inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

FANTASTIC FOUR is coming to an end, and sadness grows in my heart. Luckily, we're getting some fantastic issues that seem to be naturally wrapping up as opposed to quickly forced out books that conclude all the stories. There's a lot going on in this issue, as well as the series, but what readers are given is dynamite storytelling from James Robinson, Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel, Jesus Aburtov, and Clayton Cowles. Inking isn't always something talked about, unless it's rough or just plain bad, but Karl Kesel's ink work o this book is great. I love how he heavily outlines the characters to make them pop off the page, but it's not too heavy where it becomes overly apparent. Together with Leonard Kirk and Jesus Aburtov, this team is unstoppable. Seriously, Kirk's art is gorgeous and consistent.

There's this balance of good and evil that is played with throughout the series, and the scales tip a little here as Bentley does something good because it feels good. There is this brilliant moment that artist Leonard Kirk nails out of the park where Wizard approves of what his son is doing and while Bentley seems pleased, at first, there's this follow-up panel showing remorse. Kirk nails facial expressions every time. And strangely enough, following Bentley's journey in this series was something that became extremely gratifying.

How does James Robinson stay one step ahead of my brain? While John Eden is talking to Reed Richards, who is a bit tied up, Eden lays out his whole plan to Reed and as this is happening, I can't help but think "this dude is a Bond villain. He's laying out the whole plot and Reed is going to stop him." Moments later, Eden says this "I'm not a spy movie villain, divulging my plans in detail ahead of time so you can prevent them..." Get out of my head...

Since I started reviewing this book, one thing I've said over and over and over again is that I love how Robinson forges a connection to Marvel's past in this series, mainly the 80s and 90s. I'm not going to flatout spoil the final page, but I will say I'm so excited to see the person on the final page, and that's one thing Robinson has been nailiong on this series. He keeps the reader invested in what's coming next. The guy really knows how to put together a solid cliffhanger.

The Bad

From personal experience, while this series is good, but it reads better in trade. The series does have a lot going on, from month to month, and at times, it can be a bit much to keep up with it all. A lot of these stories start to come to a head here and some of it will make you want to go back and reread a lot of the series, which is both a good and a bad thing.

This isn't on the creative team, but more on Marvel. Please don't put the issue numbers on the bottom of the book. It makes it hard to refind the issue in your short/long boxes later down the road when you want to reread it.

The Verdict

FANTASTIC FOUR is the best it has been in quite some time. James Robinson pours a lot of love and creativity into this book and gives the reader some great stories that connect to the history of Marvel, rather that trying to forget it all exists. It may be ending, but this book has not slipped in quality at all. Sure, there can be almost too much going on storywise, but it's all good. I highly recommend checking out this series and catching up before it all ends.

capshield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Its a damn disgrace that Marvel is cancelling this classic Comic, that started the Marvel age of comics. But what can you expect from a company that puts out books like Thor Girl. I mean really? Yes you had better enjoy the final issues of this great run by Robinson and Kirk. Strange really, there have been some great runs of this book in the past few years. Hickman's was a very good run. Makes you wonder where their heads are at in Marvel land. Up their asses from the looks of it.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2 inferiorego  Staff

Its a damn disgrace that Marvel is cancelling this classic Comic, that started the Marvel age of comics. But what can you expect from a company that puts out books like Thor Girl. I mean really? Yes you had better enjoy the final issues of this great run by Robinson and Kirk. Strange really, there have been some great runs of this book in the past few years. Hickman's was a very good run. Makes you wonder where their heads are at in Marvel land. Up their asses from the looks of it.

Or everything is essentially getting cancelled because of Secret Wars. I have a feeling this book will be back in the fall.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm sure that when this run of Fantastic Four ends that it'll never return. This is it people no more Fantastic Four ever(!) Seriously though I give till the month after Secret Wars for it to return.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe, maybe not. Marvel might decide to keep Fantastic Four cancelled until Fox comes out with it's Fantastic Four 2 film in June 2017. I trust such will not be the case, but it is a possibility.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike the Fantastic Four and yet have loved this run. Not even sure why I gave it a chance to begin with. Just been really entertaining.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bet it'll be back when Marvel Studios gets the rights.

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the only reason that marvel is canceling this book is because they don't want to promote fox's movie. Same with Deadpool.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I like how people are talking about the whole fox marvel movie rights and not the issue itself.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capshield: why not ? I mean a frog Thor, a space horse Thor, so why Thor Girl cannot be accepted ? Many weirds things have happen to Thor. So I don't see what is wrong ? Even Walt Simonson don't complaint about Thor Girl

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you may have mistaken the Wizard for someone else

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Great issue. This always come close to knocking Black Widow off as my favorite book. The Fantastic Four are my favorite team/family in comics and Robinson is definitely doing them justice. I hope he is able to close out this volume on a high note.

I do believe that the book will be back as Secret Wars leads into the new status quo and I hope whoever takes over the series is as true to the family as Robinson and Kirk have been.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoyed the issue, wished I kept up on it instead of dropping it a few months. I wonder after the 616/1610 mash up if were going to have a young crazy Reed Richards running around. As the Council of Reeds and Ultimate Enemy showed Richards has the potential of being the most dangerous villain in the All New Ultimate Superior Marvel Universe.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: the fact that she's a girl isn't really the problem it's the fact that she calls herself Thor even though that's his birth name not a mantle no matter how much marvel tries to make it seem like one. And as for the frog that was just Thor turned into a frog and Beta Ray never called himself Thor when he lifted Mjolnir.

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skyhawk1

Now watch, if by some small miracle the FF movie is a hit, and all is said in done in Crisis er I mean Secret Wars, the title will be back in full force.

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makentsu: Eric Masterson called himself Thor while he was the wielder of Mjolnir though, so sometimes the name does move with the power.

If you've tried the current Thor run and don't like it, that's a shame, but you can be sure Thor Odinson will be back (2017 at the latest to match the movie). Personally I'm loving everything Aaron's doing with the series at the moment

As for FF, of course it will be back. Series get cancelled al the time, and they often come back better than ever. I also expect this to be back with Secret Wars or shortly after. The movie will have little to do with it. Comic readers make up such a tiny portion of the movie goers, that the comic existing or not will make no difference to the movies profits.

I'm actually looking forward top see what comes out of the cancellation, since I'd like to see the FF characters involved in other parts of the marvel universe more often, such as having Sue or Johnny in The Avengers, or the GoTG or something. A change of pace is good sometimes, and it's be nice top see members other than Reed get involved in evens outside the FF

Fantastic4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: I would say your right, in fack l know your right.FF fan for life baby!!!!

jstopka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark my words... Franklin Richards is The Beyonder!

Fantastic4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By batmite1995

My favourite marvel comic is ending

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Guess it is a good thing that a title marvel is tossing into the trashcan and characters marvel has distorted since cw is getting a good story send off. I'll look for it in the quarter bins next year after marvel has tossed it and the characters into the shredder and the movie has bombed.

Pokedexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleepwalker!!!!!!!!! Gah, I want Fantastic Four to keep going! Just cuz Sleepwalker!!!!!

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn this current run is fantastic, and the slow build up spot on!

CaptainCyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weather Wizard is in this? I'll have to check out this Marvel/DC crossover ;)

egudino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capshield: I don't get why they changed the issue numbers it kind of bugged me