• 86 results
erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

Amazing Spider-Man #688

No Caption Provided

The Lizard returns, and just in time for release of The Amazing Spider-Man film. Look how that worked out. Probably wasn't planned at all...

Film/comic synergy notwithstanding, we're really pumped for the return of one of Spider-Man's greatest foes, courtesy of Dan Slott and artist Giuseppe Camuncoli. But Lizard isn't the only one Spidey has to deal with. Spidey also has to watch out for Morbius the Living Vampire. Pete just can't catch a break, can he?

American Vampire #28

No Caption Provided

It's the start of a brand new story arc in the pages of American Vampire. Welcome to the "The Blacklist."

We're still in the 1950s, but the focus has shifted back to Pearl and Skinner Sweet, who return to where it all began -- Hollywood. Vertigo is promising major revelations in this arc, the kind of stuff that drastically shifts the direction of a series. Here's hoping Scott Snyder and artist Rafael Albuquerque deliver.

Batman: The Dark Knight #10

No Caption Provided

That's right, we're choosing to spotlight an issue of Batman: The Dark Knight over something like Batman Incorporated this week. Blasphemy! But before you grab your pitchfork and torch and start b-lining it towards the ComicVine office, we have a legitimate reason for doing so, so hear us out: this issue marks the debut of Gregg Hurwitz writing the series.

Hurwitz blew us away with his work on Penguin: Pain and Prejudice, so we're obviously expecting great things from his run on The Dark Knight. It also doesn't hurt that artist David Finch is sticking around to pencil Hurwitz's tale. Fingers crossed Batman: The Dark Knight finally becomes tolerable.

Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #1

No Caption Provided

Outside the stumble that was Comedian #1, things have been pretty solid for DC's venture back into the world of Watchmen. This week sees the release of J. Michael Straczynski and Andy Kubert's Nite Owl. Nite Owl was one of the most fascinating characters from Watchmen, so hopefully Straczynski and Kubert can do the character justice while simultaneously peeling back some new layers.

If nothing else, the book will at least look pretty with artwork by the father/son duo of Joe and Andy Kubert.

Fatale #6

No Caption Provided

The start of Fatale's second arc has arrived. In present day, Nicolas hunts for more information about the mysterious Josephine. Meanwhile, in the mid 1970s, Josephine tries to establish a new life.

If you haven't picked up an issue of Fatale yet now's the time. Or, you can be smart and pick up all five of the back issues and this week's #6 to be caught up on one of the best series currently hitting stands.

Hit-Girl #1

No Caption Provided

Hit-Girl gets her own spin-off series by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. Taking place between the events of Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2, Hit-Girl follows Mindy McCready as she tries to settle into a normal life with her mother and step-father.

Unfortunately, being "normal" isn't something that comes easy to Mindy. So when her parents go to sleep, she sneaks out to deliver sweet justice to the thugs of New York City and train Kick-Ass to be a better warrior.

Justice League Dark #10

No Caption Provided

It's time for Jeff Lemire and Mikel Janin to continue their adventure with the DCU's best team for tackling magic and the unexplainable.

We loved the first issue of Justice League Dark, and we expect the same reaction to Lemire's second issue on the title. Because let's be honest, Lemire is firing on all cylinders right now.

Mind the Gap #2

No Caption Provided

The mystery behind Elle's accident continues to build in issue #2. We'll get some answers to questions posed by the first issue, but don't expect everything to be made clear. In fact, expect to have a lot more questions after reading this week's installment.

Jim McCann and artist Rodin Esquejo's new series had one hell of a first issue, introducing a slew of great characters and an interesting yarn to keep us coming back month-to-month. If you didn't pick up the first issue of Mind the Gap, make sure to snag it this week along with issue #2.

Scalped #59

No Caption Provided

The end of Scalped is right around the corner and we are very sad about it. We plan to cherish these final two issues like it's no one's business.

We don't know much about this issue other than it features an epic Mexican standoff, but that's honestly all we need to hear. Bring it on, then!

Spider-Men #2

No Caption Provided

The first issue of Spider-Men really surprised us -- it didn't feel like a cheap crossover in the slightest. We also got Brian Michael Bendis writing the main 616 universe Spidey outside an Avengers book. That's a win right there.

