Are they going to make Thanos a generic villain in the MCU?

• 57 results
those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So far the best villain has been loki and Winter Soldier. Ronan was meh, red skull was forgettable, maliketh was sh1t, etc. All the villans besides Loki and winter soldier have been generic with crap back story. Loki has been the only one who stands out the moust as good due to his in depth relationships and his psychological motives. Ronan, red skull, malekith was a typical power hungry evil guy with a crap backstory who kills people and im having a feeling they are going to do that to Thanos. DC has had better and more memorable villains like joker, bane, and general zod. The main thing marvel is missing is that good backstory and character development in the villains. Thanos is looking to not be as good as a villian as Loki is and i know most of you feel the same way........right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do. My only concern is that he will be nerfed. He should kick everyones ass. I don't wanna see iron man saving the day here. Or anyone else for that matter. I also hope that they mention his love for death but even if they don't he still looks awesome. GotG just got me even more excited for Thanos.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By proto3296

@those_eyes: I actually disagree about Ronan. He had a very interesting back story. He wasn't power hungry either, he just wanted to destroy the plant(can't remember the name rn) once he found power he added another step to his agenda which was kill thanos. Sadly we never got to see that fight.. But it's ok! I honestly think Ronan had a great backstory!

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I do. My only concern is that he will be nerfed. He should kick everyones ass. I don't wanna see iron man saving the day here. Or anyone else for that matter. I also hope that they mention his love for death but even if they don't he still looks awesome. GotG just got me even more excited for Thanos.

Well i do commend how he was mentioned numerous times as being the most powerful being in the universe by even one of Ronan's men and Nebula. Yae i have to agree that im worried most about him being nerfed. I hope they demonstrate just how powerful thanos is in The Avengers 2 when he gets his after credit scene there.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@proto3296: As a side note I loved that condescending grin Thanos was giving Ronan as he threatened to kill him. That's the "I dare you." look.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: I actually disagree about Ronan. He had a very interesting back story. He wasn't power hungry either, he just wanted to destroy the plant(can't remember the name rn) once he found power he added another step to his agenda which was kill thanos. Sadly we never got to see that fight.. But it's ok! I honestly think Ronan had a great backstory!

Ronan was a badass but still kinda generic imo. They should have had thanos show off and whip his ass so we can get that feeling of thanos living up to the statements of nebula about how he is the most powerful being in the universe. I see your point but imo it wasnt enough. Ronan was better than Maliketh and Red skull though forsure.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Loki? Best villain? Yeah, sure. Loki was ok at best. Also, Thanos will probably be not generic, I think it will stick to the comics with having Death in it for him to prove his love, and his insanity and all that hububaloo.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loki? Best villain? Yeah, sure. Loki was ok at best. Also, Thanos will probably be not generic, I think it will stick to the comics with having Death in it for him to prove his love, and his insanity and all that hububaloo.

The reception loki has gotten is intense. I remember sitting in the theatre and when loki came on the screen people in the crowd were like ohhhh its loki, ive never heard anyone in an audience verbally in awe of seeing a villian in the mcu like that. Well i hope you are right that they keep thanos true to the comics and do him justice.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: when I saw GOTG I thought that once Ronan stepped out of the ship he was going to swing his hammer to the ground and destroy the planet, but just before he did, thanos teleports him to thanos' domain. From there thanos and Ronan have a hard fought battle (mostly because the infinity stone amped Ronan) but thanos inevitably snaps his neck. It would've been better than Ronan dying by PIS.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tyrus

The [frick]? How is Thanos-- a character we've only seen 2 minutes of (in all appearances) suddenly a crap villain? Or is doomed to be?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

When is Thanos not a generic villain?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And don't say "because they have a line of terrible villains" as you just mentioned Bucky.

Just accept it as a hit or miss.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: when I saw GOTG I thought that once Ronan stepped out of the ship he was going to swing his hammer to the ground and destroy the planet, but just before he did, thanos teleports him to thanos' domain. From there thanos and Ronan have a hard fought battle (mostly because the infinity stone amped Ronan) but thanos inevitably snaps his neck. It would've been better than Ronan dying by PIS.

Dear god that would have been so amazing. Thats exactly how it should have went down. Good mind you have there to come up with that.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

that would have been amazing

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By those_eyes

@tyrus said:

And don't say "because they have a line of terrible villains" as you just mentioned Bucky.

Just accept it as a hit or miss.

Its not the lines its just the motives and backstory im worried about. From most of the villains they've had poor development backstory. Im just hoping they stay true to the comics...i just want him to be done as well as Loki as a villain. Its not so much thanos as it is the directors. It would have been better if they showed thanos in action in gotg for a couple seconds atleast. I dont see his build up being as good as it should be, thats what im trying to say. But of course im sure he will get some more time to shine in the avengers 2. I cant make a final claim until the avengers 3.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I disagree about your assessment MCU villains, Iron Monger was really good, I prefer him to Loki, Abomination/Blonsky was the sh*t and I really liked Vaanko. Thanos was oozing with intensity the second he came onscreen in my opinion, the hype alone pumped it up.

