dude has a pretty strict no kill code. The overwhelming amount of combat has certainly taken a toll on our hero, but he won't stray from his moral path. He keeps on trucking and using non-lethal measures, even as his opponents attempt to take his life with blades.

Seeing Bruce go hand-to-hand is always a pleasure.
Seeing Bruce go hand-to-hand is always a pleasure.

Bruce is given a spear, but he breaks off the bladed part and opts to use what remains as a staff. Despite the overwhelming odds, he still refuses to take lethal measures. More and more opponents go face-to-face with Bruce and with one last scream ("Come on!"), he engages this final group of men. Clearly exhausted, Bruce gives it his all and lays into these chumps, dropping them one by one. One man gets a lucky hit but it's not enough to drop DC's iconic hero. Eventually, only Bruce is standing.

Batman vs. Norway? Answer: Batman.
Batman vs. Norway? Answer: Batman.

After seeing Wayne wipe the floor with so many fighters over such a long period of time, no one else will step up to the plate and challenge him. That's especially good news for Bruce because the dude collapses immediately afterwards. Get some rest, Bruce, because you've certainly earned it .

X-Men vs. Krakoa (Wolverine & The X-Men #34)

Nothing I say could possibly do the following page any kind of justice, so let's just jump right into it, shall we? We'll chat after you've spent a good amount of time gazing at this glorious image. Seriously, just dive right in because this phenomenal sight has left me speechless,

No caption is required because ICEMAN VOLTRON.
No caption is required because ICEMAN VOLTRON.

Okay, ready to move on? Actually, you know what? Go ahead and spend another moment or two to look at that page by Nick Bradshaw and Laura Martin. There's just so much greatness going on in there.

Alright, in case you haven't been following along, Wolverine and his X-Men are attacking Kade Kilgore's Hellfire Academy. Said academy happens to be on Krakoa, a living island. As you can see, Kade plans to defend his base from the X-Men with a slew of these sentient lava spewing (and rather massive) monsters. So, how do you battle monsters like this? If we've learned anything from popular culture, it's by creating our own monsters. In this case, Iceman takes a VERY familiar form for the monster mash. I would have preferred the Megazord but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Elbow rocket? Pshhhh. Eat glacier fist!
Elbow rocket? Pshhhh. Eat glacier fist!

Yes, Bobby slugging a giant lava creature across the face as an ice Voltron is pretty awesome. How can writer Jason Aaron possibly top that? With a Krakoa fastball special to the face, that's how. Be sure to read Wolverine's final line in an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice. You're welcome.

Fastball special 2.0.
Fastball special 2.0.

There's a little more of terrific Iceman-Voltron action to be found in the issue, but we limit each highlight to only three images. What this means is you should go pick up WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #34 if you want to fully appreciate even more of the madness.

Silver Surfer vs. Builder Armada (Infinity: Against The Tide Infinite Comic #1)

Nowhere is safe from Infinity -- not even digital comics. The big event spills into Marvel Infinite, creating a brand new series just for Norrin Radd aka Silver Surfer. The story begins with a Builder Army attacking Hy'lt Minor, laying waste to numerous and completely helpless Skrulls. They're doomed until a certain cosmic character comes to their aid, that is. Can you guess who arrives to save the Skrulls from this formidable armada? I'll give you a hint: his name is somewhat similar to Milver Smurfer.

Silver Surfer brings the double boom.
Silver Surfer brings the double boom.

The former herald of Galactus obliterates a large amount of the invasion fleet with ease but it isn't long before he's forced to engage one in close combat. A vicious battle erupts as a blade slices through Norrin's wrist and then into his shoulder. The Surfer is by no means unarmed either, and calls upon something to turn the tide in his favor ("A WILD WOLVERINE APPEARS!").

Can't think of a good caption... too busy admiring these panels.
Can't think of a good caption... too busy admiring these panels.

Before you see how Norrin survives the encounter (yes, he's victorious, believe it or not!), can we all just take a moment to appreciate Agustin Alessio's breathtaking artwork? All of the work on the environment and extra effects are just icing on this superb looking cake. I'm left totally astonished by Agustin's character work. Anyway, where were we? Oh, right, Norrin called upon his board to even the odds. Does he simply bash the enemy in the face with it or send them flying away? Nope and nope! Prepare to see the best use of a cosmic surfboard since probably ever.

Wow. Just... wow.
Wow. Just... wow.

This new digital series is off to a fantastic start and is absolutely worthy of your $1.99.

This is usually where we dive into the honorable mentions, but if you have a moment or two to spare, I'd like to take a wee bit of extra time to give some much deserved loved to THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #11.

