Fan-Fic board: 5 things I think make a great user

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CapFanboy

This comes from me scrolling down the board and seeing several topics with 20+ views and around 3 posts, also from peeking into threads and finding rather heated discussions. This is what I think the perfect Fic'r should be like, others might have different views or think of things I haven't thought of and to be honest, we all have different views on what it takes to be a great fic'r and contributer to the board in general. Here are 5 things I think make-up a brilliant Fic'r!

1) Get involved

If you visit the board often you should be doing this already. It's not a particularly scary thing to do as I find most Fic'rs here are accepting of other users dropping in or new users who just want to write. It's not a formal board by any means and (from what I've seen) everyone here appreciates a good laugh, even if it's occasionally at their expense. If you can't joke around or chat with users without feeling awkward, why don't you try and write something, maybe that can be a conversation opener between you and someone who likes your writing or wants to help you improve.

2) Comment

Some people just aren't good at giving criticism. I accept that, especially because I am one of them. I can't bring myself to pick apart someone's writing and point out things they've done wrong, it's why I'm a terrible editor. However, just because I can't give criticism doesn't mean I can't comment. Even a "good work" or "I would like to see more" can mean a lot more than you think. You might feel it doesn't contribute much but when someone appreciates your work enough to praise you, it's a brilliant feeling, and it makes the time you spent on it not seem wasted.

3) Feedback

If you can criticise, then all the better. Everybody here knows they're not the greatest writer in the world, otherwise they'd be getting million dollar advancements on their next best-seller rather than writing Batman meets Supergirl Fan-Fiction on Comic Vine. But they'd like to be better, and you can help them do that. Don't think that just because you're not a good writer yourself, you can't suggest improvements in the story that would be more appealing to you. Many writers love criticism, and even those that find it difficult to take should appreciate you taking time from your day (or sleepless night) to think of ways they could be better

4) Arguments

Don't cause them. Or continue them. I admit, I have been at fault at several of these, another reason why I'm not qualified to write this. But if it's simply a disagreement on characters or techniques then continue them by all means, as long as it remains civil and friendly. Discussions are fun, arguments are terrible and lead to a lot of consequences and could even force a mod (our favourite being ) to step in. We all want the board (and the site) to be fun and friendly, and by provoking other users you are just making enemies for yourself.

5) Games and other

Even if you're not a good writer there are several topics you can create to help new users or add to the vibrant atmosphere here on the fic board. Games have proven to be popular and creatively stimulating, acting as a pass-time and even a wind-down for some busy writers, beware though these games can get quite silly and sometimes downright absurd (check out mine/awesam's one post story thread for an example...) so if you're one for order then they may not be for you. Helpful topics are also a welcome addition, if you're a new user and have experienced something you think other user's should be aware of when they join or even a CV FF veteran with some top tips to provide, create a topic! The worst thing that can happen is someone doesn't agree with it, but you're contributing and that's what's important! Right?!

CapFanboy is that user who writes those terrible fake interviews called Gah and the occasional Marvel: Genesis work (which you can find amongst other wonderful groups over on Prime's my new revamped collection thread) as well as having several threads pinned on the fic section somehow...who accused Poet of bribery? Who?! I'll have their head.

-Cappie

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Joygirl

Pretty sure I do all this stuff, with the added bonus of being completely psychotic.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CapFanboy

@Joygirl said:

Pretty sure I do all this stuff, with the added bonus of being completely psychotic.

..Psychot--psycho--ps--ARGH!!!!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Joygirl

@CapFanboy said:

@Joygirl said:

..Psychot--psycho--ps--ARGH!!!!

Just like that! You're so close!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Joygirl said:

He Don't know me very well, do he?
He Don't know me very well, do he?
AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By AweSam

Stop contributing to the community and write more Gah!, dammit!

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CapFanboy

@AweSam said:

I feel I need to do both and balance out the good with the bad. If I'm ruining the board with Gah's, I should improve it with helpful threads. Kinda like Sentry vs Void.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AweSam

@CapFanboy said:

@AweSam said:

I feel I need to do both and balance out the good with the bad. If I'm ruining the board with Gah's, I should improve it with helpful threads. Kinda like Sentry vs Void.

I thought Sentry and Void were both crap.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CapFanboy

@AweSam said:

@CapFanboy said:

@AweSam said:

I thought Sentry and Void were both crap.

I like Sentry if he's not Bendisized.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#10  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@CapFanboy said:

who accused Poet of bribery? Who?! I'll have their head.

speaking of which... I know this is a bad time, but I think you owe me some money for......altering the position of some of your threads...

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CapFanboy

@The Poet said:

@CapFanboy said:

who accused Poet of bribery? Who?! I'll have their head.

speaking of which... I know this is a bad time, but I think you owe me some money for......altering the position of some of your threads...

All in the envelope...

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CapFanboy

@LadyLigeia said:

Another great thread.

:)

Why thank you xD