Now that the setup is out of the way, it's time to get to the real meat of this story. We're ready for hijinks to ensue now that Peter Parker has run into Miles Morales, the Spider-Man of the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By blindisaac

American Vampire and JLD for sure. On the fence about getting ASM.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

I'm actually excited for Batman: The Dark Knight. I bought the book before because i thought it was ridiculous in the best of ways. I'm not Finch fan, but that cover is awesome. I think he draws the best blood in the business -- he needs to be on a horror book. And Hurwitz is great.

Now its time to get Joshua Hale Faikov on another DCU BOOK!

th3jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By th3jok3r

Yeah I have to say, I am hesitantly looking forward to Batman: The Dark Knight. Hurwitz was fantastic in that Penguin mini. If he is going to bring quality like that, then it looks like I may be picking yet another Bat-book.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

From this list I am getting:

The Amazing Spider man

Hit Girl

Spider men

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skaddix

JLD, ASM, Spider-men

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By RoboShark
These books deserve a mention too I think.
BPRD
Aquaman
TMNT
Manhattan Projects
cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cc1738

Only Aquaman for me.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By jsphsmth

Very excited to see that Gregg Hurwitz finally takes over BatmanTDK this week. Seems like forever since the announcement in February. Cannot wait to see if he can write Scarecrow as badass as he wrote the Penguin.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By SavageDragon

Fatale, Savage Dragon #180, Mind the Gap, maybe American Vampire.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#10  Edited By MatKrenz

Is there anybody out there that got Mind the Gap 2 weeks ago ? Cause I think theres a mistake in the shipping list.

Bigwalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bigwalt

Batman Inc and Nite Owl for me

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mega_spidey01

asm, spider-men

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By CainPanell

Before Watchmen.

Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nuec_Sol

@MatKrenz: Yes there is a mix up, I got Mind the Gap #2 on the 13th. Maybe there is a 2nd printing coming out.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

'Hit Girl' and 'Mind The Gap' for me. One of these days I gotta check out 'Scalped', I've heard good things.

Avatar image for notquitevarsity
notquitevarsity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By notquitevarsity

So excited for spider-men. Also the flash and shazam.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Good week to be a comic fan. American vampire, Batman Inc, Fatale, FF, Manhattan Projects plus AmazingS Digitally. Also getting Morning Glories Vol 3 for the Joe Eisma signing at my shop this Saturday.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By SavageDragon

@CombatSpoon86: Wheres your shop at?

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#19  Edited By Queso6p4

@jsphsmth: Hear, hear.

Dresden10589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dresden10589

I met Jeff Lemire this weekend at HeroesCon... He is such a cool dude! At first I was skeptical when he took over my beloved Justice League Dark, but he really blew me away. I'm loving what he's done with the series, and we're only one issue in... Cant wait for Wednesday to see what he comes up with next!

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zackattack529

Justice league Dark- this issue will mark if i will continue this series or not. i like the characters and the concept but the fact that this is being tied closer to Geoff Johns Justice league is kind of a turn off for me. i liked how this title was in the DCU but still had its own thing going on while other would show up. we'll see though. if not ill drop this and read secret avengers.

Flash- new 52 appearance of weather wizard. should be cool, this is a really Fun series that i cant stop reading.

amazing spiderman- first Amazing spider-man issue im ever going to read. i hope that i like it because i like spider-man :)

aquaman- in this issue whats left of the others are supposed to gather again, should be interesting to see more about these characters aquaman used to roll with back in the day and more black manta action!

new guardians- ill never stop reading this series...EVER...my favorite series, nuff said

Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scott757

Before Watchmen: Night Owl #1, Spider-Men #2, and Hit GIrl #1

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Jodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jodez

Isn't Justice League coming out this week? Surprising it doesn't make the list

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hatutzeraze

From this list, I will be getting Amazing Spidey, Nite Owl, Fatale, JLDark, and Scalped.

Personally, it would never occur to me to get excited about a new comic by Mark Millar or Brian Bendis, so Hit Girl and Spider-Men aren't making my cut.

I am getting 12 other comics that aren't on this list, like Batman Inc., Manhattan Projects, Prophet, New Deadwardians, Spaceman, and Aquaman, as well as a few others.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By jwalser3

Nightowl

Aquaman

JLD or Spiderman

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By jrock85

TDK and JLD for me.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RoboShark

That American Vampire cover is sexy.

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

Prolly gonna get the 1st & 2nd Spider-Men, maybe ASM, TDK, Nite-Owl, and definetaly Batman inc. Also I hope the new JL is good because I've been rooting for it, but I'll drop it if it gets worse. Finally that Spider-Men #2 cover is AMAZING (pun intended).

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedOwl_1

Spider-Men, Aquaman, Teen Titans, Justice League, Batman Inc. (like I could miss it..... dang it Morrinson) aaaaaaand The Flash (Gosh I luv it's art <3)

DrewHLMW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By DrewHLMW

Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, JLD and Spider-Men for me. might get Nite owl

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

#32  Edited By broo1232

Spider men

Wolverine and the X-men

X-men legacy

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wanna get that Hit-Girl miniseries...but need to get the Kick-Ass 2 TP first :/

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

I hope the return of The Lizard turns out to be a solid and cohesive story. Last time there was a Spidey villain with this much hype *Doc Ock* we had over 3-4 titles in a span of a year, with only one being any good.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#35  Edited By Deadcool

@haydenclaireheroes said:

From this list I am getting:

The Amazing Spider man

Hit Girl

Spider men

THIS
THIS
Kinglypack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kinglypack

Been pledged to dark knight since before new 52... even having to wait weeks for late releases of the golden dawn arc in the UK... dammit DC you owe me! Make this arc a good one!

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By thechessclub

"Because let's be honest, Lemire is firing on all cylinders right now."

Truer words were never spoken=]

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thenexusrebound

No I, Vampire love? For shame. At least American Vampire made the list.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By longbowhunter

From this list; Fatale, Hit Girl, JLD and Mind The Gap. Also Batman Inc., Aquaman, Manhattan Projects, Prophet and Whispers. Fingers crossed all Image books actually release this week.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By Outside_85

Super excited for the JLD

Pinching my nose shut and using only one eye on TT

Getting angry in a good way for Incredible Hulk

Waiting in excitement for the glass sky scraper the Phoenix Five are building to collapse under its own weight.

Avatar image for milosradmilac092
MilosRadmilac092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MilosRadmilac092

Just one thing Stefano Caselli isn't penciling this issue... That honor goes to Giuseppe Camuncoli... :))

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Lvenger

@k4tzm4n said:

My first copy of the new TMNT still hasn't arrived yet. Damn the monthly wait! And I need to do a major catch up on the previous 10 issues. I take it the series is still going strong?

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#43  Edited By Green ankh

SPidey and damn it i have enjoyed Dark Knight all along !!!

Darkpanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Darkpanther

Spider-men and Batman,Inc for me

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By erik_norris

@MilosRadmilac092 said:

Just one thing Stefano Caselli isn't penciling this issue... That honor goes to Giuseppe Camuncoli... :))

Good catch. Fixed.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Billy Batson

Thumbs up for Scalped and now for the complains:
Mind the Gap came out two weeks ago.
You could have mentioned the Fatale trade that's coming out this week in the Fatale section.
and Hit-Girl? Really? Millar's creator-owned series are horrible and Kick Ass was terrible. Even the art sucks, JRJR is awful.
BB

edtie97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By edtie97

What about justice league 10?

MagnaInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MagnaInferno

Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #12 - The final co-written Hickman issue, and the conclusion to the Reed Richards story (for now). Really interested to see how the Reed Richards thing is resolved in the best superhero comic being made.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Billy Batson

@k4tzm4n said:

forgot Aquaman #10 :p
BB

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Zeeguy91

From this list I'm only getting Justice League Dark. But overall, I'm also getting Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern New Guardians, Fury of Firestorm, Justice League, and Superman. I have to say that I'm shocked that neither Flash nor Aquaman are on here. Between the reveal in last month's Aquaman and the appearance of Weather Wizard in this month's Flash, I'd think at least one of them would be on here.