When it comes to the final battle with Gorr, it's actually a pretty brief event -- too brief to serve as a highlight in this feature. Despite that, it was beyond awesome and begs to be shared, so I'm going to provide the most magnificent scene in the quick battle.

Art worthy of a God.
Art worthy of a God.

Honorable Mentions

• Iron Fist's students vs. The White Man
  • Armstrong's fist vs. an alien's head
  • Scarlet Spider vs. Superior Spider-Man vs. Jackal's mutations
  • Etrigran the Demon vs. Giant Army
  • Wolverine vs. Shin Harada's Ninjas
  • Outrider vs. The Inhumans
  • Deadpool vs. Butcher & her goons
  • Harbinger #15 vs. my heart
What were your top 3 fights this week, Viner? Sound off below.
What were your top 3 fights this week, Viner? Sound off below.

Don't forget to make nominations every week in the official thread or tell Gregg via Twitter.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

The Gorr fight isn't really brief if you think about it... combine the trades all together and you get a solid read of an EPIC FIGHT HWAAA!!!

Edit: What about an honourable mention of the Astonishing X-men #65 fight? Iceman vs Iceman?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator
DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

Next time Batman will be fighting all of France.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

2 words: ICEMAN VOLTRON!!!!!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt read any of these, but next week better have XO Manowar vs Eternal Warrior. i know thats gonna be awesome!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Thor: God of Thunder #12's fight was just epic! Thor showed his the god of gods! And that final blast on Gorr was just badass! Incredible issue'!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

Damn, I need to catch up on Wolverine & the X-Men. That looks awesome! The Silver Surfer story looks worth checking out too.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

@k4tzm4n: Oh my bad. Should read first huh =/

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

OK I'll give Infinity credit for one thing. It's made Silver Surfer look like a total boss now since he owns the Builder fleet with ease. I've been waiting for someone to treat the Surfer right and Hickman might just be up to the task. Maybe he could write the Surfer's Marvel Now Phase 2 book?

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I may or may not have shed a single manly tear at the end of Thor god of thunder #11

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Emperorb777

Wait...... Batman fought for 28 hours straight and DC still says he's only peak human GTFO.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait Batman fought for 28 hours straight and DC still says he's only peak human GTFO.

Are you peak human? Can you prove that someone in perfect physical condition can't do that?
I thought not. /smug.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm looks awesome here!

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777 said:

Wait Batman fought for 28 hours straight and DC still says he's only peak human GTFO.

Are you peak human? Can you prove that someone in

perfect physical condition

can't do that?

I thought not. /smug.

WOW, I didn't know Batman was in perfect physical condition learn something new everyday.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777: Always assumed that's what peak human meant. He's the very peak of what a human could be.

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that thinks the opening to this months nightwing was pretty rad? Seemed like a cool fight to me.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: I don't like the word peak human especially when you have enhanced/meta/super humans walking around that are Batman's superiors.

Allluckys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Allluckys

Batman = the maximum of human potential like Captain America but Batman worked for it and didn't use super soldier roids he also happens to have super genius intelligence. He is the embodiment of incredible human feats and something to aspire to a comforting thought if I devoted my entire being to a singular purpose I could be as bad ass as batman.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By saoakden

Does Thor have two hammers????

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man its hard to believe batman is human nowadays

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: Looks like it.

Dual wield mjolnir = awesome.

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: @crimsonlord53: The last few panels of that battle were a sight to behold. Thor does end up dual wielding mjolnir for the final confrontation. Fantastic 11 issue story that would be good to pick up in trade format and is completely worth the buy if you are interested.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Monkey D. Luffy vs. Don Chin Jao

Luffy vs. Don Chin Jao, a clash of haki.
Luffy vs. Don Chin Jao, a clash of haki.

Monkey D. Luffy is still taking part in the tournament on Dressrosa Island. Normally on such a low level character, you'd think Luffy would have this fight well won already, but Don Chin Jao is proving to be a stiff challenge. Like Luffy, he also has the ability to use various forms of Haki.

The weirdest thing about this fight is that Don Chin Jao has been an emotional basket case. Seems Luffy's grandfather Garp took some precious treasure from him in the past. He's trying to kill Luffy in some act of misdirected vengeance. Now that it was also revealed that he ahs something against Rayleigh, I'm wondering if there is anyone he doesn't hold some grudge against.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Obito Uchiha (Ten-Tails Jinchuriki Mode)

Naruto lands a hit on Obito using senjutsu
Naruto lands a hit on Obito using senjutsu

Ever since Obito claimed control over the power of the Ten-Tailed Beast after becoming its Jinchuriki, no one has been able to land a real hit on Obito. His new found ability has given him the powers to pretty much cancel out all ninjutsu targeted at him.

