At The End Of Civil War 2 A Hero Will Murder Another Hero

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Welcome to Marvel Comics’ secret semi-annual editorial retreat, in which the next few years of the publisher’s comic book storylines are brainstormed.

It’s a top-secret affair, restricted to the writers and editors, but this year a Daily News reporter was invited to observe – with a stern warning against spoiling too much for readers more than six months before they can read the story for themselves. Past retreats yielded “Civil War,” “Age of Ultron” and “Winter Soldier,” all stories that were ultimately adapted for the big screen.

“If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

The top of the agenda: to plot out details for “Civil War II,” a sequel to the best-selling 2007 event series that pitted Iron Man against Captain America in an allegory about national security versus personal liberties. That original story is being turned into a movie, “Captain America: Civil War,” that hits theaters on May 6, a month before the first issue of the sequel will hit stores.

So the stakes are high not to disappoint.

“You want it to be ‘The Godfather, Part II,’ but for every ‘Godfather II,’ there’s a ‘Godfather III,’’’ Marvel publisher Dan Buckley tells The News, referring to the weakest link of the mob trilogy.

During the retreat, however, optimism abounds among a group that includes The Atlantic correspondent Ta-Nehisi Coates, who is making his comics debut writing the “Black Panther.”

“Civil War 2” writer Brian Michael Bendis and Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso break down the premise.

“A mysterious new Marvel character comes to the attention of the world, one who has the power to calculate the outcome of future events with a high degree of accuracy,” according to the synopsis. “This predictive power divides the Marvel heroes on how best to capitalize on this aggregated information, with Captain Marvel leading the charge to profile future crimes and attacks before they occur, and Iron Man adopting the position that the punishment cannot come before the crime.”

Captain Marvel is a female super hero character that Marvel is looking to showcase more with her own movie slated for a March 2019 release.

“People’s personal accountability is the theme of this one,” Bendis explains to his peers of his project with artist David Marquez. “From the way cops are acting on camera, to the way people talk to each other online.”

As the story unfolds this new seer predicts the hero in question will be the cause of a major incident of destruction in three days, requiring the other good guys to make a tough call. The writer just hasn’t figured what or how bad that cataclysm will be.

“It has to fall somewhere between Hitler and self-defense,” Bendis says.

Though they also didn’t immediately settle on a big-name hero to turn into the culprit, Bendis kept referring to the doomed hero as Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man.

“Do you see me worried? I’m not worried,” whispers “Amazing Spider-Man” writer Dan Slott. “This is not my first rodeo. By the end of the afternoon, it won’t be Peter Parker.”

And sure enough, Parker is saved a grim fate by the afternoon as mass opinion shifts attention to other characters.

Another candidate is the Fantastic Four’s Human Torch, but Bendis extinguishes that idea quickly.

“He burns people and that’s so horrible (to illustrate),” the scribe says.

Other ideas are bounced around.

“What if the pressure causes (the hero) to commit suicide,” suggests James Robinson, another Marvel writer, adding that it could be a good way to draw attention to the scourge of cyber-bullying.

“That’s like an epic,” says Robinson. “I’m genuinely shocked.”

Comic fans, though, are cynical about publishers killing off their heroes. Once-dead heroes like Captain America and Spider-Man have made miraculous recoveries. Rival DC made headlines in 1992 by killing off the mostly indestructible Superman – and then promptly brought him back in a single bound a year later.

“The death is the marketing hook,” admits Buckley. “The thing that’s really compelling is whether or not there’s a story afterwards that’s going to connect with readers and sustain it.”

Buckley, Quesada and Alonso are confident, however, that if the storyline made it through the gauntlet of writers and editors at the editorial retreat, then it will be good enough for fickle comic readers.

This crowdsourcing of ideas model has worked for the company before.

“It’s a black magic alchemy of putting the right people in the room,” says Quesada. “Those of us who work here are creative trust fund babies, because we have inherited an incredible chest full of toys that we get to play with. It does end up being like a bunch of kids in a room throwing s--- against the wall.”

EXCLUSIVE: Inside Marvel's meeting to kill major character - NY Daily News

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

Don't care, events probably going to be garbage anyway. The only reason they're doing this is for the movie anyway. Hell if the character they're killing off has no place in the movies that's probably why they're killing him off.

I swear I would boycott Marvel if it wasn't for Venoms ongoing.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

At least they are honest it is just a marketing stunt.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Soo Minority Report then?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That conflict doesn't seem like one that would necessitate a War. Maybe a slight disagreement, but not a massive arcing War where a major character will be killed off at the end, IMO.

And for some reason, Star-Lord has to be there.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Anyone else feel like Marvel lost their way after Dark Reign?

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh' good ol' "Hitler takes the blame" game. Rumor has it the game was released for Atari along with its sequel "Let's throw Hitler under the Bus". These games are legendary and to this day have the lasting effect of being played.