But I have no idea what they'll do, they've had some stinkers as you said, but some really great ones too.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin Hammer was pretty good as well. IM2 just sucked all around so its hard to care IMO, lol.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rogueshadow  Moderator

@tyrus said:

Justin Hammer was pretty good as well. IM2 just sucked all around so its hard to care IMO, lol.

I agree Hammer was pretty good, the problem with that film wasn't its villains.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for callous_adherent
Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Callous_Adherent

@proto3296 said:

This has no regard for plot, pacing, or the importance of the heroes to the story. Essentially it steals the role of the guardians to the plot so that a background character can step in and pull a Deus Ex Machina. Which is textbook bad storytelling, especially if it comes out of nowhere. Seeing the fight for a one off "what if" short would be cool though.

And honestly, as the Walker brothers (Doug and the other guy, can't remember his name) point out, from a character perspective, Ronan getting baffled by some guy dancing and singing works because it contrasts his serious to the point of hilarity character with this absolute odd ball moment. Also to consider, Ronan was having a moment, everything thrown at him so far had failed. Someone dancing and singing "ooh child" (note that Ronan really didn't like how Thanos called him "boy") bothered his pride and ruined his moment.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

@those_eyes: The Thanos/Ronsn battle would be great for Thanos but horrible for the movie. Everybody would have felt heated if they didn't get to see the heroes save the day. It would make the events of the entire Guardians movie irrelevant to the ending.

It would have been cool in and of itself though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Winter soldier wasn't that good either. I Iron Monger and Loki are the only memroble ones to me.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Loki lost my respect the minute he got thrown around by the Hulk.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

As far as Thanos, I'm not concerned about him one bit if he's in the works for Avengers 3. First, Whedon is awesome. Second, they will have about six years of teases to build him up between now and Avengers 3; am I the only one who did the math on how long it took to complete phase 1 and extrapolated from there when we can expect Avengers 3? Finally, Thanos has had like two minutes of screen time at the most. Give them some freaking time to develop him as a character. I would say he's already presented himself as an interesting threat; give him some time and he will probably be spectacular.

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: Was there really any other way that was going to end once he started ranting?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saint_wildcard: Was there really any other way that was going to end once he started ranting?

But it was so anti climactic. Funny yes, epic no.Same with Ronan getting distracted by dance moves. He's supposed to be a threat but he felt like a joke. It's sad that the Disney Princess movies take their villains more seriously

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@callous_adherent said:

But it was so anti climactic. Funny yes, epic no.Same with Ronan getting distracted by dance moves. He's supposed to be a threat but he felt like a joke. It's sad that the Disney Princess movies take their villains more seriously

@proto3296 said:

And honestly, as the Walker brothers (Doug and the other guy, can't remember his name) point out, from a character perspective, Ronan getting baffled by some guy dancing and singing works because it contrasts his serious to the point of hilarity character with this absolute odd ball moment. Also to consider, Ronan was having a moment, everything thrown at him so far had failed. Someone dancing and singing "ooh child" (note that Ronan really didn't like how Thanos called him "boy") bothered his pride and ruined his moment.

As someone who's taken university level courses in creative writing I feel that I have a better pulse on what makes fiction work. "Epic action" is seriously overrated as a story telling device. An anti-climactic defeat is exactly the carthasis audiences needed for everything going Loki's way the whole movie, the release of seeing someone fall so far when they were at the top of the world not too long ago is a big part of why it's so funny. And the threat in the movie was generally painted as being the Chitauri, not Loki. And despite being terminally incompetent mooks, the Chitauri did manage to start wearing down the Avengers through sheer numbers until only Thor was really left in any condition to keep on fighting for much longer. I mean, they managed to put down the Hulk for the rest of the movie.

And Ronan's shtick is that he is comically serious. He's bombastic, he chews the scenery, he never cracks a smile or laughs, everything is end of the world serious for him. So seeing the straightest of straight men (as in the Comedy trope, not the sexual orientation) be met with this ridiculous distraction just works from a story telling perspective.

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@those_eyes: Remember when Dr. Doom used to be intimidating in comics? Now when he appears in comics, readers roll their eyes. I'm hoping that Josh Brolins' Thanos doesn't lead the character down the same path.

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robotmonster: Since when? The Cult of Doom is as strong as ever even if he's saddled by the Fox movies.

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@callous_adherent: I was in a comic shop when the Brubaker/Epting/Lark run on Cap was still out, and when I read that the Skull had access to Doom's time machine, I remember thinking, "Wow! This is going to catalyze a huge storyline." I did also note that Doom was willing to make a trade for the access to his time machine, either confident that the Skull would fail or unconcerned with the schemes of "lesser men."

