Are the Russo Bros going to be largely forgotten as the years go by?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are the Russo Bros going to be largely forgotten as the years go by? (28 votes)

Yes 68%
No 32%

They directed two of the highest grossing films of all time: Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame..... now what? You don't hear much about those two anymore. While those movies were extraordinarily successful and everyone and their mothers know that even if they've not watched them, "Russo Bros" is far from a household name compared to one of their contemporaries like Nolan.

You don't really hear much about the Russos anymore. Now that they can't ride on the Marvel brand anymore, are they standing well on their own? The last movie they directed was The Gray Man... forgettable film.

• 
The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Sam Raimi largely forgotten as the years went by?

How about Bryan Singer? Wait, don’t answer that one.

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably, outside of Marvel, their other movies have been largely forgettable. I mean they ain't no legends like James Cameron, Steven Spielberg or Martin Scorsese.

Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mainly known for Marvel

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

@the_hajduk: Sam Raimi no, he's a pretty established director. Bryan Singer... yeah, lets not talk about him.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m leaning towards yes tbh.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, kudos to Joe Russo for working on Extraction and Extraction 2, I liked those films.

Still I think him and his bro are going to be operating more quietly now.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about them.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about them.

Thanks for reinforcing my sentiments.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostodoofus2: lol I think Jon Favreau will always be remembered well because of Iron Man.

James Gunn as well but maybe not to the same extent even though I think Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is the best MCU movie besides Iron Man.

Your description of "household name" is something that, even though Iron Man wasn't the most kid friendly with Tony being promiscuous early on in the film, the redemption aspect, sincere serious tone, and rather traditional structure makes it fit that description in my opinion.

Guardians is kinda weird, especially 2, which I liked, but I don't think household name with that where it's not so universal. I haven't seen Gunn's other movies, but I got the impression The Suicide Squad might also be out there.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They were never big names to begin with.

Agmine570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@straight-fire said:

I feel like if you direct a few films of a juggernaut franchise, your name will be greatly overshadowed by the brand name associated with those films, regardless of its success. All of the Nolan films are seen as Nolan films, but the MCU films directed by the Russos will always be seen as Marvel Studios films first and foremost, not Russos Bros films.

Agmine570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agmine570

@ghostodoofus2: Yeah, but also/more like because they were simply hired to make those movies. They didn't produce or had their own vision for a story. Of course famous artists are more well-known than businessmen, no matter how much those businessmen makes.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agmine570: That is a great analogy. Not looking down on the artistry of the Russo Bros but I do believe they did not have artistic freedom, they made the films in the style of the studio.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were they ever particularly famous at all?

I mean, unlike something Avatar or Barbie, where James Cameron's & Greta Gerwig's directions were clearly responsible for the movie's successes, the Russo brothers could hardly be thanked for simply finishing off a story that was already on its final chapter.

The fact that the only thing they've actually directed since was a boring, forgettable, completely paint by numbers action movie for Netflix called The Gray Man pretty much solidifies that Endgame was definitely their peak.

kingogkings777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agmine570 said:
@straight-fire said:

I feel like if you direct a few films of a juggernaut franchise, your name will be greatly overshadowed by the brand name associated with those films, regardless of its success. All of the Nolan films are seen as Nolan films, but the MCU films directed by the Russos will always be seen as Marvel Studios films first and foremost, not Russos Bros films.

This.