inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

There's a lot to talk about when it comes to this issue. Not only is it the finale, but it's super-sized, as this issue caps off the volume from James Robinson, Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel (with Scott Hanna), Jesus Aburtov, and Israel Silva. Aside from wrapping up the main story, which has taken up this whole volume, this over-sized issue boast four extra stories about the individual members of the Fantastic Four.

Here's the thing. I've really loved this volume, and even though there were a couple small bumps in the road, this issue is a wonderful cap to everything that's happened. The issue reads extremely well on its own, but will read even better in trade. Everything presented in previous issues is accounted for a wrapped up here and aside from one moment, nothing feels forced. It's natural and fits within the context of the story.

There's a ton of great moments to talk about here, but one of the best was seeing Sue stand up to Psycho Man. She rises to the occasion when she's filled with doubt, even though said doubt infected her because of Psycho Man. Everyone i this book (aside from the Quiet Man and his troops) are working towards the greater good. It's an issue that embraces the idea of what it means to be a hero and putting their best foot forward. This is an issue that will leave you cheering for the heroes until the very last page.

As per usual, Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel, and Jesus Aburtov deliver a visually exciting issue. What's the best part? It's obvious it is the two page spread where we see the return of Human Torch. Aside from that spoiler moment, the art is consistent and looks wonderful. Aburtov and Silva's colors really give this issue some great depth and this book would feel complete without their talents, along with Kesel's inks.

As mentioned earlier, we do get some extra short stories here, following Johnny, Reed, Ben, and Sue. It's a really nice little cap here because while this was the journey for this whole family, these characters had their individual struggles as well. While they all stand on their own merit, the Human Torch story, written by Karl Kesel and art from Joe Bennett, Marcio Loerzer, and Nolan Woodard stands out. This is the moment where we get to see Johnny be Human Torch again.

Finally, there's a few pages with creators picking out their favorite covers. It's cool to get an inside look into what people within the industry like about this team. All of this makes the book worth the $5.99 cover price.

The Bad

The FANTASTIC FOUR has ended. At some point, it's bound to come back, but it's a real bummer to see the book go. However, the creative team got to tell their story, and that's really what matters.

The only thing that felt a bit rushed was the resolution of what happened with Puppet Master. It's a pretty brief moment that wraps up something that happened very early in the volume. It almost feels like an afterthought. As far as it goes in the grand scheme of things, it works though.

The Verdict

While it's the last issue of FANTASTIC FOUR, the volume feels appropriately capped off. Fans will get closure and some great, quick stories as well. There is really only one moment that's a little shaky in this over-sized issue. This is something fans will love to read on its own, but it will work even better in trade. If you've been loving this series, then you need to read this issue.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

the end of an era. the age of Avengers is truly upon us. Guardians of the Galaxy: Space Avengers. Inhumans: Weird Avengers. X-Men: Uncanny Avengers. Defenders: B-List Avengers. Spider-Man: The New Avenger. F4 was the last vestige of the marvel universe(mostly) untouched by the Avengers, and now it's gone. With the bastardized version of the BendisGuardians and "I REALLY WANNA BE AN AVENGER" Nova, there is almost nothing left for the non-avenger fan. Hopefully after secret wars we'll see some diversity.

GolDEnsPectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dathomiesilversurfer: I truly agree with you! That is one of the downsides of Avengers becoming really popular is that all the good titles are converged with the Avengers. Which is mainly due to the success of the movies and the MCU. :/

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mark_Stephen

In my opinion if you aren't an Avenger you don't matter to marvel. Tossing the FF away (forever? No. For as long as they feel like it no matter what the fans think? Yes) is just their way of emphasizing how little they care about the title and the characters. The insult of a 5.99 price is like the local sports team having a loosing season and jacking up the ticket prices. I'll wait a year and maybe pick this up out of the dollar box, that's probably more what it's worth.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In my opinion if you aren't an Avenger you don't matter to marvel. Tossing the FF away (forever? No. For as long as they feel like it no matter what the fans think? Yes) is just their way of emphasizing how little they care about the title and the characters. The insult of a 5.99 price is like the local sports team having a loosing season and jacking up the ticket prices. I'll wait a year and maybe pick this up out of the dollar box, that's probably more what it's worth.

Oh please, don't be so dramatic. The $5.99 price tag is because the issue is 61 pages (almost triple the size for only $2).

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crimz

Depressed that it's gone for however long that will be.

Loads of Avenger stories and parallel versions in Secret Wars, also Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men. But no Fantastic Four alternative during the event, we only see Reed in the main title and Ben in Future imperfect. It feels wrong.

Also give me my Invisible Woman solo Marvel!!!!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inferiorego  Staff

@mark_stephen said:

The $5.99 price tag is because the issue is 61 pages (almost triple the size for only $2).

you beat me to the punch...

Off-topic, but similar, it reminds me of a few years back when One More Day came out. This couple came in talking about how it's the worst thing ever. They BOUGHT a copy then filmed themselves ripping it up and throwing it in the trash and said they'll never read ASM again... They put ASM back on their pull list two weeks later.

