Are Superheroes being Humanized too Much?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Tell me what you guys think:

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

you know one of the reasons Franklin Richards is my favorite character is because he's not easy to relate too

his problems are so far from my problems it makes me like him more

Afrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're humanized too much when people use the word "humanize" to make them act like terrible people when they're usually not and then say "But it's relatable!" It's like we simply can't accept that our heroes are better people than us and have to try to drag them down to our level.

They're HEROES, guys! WE'RE supposed to be like THEM, not the other way around.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd dare say superheroes lack humanity in a sense. Being consistently exposed to such violence and tragedy, forces these characters to dissociate themselves from the norm.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nicksmi56: The problem with heroes like that is their too preachy and people like underdogs or are sympathetic, while some heroes are just too perfect.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By jumpstart55
  • No their not..Because Aliens,Gods and Robots dont enjoy their stories actual humans do.
  • Remember Comic Books and art in general is just a reflection of real life, so it makes sense that Superheores are showed as being these very vulnerable human like characters on the inside, All that Superhero shit is just icing on the cake.
BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlueHope

There is no standard formula for how much a hero should be humanized.

There is idols like like Superman and Captain America, their high sense of morals allow them to deal with more complicated moral problems and make them face higher expectations from the population that is something that we don't see on our everyday but is not much "relatable".

Then there is "hyper realistic" heroes like Rorschach and Kick-ass, face more "everyday" problems that we can relate, but is nothing "new" to us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang3: Being "too perfect" isn't the fault of the hero. It all depends on the writing. Crap like Spider-Man going along with Gwen Stacy's death with a smile and Superman saying "Men don't stay good!" all in the name of "humanizing" them is complete trash and is the exact kind of nonsense I'm talking about. I'll take a hero being "too perfect" over them throwing away everything they are so they can be "more human."

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope said:

There is idols like like Superman and Captain America, their high sense of morals allow them to deal with more complicated moral problems and make them face higher expectations from the population that is something that we don't see on our everyday but is not much "relatable".

Then there is "hyper realistic" heroes like Rorschach and Kick-ass, face more "everyday" problems that we can relate, but is nothing "new" to us.

Is Spider-Man in the middle? Everyday problems added with crime fighting problems, own fears and anxieties (jokes in fights to hide nervousness and fear in some cases, love ones dying because of being a hero), but manages to pull through with a optimistic mindset unlike us real humans?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jaycool2 said:

you know one of the reasons Franklin Richards is my favorite character is because he's not easy to relate too

A character can have fantastic problems, and react to those fantastic problems in human ways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:

A character can have fantastic problems, and react to those fantastic problems in human ways.

Yeah but the whole thing about being a god like kid seems really cool to me.It's why i tend to like over powered characters.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jaycool2: Yea, but that has nothing to do with whether or not a character is humanize...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlueHope

@ultimate_knight said:
@bluehope said:

Is Spider-Man in the middle? Everyday problems added with crime fighting problems, own fears and anxieties (jokes in fights to hide nervousness and fear in some cases, love ones dying because of being a hero), but manages to pull through with a optimistic mindset unlike us real humans?

Yes, at least that's the way I see him, looks like he was created be pretty vulnerable like any person but yet someway a little "special" unlike us, maybe that's why so many people love him he's insecure but imbreakable at the same time, not an national symbol or a war hero but what any everyman can look up to be.

That's not mean that there is a "perfect lvl of humanization" and that every character should try to be like spiderman though,just means that it worked perfectly for a character like Peter Parker but would maybe not work well with characters like Thor or Professor X for example.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"Humanization" is a dumb concept is an of itself.

These are fictional characters created by humans. Of course their conflicts and problems are going to be slightly different variants on themes that have existed for millennia among storytellers. There cannot be "inhumanly unrelatable" characters because it is a logical impossibility as of right now.

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel in some instances, Yes. Lately I feel people have been begging and belly-aching for more "realistic" characters and all. It bugs me a bit because me personally I love the fiction behind certain heroes.. I feel it's part of what makes them so epic. Being able to transcend human frailties whether in mind, emotionally, or physically is something I find extraordinary.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TrustNoOne22

@ultimate_knight said:
@bluehope said:

Peter Parker isn't that relatable, no more than Luke Cage, Clint, She Hulk and maybe Kitty Pryde. He's been made fun of for being an idiot who can't get his shit together and deliberately self loathes himself from actually taking responsibility for himself when protecting his own lively hood. He's crazy more than realistic. ANd he's a genius who's smart enough to use his powers along with his science to actually get enough wealthy enough to help support his hard life and protect his family and friends, but he's a manchild who pusses out, thats not a everyman, thats a lunatic with crippling depression.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good man but he's a emotionally stunted retard.