Over 500+ million blacks killed in all manner of devious ways since the inception of the US. Hitler had very little to do with that. But a lot of people's grandparents did....*sips tea*

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I could be worried if they didn't tend to resurrect everybody.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By stormshadow_x

Don't care, events probably going to be garbage anyway. The only reason they're doing this is for the movie anyway. Hell if the character they're killing off has no place in the movies that's probably why they're killing him off.

I swear I would boycott Marvel if it wasn't for Venoms ongoing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh' good ol' "Hitler takes the blame" game. Rumor has it the game was released for Atari along with its sequel "Let's throw Hitler under the Bus". These games are legendary and to this day have the lasting effect of being played.

Over 500+ million blacks killed in all manner of devious ways since the inception of the US. Hitler had very little to do with that. But a lot of people's grandparents did....*sips tea*

What the bloody hell are you on?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I could be worried if they didn't tend to resurrect everybody.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nite_nite said:

What the bloody hell are you on?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edaa8b959055
deactivated-5edaa8b959055

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't really deserve a war..

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I supposed to care

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#19  Edited By Lvenger

Marvel, The House of Ideas: Where we beat a dead horse so hard it comes back to life then we can beat it to death yet again.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they are honest it is just a marketing stunt.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one was enough. Now it doesn't feel as special anymore.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sy8000  Online

Sounds terrible.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HighAccuser

What is this crap

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like that they spoiled the fact that a major character is going to die.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nite_nite: That's not an excuse to go off on a ridiculous tangent Bruh.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: well what I said was all facts so there's no ridiculousness to it. I just pointed out the irony of certain ppl always trying to throw hitler under the bus like they didn't have family members doing the same stuff to ppl in the same country.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like that they spoiled the fact that a major character is going to die.

But how else are Marvel going to sell an event book and generate publicity and interest in one of their events if someone doesn't die in them(?) It's Marvel's business strategy now, Breevoort has basically admitted as such that they purposefully go for shock value and pi$$ing longtime fans off now in the hopes of getting new people to read their trite.

Avatar image for deactivated-61c1f20acb732
deactivated-61c1f20acb732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope cap murders stark

CaptainWho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the original Marvel Civil War, but this sounds really lame. I'll still read it because I'm a sucker for Marvel comics, but making a "sequel" event and ripping off minority report to do it is just lame. Charles Soule's Secret Wars Civil War book was a better Civil war sequel then this seems like it will be.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't they just have one hero murder another hero?

No Caption Provided

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@maddpanda531 said:

But how else are Marvel going to sell an event book and generate publicity and interest in one of their events if someone doesn't die in them(?) It's Marvel's business strategy now, Breevoort has basically admitted as such that they purposefully go for shock value and pi$$ing longtime fans off now in the hopes of getting new people to read their trite.

It's so dumb. I love Marvel, but I hate how greedy they've become. I really wish they'd pull back from all the events/shock value deaths/announcing EVERYTHING before it even happens/Gwen-Whatever/Variant cover gimmicks and just focus on giving the fans what they want, being good stories and characters. Like I said, I really do love Marvel and I always will, but I'm less than satisfied with how they're handling things right now.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha. I guess another FOX owned movie character is gonna get whacked.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: So do I, it's part of the reason I've stopped reading all currently ongoing Marvel publications and will only buy back issues or Pre 2010 Marvel trades. I feel the same way about DC too, I really love the company and always will but I'm dissatisfied with how they're handling things. Marvel's constant events and reliance on shock value make me too weary as a fan to continue buying from them.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: But Marvel is still handling it better than DC, from what I can tell.

I don't read much Marvel, but lately DC has made some HUGE screw ups.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Oh absolutely, DC have made some catastrophically poor screw ups lately. Generally, I can understand why Marvel is handling themselves better due to their greater sales figures and greater general awareness in audience whereas DC keeps failing to get things right. What do you mean when you say huge screw ups specifically?

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I'm primarily talking about their character changes and timeline screw ups, along with some just genuinely bad story lines.

Bat-Gordon and Biker Superman? How did they think that would attract readers in the long run?

Then you've got the Bat-Family inconsistencies which leave no explanation as to what's canon and what isn't.

What the hell are they doing with Bane?

Raven's redesign was unneeded and disliked.

Changing Lobo to Edward Cullen from Twilight.

The "Eternal" series. Batman Eternal was a massive disappointment and went everywhere without going anywhere. I expect the same from B&RE when it's finished.

Darkseid War was/is a huge disappointment.

And more I'm forgetting. To some they may seem like nitpicks, but they add up after a while and make an impression.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: All valid complaints I have no objections or disagreements with. All this does add up and make an impression based on your list it seems.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nite_nite: so, to be clear... mentioning hitler without mentioning the mistreatment of black people that relatives may or may not have taken part in means he condones it? because im not quite ready to lift yet. I might need to STRETCH some more

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@prospero_locke: nah I was already straight up. Certain ppl like to throw Hitler out to the dogs as if he was the worst.

As for the relatives that may or may not....

Not all nazis participated in cruel treatment of the Jews they captured.