Agree/Disagree - "A superhero is a less appealing character if he/she is written as a homosexual"

• 63 results
Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Agree/Disagree - "A superhero is a less appealing character if he/she is written as a homosexual" (80 votes)

Agree. A superhero is less awesome/appealing if written as a homosexual 28%
Disagree. A superhero isn't less awesome/appealing just because he/she is homosexual 73%

So!

I keep hearing quite a couple of discussions of whether this superhero is awesome if he's gay or not, etc etc

Why not make a general topic, instead of making specific instances?

Do you think a superhero's character quality is affected by the sexual orientation assigned to him/her by the writer?

Discuss!

• 
TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheExile285

Disagree. Sexual orientation shouldn't really have an impact on whether a character is cool or not.

Now, changing a character's sexual orientation just for the heck of it is different.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in the slightest. I guess if you believe homosexuality is wrong, you would also avoid buying comics featuring gay characters. I can only think of a few gay characters in comics I've read, but I never found it distracting either way

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the Hero

Like having say Tony stark,Cyclops, Parker gay would ruin their Character

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weeding out the homophobes. It honestly makes no difference.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Doesn't matter to be but I also don't think you should change a character's sexual orientation - if he or she has long been established one way or another - for no real reason.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I agree with what most people have said already. Being gay does not make a character bad. But changing a straight character to be gay does make them bad because it is a deliberate way of ignoring years of continuity for the character.

If you want to be more diverse and have more gay characters, that's fine. But actually put some effort into it. Create a new character who is gay and develop them or give more attention to an already existing character who is gay. Don't be lazy and declare a popular character to be gay because that is outright insulting to both the fans of the character and the LGBT community.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Hopey Glass was great.

She gay.

Shit like this is why people hate PC culture and liberals. "Hey, you carry different opinions than me, you must be full of hate and be afraid of gay people!!"

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Da fuq is dis?

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: 'Shit like this is why people hate PC culture and liberals. "Hey, you carry different opinions than me, you must be full of hate and be afraid of gay people!!"'

If you think a gay superhero can't also be awesome you're a homophobe. I'm not saying they should make any hero gay but if you dislike a hero simply because of their sexual orientation by definition you are a homophobe.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the character was originally conceived to be gay, and his/her origin story revolved around his/her sexuality, I don't think it becomes less appealing, it depends on how the story handles it.

I think at this point people might have heard it all and it's just a bit repetitive. But I don't agree that it makes the character less interesting.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator

In general, people just relate and identify with those more like themselves. A 45 year black 5'7" homosexual with one leg and a lisp is more likely to relate to a character who is a 45 year old 5'7" homosexual with one leg and a lisp.

So when you change an aspect of a character's identity, like their race, sexuality etc. I think that this is why you see a lot of reaction in the fan communities, some of what they identified with in that character has been stripped away. The default assumption that people are homophobic or racist when they dislike a change is very unfair. Moreover, a character's sexuality will have widespread ramifications in regards to character dynamics.

To the OP though, no, if the protagonist of a series were homosexual I doubt it would impact my interest in reading.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jgames

There nothing wrong with being gay, forcing a character to be gay to have support from the politically correct people is when I have a problem. A character should not be turn gay, for the sake of diversity. Same to making hero black or Hispanic. I would say women, but they been gender swapping forever, not just now, so I don't have a problem with that.

Protoc0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Protoc0l

Agree (That doesn't apply to lesbians though)

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Depends on the Hero

Like having say Tony stark,Cyclops, Parker gay would ruin their Character

This guy said it best some character just aren't just meant to be written gay it ruins some character dynamics while some characters can fit the criteria just fine it depends on the character and plot etc homosexuality can be very enjoyable in slice of life romance plot but if it just done for the heck of it and adds nothing to the character it ruins it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

disagree

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a female superhero is lesbian, then she appeal to far more than straight one.

Can't say same for male :P

Hollycat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything I'd say a well written gay character can be just as good or even far more appealing. As long as they aren't just "the gay hero."

I'd like to see more trans characters in comics.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Zetsu-San

It would become less appealing for me. I like putting myself in the shoes of the character I am reading about. Also, I just plain don't like watching 2 guys kissing.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes no difference to me.

Unless you're changing the orientation of a character whose sexuality has already been determined. That upsets me.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jIt doesn't matter as long as the character is interesting and not preachy or a stereotype.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagree. Sexual orientation shouldn't really have an impact on whether a character is cool or not.

Now, changing a character's sexual orientation just for the heck of it is different.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

As someone who kind of has a sneaking suspicion that my favourite character might actually be a closet case, I disagree.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The-Seeffiss17

Probably less appealing to the masses due to their being people who don't believe and that life style. Whether it be for religious or personal things/ issues. Whereas nobody really takes issue with straight people.

For me, it depends entirely on how the character is written and developed. Sexual orientation is pretty much a non-factor unless these elements are written/ incorporated poorly. I take no issue with it at all, but I do take issue with them changing pre-established characters.

Basically, for me disagree, but in terms of overall sales I would assume homosexuality would be a negative.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

No. A character is a character, sexuality is just a layer.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@theexile285 said:

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By X-Rey

@fallschirmjager said:

Doesn't matter to be but I also don't think you should change a character's sexual orientation - if he or she has long been established one way or another - for no real reason.

^^ Seconded.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a defining personality trait and they just ignore any form of good character story telling, then yes.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@fallschirmjager said:

This. I'm fine with new characters who are gay/lesbian/bi; I just don't like the idea of changing established characters, like Iceman. Make new characters, or try giving existing gay characters more prominence (or better writers).

