Batman #2

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Batman is working with Gotham and Gotham Girl, two new metahumans in Gotham City, and they take on Solomon Grundy. The last issue left readers with their first glimpses of these two new heroes. It made readers wonder whether or not Batman would be working with these characters or trying to assert his dominance in order to claim the city as his territory.It was actually a breath of fresh air to see the hero working with these characters. In addition, some time has passed between issues one and two, so it's already at a point where these characters are familiar with each other.

Scott Snyder is a tough act to follow, and while we have to keep these volumes separate and try not to think about that, it's extremely hard to. However, two issues in, writer Tom King and artist David Finch have already put their stamp on this series. Batman feels a bit colder here. He's more calculating and a bit short with people. It's a Batman who's a lot more over-confident because it feels like he's "seen it all" at this point, and that could partially be his downfall. King really defines who Batman is with the second issue. We saw, in the first issue, the lengths Batman was willing to go to save human lives. This issue defines how he works. His thought process. We get a little bit of the Bruce Wayne/Batman juggling act, but here, Batman is more of a detective more than anything else. However, he's not solving a crime. He's trying to fit all these new pieces into his puzzle.

Finch, inkers Matt Banning and Danny Miki, and colorist Jordie Bellaire are one dynamite team on this book. As we said with issue one, this is Bellaire's best work to date. Her work gives this book the little bit of light it needs to keep it hopeful and to take it out of the dark.In addition, this is some of Finch's best work as well. His panel-to-panel storytelling is on fire here. This is a book you could buy for just the art alone. Luckily, you get a whole lot of good story as well.

King lays out a ton of info in this second issue. There are a lot of different stories being weaved into the world of Batman here. That's a bit where the problem lies. These stories are intriguing, without a doubt, but it's too much to pile on. It becomes a bit overwhelming by the time the reader is finished with the issue. On the bright side, everything being piled on the reader is really good and worthy of its own story. Our only real question is "How can Batman take out Solomon Grundy with a toss, when the two metahumans punching him couldn't do it?" Maybe we're just getting nit-picky.

Batman fans should be pretty excited about this issue. Sure, it does lay down a lot of story, which sometimes can be a tad over-barring, but overall, this second issue does a stellar job at defining who Batman is going to be during King and Finch's run. What really raises the bar is that this has an appeal to both new and old Batman fans. There's never a point where either will feel lost or alienated.This book, thus far, is turning out to be one of the better Rebirth titles. I highly recommend checking this one out.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a feeling that this Batman would break Bane's back.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Flicker

I really like Tom King's voice on Batman. The attention to detail and how Bruce, Alfred, and the supporting cast interacted and dealt with situations felt spot on. It just felt very honest.

Beautiful art, intriguing story. Although I'm not sure what to make of the last portion of the book at this point in the arc.

Overall I agree with Mat's review of the book. While it's too early to compare overall against Snyder's writing, I do like how this book avoids getting "too wordy" and more straight to the point.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Definitely better than the last.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By apokos7

My excitement for this series has been increasing exponentially. Great issue.

My only concern is that the first arc will lead directly to the late September/early October Bat-event to which I'm not entirely sold as of yet and I'd like to skip if possible.

Also it just came to me while reading this, but I'd love for Gotham (or pretty much anyone) to sucker-punch Amanda Waller. She's one of the most annoying, irritating characters ever. General Lane was an unexpected but welcome touch too.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. This Batman has more knowledge and I enjoy listening to his calculatory work . You can sense his obsession when he talks to Alfred. Alfred and Gordon's dialogue were great as well , and the paneling of gordon and his pipe were awesome minor details . Good on Finch .

Also , kings batman reminds me of batman or JL the animated series. It's definitely a different take to Snyder's run, which is cool and I like it. The Solomon Grundy was crazy and did require a tad bit more of suspension of belief but it was still pretty awesome seeing him do that . I'm guessing his weight made the impact hurt bad and batman positioned his foot on Grundy's neck in a fatal manner.

So far , I'm enjoying what Tom King is doing . He's yet to disappoint , well except Robin war lol.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue! DC is really doing a great job with rebirth.

FreedomZebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. Can't wait for the next issue! The art is so good; Grundy looked like a beast, I hope he shows up again.

@apokos7 said:

My only concern is that the first arc will lead directly to the late September/early October Bat-event to which I'm not entirely sold as of yet and I'd like to skip if possible.

I feel the same way. Although, seeing Strange and Waller working together has raised my interest. If they keep it as a sub-plot and I still like what I see I might stick around for the Monster Men. It depends on how involved Waller is. Waller vs. Batman is always a good thing.

And I figured out how Batman avoided Gotham's Ultra-vision. He hid behind them. Seriously, they only looked in front of them.

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Batman not a little bit suspicious of non-kryptonians who can fly, have super strength, and have x-ray vision?

I mean he left these guys alone with Gordon, haha.

Anyway, great issue. I'm looking forward to seeing where this story arc leads.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hugo Strange. I haven't seen him in a Batman story in awhile.

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great issue. As far as the review goes, it was good, but I do not agree with saying that story piles on too many points. It was an easy read and left the readers -at least me- wanting more.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really enjoyed this, felt a bit short, but still very good

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TimeLordScience

I like the way King writes Batman much more than Snyder's. I always felt that Snyder overwrote the character and had him monologue way too much. I feel like we should only get glimpses into a character like Batman's mind, being that he has a brutal intelligence and such unique experiences.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

While I still dont like how he put down Grundy (and nice to see that getting fair share of criticism) I did like how King really set up his run in this issue. I already prefer his Batman voice to Snyder's because like someone else mentioned it's not overwritten and keeps you guessing while also displaying that Batman has intellect greater than most.

I also missed speculating about the arcs, villains and their motivation that Morrison brought to the table but which disappeared during the last few years in favor of a more linear and straightforward style. Nice to see that returning big time in this issue, you really were left wondering "just what the heck is going on?"

JLFan15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who thinks that the inmate Hugo Strange was talking to was Psycho Pirate?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Weaker issue than the previous one but in no means a bad issue. My main problem was the way Batman put Grundy down, but apart from that everything was brilliant in my opinion. King's dialogue is top notch and the way he writers Bruce is incredible. It is noticeable that King understands the characters he is writing and has a grander plan for everything.

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alfred was the MVP in this issue! I really enjoyed his lines. I also really liked seeing that lineup at the end. Excited to see more!

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

great review. great to see Batman in the hands of another great writer like Snyder. it will help everybody forget that crap Morronison was writing.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Arrow

Pretty amazing issue, I still have the same problem with the whole Grundy ordeal but it's great that King can make an interesting story with cool mysteries to resolve. I already think that his style of writing suits Batman better than what Snyder did.

I loved that little Morrison reference he did.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rebirth has been fantastic! This is just accentuating it!

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Liked the issue really interested to see where this goes.

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that this title will be a keeper. It is a bit quirky with BM riding a plane and tossing Grundy.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I gathered, Batman used Grundy's momentum to put him off balance and "fling" him if you will. I thought the issue was fantastic. It definitely feels more in line with Batman: TAS than anything. I absolutely love King's voice for Alfred. Spot on Mr. King.

footix_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay. I wanted to see more about what happened after Gotham saved the plane. I still don't see how they fit. Seriously, how can super-beating not work but tossing a giant zombie just does the trick?