We can all be mad it's going away, but a good story is still a good story. Now, One More Day wasn't that great, but what came afterwards, for the most part, was pretty damn awesome.

Also, this FF volume was awesome. It sucks it's gone but at least the creators got to tell a full, complete story

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:
@mark_stephen said:

The $5.99 price tag is because the issue is 61 pages (almost triple the size for only $2).

Off-topic, but similar, it reminds me of a few years back when One More Day came out. This couple came in talking about how it's the worst thing ever. They BOUGHT a copy then filmed themselves ripping it up and throwing it in the trash and said they'll never read ASM again... They put ASM back on their pull list two weeks later.

We can all be mad it's going away, but a good story is still a good story. Now, One More Day wasn't that great, but what came afterwards, for the most part, was pretty damn awesome.

Also, this FF volume was awesome. It sucks it's gone but at least the creators got to tell a full, complete story

I don't think people are upset with this issue, but more with marvels entire attitude towards the property. I don't know anyone who is going to buy it just to light it on fire, unlike OMD. We are justly disappointed by this turn of events, even a serious retcon would be preferable to dissolving the team.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people still bitching about this every other book is ending too. The main Avengers books also ended today.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:
@drellassassin said:
@mark_stephen said:

I don't think people are upset with this issue, but more with marvels entire attitude towards the property. I don't know anyone who is going to buy it just to light it on fire, unlike OMD. We are justly disappointed by this turn of events, even a serious retcon would be preferable to dissolving the team.

It'll be back after Secret Wars. I'd put money on it. I think people are just assuming that Marvel is doing it because they don't have the movie rights, which is a little silly.

@mark_stephen said:

Why are people still bitching about this every other book is ending too. The main Avengers books also ended today.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS ENDING?! I'm boycotting everything.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mark_Stephen

I'm upset because I'm a long time fan of the FF and super sized issue or no 6.00 is still a lot of money for a comic that'll take barely size minutes to read. It's not like Avengers which is now marvels cash cow and primary title, they could really throw the FF away and only publish an issue or two every now and then for copyright. At the very least between canceling the title and putting out what looks to be a lousy movie to judge from the interviews doesn't tell me that they are going to get behind the title in anyway.

I'm upset and complaining because I feel like it, because I don't like it and because I have freedom of speech. Anyone here doesn't like that? Tough. I don't care whether you like it or not and I'll fill ten times ten pages with complaints if I want to. I'm getting darn tired of getting told that I'm taking this too seriously, that I'm too dramatic or that I'm being a fan boy. This is how and feel, this is how I express myself and I will keep doing it until I have no strength left in me to do it.

And for the record I haven't bought a Spider-Man comic since OMD/BND.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Very sad to see this title go. The FF are a favorite of mine and Robinson and Kirk have done a tremendous job handling the team in this volume. It was a fitting ending with a lot of great moments. I'm looking forward to what comes next for the team in various books and their inevitable relaunch after Secret Wars.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm upset because I'm a long time fan of the FF and super sized issue or no 6.00 is still a lot of money for a comic that'll take barely size minutes to read. It's not like Avengers which is now marvels cash cow and primary title, they could really throw the FF away and only publish an issue or two every now and then for copyright. At the very least between canceling the title and putting out what looks to be a lousy movie to judge from the interviews doesn't tell me that they are going to get behind the title in anyway.

I'm upset and complaining because I feel like it, because I don't like it and because I have freedom of speech. Anyone here doesn't like that? Tough. I don't care whether you like it or not and I'll fill ten times ten pages with complaints if I want to. I'm getting darn tired of getting told that I'm taking this too seriously, that I'm too dramatic or that I'm being a fan boy. This is how and feel, this is how I express myself and I will keep doing it until I have no strength left in me to do it.

And for the record I haven't bought a Spider-Man comic since OMD/BND.

We get it, you can take your toys and go home now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who needs a Fantastic Four book when they can be liquefied and integrated into other properties? Now, instead of getting them all in one package, you can pay even more money and read about characters you don't like! Yippee!

No Caption Provided

DancingMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how people here forget that Marvel has already confirmed at the Emerald City Comic Con that there would be a new F4 comic post-Secret Wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@drellassassin: Or I could keep posting, expressing my opinion, and simply not care what bullies and low minded wise guys say about them.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Long Live the Fantastic Four! Even though they'll continue this was a great ending...for now

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I'm going to complain about is the issue numbering. Of course, Marvel can do what they want to, but to change the issue number to 645 because that's what the current issue would be IF they continued to stay with the original first volume of the title is a bit silly, in my opinion. It's not the fans who demanded that Marvel keep rebooting its main titles with new number ones every few months. What is it now? Are we on volume 4 or 5 or Fantastic Four? I can't keep up any more. Either keep the original numbering/original volume or don't. I just think it's an insult to us long time readers when they do something like this.