Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yarva

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/much-energy-iron-fist-pack-superpowered-punch/

HOW MUCH ENERGY DOES IRON FIST PACK INTO HIS SUPERPOWERED PUNCH?

I AM SUPER pumped up about the Iron Fist series that will premiere on Netflix soon. At this point, all I really have is this trailer—but that has never stopped me before. Why would it stop me now?

If you don’t know anything about Iron Fist, let me say one important thing. Other than being a martial arts guy, he also has the ability to make this superpowered punch. (That’s what’s going on in the trailer when his hand gets all glowing and stuff.) But how much energy is in his power punch? To answer this question, I’ll analyze the scene right at the end of the trailer, where Iron Fist punches the floor and sends at least two humans flying into the air.

Here’s the important part for our analysis:

IronFirstInline.jpg

I’m going to make the following estimations and assumptions.

• There are two humans (other than Danny Rand) that get tossed into the air. There is also some other stuff—like chairs and things you would find in the room. I am going to estimate the total mass of thrown stuff at 200 kg.
  • It’s difficult to see, but it almost looks like the humans get thrown up to the ceiling of the room. I am going to use a maximum height of 2 meters. If you don’t like this value, you can create your own estimation.
  • All of the energy needed to raise the bad guys (assuming they are bad) comes from Iron Fist’s iron fist punch.

I can find the energy in the punch by using the work-energy principle. This says that if there are no external inputs into a system, the change in energy is zero. For this case, I will use a system consisting of Iron Fist, the baddies, the other debris, and the Earth.

Next I need to pick a starting and ending time to compare energies. I will draw this as a diagram.

Spring 2017 Sketches key

In this system, I essentially have just two types of energy to deal with. First, there is the stored energy in the iron fist (the punch, not the person). I guess this would be some type of potential energy, but I’m not exactly sure how the punch works. Second, there is a change in gravitational potential energy. If the starting center of mass of the humans is set at zero potential energy, then the height they rise will give me the total change in gravitational potential energy.

I can write this energy conservation as:

La te xi t 1

It’s really that simple. The energy from the punch goes into the change in potential energy for all the stuff moving up. All I need to do now is put in my values for the mass of the stuff and the height. This gives an estimated energy in the punch with a value of 3,920 Joules. That might seem like a lot, but you probably have 30,000 Joules stored in your smartphone battery. A ham and cheese sandwich has about 1.5 million Joules.

It’s not enough energy for a phone, but 3,920 Joules is a large value for a human punch. What about the power? The power is defined as the rate of energy change.

La te xi t 1

For the iron fist punch, I know the energy already. But what about the time? I can look at the time it takes the Iron Fist to perform this super punch and then calculate the power. Using Tracker Video Analysis (just to get the time), I get a punch time of 0.417 seconds. I’m assuming he builds up all the energy during the swinging motion (but of course that is pure speculation). This would give a power of 9,400 Watts. That is some serious power. Just for comparison, an MMA fighter might have a punch energy of 25 Joules with a power of about 50 Watts.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa.. too much to swallow. VERY NICE man.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yarva

I posted this so that people can get their arguments ready for the inevitable MCU Ironfist battles.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inb4 iron fist vs hulk threads. Lol