Naruto did find an opening in his defense after he saw Gamakichi's failed attack wasn't canceled out. It would appear that Obito is still vulnerable to senjutsu. Naruto went into Sage Mode and teleported behind Obito, with the help of Tobirama Senju. He nailed Obito with a solid hit from the Ransengan.

The only problem here is that Naruto's time in Sage Mode is limited, and I seriously doubt this one hit will be enough to take out an enemy of this level. Obito isn't likely to let himself fall victim to yet another sneak attack either.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@saoakden: Yep, his own hammer and then his future self's hammer

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

@saoakden said:

Does Thor have two hammers????

He using SkyFather Thor's Hammer

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silver surfer art is really breath taking

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Silver Surfer was probably my favorite of the week.

Secret Avengers had a really good fight in it against the AIM goons.

I agree with Harbinger vs. My Heart.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I should have maybe mentioned MMH vs Dr. Psycho in the nomination thread, but it wasn't much of a battle per se. Funny ending, though.

No Caption Provided

anthonygiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By anthonygiu

The Batman fight was pretty badass.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is literally the first I'm hearing of this Silver Surfer comic. And I just looked and saw it's only 2 bucks, so yeah, a nice little surprise to start my Friday.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Killemall

@lvenger said:

OK I'll give Infinity credit for one thing. It's made Silver Surfer look like a total boss now since he owns the Builder fleet with ease. I've been waiting for someone to treat the Surfer right and Hickman might just be up to the task. Maybe he could write the Surfer's Marvel Now Phase 2 book?

Infinity Against the Tide wasnt written by Hickman though, it was by Jason LaTour.

Hickman will only be writing Infinity main series, and the Avengers and New Avengers, rest are upto different writers.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@immortal777:

Wait...... Batman fought for 28 hours straight and DC still says he's only peak human GTFO.

This. The wanking never ends. Just says he's meta and get it over with, I can only suspend my disbelief for so long.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

The Infinite tie in shows how truly bad ass Surfer is. Taking on Aleph class robots that were giving The Avengers problems alone and kicking ass.

@gritterr: Posted by Gritterr - August 16, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I may or may not have shed a single manly tear at the end of Thor god of thunder #11

Don't feel bad , you're not alone lol.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 owie  Moderator

Heh. Iceman Voltron.

That Surfer art was pretty spectacular. Not really into buying digital-only comics, but maybe....

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By evilvegeta74

2 things, about time we got a glimpse of Thor, would like to see more of him here and Hyperion (Hint) .The other thing I really have an issue with is Bruce Wayne fighting for 28 hrs against various fighters no rest. Bruce Wayne is peek, not Super human at best. Dc writer have went a bit far here, I haven't seen Spiderman fight continuously for 28 hrs straight and he's superhuman. This is gonna be bad in battle forums. This feat is way over the top even for Batman. Let it be known I have nothing against the character,but this is another example of Dc boosting up it's characters.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hel

Just want to give some much deserved love to the 11th issue of Thor God of Thunder. Best read in a long time, just fantatsic!

So Bruce Wayne had a 28 h deathmatch vs. basically all of Norway..... Thank god Jason Aaron didn`t come up with that idea

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"because ICEMAN VOLTRON."

Lykida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Thor Fight was so epic... Just like everything else in this book since it started. Esad Ribic really is worthy of drawing a Thunder God!

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allluckys: Batman is peak human, but Cap is actually above peak human, despite what stats say. He has better physical stat feats than Batman. Batman is still a tad more skilled, though.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Thor and Silver Surfer fights were pretty awesome, but seeing Bruce Wayne kick Norway's @$$ is pretty epic!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman fighting for 28 hrs was ridiculous.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#44  Edited By batmannflash

The Silver Surfer fight was amazing! And Bruce Wayne's fight. Great week for battles!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allluckys: He worked for it and didn't use roids? Right. He used peak human stats, super intelligence ,superior genetics to work past peak human, a fortune to train with all the badasses of the world, and you make a comment to build him up at the expense of another great character? Most times people with Batman's stats would be called Mary Sue's. At any rate, Batman was "given" just as much as Captain America was.

The Super Soldier Serum is a lot more plausible then the origins of Batman's stat level, I'll tell you that much.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DecoyElite
Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did iceman just create an Ice version of voltron

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@decoyelite: That's quite an awesome profile picture you've got that.

WHAT BOOK IS IT FROM?

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@decoyelite: That's quite an awesome profile picture you've got that.

WHAT BOOK IS IT FROM?

My background is better.

No Caption Provided

Can't wait for issue 2!

CaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaseyJones

@k4tzm4n: