• 58 results
erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

Avengers vs. X-Men #2

No Caption Provided

This summer's biggest event continues under the pen of Jason Aaron and artist John Romita Jr. After the Avengers came looking for Hope, the X-Men struck the first blow and now it's Hell on Utopia. Meanwhile, the Phoenix Force continues to barrel down on earth.

After two rather slow issues (counting issue #0), we're hoping Avengers vs. X-Men #2 really kicks things into high gear.

Batman #8

No Caption Provided

It should come as no surprise that we're featuring Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Batman on this list. Issue #8 serves as the official prelude to the upcoming "Night of the Owls" event, taking over a large number of the Bat-titles.

Broken and beaten, Bruce has retreated to Wayne Manor, but he soon finds out no place is safe from the reach of the Court. Will Bruce and the rest of the Bat-family be able to battle their way out of a corner and reclaim Gotham as their own? Pick up Batman #8 to find out.

Justice League #8

No Caption Provided

Everyone, say hi to the League's newest member: Green Arrow. However, the introduction doesn't go over smoothly. This is mostly due to Aquaman not really being a fan of the Emerald Archer. It probably has something to do with Ollie loving the taste of fish, or something...

Additionally, the Shazam back-up story continues with Billy meeting his new siblings and the old wizard. Will their combined power be able to turn Billy from a little brat to a respectable do-gooder?

Manhattan Projects #2

No Caption Provided

Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra continue to reveal their vision of the history behind the Manhattan Projects. In this issue we learn the secret role the super scientists of the Manhattan Projects played in the fall of Germany in World War II. We also get to meet Werner Von Braun, the "rocket god of Deutschland" who was the only guy before 1950 to have a badass robot arm. Yup, this sounds like a Hickman comic, and it sounds awesome to boot.

Punisher #10

No Caption Provided

It's part two of the "Omega Effect" crossover in the pages of Avenging Spider-Man, Daredevil and Punisher. Spidey, Daredevil, Frank and Rachel have formed an alliance to take down the Marvel universe's largest criminal empires, and now is the time to strike. Will this rag-tag group of heroes and anti-heroes be able to put aside their differences in order to take down nearly every crime syndicate in one fell swoop? Or will their differing motivations be their undoing?

Rocketeer Adventures 2 #2

No Caption Provided

It's always a good week when a new issue of Rocketeer Adventures releases. This issue contains three stories -- one focusing on a grim battle and a race to save a soldier's life, the next spotlights a jealous Cliff keeping tabs on Betty, and the final story features a Hollywood icon in trouble.

Rocketeer Adventures 2 offers 25 pages of stories and art for the price of a regular 22-page comic. Win!

Shooters HC

No Caption Provided

Written by Eric Trautmann and Brandon Jerwa, with art by Steve Lieber, Shooters tells the story of Terry Glass, a soldier whose spirit and soul has been hardened in countless battles. But when a horrible accident shatters his world, Glass finds himself waging a war for his career, marriage and faith.

It's rare when an original graphic novel from Vertigo doesn't live up to the hype, and we think Shooters has all the trappings of a classic war story. We have faith that Trautmann, Jerwa and Lieber can deliver the goods. So if you have some extra change to spare this week, pick up Shooters.

Uncanny X-Force #24

No Caption Provided

Rick Remender kicks off a new storyline with Wolverine, Deadpool and Nightcrawler on a quest to kill Age of Apocalypse Iceman. This group got the snot kicked out of them by evil Bobby last time, so what's going to change now to give our favorite group of anti-heroes the edge? We're guessing white-hot rage and a insatiable appetite for revenge is a good place to start.

The Walking Dead #96

No Caption Provided

We are four issues away from issue #100, and what better way to celebrate that than by wrapping up the current storyline, "A Larger World." Will Rick and the gang join the network and live in peace and prosperity for the rest of their days, or will they turn down the offer and make even more enemies? The answers to those questions and more lie in wait with The Walking Dead #96.

Wolverine and the X-Men #9

No Caption Provided

This is the issue where Wolverine and the X-Men starts to tie in with Avengers vs. X-Men. Now that Wolverine is caught in the middle of a war between friends and family, which side will he choose to align himself with? Whatever his decision may be, it's sure to ruffle some feathers, both in the Avengers community and at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Man, Wolvie just can't ever catch a break.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

The comics I am getting from this list are Avengers Vs X-men #2, Justice League #8, and Wolverine and the X-men #9

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By badaboop

Can't wait for the next Batman and for the new issue of Uncanny X-Force. Should be interesting to see Phil Noto's work in it.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#3  Edited By DIOMJK

Meh.... Justice League is so out of continuity with the rest of the DCU (GL doesn't have the lantern for the ring, Batman firmly approves of the JLI etc.) that it hurts, and since we already found out more than 4 issues ago that Green Arrow doesn't get in, it makes this whole issue/arc a waste of money. Also, hopefully Wolverine and the X-men continues to be enjoyable, I wouldn't want it to suffer like most tie ins do...

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By VanAce

@DIOMJK said:

Meh.... Justice League is so out of continuity with the rest of the DCU (GL doesn't have the lantern for the ring, Batman firmly approves of the JLI etc.) that it hurts, and since we already found out more than 4 issues ago that Green Arrow doesn't get in, it makes this whole issue/arc a waste of money. Also, hopefully Wolverine and the X-men continues to be enjoyable, I wouldn't want it to suffer like most tie ins do...

I am sure it could still be an enjoyble story. Not everything has to be strictly in continuity to be enjoyable.

TexasTyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TexasTyler

I like most of the mainstream comics (DC n' Marvel) going to check out the others though and see I might like something, but gotta love America's Got Powers, Hell Yeah, Danger Club, and a few others. AVX

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By papad1992

AoA Iceman... finally!! Can't wait to read Uncanny X-Force #24!! But is Wolverine, AoA Nightcrawler, and Deadpool only in it? What about Fantomex, Psylocke, and Deathlock?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

Punisher #10, AvX #2, Justice League #8 and Batman #8.

Gonna be a wicked day!

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DIOMJK

@VanAce: The thing is that it's meant to be the flagship title, the book that brings new readers in to buy DC, so being out of continuity is a horrible thing for it to be. Not only that, but it is presented as though it is in fact canon, which doesn't make any sense with the rest of the books. And while it might be "enjoyable", we already know how its gonna end. Ollie gets rejected (as he states over 3 issues ago in his own title), and life goes on with little to no difference. At best, the only thing I can see coming from this arc is the possibility that his desire to join encourages the JLA to bring other members in, but I don't see that happening. So in the end there's no real weight, drama, thought or stakes to this arc, so I doubt it will be overly enjoyable.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cafeterialoca

>>Not Buying Thunderbolts.

You all a bunch of sillies.

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By The_Soverighn

Picking Up Batman and A VS X and Punisher This Week

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Funrush

Getting Batman, JL, and eventually I may or may not get AvX and Walking Dead.

Mrakbarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mrakbarman

I seriously wish that Marvel had someone better to draw AVX. John Romita Jr., SERIOUSLY? -.-''

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sparty-dbq

Of those, I'm getting AvX, Punisher, X-Force, and WatX. Also getting Amazing Spider-Man (no mention here?!), Thunderbolts, X-Factor and Avengers. Probably will breeze through Batman off the rack too.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By noj

Im getting Batman #8, Red Hood and the Outlaws #8, and Wonder Woman #8, and Justice League #8.

Also THANK GOD that stupid story arc of Uncanny X-Force is over. I dropped the book because of the ridiculousness of that arc. I probably wont be picking up the book again, but I will read it at some point so hopefully we see some more quality.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skaddix

AvX, Punisher, X-Force, WATXM, Justice League and Walking Dead so 6 out of 10.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Justice League #8, Batman #8, AvX #2, and Batman Beyond Unlimited #3

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Bestostero

first three is a must for me!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By longbowhunter

Batman, Manhattan Projects, Punisher, Uncanny X-Force and Walking Dead. Also a bunch of other crap.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League #8 for me out of all these listed. But the others do intrigue me so!

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Batman, Justice League, WatXM for me.

I might check out the Manhattan Projects.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By damswedon

As always 2000AD and I might try and grab this weeks The Phoenix Comic if I can get near to a shop that sells it.

I have to get last weeks comics because of the Bank Holiday so;

• Avenging Spiderman #6
  • Saucer Country #2
  • Demon Knight #8 (which hopefully breaks this rut of bad issue 8's that I've had. I'm looking at you Swamp Thing, Wolvie and the X=Men)

As for this week;

• Avengelyne #8 (Liefeld cover naturally)
  • Avengers vs. X-Men #2
  • Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child #2
  • Punisher #10
  • Thunderbolts #173 (If I can find 172 as well)
  • Wolverine and the X-Men #9 (Which is hopefully way better than the last issue)
CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22  Edited By CrimsonTempest

Batman 8, JL 8, Nightwing 8, Red Hood 8, and Batman Beyond Unlimited 3 are my pulls for this week.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JamDamage

this is a good week

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soccersss

Green Arrow is joining the Justice League...I guess it is time to bring back Justice League to my pull list. Batman and the AvX are the other two I am getting from this list

Avatar image for th3darkkn1ght24
Th3DarkKn1ght24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3DarkKn1ght24

Umm yeah so I'm definitely picking up the first 3 mentioned.. Batman #8 Justice League #8 and AvX #2 are gonna be good reads

Kaaable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kaaable

hmm ill just get the marvel ones

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By SavageDragon

@DIOMJK: Action Comics takes placein the past, and thats one of the best, and most popular (highest selling) new 52's on the shelves

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By jrock85

Batman for me.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#29  Edited By Outside_85

Wonder why you'd want to pick up JL when you get a much better book out of WW?

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I want 4 out of the 10!

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Very excited for the upcoming Batman arc. Scott Snyder has been doing an amazing job writing the Dark Knight. Gotta pick up Walking Dead too. Not a better title on the market

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zackattack529

@VanAce: it actually isnt every issue of justice league so far has been less than satisfyin compared to the other titles in the new 52.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DIOMJK

@SavageDragon: Fair enough, but what makes it different from this issue is that while we do know that ultimately Superman is still gonna live, we still aren't sure about every little thing that has happened in his past. We don't know what these re-vamped story will cost him, and what has been changed and made "fresher" in the story, not to mention seeing the new roles and personalities of his old rogues gallery. JLA has one, maybe two issues to explain how no one let Ollie into the JLA because he's kind of a dick, and even Green Arrow doesn't seem too upset about the whole thing in his title. Nothing there is really making me excited to read it.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bladewolf

I'll be picking up Avx #2 and JLA #8. I'm surprised The Shadow from Dynamite didn't make this list, since this site seemed to be promoting it heavily when it was announced a few months back.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Zeeguy91

Batman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Amazing Spider-Man, Nightwing, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Punisher, BOP, and DCU Presents for me this week.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By sinestro_GL

Batman #8 should be on all your lists :)

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By halfpastwhenever

I'm really tempted to pick up xforce.

Novaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Novaar

OK...so Comicvine says it recommends indies as well as the capes...then suggests three Wolverine titles and two with Batman in! ;) Having read the first X v A I'm not in any rush to go back to it. I'll probably pick up Justice League for the second part of Shazam. My main pick of the week, though, will be the next Elric: The Balance Lost.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Or35ti

Picking up 3 of these :)

Believe me, I wish I could say I was picking up 4 but I missed my chance to subscribe to Wolverine and the X-Men when I easily could have and now my store can't find some of the early issues...

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Great selections this wk. Uncanny X-force, Batman and Punisher are the top 3 I'm looking forward too. Rounding up is Tbolts, Manhattan Projects, Venom. and Maybe Wonder Woman

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zackattack529

Batman #8 , Punisher #10, Mathatten projects #2, no place like home #3, Green Lantern Corps #8, Nightwing #8, wonderwoman 8, Venom #16 and red hood# 8 for me this week :)

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By feargalr

na na na na na na na BATMAN!!!!

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bookerman20

So many comics to get tomorrow!!!!!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Billy Batson

@aztek_the_lost said:

No Fables or Hellblazer? :O

Man if I could only read ten comics from any given week, I think I'd go crazy...

You've been here for years and you think that the staff would mention Hellblazer?
What a noob.
BB

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By John Valentine

Avengers vs. X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, WaTXM, Walking Dead and Batman for me.

scottyhanstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By scottyhanstein

Just Batman and Punisher for me.

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49  Edited By capelesscrusader

You forgot D.B. Cooper #2. Craziest book on the shelves tomorrow.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#50  Edited By The Impersonator

I neva catch a break, bub. =P