Aquaman #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

While Aquaman and Atlantis reach out to the surface world, it doesn't go quite as it seems as Black Manta has a few tricks up his sleeve in order to get revenge on the King of Atlantis, who allegedly killed his father.

For a first issue, we sure do get one fantastic fight scene, that helps set up the first arc for the book. The age-old rivalry of Black Manta versus Aquaman is refueled here, and this is just the beginning. I really like the fact that Dan Abnett and Brad Walker lay out this dynamic between characters right off the bat. Manta and Aquaman's hatred towards each other is decades old and always makes for an interesting story.

One of the things that hurts and helps the issue, depending on if the reader is new to Aquaman or not, is how this issue pushes forward the lore of Atlantis while building a contemporary story about Atlantis trying to make themselves a part of the surface world. It's an intriguing story, and it's great world building. It makes the world of Aquaman feel larger.

Penciller Brad Walker, inker Andrew Hennessey, and colorist Gabe Eltaeb deliver a visually entertaining book as well. There were a few moments were "camera placement" was a little odd, like when we could see right up Aquaman's nose, but overall, this artistic team is doing some impressive things. The action sequences are full of movement and really engross the reader, and Eltaeb's colors are dynamic. This is one impressive looking book.

There are a few problems within the first issue. It comes off more about Atlantis and the undersea city trying to befriend the surface world. This is their first attempt to unite the worlds, and obviously, it doesn't go well. The issue isn't as much about Aquaman. He's the back-piece to what's happening. New readers may be a bit turned off by this, while longtime readers will find what's going on a bit more refreshing. It's a double-edged sword. If this were the start of a new arc, at least after the first story, this wouldn't be a problem at all. In addition, it's a bit of a slow start for the issue. About halfway through, it really picks up pace, but the opening could be a bit of a turn-off for some.

This first issue may not be the best jumping-on point for new readers because the focus is more geared towards Atlantis rather than exploring just who Aquaman is, but it's still a great read. Aquaman fans will find themselves enjoying this book, as it plays better to people who have a prior background knowledge of the character and his world. It's a solid issue, and I recommend picking it up.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

The only thing I really wanted was to have at least one issue on Spindrift and Aquaman playing politics with the surface world than "Die Aquaman Die!"

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By apokos7

Dan Abnett is slowly yet steadily climbing the ladder of my favorite writers. This was a nice first issue, the dynamic between Arthur and Mera at first was great, Black Manta was good in it, I'd like to see characters like Garth, Tula or Murk take a more active role as the book progresses, and I wonder whether Joanna Stubs will be used later on and how. Crikey.

I hope Sark is fine.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

@apokos7 said:

I hope Sark is fine.

Same.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Ending felt a tad bit abrupt but I enjoyed this. Looking forward to see what Abnett does with the series.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Koays

Haven't read it yet..but I'm glad to see the good marks for Aquaman...there seems to be a hatedom growing and I need his books back at where they were at the start of N52

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

As someone trying to get into Aquaman's solo series for the first time with Rebirth, I thought this issue was OK.

I knew about Spindrift Embassy because of the DCR Podcast, so that wasn't really an issue. However, something just seemed off to me. In any case, I enjoyed this and the Rebirth issue enough to at least try the next two or three issues.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zearing: If you want to get a better insight on who Aquaman is, "The New 52" did a very good job at it. Geoff Johns' run was excellent (Volumes 1-4), Jeff Parker's issues were quite good (Volumes 5-6) with Volume 6 being very good, and Dan Abnett wrote the final Aquaman New 52 issues (Volume 8) which serve as a prelude or a Volume 0 to Rebirth's Aquaman. Volume 7's characterization was a little off, so you should skip that. Out of those, I'd say that Volume 2 which features Black Manta and Volume 8 (not yet collected in trade though) written by Dan Abnett should be the ones most related to this arc and thus more helpful in getting you more comfortable with Aquaman's world.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was all right. I have to be honest, I miss the collar.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was good I enjoyed it

LooneyMoonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a new Aquaman reader, I loved this. Love the politics, seeing Arthur as a normal person, (last issue in the restaurant is still my favorite part of the two issues,) and the art and colors were fantastic. Huge nerd for world building and not have heroes just get into fights every other second, which is why I wish the fight would have been held for next issue but, minor gripe. I feel this book is already doing a better job of showing a super hero head of state than the Black Panther book has.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Predictable, but fun.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KnightofSteel

I enjoyed this. Abnett is one solid writer so I can see this series getting even stronger as it progresses. And of course Brad Walker's art is beyond stunning.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nightwing128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i admit i was a bit concerned since the last few N52 issues he wrote for Aquaman were a bit cringe worthy (the back up characters/government agents turned me off so much ;-;), this and the Rebirth issue were good! Looking forward to where this arc will go, loved the art as well!

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

only got this for black manta, i liked what i saw

Cstansell2199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@looneymoonie:I agree completely!

I'm brand new to Aquaman. I actually only picked up the Rebirth issue because I needed an extra to use my credit card at the local comic book store. But I have very much enjoyed the first 2 issues' story line and illustrations. I'm also a fan of world-building. Very much looking forward to #2!

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think the art for the characters is really ugly. Not feeling good at all.

But Black Manta feels like Black Manta. Obsessed. Sociopathic. Ruthless. Thats what he is through and through. I hope it kept up this way.

footix_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a deferent take on Aquaman, showed politics and determination for "peace". I really liked it. But pretty sad though, how everything he built got destroyed just in a second.