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By micah007123

@mrhamwallet said:

@cattlebattle: 'Shit like this is why people hate PC culture and liberals. "Hey, you carry different opinions than me, you must be full of hate and be afraid of gay people!!"'

If you think a gay superhero can't also be awesome you're a homophobe. I'm not saying they should make any hero gay but if you dislike a hero simply because of their sexual orientation by definition you are a homophobe.

Anyone who uses this term as a counter really doesn't understand what a phobia truly is. Homophobia and homophobe are really just PC culture words, created to attempt to flip the finger at the other side without realizing the basis for trying to do that is flawed.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Have you seen Midnighter?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagree.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By PeterParkerJr

@never_give_up said:
@theexile285 said:

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: "Anyone who uses this term as a counter really doesn't understand what a phobia truly is."

"Homophobia and homophobe are really just PC culture words, created to attempt to flip the finger at the other side without realizing the basis for trying to do that is flawed."

Or you don't understand what homophobia truly is. Whether you agree with it or not the word has more meaning than most "phobias". You can blame it on PC culture all you want, but it's ignorance that's defined the word and it was ignorance being displayed when I used it.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people haven't heard of Midnighter lol.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By mickey-mouse

If you're going to change a characters sexual orientation, you better do something really amazing with it and they better hook up with an amazing character(s).

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By linsanel_Doctor

I don't see why the superhero's sexuality is so important... for most, it's not a major focus or their defining characteristic....... ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: "Anyone who uses this term as a counter really doesn't understand what a phobia truly is."

"Homophobia and homophobe are really just PC culture words, created to attempt to flip the finger at the other side without realizing the basis for trying to do that is flawed."

Or you don't understand what homophobia truly is. Whether you agree with it or not the word has more meaning than most "phobias". You can blame it on PC culture all you want, but it's ignorance that's defined the word and it was ignorance being displayed when I used it.

I am sorry, but disliking a certain personality trait is does not mean you hate or are scared of it which is what the term "homophobia" implies. There are plenty of characters that I think are decent despite being lgbt but that does not mean that I have to like those specific qualities, nor does it mean I wouldn't enjoy the character more if said qualities were absent.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: "I am sorry, but disliking a certain personality trait is does not mean you hate or are scared of it which is what the term "homophobia" implies. There are plenty of characters that I think are decent despite being lgbt but that does not mean that I have to like those specific qualities, nor does it mean I wouldn't enjoy the character more if said qualities were absent."

Not what I said. Disliking a character, or saying a character cannot be 'awesome' just because they were written as homosexual is homophobia. The problem is with the characters sexual orientation and based on nothing else, and is therefore homophobic.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet: Yet nowhere in the original response that you were replying too, was the above implied.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: "If you think a gay superhero can't also be awesome you're a homophobe. I'm not saying they should make any hero gay but if you dislike a hero simply because of their sexual orientation by definition you are a homophobe."

You mean this reply? Where it's exactly what I say...

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zetsu-San

@mrhamwallet said:

@zetsumoto: "If you think a gay superhero can't also be awesome you're a homophobe. I'm not saying they should make any hero gay but if you dislike a hero simply because of their sexual orientation by definition you are a homophobe."

You mean this reply? Where it's exactly what I say...

No... That comment was a response to the following comment:

@cattlebattle said:

Hopey Glass was great.

She gay.

@mrhamwallet said:

Shit like this is why people hate PC culture and liberals. "Hey, you carry different opinions than me, you must be full of hate and be afraid of gay people!!"

Nowhere in the above was it implied that he had the mentality you speak of.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: "Shit like this is why people hate PC culture and liberals. "Hey, you carry different opinions than me, you must be full of hate and be afraid of gay people!!"

In no way did my comment require this response.

"Weeding out the homophobes."

Was a reference to how many of this type of thread have been created recently.

"It honestly makes no difference."

Is clearly my opinion.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet: "Was a reference to how many of this type of thread have been created recently."-- The wording kind of implies that anyone who votes "agree" is a homophobe.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: I suppose but my further replies were pretty clear.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagree. Can we stahp with these threads now guise?

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Psy4

No a character is not less appealing at all.

You can only get this impression by reading too much into reactions to characters that are changed. When people are angry that an important aspect of a character has changed, it is because they may have identified with the character in a specific way or used the character as a goal or whatever people do when they think of an established character that they have grown accustomed to over time. If the character starts off that way then it's perfectly fine and there are many examples of such.

However if you take a beloved character and retroactively butcher their characteristics and hope for the same results, you are in for a world of well deserved, bad reception not because of the way the character is, but because you've been too lazy to establish a new character and taken something away from the reader with the current one.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It shouldn't be, but it's probably be because when it comes to a solo book, they may dive into gay relationship, and straight guys would probably don't want to read about gay relationship between Wolverine and Cyclops instead of Cyclops of Jean Grey. It's just hang up people have, and if someone were to see you buy or collect gay comics, they may think you're gay. It's just the general perception of society when it comes to what actions we define as straight and masculine and gay often carry a negative connotation to it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet said:

I am sorry, but disliking a certain personality trait is does not mean you hate or are scared of it which is what the term "homophobia" implies. There are plenty of characters that I think are decent despite being lgbt but that does not mean that I have to like those specific qualities, nor does it mean I wouldn't enjoy the character more if said qualities were absent.

^^^Bingo