Backstories that make you shake your head?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

Now as most or probably everyone knows, there are a ton of comic characters around. Some are original, some are clones, some are animals, some are aliens, etc, etc you get the point. However...while there are a lot of comic characters, there have been a lot of backstories that 

1. Are completely obvious that a writer, just wants to cash in on the original character. 

2. Characters getting shoe horned in just because 

3. Stories that have no creativity, and just make you shake your head in shame. 

Now there are probably more reasons then that, but what I wanna know is. From you folks, which backstory of any character did you find 

1. Lazy/Uncreative 

or 

2. Cash grabbing 

or 

3. Shoe horned in  

?? Or just add in folks, which backstory made you just go "WHAT WAS THAT!?" 

Now this isn't to hate on any characters per say, I mean without all the characters all original, clones, animals, aliens etc we wouldn't have a huge pile of characters to like/dislike. Though I do know some, MUST find at least ONE backstory that have made them shake their head.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NiKva

I hate origin stories for mysterious characters. Its an obvious easy cash technique, and it takes a lot away from the character.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer
@NiKva said:

I hate origin stories for mysterious characters. Its an obvious easy cash technique, and it takes a lot away from the character.

Ya, unless you started the character with the backstory. Adding it in later, just seems to take away from the character. Any characters though that have started with an origin story, that you found to be ridiculous or lazy?
Manhunter2070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Manhunter2070

maybe this doesn't count because its a retcon, but I hate the new 52 origin for the Phantom Stranger, but I'm conflicted because this on the other hand I'm happy he's getting any exposure at all. I wasn't a fan of the new 52 Catwoman origin either. 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Manhunter2070 said:

maybe this doesn't count because its a retcon, but I hate the new 52 origin for the Phantom Stranger, but I'm conflicted because this on the other hand I'm happy he's getting any exposure at all. I wasn't a fan of the new 52 Catwoman origin either.

The new 52 Phantom Stranger is an abomination. You are right to hate it. One of the worst decisions DC has ever made, along with letting Johns write Justice League.

Older comics, even those made to cash-in on character popularity, are mostly 10 million times better than the insulting crap being published now.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Harleen Quinzel with blonde hair falls in acid, and comes out with half blue, half red hair, right down the middle of her head. I can accept it changing your hair one colour, but not two, especially so evenly.

I'll come back if I think of a more substantial answer, but this does annoy me.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

I've always found Batman's backstory to be generic, but I don't really hate him

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnightRise

New 52 Tim Drake. I'm not a blatant New 52 basher like DullToInhumanKing, but the changes made to Tim have yet to go anywhere character-wise, and by comparison are waaaay weaker than his old origin.

ShadowMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadowMonkey
No Caption Provided

I think this sums it up for alot of interesting characters that have been around for decades. I find origin stories are great to re-introduce every 5 years or so because of new readers, but I think consistency is needed anytime a backstory is re-told.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Harleen Quinzel with blonde hair falls in acid, and comes out with half blue, half red hair, right down the middle of her head. I can accept it changing your hair one colour, but not two, especially so evenly.

I'll come back if I think of a more substantial answer, but this does annoy me.