A friend popped my balloon, pointing out, "Dr. Doom has been mishandled and mismanaged by writers for years, Rob. Doombots, impersonators, and his vendetta with the Fantastic Four have worn thin, and readers are always confident that any continuity-shaking change he makes is going to be thwarted. Maybe it was Emperor Doom or maybe it was his weird little bit part in The Heroes Reborn universe, but he hasn't had the same effect that he had in the 60s, 70s, and 80s." I tried to argue that he was an even more tragic villain than he was previously, having freed his mother's soul from Mephisto only to lose it, and that this had only hardened him. "So?" said my friend. "How has that played out in comics?" Doom sacrificed Valeria for some mystically enhanced armor and had an epic battle against the FF, which led to Reed Richards' being deformed and Doom himself being lost. "And is Richards still deformed? How long was it before Doom came back, and that 'epic battle' was reduced to a footnote? There's nothing you can point out that will convince me that Marvel writers take him as seriously as they once did, because Marvel continuity is a joke, and so any villain who shakes things up is just the scapegoat for bad editorial decisions."

He was right, but I didn't want to admit it. I thought that Doom's courtship of the Scarlet Witch was as cool as the Red Skull getting the Cosmic Cube, and that he was responsible for the death of Cassie Lang and Ant-Man's vow to avenge his daughter was doing to put him in the center of the bullseye of the Marvel Universe. Then, however, he got shuffled to the outskirts again as Marvel NOW continued to evolve and villains made popular in movies were drawn to the forefront. Even the formerly obscure Taskmaster was getting more print space than Doom, apparently to attract Deathstroke fans from DC.

So, I present you with the same challenge that my friend gave me. Show me in the last 14 years where Doom has made a significant impact in the MU that hasn't yet been retconned or completely forgotten/erased.

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robotmonster: Ah yes marginilizing in the universe itself rather than by his still vocal fanbase. Thanks for clarifying.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO, the only memorable villain of the MCU is Loki. He's not a particularly good villain, but he certainly has proved memorable. The only good villains the MCU has had are the Iron Monger (Iron Man 1), Blonsky (Incredible Hulk), and maybe Hammer and Whiplash (Iron Man 2). But, in general, Marvel lacks in the villain department and I hope this isn't the case for Thanos.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Villians is the only thing MCU is really lacking

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO, the only memorable villain of the MCU is Loki. He's not a particularly good villain, but he certainly has proved memorable. The only good villains the MCU has had are the Iron Monger (Iron Man 1), Blonsky (Incredible Hulk), and maybe Hammer and Whiplash (Iron Man 2). But, in general, Marvel lacks in the villain department and I hope this isn't the case for Thanos.

I thought all of them were kinda crap. lo

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thor-Parker

Marvel has great villains, Iron Monger, Loki, Blonsky, Justin Hammer, Whiplash and Winter Soldier, they also have bad villains but many people are making it seem as if the only good villain is Loki, and that´s not true, MCU has many great villains.

On topic: I am not worried about Thanos, I am sure he will be a great villain.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has great villains, Iron Monger, Loki, Blonsky, Justin Hammer, Whiplash and Winter Soldier, they also have bad villains but many people are making it seem as if the only good villain is Loki, and that´s not true, MCU has many great villains.

On topic: I am not worried about Thanos, I am sure he will be a great villain.

Its just my opinion but Loki and Winter Soldier were the only decent villains. I am looking forward to thanos though for sure.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Thanos is to appear in a movie, that'll be the one movie where I hope the bad guy wins in the end but then decides to give up his omnipotence due to boredom and reverts everything back.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Red Skull was awesome. Mandarin was awesome. Iron Monger was awesome. Loki is awesome. Winter Soldier is awesome. Abonination was ok. Ronan was pretty cool too.

Pretty good track record so far.

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By legacy6364

Red Skull was awesome. Mandarin was awesome. Iron Monger was awesome. Loki is awesome. Winter Soldier is awesome. Abonination was ok. Ronan was pretty cool too.

Pretty good track record so far.

Beata

Mandarin was awesome?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: Yes. A very well done interpretation of the character.

Beata

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By legacy6364

Do you know who the Mandarin is? He's genius scientist and a super humanly skilled martial artist. He wears ten power rings that he adapted from the alien technology. He's a bad-ass. How did the movie give the character a well interpretation by making him a crack head?

Are you serious?

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Thanos is to appear in a movie, that'll be the one movie where I hope the bad guy wins in the end but then decides to give up his omnipotence due to boredom and reverts everything back.

lol i doubt that will happen but i do think thanos should get that victiory run where he literally beats up the avengers and gotg all at once by himself. It looks like ultron will get his time to shine to since he supposedly will beat the avengers up.

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to TV tropes, Age of Ultron implies that Thanos will kill nearly all of the Avengers in the future.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324: They already hinted his love for death in the Avengers post-credit scene.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: 100% I loved the Mandarin twist. It probably will never be matched in CBM history. Easily the best thing about IM3.

Beata